OTTAWA SUN: Chiarelli looking to dump Timmy Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins3. Show bruins3's posts

OTTAWA SUN: Chiarelli looking to dump Timmy Thomas

Bruins doubting Thomas?

With team mire in slump, sources say GM Chiarelli listening to offers for Vezina-winning goalie

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/columnists/bruce_garrioch/2010/02/06/12775246.html

The Bruins might be on the verge of trying to deal Vezina Trophy winner Tim Thomas.

While it would have been unthinkable when Thomas was signed to a four-year, $20-million (all terms US) contract extension last spring, two league executives confirmed to the Sun on Saturday that Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has held talks with teams looking for goaltending help.

With the Bruins stuck in a miserable 10-game losing streak following Saturday’s 3-2 shootout loss to the Canucks, sources say Chiarelli hasn’t completely dismissed teams that have called about Thomas.

The sticking point with the 35-year-old Thomas, who has only one win in his last nine starts, is he has a no-movement clause in the deal he signed last April.

If Thomas were to waive his clause, his reasonable $5-million cap hit through the 2011-12 season would make him attractive on the trade market.

What isn’t so attractive is Thomas’ lacklustre 13-15-7 record, with a 2.52 GAA to go with a .915 save percentage.

Last season when he won the Vezina, Thomas posted a 36-11-7 record with a 2.10 GAA and a .933 save percentage

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HABH8R. Show HABH8R's posts

Re: OTTAWA SUN: Chiarelli looking to dump Timmy Thomas

I hope something can be done, if not for this year for next.

Hope against hope.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

I like TT BUT IF THE Bruins can dump salary and get a scorer for him do it. TT has not played in 3 games and Rask is winning so far today in Habs land. Maybe the Bruins can score that 3rd. goal and give us a chance to break the streek. We will see because I heard a trade is coming.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HABH8R. Show HABH8R's posts

I just read the article.

TT would fetch a top 6 forward?!?!?!?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deejm2112. Show deejm2112's posts

Dont like it....TT has heart and you still need to score goals (that "score" thing again). Maybe he'll get traded to an eventual cup winner though, it's only way any of these guys ever win one, it'd be good to see him win one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HABH8R. Show HABH8R's posts

I like his story too

but if he's on a winner...its as a back-up (an expensive back-up).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Most of you underestimate both TT and Chiarelli.  TT will bring a good player and a pick.  Chiarelli's ALWAYS known that he could move TT at the point when Rask showed he was ready to be the B's #1 goalie.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Plenty of backups this summer to choose from Plenty...

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position/#Goalie

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins3. Show bruins3's posts

Really BruinsCountry? Is that why he gave Thomas a NMC for the first 3 years of the deal?

Stop your blind cheerleading would you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Really B's 3? 

These things usually take care of themselves.  No player wants to play where he isn't wanted.  As many pro athletes have done before him, TT will take a little extra money in exchange for waiving his no-trade clause. 

Stop your ignorant cynicism would you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBeijingJT. Show BostonBeijingJT's posts

i bet its rask and not thomas. why would they not play thomas today? looks like a showcase move to me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins3. Show bruins3's posts

"TT will take a little extra money in exchange for waiving his no-trade clause"

What are you talking about? Yuo've heard of da salary cap right... You also know that is not within the rules right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Raycroft as a backup would be so IRONIC!

I'm EVALUATING!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 640Toronto. Show 640Toronto's posts

ummm pbergeron37 aka dkrejci46 funny you talk about "instant ejection" as you were banned on these boards for being a troll and a snot nosed little brat. Why don't you go back to playing with your Tonka trucks

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Most interesting post in a long time.  I would have to agree if we could pull Versteeg and possible a defensive player it would be very interesting.  My only worry is how quickly Boston fans eat their own...in particular their young.  If we move Thomas I hope we don't shred Tuukka for every mistake he makes.  Look at all the sh#t Lucic is getting as a 21 year old 3rd year player.  Yeah i know he has a large contract but I think we need to let the kids (Wheeler, Lucic, Krejci, Rask) grow up a little.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssags111. Show ssags111's posts

bostonbeijing -

Actually, I took Rask's start today in back to back games as confirmation TT is being dangled around the league.  Usually hockey players (goalies especially) are sat when a trade is imminent so they don't get injured. 

Trading Rask would be a giant mistake, it doesn't make sense to trade Rask and keep a 35 yr old goalie.  I like Thomas and I won't criticize him but he is not the future.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

B's 3, My bad, as unlike some other pro sports, the NHL doesn't permit buyouts of no-trade clauses.  But it still comes back to the fact that players don't want to stay where they're no longer wanted.  The NMC protects TT from the two things he wants to avoid most at this point in his career.  He gets to approve any trade which means he doesn't have to play for a bad team; also, he cannot be sent to the AHL by his new club.  Thomas has been there and done that more than most; he will definitely approve any trade that sends him to a legit Cup contender. 

PC knew this would be the case when he signed TT to the contract you so bitterly criticize him for.  The fact that there's demand for TT now proves that point.  When the B's get a good player and pick for TT, what will you say then?  That PC was lucky to unload him?   That won't be the case.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from norwoodmustang. Show norwoodmustang's posts

Chiarelli's ALWAYS known that he could move TT at the point when Rask showed he was ready to be the B's #1 goalie.

Totally FALSE! This is yet another Chiarelli blunder... One of many.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBeijingJT. Show BostonBeijingJT's posts

Chicago should take Thomas. Niemi and Huet are either shutout goalies or porous.

In return I would love to have a guy like sharp or bolland or barker. I don't think they would get versteeg.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Hey norwood can you elaborate on how it's "totally false"?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from HABH8R. Show HABH8R's posts

sharp u serious

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

In a talent sense I agree with you bostonbeijing, I think Thomas could play well in Chicago and they could use him. I'd also love to have Barker, I think he would be solid on defense and help us move Wideman by having his replacement ready. But salary cap issues as they are I don't think they could be able to pull it off.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Sorry, but you're missing the point Norwood.  After his great year last season, TT is now a proven commodity in goal.  Thomas showed all of hockey how he can play when he has a good team in front of him...a Vezina winner as the best goalie in the NHL.  If PC hadn't signed TT to that contract, some other club surely would have.  By signing him, PC knew he would have a tradeable asset as soon as Rask showed he was ready.  Need further evidence?  There's demand for TT as we speak, and most of it's coming from Cup contenders I'm sure.  It'll be interesting to see what B's get for him.  I'm thinking a good player and a pick. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Barker & Versteeg 6.16M cap hit,  TT 5M doesn't work.

Versteeg is more of what we have, we need a scorer. We are full of 2nd liners need a legit 1st liner.

Love to have Barker though. Do not see Chi unloading until playoff run is over unless it is Huet. They need to dump 10M for next year to sign 8 players at minimum plus whomever they dump.

I'm EVALUATING!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

If PC trades Rask he should be hanged from the rafters. If trading Thomas can get us some offense then I'm all for it.

My concern then would be who backs up Rask? Is Sabourin the right guy for the job, or would PC have to pick up another goalie?

Personally, I think Sabby is a good backup. But he's not someone who I'm comfortable with taking over should Rask be out for any length of time.