Okay dammit, down to business.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernBrewin. Show NorthernBrewin's posts

Okay dammit, down to business.

Regular season? Pffft...who cares?

Who will meet in the Stanley Cup finals this coming season?

East: I call Boston.
    West: I call Vancouver.

Result:............................................Boston in 7

What say ye?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: Okay dammit, down to business.

In Response to Okay dammit, down to business.:
    [QUOTE]Regular season? Pffft...who cares? Who will meet in the Stanley Cup finals this coming season? East: I call Boston. West: I call Vancouver. Result:............................................Boston in 7 What say ye?
    Posted by NorthernBrewin[/QUOTE]

What happens if Henrik and Daniel Sedin run into each other on the ice and go down with crippling injuries? What happens if Tuukka Rask decides to join a monastary?

In other words, I hate to sound discouraging, but hey, the playoffs are an age away, let alone the finals.

I for one am looking forward to the regular season. I want to see Savard and Horton click. I want to see Seguin grow and develop. I want to see Lucic pound the tar out of Komisarek. I want to watch the Leafs tank again.

It's not just the destination, it's the journey. Enjoy it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In the age of mediocrity and NHL ploys... parity exists.  Given those parameters in thinking well the Bruins have a good chance.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Okay dammit, down to business.:
    [QUOTE]In the age of mediocrity and NHL ploys... parity exists.  Given those parameters in thinking well the Bruins have a good chance.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

I'm curious over the word "mediocrity." I think the game of hockey is greater than it's ever been. Sure, there are stars in every era who would be great at any time, but as a rule, sports achievements just keep getting better and better as human beings get bigger, stronger and faster. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay dammit, down to business. : I'm curious over the word "mediocrity." I think the game of hockey is greater than it's ever been. Sure, there are stars in every era who would be great at any time, but as a rule, sports achievements just keep getting better and better as human beings get bigger, stronger and faster. 
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]
    Hockey's always been great, except for a few years when they were playing that trap game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay dammit, down to business. : I'm curious over the word "mediocrity." I think the game of hockey is greater than it's ever been. Sure, there are stars in every era who would be great at any time, but as a rule, sports achievements just keep getting better and better as human beings get bigger, stronger and faster. 
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Except goaltenders, who are just getting bigger equipment.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay dammit, down to business. : Hockey's always been great, except for a few years when they were playing that trap game.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

That's a different thing, though, isn't it? The players' talent is what it is, regardless of the style of game being played, isn't it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay dammit, down to business. : Except goaltenders, who are just getting bigger equipment.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I disagree NAS.  While you're right about the equipment being bigger, it's also lighter.  So the goalies are quicker.  And they're bigger.  Look at the goalies over 6 feet tall in the league now.  Plus, all these kids playing these days have had the advantage of all the specialized training over the years - goalie camps and what not. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay dammit, down to business. : I disagree NAS.  While you're right about the equipment being bigger, it's also lighter.  So the goalies are quicker.  And they're bigger.  Look at the goalies over 6 feet tall in the league now.  Plus, all these kids playing these days have had the advantage of all the specialized training over the years - goalie camps and what not. 
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]
    Yup, and you can't be on drugs like Grant Fuhr was these days.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Heart says: Bruins vs. Sharks in Final...Bruins in 7.

Head says:  Caps vs. Sharks in Final...Caps in 6.

(Let's go, heart!)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]Heart says: Bruins vs. Sharks in Final...Bruins in 7. Head says:  Caps vs. Sharks in Final...Caps in 6. (Let's go, heart!)
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    LoL, the caps will crumble in the 1st or 2nd round like they do every year

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay dammit, down to business. : Hockey's always been great, except for a few years when they were playing that trap game.

Those (the trap) were the days of mediocrity, now parity seems to make the regular season a rush to see who can score in a shootout.  The regular season loses it's verve and excitement as teams play for the tie, ot, then the shootout. Thank goodness we will not see an overtime decide the playoff eight seed position like the Ranger/Flyer game last year! Now I love hockey in any form. Don't go often enough to suit my soul but I have seen a few games in the first row seats.  Horton with Savard or Krejci will be interesting and imo awesome.  Seguin will grow more exciting as the season unwines.  Although there are question marks on the offense with last year's performance in mind, the defense is a mystery to me.  I hope all who write glowingly of "Hindenberg" or Sidenberg are correct on his puck playing skills.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay dammit, down to business. : Yup, and you can't be on drugs like Grant Fuhr was these days.

It's all about era's.....all the greats from different era's would be great in this day and age as well.  That's not what I'm talking about.  The goalies these days are good.  Plain and simple.  All around the league.  I'm not saying Roberto Luongo is better than Grant Fuhr or Ken Dryden.  But the advantages for him to be great are much more prevelant today than in the past: Bigger, lighter equipment, the best physical conditioning programs and training regimes, healthy eating habits, etc.

Believe me....seeing Cheevers play in todays age would be great!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Found this on the website linked in the Toronto track record thread:
    http://www.crunchsports.com/category/NHL/2011-Stanley-Cup--Washington-Capitals-among-trio-of-favorites-201009050005/

So the 'safe' bets are the Blackhawks, Capitols, and Penguins.  Looks like the Bruins are considered a third-tier team. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Found this on the website linked in the Toronto track record thread: http://www.crunchsports.com/category/NHL/2011-Stanley-Cup--Washington-Capitals-among-trio-of-favorites-201009050005/ So the 'safe' bets are the Blackhawks, Capitols, and Penguins.  Looks like the Bruins are considered a third-tier team. 
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

It's a betting site, and I have no idea what criteria they use to establish their odds. And I suppose getting your bets in early is de rigeur, but training camps haven't even opened. If I'm wagering a large amount of money, I'd want to see who's going where (what's NJ going to do to get under the cap, for example) and who's healthy.

That said, if the Bruins are considered third-tier, fine. There's something to be said for flying under the radar, but unfortunately I don't think their opponents will be underestimating them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay dammit, down to business. : It's a betting site, and I have no idea what criteria they use to establish their odds. And I suppose getting your bets in early is de rigeur, but training camps haven't even opened. If I'm wagering a large amount of money, I'd want to see who's going where (what's NJ going to do to get under the cap, for example) and who's healthy. That said, if the Bruins are considered third-tier, fine. There's something to be said for flying under the radar, but unfortunately I don't think their opponents will be underestimating them.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]
    I actually consider betting on hockey to be borderline nuts to begin with; doing so before training camps have begun is probably a sign of sickness.  That said, those lines are (presumably) coming from people with experience and a vested ($) interest in getting the odds right.
    I would say that being in the top 8 at this point should be taken as a good sign.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay dammit, down to business. : LoL, the caps will crumble in the 1st or 2nd round like they do every year
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE]

Detriot did the same thing for years as well, till they eventually became a "dynasty", its going to be harder to put the right players in place during the salary cap, but I wouldnt write a team that has been that good off so easily.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I wonder if this is the year Ovechkin suffers a serious injury. You know it's coming the way he plays, and any of his knee on knee shots could go the other way at any time.  He missed time last year for that reason, though I'm not sure what the team record was with him out.  They're going with very little experience in goal in Varlamov and Neuvirth, too; that could backfire.  I might not write the Caps off, but they're on the verge of being labelled Sharks East and I think they're more likely to end up there than they are to become a dynasty.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dynasty in the cap era is going to be very tough for anyone to achieve, but, for all their "failures" the caps are a very young and talented team at this point in time, lots of guys with tremendous upsides, I think the sharks comparision, I get where your coming from, but I think they still have plenty of time to get it done as well, I mean, all these  great players can't win the big one, till they do.. Thornton wins one this year he'll be 31, not exactly ancient in hockey years, and then all of that "he's not a winner" goes away forever, just ask peyton manning..

Even besides that, the caps have AO, who plays with a passion that I don't think anyone from the sharks top 3 can even remotely touch.. He wants a cup, where as for thornton it might be more of a "yeah if it happens great, if not oh well"

Sections
Shortcuts