Not surprised

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldman33. Show oldman33's posts

Not surprised

Where did it all go wrong? What 'harm' besides getting a greedy agent, did the team do? There are very few players today in any sport where the word 'loyalty' sticks any more. This player was drafted very high  with potential for the team. The organization coddled him along through injuries and persevearance. Any team wouild be glad to have him on their lineup. As soon as someone smells green, they have to dump him. I could be talking about Jumbo Joe- sound familiar? All the work and team chemistry from last season is gone. Lets face it, the team really sagged after the All-Star game. Kessel was a no-show come playoof time- again.  Don't expect the same results this season. Look at all the departures now. What cloud is hanging over this organization. If Ray Bourque can be shipped packing. Right now there are too many negatives and the season hasn't even started.  I guess I'll have to wait for 2011. Where's Ken Linesman or Dave Poulin when you need them? Old time hockey. I can't wait to see the players we got in the lineup this year.  Two steps forward and three steps back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CupRun2009. Show CupRun2009's posts

Re: Not surprised

What did you expect them to do, oldman? Why don't you put your GM hat on and tell us what your perfect solution would've been to the Kessel situation? Sure, I would've liked to get a ready to go player as well, but we have something like 5 picks in the 1st 2 rounds next yr. If nothing else, it's bait at the deadline. It definitely stinks losing your leading goal scorer, but it's not as if that's all they have. We have at least 6 guys who have and can score 20-25+ goals (Savard, Sturm, Lucic, Wheeler, Krecji, Kobasew) - and that's WITHOUT Kessel. How many teams besides Detroit can say that? My point is that yes, it blows that, because of salary cap, we couldn't resign him for what he wanted. But then again, I'm sure you were estatic that they signed Bergeron to a 4.75 mil/per deal 3 yrs ago. Well, I think most people will agree that he's not a 4.75 mil/yr player right now and if, for instance, we didn't have that contract, maybe we sign Kessel. But hindsight is 20/20 and no one could've ever known that Bergeron would get 2 concussions and be a shell of his former self. At least we got a couple picks that will be top 10 in the next couple years and - possibly - ready to go players at that point.

Please, though, enlighten us as to what your perfect solution would've been (keep in mind that it doesn't only take 30 seconds to pick up the phone and make a trade to clear space, so saying "well, you simply get rid of this guy" might not work in reality)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

In Response to Re: Not surprised:
    What did you expect them to do, oldman? Why don't you put your GM hat on and tell us what your perfect solution would've been to the Kessel situation? Sure, I would've liked to get a ready to go player as well, but we have something like 5 picks in the 1st 2 rounds next yr. If nothing else, it's bait at the deadline. It definitely stinks losing your leading goal scorer, but it's not as if that's all they have. We have at least 6 guys who have and can score 20-25+ goals (Savard, Sturm, Lucic, Wheeler, Krecji, Kobasew) - and that's WITHOUT Kessel. How many teams besides Detroit can say that? My point is that yes, it blows that, because of salary cap, we couldn't resign him for what he wanted. But then again, I'm sure you were estatic that they signed Bergeron to a 4.75 mil/per deal 3 yrs ago. Well, I think most people will agree that he's not a 4.75 mil/yr player right now and if, for instance, we didn't have that contract, maybe we sign Kessel. But hindsight is 20/20 and no one could've ever known that Bergeron would get 2 concussions and be a shell of his former self. At least we got a couple picks that will be top 10 in the next couple years and - possibly - ready to go players at that point. Please, though, enlighten us as to what your perfect solution would've been (keep in mind that it doesn't only take 30 seconds to pick up the phone and make a trade to clear space, so saying "well, you simply get rid of this guy" might not work in reality)
    Posted by CupRun2009

Picks will not score this year, all they will do is replace Wheeler, Lucic, Savard etc. next year when they ask for money that will not fit under the cap. It is a cycle that I don't want to see and the B's have a legitimate shot this year, so I wanted compensation that will help now. ST

Top ten pick for years-?  I wouldn't bet the farm on this. Burke will get them into the playoffs.

6 20 goals scorers does not equal the cup. The B's hold the record with 11 -20 goal scorers and never got the cup that year either.

Yes Bergy's concussion was unforseeable but signing Sturm at 3.5M or Ryder at 4M were both way over the top. Sturm has never hit 30 he should have been closer to Kobie's salary. Ryder after the previous year in Montreal was lucky to be signed at all, yes Guy treated him like shiite but he still missed many a chance in the games I seen.

Perfect solution, there is none, no players with his goals would fit into our budget, but there are a few who could've scored thirty with upside to other parts of their games. He could have been signed before going after Morris, which every fan thought when Ward was shipped.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to Re: Not surprised:
    In Response to Re: Not surprised :  Picks will not score this year, all they will do is replace Wheeler, Lucic, Savard etc. next year when they ask for money that will not fit under the cap. It is a cycle that I don't want to see and the B's have a legitimate shot this year, so I wanted compensation that will help now. ST Top ten pick for years-?  I wouldn't bet the farm on this. Burke will get them into the playoffs. 6 20 goals scorers does not equal the cup. The B's hold the record with 11 -20 goal scorers and never got the cup that year either. Yes Bergy's concussion was unforseeable but signing Sturm at 3.5M or Ryder at 4M were both way over the top. Sturm has never hit 30 he should have been closer to Kobie's salary. Ryder after the previous year in Montreal was lucky to be signed at all, yes Guy treated him like shiite but he still missed many a chance in the games I seen. Perfect solution, there is none, no players with his goals would fit into our budget, but there are a few who could've scored thirty with upside to other parts of their games. He could have been signed before going after Morris, which every fan thought when Ward was shipped.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

Maybe so.  But it's not like the old days when Jacobs' cheapness was an issue.  There is a salary cap now and they have spent to it each year.  PC is simply doing what the Pat's do each year. He's not going to spend $$$ on one dimensional guys.  Would Bill Belichick do that ?  No.  By acquiring drafts picks he's looking 5-6 down the road.  Chara, Savard, etc.  will be gone by then.  PC is no dummy.

Sections
Shortcuts