OTTAWA SUN: Chiarelli looking to dump Timmy Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: OTTAWA SUN: Chiarelli looking to dump Timmy Thomas

//Barker & Versteeg 6.16M cap hit,  TT 5M doesn't work./

Isn't evrything pro-rated now ? Chicago is looking to shed some salary correct ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

First, this is a Bruce Garrioch column.  It's the print equivalent of Eklund.  It's Al Strachan or Steve Simmons - basically, prototypes of Eklund.  So don't burn your Thomas jerseys.  It also says that ChiaPete isn't hanging up when people call - so people are calling, which is news, and that means there are at least some offers.

Second - and I loooove this - "A goalie like Thomas should be able to fetch a top-six forward, top-four blueliner and a solid backup goalie."  Tells you just how differently others perceive Thomas - that is, as the reigning Vezina winner and a top-five goalie.  If you think that's him, then 5M is pretty reasonable.  And pretty much any player will waive an NTC for the right move.  They're basically used for what Sheldon Souray and Dany Heatley have used them for - having some say in where you want to live and play.

Imagine getting Umberger or Torres, and Jan Hejda, and a 2 from the 'jackets?
    Jaime Benn, Karlis Skrastins and a pick from Dallas?
    Or, speaking of teams that need an upgrade in goal - Kronwall, Cleary, and a pick from Detroit?  All sounds nuts if you're in the TThater camp, but remember, this is the price for teams who think TT is a top five goaltender under contract for three more years at a reasonable cap hit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Don't forget no matter who we might get if a trade did occur we would also need room for a legit back up goaltender.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RLSJR65. Show RLSJR65's posts

I think there is a little overreaction here.   Actively seeking to dump isn't the same as being open to offers.   I'd bet we could make the same statement for 90% of the players on this team.  If we can get a good deal on any of these players it's worth considering.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

True San Dog cap hit is prorated, we would be close this year with a minimum goalie from Prov. Though I still do not want Versteeg!

Next year we will have 12M for 9 players including 4d and 5F.

Signed for next year Berg, Luc, Sav, Bitz, Ryder, Sturm, Krej, Chara, Hunwick, Wideman, Rask & TT.

Unsigned F- RFA Wheeler, Pail Sob   UFA Recc Beg Thorn Satan Sob
                 D- UFA Morris & Ference    RFA Stuart, Boyc, McQ

Add Barker & Verst minus TT 11M for 8 players Goalie 3d and 4F.

Wheel & Stuart 5.5M - 5.5 for 6
    Boyc & McQ     1.5   - 4  for 4
    Pail & Thorn     1.5   - 2.5 for 2
    Goalie and Rook  for 2.5

Lines
    Luc Sav Vers
    Wheel krej Ryder
    Sturm Berg Pail
    Bitz Rook Thorn

Chara  Bark
    Stuart Wideman
    Boyc  Wolf

Rask
    ??Sab

We do not look improved, Versteeg could be moved down to replace Wheel or Ryder but he is not a top liner.

I wish PC would make his moves, this is getting harder and harder to guess, but oh yeah...

I'm EVALUATING!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

One more time - "making moves" is not making up his frikkin mind at Starbucks.  He's not staring at a menu bedevilled by choice.  Sounds to me like Chiarelli's the kind of guy who decides what sort of move makes sense to him, proposes it, and lets the other guy decide if it makes sense to him too. It's not Brian Burke, the only guy left, it seems, who can trade a package of twenty pounds of chicken faeces and get back a chicken salad sandwich.  But not every GM has twenty pounds of guano lying around.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

The Sun article says Chiarelli—let's count the waffle phrases here—1. "might be." 2. "on the verge of." 3. "trying."

This means Chiarelli hasn't "completely dismissed" GM's who also "might be" "on the verge of" "trying" to trade for Thomas.

This just "might be" a ploy by Chiarelli who is "on the verge of" "trying" to motivate Thomas. It seemed to work last week with Ryder.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheoryNeutral. Show TheoryNeutral's posts

I read somewhere that tt isn't the most liked guy in the locker room. Wonder if it's true.

In any case, no offense meant to anyone but this Rask conversation was had at the start of the season and the Bs agreed to abide by the golden rule when it comes to Rask: History dictates that you can easily ruin a young goaltender by putting him in a starting position too early on, so avoid that at all costs.

Case in point: Mason. Price.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

TheoryNeutral: "I read somewhere that tt isn't the most liked guy in the locker room. Wonder if it's true."

That was an interviewer quoting John Buccigross who was quoting an unnamed source. It's 3rd hand info at best and considering Bucci's sensationalist approach I'd not take it too seriously.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

What if there was a three way deal and it enabled us to open cap room for next year
    Thomas to Chicago
    Huet to Dallas
    Turco's expiring contract to us
    It wouldnt give us players back but might give us a chance to make a run at a top free agent this summer
    Not sure Dallas would want Huet
    Just a thought

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If there's a shred of truth to the idea that people are calling Cher asking about Thomas, why would you just dump him for cap space?  Cap space has never scored a goal, thrown a hit, blocked a shot, thrown a punch, or dished a slick breakout pass.  You get Thomas's $5M off the books and add it to the pot, you might make a run at Kovalchuk.  And you might (would) lose that bidding war just because he'll get plenty o' cash wherever he goes, so he'll go where he wants to go.  Then you have a big pile of cash to spend on the remaining free agents who are mostly second liners - aside from Lidstrom and Neidermeyer, but they aren't really up for grabs.

If you can get something of value for Thomas, maybe you make a move.  Until then, he's more than just an insurance policy on Tukka - he's at worst the co-#1 who gives Julien two options for riding a hot goaltender.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

I agree with your analysis,but clearing Thomas,Ference,Recchi,Begin,Morris it would enable us to re-sign Wheeler,Staurt,Boychuk,Sobotka, bring over Alexandrov and sign a back up goalie and we would still have breathing room under the cap ... I wonder how Carl Soderberg is playing.With all the picks we could draft a top notch goalie in the second round.
    We will also be drafting two solid players one who could step in the lineup right away.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Bruins6, I like the idea but I don't agree with your players. IF TT was moved, I hope it would be for an impact player.  I don't agree with letting Ference and Morris go.  They are good defensemen and both have good hands and move the puck nicely.

Sobotka should be let go at season's end.  IMHO, he brings less to the team than any of the 9 roster players you listed.  He is not even cracking the lineup lately.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

Your right about  Morris  when I did the d-pairings without Morris we were thin. Alexandrov could replace Ference.
    Sobotka would be the 4th line center in place of Begin
    With the high first rounder, Jordon Caron, and Brad Marchand we can replace older guys (I also forgot Satan and Thornton) and still have cap room next year.
    We cant lose Mark Stuart who with Johnny boy give us a solid pairing for the future

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

I vote Rinne, Ellis, or Hedberg- all available for under $2mil and have experience.  If you can lock up the G position for 2-3 more years at just over $6mil total, that frees up lot of loot for goal scorers!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Morris has played great for us, they should keep him

Im all for trading Thomas, even for just a pick to dump his salary

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Stinger - I hate to say it, but yeah, it's time for Sobotka to get a fresh lease on life somewhere else if he can.  Unless he comes back at the same money, in which case, he's not the worst bubble guy to have around because he will play that fourth line role with some energy.  I keep hoping he'll find the hands he has in the A, because he always puts up attractive numbers on the farm.  That's probably the biggest reason to let him go - he's not clicking here, and he's not the kind of high-threshold guy you keep around hoping he's gonna bust out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Bruins6 (and generally to those who just want to "dump is salary") - the Bruins will have nearly $12M to spend on salaries next year.  That's enough to re-sign Wheeler (3?) and Stuart (2?), then make strategic decisions on Morris (3.5?), Boychuck (1.5?), Paille (1?) and the top draft pick or even the top two picks if the Bruins miss the playoffs then win the lottery with their own pick.  More to the point, if you want the Bruins to get goalscoring, you need to make room by moving out guys who are paid to score but can't, not Thomas.  You're not going to pay Ryder to play third line.  You might pay Lucic to move up and down the lineup because he can make an impact as a third-liner, but Ryder can't.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

Not so fats boyz... seems that even with TT's big time contract, he is signed for numerous years so that in and of itself is appealing to any recipient of his services... In essence..no need to worry about losing him after a short run and after gicing up other players for him.  Seems that onus was echoed on Kovalchuk..because as we all know.. he is merely a short term rental till theend of this year and will bolt back to Russia for a kings ransom,... so... NJ may have a solution in hand now but in all probability ..will lose their ace...  I applaud their willingness to go for it now thou...     This comment was approved by Me... :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Beware Derek Morris.  He's good offensively, but dangerous defensively.  That's why he's been paired with Chara most of the season.  It's also a big reason Wideman, Chara's partner last season, has gone so far downhill this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Bruins6 , Alexandrov is a bust.  6 years in the KHL, making redonk money, refused to sign an NHL entry level deal last summer..  You have a better chance at Obama getting re-elected.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

Bookyboy, I really like Thomas it's just that were in salary cap hell right now more because of Wideman and Ryder who have no value.
    I think Stuart will commend more than 2 million per year , I see Stuart at 3-3.5 million and Paille at 1.5 (our new PJ Axlesson)
    I agree with Morris (not more than 2 years though) Boychuk and Wheeler
    I could see Jordan Caron with Bergeron and Sturm but we still will be looking for a top line winger with Savard.Taylor Hall would answer our prayers and dont forget a backup goalie who should commend a couple of million

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

I thought Alexandrov looked great at camp this year

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

So didn't Nikita Filatov.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

bim09 - if Alexandrov plays for the Bruins next year, are you voting Democrat in 2012?