PC is such an idiot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: PC is such an idiot

In Response to Re: PC is such an idiot:
    In Response to Re: PC is such an idiot : Even if the Bruins buy TT out, which they could, the 5 million cap hit would still count against the Bruins cap. Therefore, there would be no purpose in buying a 35+ contract out, so essentially you can't really buy TT out. I think thats what TUS is trying to say
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie

See now, I'm not certain that is true.  The CBA at least does not spell that out, and that is a document that likes to make things clear.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: PC is such an idiot : You see the trouble is that there are a number of people who give Sather credit for being a good GM.Remember when he was still in Edmonton and crying about the rangers payroll.He claimed he could win the cup every year if he had an unlimited payroll like the Rangers.We've all seen how that's worked out for him(he still spends like the payroll is unlimited).I personally think PC is one of the leagues better GMs but don't say that around here.
    Posted by dezaruchi

It appears Chiarelli has a much higher standing among his peers and the rest of the hockey world than he does here, but that's unsurprising. Ken Holland could be the GM of the Bruins and some Bruins fans would blast him, because that's what they do.

And every GM makes mistakes, but Sather breaking the bank for Boogard so soon after the travesty that was the signing of Brashear is just mind-roasting, and typical. I just can't fathom the guy. Most people learn from their mistakes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from The_Usual_softy. Show The_Usual_softy's posts

In Response to Re: PC is such an idiot : See now, I'm not certain that is true.  The CBA at least does not spell that out, and that is a document that likes to make things clear.
    Posted by DrCC

In addition, 50.5(d)(i)(B)(5) states the following:
        All Player Salary and Bonuses earned in a League Year by a Player who is in the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was signed when the Player was age 35 or older (as of June 30 of the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective), but which Player is not on the Club's Active Roster, Injured Reserve, Injured Non Roster or Non Roster, and regardless of whether, or where, the Player is playing, except to the extent the Player is playing under his SPC in the minor leagues, in which case only the Player Salary and Bonuses in excess of $100,000 shall count towards the calculation of Averaged Club Salary;

So if a 35-year old player signs a 3-year contract and meets the criteria set above, his average salary would count against the team's cap for the 2nd and 3rd years of the contract regardless of where (or if) the player is playing.  If that player plays in the minors, then his Averaged Club Salary less $100,000 would count.

NOTE:  This does NOT mean that a player who is over the age of 35 in the current League Year counts against the Upper Limit.  If a player signed a 5-year contract at the age of 32 and is now 35, he can be sent to the minors and will not count against the Upper Limit.  The first requirement is that the player must be 35 or older in the League Year when the SPC first becomes effective.  The current popular example:  even though Darius Kasparaitis turned 35 during the 2007-08 season, he did not count against the Upper Limit after being assigned to Hartford (AHL) because he was only 29 when he signed his contract with the Rangers in 2001.  Even if he had signed a 2-year deal for 2007-08 and 2008-09, he still would not count for '08-09 while in Hartford because he was 34 on June 30, 2007.

;

http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Yes, that is the section I read.  It still makes no mention of buyouts.  Given the language used in the CBA, I would at least expect that the section on buyouts would mention it is not allowed on 35+ contracts, but it does not.  Notice the example you cite does not mention buyouts either.  Given the wording, it might be true that you can't buyout a 35+ contract, but it is only implied.  The CBA does not generally only imply things-  it explicitly states them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

What is the problem with Thomas? one or two good seasons again, "he`s able" and his contract is not so bad. Today, 5M per year is not so extravagant.

SV% 0.984
    GAA  0.50

Today, PC & TT have certainly not talking buyout.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Some of you may be happy to learn that Thomas will not have a NMC/NTC for the final year of his contract .  Yes, that's right, just in time for Rask's next contract Chiarelli will have the option to trade Thomas to any taker should he choose to. I also see nothing in the CBA prohibiting buying out a 35+ contract.
    Posted by DrCC

I should learn not to reply on things like this before looking it up - but I believe you buy out the full amount of 35+ contracts and not 2/3rds.  You still double the period and halve the cap hit per year, though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Yes - and neither of those specifically mention buyouts.  Nor does the section on buyouts (50.9(i) if I remember right) specifically mention 35+ contracts. And, of course, you can always trade a contract and the cap hit goes away.  It's not like his cap hit would be on the Bruins if he were traded to Detroit (as an example).
    Posted by DrCC

Detroit taking on the Thomas contract now that is funny.  Their GM is on the record as saying he does not believe in paying alot for goaltending and when they have it has been for proven playoff performers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: PC is such an idiot : See now, I'm not certain that is true.  The CBA at least does not spell that out, and that is a document that likes to make things clear.
    Posted by DrCC

I trust this has the same irony rating as duinne's "Sather is a genius" comment?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from The_Usual_softy. Show The_Usual_softy's posts

Yes, that is the section I read.  It still makes no mention of buyouts.  Given the language used in the CBA, I would at least expect that the section on buyouts would mention it is not allowed on 35+ contracts, but it does not.  Notice the example you cite does not mention buyouts either.  Given the wording, it might be true that you can't buyout a 35+ contract, but it is only implied.  The CBA does not generally only imply things-  it explicitly states them.
    Posted by DrCC

Quite frankly, it doesn't matter if the Bruins can buyout Thomas or not. The result is the same: 5 millions cap hit. They can ask Thomas to retire and wear a pink bunny costume that it will cost the same damn thing: 5 millions for the next 3 years ( this year included ).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

13.d.ii - If the club elects to terminate and SPC pursuant to this paragraph 13, it shall be obligated to pay to the Player...over twice the remaining term of the SPC.
       If the player is 26 years of age OR OLDER at the time the termination is effective, an amount equal to 2/3 of the total fixe amount of the Player's ...NHL Salary.

The section 50.5. calculates ordinary course buy-outs before mentioning the over 35 provisions.  The way it's worded would lead to double counting if you assumed the full salary stayed on the books.  So - if I read 13.d.ii and 50.5 together, I'd conclude that ordinary course buy-outs apply to 35+ contracts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: PC is such an idiot : Detroit taking on the Thomas contract now that is funny.  Their GM is on the record as saying he does not believe in paying alot for goaltending and when they have it has been for proven playoff performers. Posted by Orrthebest

"It's not like his cap hit would be on the Bruins if he were traded to Detroit (as an example)"

You can type in any team that has goaltending needs it doesn't have to be Detriot...(as an example)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: PC is such an idiot : Quite frankly, it doesn't matter if the Bruins can buyout Thomas or not. The result is the same: 5 millions cap hit. They can ask Thomas to retire and wear a pink bunny costume that it will cost the same damn thing: 5 millions for the next 3 years ( this year included ).Posted by TheUsualSofty

Spin it the way you want to come July 1st 2011 Thomas will only have 2 years and 8Mil left on his contract. Albatross is the only word you can come up time and time again with but compared to Luongo's contract Thomas's is real good.

If Roberto goes down in Vancouver the Canucks are finished. If Rask goes down the Bruins have Thomas who is carrying a 2-0-0 record, 0.50 goals-against average, .984 save percentage with a shutout already!

Please tell us who your team is Toronto or Montreal so I can tear up your GMs moves ? but you won't!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: PC is such an idiot : Quite frankly, it doesn't matter if the Bruins can buyout Thomas or not. The result is the same: 5 millions cap hit. They can ask Thomas to retire and wear a pink bunny costume that it will cost the same damn thing: 5 millions for the next 3 years ( this year included ).
    Posted by TheUsualSofty

Except that, should they buy him out for the final year, it would be $4M cap hit only for that year, and $1M the year after.  Deferred responsibility, basically.  No, not ideal, but it could be an option.  Nearly any time a player gets bought-out, it means a mistake was made somewhere; the buyout softens the pain of it slightly.
    Oh and yes, I was being a bit facetious with the statement about clarity in the CBA.  I think it does make things very clear, just often in a way that gives us peons trouble.  Does that actually count as clear?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

For me, Utah Grizzlies is my prefered team. Not Habs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Well, look what I found:
    http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calculator.php
    I think CapGeek gets things like this right, so it looks like you can't buyout a 35+ contract after all.  Unfortunate, since it means that Thomas will need to play well enough next year to be a worthwhile "chance" for a team with space that wants a bridge goaltender, should Rask completely take over by then.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Lol.  Well, I said I should know better than to post without doing the legwork.  Still, it would be nice to see this sourced in the CBA.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I also did that buyout wrong anyways, which I suspected.  It would have been $3M and $1M, I think.
    Also, NHLSCAP makes the assertion that 35+ won't can't have an ordinary course buyout either:
    http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#buyouts
    "and assumes the player was not 35 or older when signing his SPC (in which case a buyout does not reduce the cap hit)."
    Now it is possible one of those sites got it from the other, but two of them saying it makes it seem more likely.
    Still seems like an odd rule (not that there aren't any of those in the CBA) that isn't explicitly spelled out.

Sections
Shortcuts