Pat Burns snubbed by HOF Committee

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobby774. Show bobby774's posts

Pat Burns snubbed by HOF Committee

I for one are sickened by this, He defiantly belongs in the Hall, and will some day no doubt about that, but why not this year while he is still alive, as we all know Mr Burns has battle cancer for years, and though he hasn't come out and omitted it yet, the end is near and every one knows it including the HOF Election committee.

This is a sin that happens all the time not only with the hockey hall but in all sports. Instead of honoring these sports heroes while they are alive so they can be here to appreciate it. It's usually after the person has past that the honor is astound pound them, leaving me to wonder, why not give it to them while they are here to enjoy it and to have there day of honor.

Mr. Burns was the winner of three Jack Adams Awards as coach of the year with three different teams Montreal, Toronto and Boston, the one team he didn't win it with, the Devils he led them a Stanley Cup in 2003. Has 501 wins 353 losses 151 ties 14 ot losses .573 win % - Won 78 Loss 71 .523 win % in the playoffs. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Pat Burns snubbed by HOF Committee

He coached 12 season, finished in first three times.  Won one Cup. 

That's not really what I would call a Hall of Fame career.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Pat Burns was a great head coach and a class act !

It's a shame that the HHOF snubbed him.

NAS just sounds a bit bitter that his Cup win didn't come while he was with the Bruins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

I think he deserves to be in

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

In Response to Re: Pat Burns snubbed by HOF Committee:
    He coached 12 season, finished in first three times.  Won one Cup.  That's not really what I would call a Hall of Fame career.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Red Fisher of the Montreal Gazette seems to disagree with you. In March, he wrote:

"Burns: the only three-time winner of the Jack Adams Trophy since its inception in 1974. His first was with the Canadiens in 1989, followed by others with Toronto in 1993 and Boston in 1998.

"Winning the Stanley Cup in New Jersey was the high point of his splendid career. ... However, in my view being named the NHL's coach of the year with three different teams is worthy of strong consideration for yet another honour; namely, induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame as a builder.

"His achievement is unlikely to be matched any time soon."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobby774. Show bobby774's posts

Actually thats what he'll be going in as a builder not for coach. I should have listed that sorry

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Pat Burns snubbed by HOF Committee : Red Fisher of the Montreal Gazette seems to disagree with you. In March, he wrote: "Burns: the only three-time winner of the Jack Adams Trophy since its inception in 1974. His first was with the Canadiens in 1989, followed by others with Toronto in 1993 and Boston in 1998. "Winning the Stanley Cup in New Jersey was the high point of his splendid career. ... However, in my view being named the NHL's coach of the year with three different teams is worthy of strong consideration for yet another honour; namely, induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame as a builder. "His achievement is unlikely to be matched any time soon."
    Posted by felixwas

This Red Fisher guy nailed it there !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Looking at the awards is one way to go.  Some people use the awards as a barometer.  I find the awards to be a bit too subjective.  We all know how bad of a coach Claude Julien is.  He won the Jack Adams last season. 

How much stock can anyone put in the awards?  Mike Green has been nominated for the Norris...twice!

Don't get me wrong.  I'm a big Pat Burns fan.  I loved when he was the coach of the Bruins.  I just don't think that 12 seasons, three first place finishes and one Cup puts him along side the best coaches in the history of hockey. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

NAS :

Claude Julien couldn't have carried Pat Burns' clipboard.

Burns won the Jack Adams three times with three different teams.

He actually led the Toronto Maple Losers to the Conference Finals in the playoffs.

'Nuff said !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS : Claude Julien couldn't have carried Pat Burns' clipboard. Burns won the Jack Adams three times with three different teams. He actually led the Toronto Maple Losers to the Conference Finals in the playoffs. 'Nuff said !
    Posted by RMiller87

I agree, but that sort of adds validity to my point.  We all know how bad of a coach Julien is, yet he won the same award that Burns did.  Burns won it three times, but if the award is such a subjective throw away that Claude Julien can win it, why does it matter?

Put Burns up against the stats of Toe Blake, Al Arbour, and/or Scotty Bowman.  He doesn't come close to being in the same company.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Here's what an guy (Islanders fan) who posts on another message board that I frequent said after a 5.5 magnitude earthquake rocked Toronto today:

"God just found out that Pat Burns isn't going into the Hockey Hall of Fame this year and decided to smite Toronto."

Perfect.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Pat Burns snubbed by HOF Committee : I agree, but that sort of adds validity to my point.  We all know how bad of a coach Julien is, yet he won the same award that Burns did.  Burns won it three times, but if the award is such a subjective throw away that Claude Julien can win it, why does it matter? Put Burns up against the stats of Toe Blake, Al Arbour, and/or Scotty Bowman.  He doesn't come close to being in the same company.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

The era of hockey dynasties when Blake, Arbour and Bowman coached is long over.

In the new NHL, every now and again a Claude Julien, John Torterella or a Marc Crawford will sneak their way in as the Jack Adams winner, but no one other than Pat Burns has ever won it three times with three different teams...  

I think that's an impressive enough feat to get the guy into the HHOF because one has to judge his coaching accomplishments in the timeframe in which he achieved them... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Nobody likes a fat cop especially from Quebec.

Was a winning coach but I hated him in Boston more than Cj.

He will get in, with his NHL and junior history and his cancer battle.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Red Fischers opinion or NAS's ? That one's a toss up . Don't compare his stats to the greatest coaches of all time . If you compared any coach with Toe Blake, Scotty Bowman or Arbour's records nobody else would get in at all. Ridiculous ! Did Ciccarelli just get in because of all his Cup rings ? You agreed on that entry to the Hall of Fame. Sounds like a double standard to me. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

By the By, Pat Burns will get in, but he was never a class act, he carried himself as an arrogant pricke from day one, especially his time in Mon and TO, a shame to lose him to cancer but he was not my favourite.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Personally, I agree with NAS: with all due respect to Red Fisher, I don't think Pat Burns belongs in the Hall of Fame. And it's not easy for me to type this, as Burns is one of my favourite people I've come across in hockey and absolutely my favourite Habs coach in my hockey-watching lifetime.

I have held the ideal from the beginning that any Hall of Fame is reserved for the true greats, not just people who are very good. If you have to make a case for an individual, he's not a Hall of Famer. Pat Burns isn't even a borderline Hall guy to me...he's a flat out no. He's not an all-time great: he's a guy who was very good for a decade or so. IMO, there wasn't a single person up for induction this year (among NHL players and coaches) who deserved to get in: as a point-per-game guy in the most offensive era in NHL history, Dino Ciccarelli is not a true Hall of Famer, either.

Now, with all that said, the NHL does not have the same ideal: they have the lowest standard of induction of any of the major sports Halls of Fame. With that in mind, I do think Burns will get in someday into the Hall of Fame, and it would be nice if it happens before cancer gets the best of him. But if the NHL actually had reasonably high standards (instead of being an Old Boys Club, which is what it's been for almost 6 decades), we wouldn't even be having this debate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Personally, I agree with NAS: with all due respect to Red Fisher, I don't think Pat Burns belongs in the Hall of Fame. And it's not easy for me to type this, as Burns is one of my favourite people I've come across in hockey and absolutely my favourite Habs coach in my hockey-watching lifetime. I have held the ideal from the beginning that any Hall of Fame is reserved for the true greats, not just people who are very good. If you have to make a case for an individual, he's not a Hall of Famer. Pat Burns isn't even a borderline Hall guy to me...he's a flat out no. He's not an all-time great: he's a guy who was very good for a decade or so. IMO, there wasn't a single person up for induction this year (among NHL players and coaches) who deserved to get in: as a point-per-game guy in the most offensive era in NHL history, Dino Ciccarelli is not a true Hall of Famer, either. Now, with all that said, the NHL does not have the same ideal: they have the lowest standard of induction of any of the major sports Halls of Fame. With that in mind, I do think Burns will get in someday into the Hall of Fame, and it would be nice if it happens before cancer gets the best of him. But if the NHL actually had reasonably high standards (instead of being an Old Boys Club, which is what it's been for almost 6 decades), we wouldn't even be having this debate.
    Posted by Kennedy97

Setting aside (not disagreeing with) your opinion of the selectivity (or lack thereof) of the HOF Committee, I agree with you that Burns will be a Hall of Famer someday. Given that, I think it's a shame that he probably won't be inducted while he's still alive. 

Sections
Shortcuts