PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more

His resigning of certain vets was inefficient and waste of money.

Thornton - A good fighter, locker room guy but does not produce. In todays league fighting can take a backseat. Plus we have Lucic, Chara that can fight also so we really did not need a bonafide enforcer

Ference - The guy gets injured while watching a hockey game on tv. No doubt he will be injured for the major part of the year. He plays hard but tends to cough up the up from time to time and gets manhandled periodically

Stuart - Has grit and plays a solid game but doesnt bring to the table much more. Was kept but could have been let go

So what this has done is hamper chances for guys like Caron, Spooner, Sauve to be in the lineup and contribute to the team. (especially spooner since he is on the verge to be booted back to juniors) . Also guys like Mcquaid, Kampfer, Bartowski should be playing in the nhl from what we have seen of them already.

Other teams every year leave 2 to 4 spots open for rookies to have a chance to make the team but the Bruins for a while have left 1 maybe 2 open every year

Talent and efforts must be comparable rookies vs vets but rookies always have salaries already paying to vets and lack of experience that factor in against them to make the team.

We have alot of rookies in our org and some can't make nhl team but there are quite a few that should and would perform better than some vets. Bruins should be putting out the best lineup possible out there

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more

Yeah, that is just a very poor assessment of everything.  The whole idea of having Thornton is so Chara and Lucic don't have to fight 4th line goons and then risk injury and sit in the penalty box.  Every team needs a guy who can fight without disturbing the top scoring lines or denfensive pairings.  Thornton has been very good about doing his job.

Stuart is a very good signing at $1.6.  Ferrence is overpaid a bit but is a good defensmen.  There are no rookies in the system that are better than these guys.  Period.

The Bruins have not had rookies recently that are ready to play in Boston full time (save for Lucic).  Maybe (hopefully) this year is different, but Chiarelli has not made any mistakes in this area.  What rookies should have played last year?? 

You're telling us 2-4 rookies should have made the Bruins lineup last year (every year!?).  Who??  Name names.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

The toronto maple leafs would beat the bruins rookies 15-0.

Rookies are all hype and potential, but there is a reason they aren't in the NHL yet

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

There have been pro rookies who have stepped into this lineup in the recent past, including Lucic and Wheeler. If you play well enough to stick, you'll stick. But the vast majority of these kids benefit from time in the minors, learning and developing out of the spotlight. A lot of people wanted Rask to play right off the bat, or at the very least spend only one year in the AHL, but even Rask has said it was best for him to play that second year in Providence.

As for this year, Caron has a definite shot. Sauve looks like he could use some more time in the AHL. Spooner has shown flashes, but you have to keep in mind who he's playing against in the preseason, and judge accordingly.

It takes defensemen longer to develop, with rare exceptions; just take Johnny Boychuk as an example. Tossing aside someone like Mark Stuart (who isn't exactly a greybeard himself) and inserting a Steve Kampfer right out of college wouldn't be good for him, let alone the Bruins. He's a good kid with potential, not a can't-miss NHL starter at this point in time.

"Other teams every year leave 2 to 4 spots open for rookies to have a chance to make the team"? Sure, teams like Toronto, or the Islanders. But how many openings are there in Detroit? Pittsburgh? Vancouver?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

In Response to Re: PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, that is just a very poor assessment of everything.  The whole idea of having Thornton is so Chara and Lucic don't have to fight 4th line goons and then risk injury and sit in the penalty box.  Every team needs a guy who can fight without disturbing the top scoring lines or denfensive pairings.  Thornton has been very good about doing his job. Stuart is a very good signing at $1.6.  Ferrence is overpaid a bit but is a good defensmen.  There are no rookies in the system that are better than these guys.  Period. The Bruins have not had rookies recently that are ready to play in Boston full time (save for Lucic).  Maybe (hopefully) this year is different, but Chiarelli has not made any mistakes in this area.  What rookies should have played last year??  You're telling us 2-4 rookies should have made the Bruins lineup last year (every year!?).  Who??  Name names.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

From your assessment every team has this thug. Which is utterly false. Most teams may have pests but the rock and sock em crap back in the 90's is not prevalent in todays nhl. Guys like Chris Neil and Lucic are valuable because they can fight but also produce some points. Thornton can't score much at all

If we lost Ference and Stuart right now it would not be the end of the world. We lost them actually near the end of the year plus in the playoffs and we did better  in my opinion with Mcquaid in the lineup vs Stuart. Bartowski for the past couple of games has been nothing short of solid. He can replace guys like Ference and Stuart for half their salaries plus bring more offensive production to the table.

I'm also not stating for example last season we had the rookies to make the team. But what PC has done is keep vets and congest the lineup with non rookie players for no free spots to be open. When you have to include a rookie in the lineup (exceptional talent) it becomes extremely difficult to cut guys like Thornton, Ryder etc since you are paying them money.

Right now Savard and Sturm are injured which is the biggest reason why we are under the cap and could give some rookies chances to make the team. Otherwise guess what , the lineup looks like

Horton Savard Lucic
    Recchi Bergeron Sturm
    Wheeler Krejci Ryder
    Paille Campbell Thoronton

Chara Seidenberg
    Boychuck Hunwick
    Stuart Ference

Is there even one spot available for a rookie to play out the year?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]you just described stuart at 1.6 as an waste of money...i stopped reading after that, you may be right, but stuart is  so good for that money that it just kind of killed the thread for me
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

We don't agree much, but I also stopped reading after the dumb Stuart comment. I wonder if Yaz realizes that Stuart is the strongest on the team next to the big man! He's a Don Sweeney without the skating ability. He will be one of the best defensive defensemen in the league. He's perfect for the B's system.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more : We don't agree much, but I also stopped reading after the dumb Stuart comment. I wonder if Yaz realizes that Stuart is the strongest on the team next to the big man! He's a Don Sweeney without the skating ability. He will be one of the best defensive defensemen in the league. He's perfect for the B's system.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    Stuart is one of the most under-rated d-men in the NHL.I've posted before that he's as good as Komisarek but he's got balls.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more:
    [QUOTE]His resigning of certain vets was inefficient and waste of money. Thornton - A good fighter, locker room guy but does not produce. In todays league fighting can take a backseat. Plus we have Lucic, Chara that can fight also so we really did not need a bonafide enforcer Ference - The guy gets injured while watching a hockey game on tv. No doubt he will be injured for the major part of the year. He plays hard but tends to cough up the up from time to time and gets manhandled periodically Stuart - Has grit and plays a solid game but doesnt bring to the table much more. Was kept but could have been let go So what this has done is hamper chances for guys like Caron, Spooner, Sauve to be in the lineup and contribute to the team. (especially spooner since he is on the verge to be booted back to juniors) . Also guys like Mcquaid, Kampfer, Bartowski should be playing in the nhl from what we have seen of them already. Other teams every year leave 2 to 4 spots open for rookies to have a chance to make the team but the Bruins for a while have left 1 maybe 2 open every year Talent and efforts must be comparable rookies vs vets but rookies always have salaries already paying to vets and lack of experience that factor in against them to make the team. We have alot of rookies in our org and some can't make nhl team but there are quite a few that should and would perform better than some vets. Bruins should be putting out the best lineup possible out there
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]
    Take Stuart off you list and add Recchi to it, and your post is valid. Thornton is useless. You don't need a goon to be successful. Ference is solid and Ive always liked him as a player, but he is too injury prone and recieved a terrible contract (nothing new with PC). Recchi is too old and slow

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more :You said that last year, and the year before, and guess what, you are still wrong. can't do better than that for a million bucks Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

Mark could get 20-22 goals this year and at his salary is quite the bargain!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more : From your assessment every team has this thug. Which is utterly false. Most teams may have pests but the rock and sock em crap back in the 90's is not prevalent in todays nhl. Guys like Chris Neil and Lucic are valuable because they can fight but also produce some points. Thornton can't score much at all If we lost Ference and Stuart right now it would not be the end of the world. We lost them actually near the end of the year plus in the playoffs and we did better  in my opinion with Mcquaid in the lineup vs Stuart. Bartowski for the past couple of games has been nothing short of solid. He can replace guys like Ference and Stuart for half their salaries plus bring more offensive production to the table. I'm also not stating for example last season we had the rookies to make the team. But what PC has done is keep vets and congest the lineup with non rookie players for no free spots to be open. When you have to include a rookie in the lineup (exceptional talent) it becomes extremely difficult to cut guys like Thornton, Ryder etc since you are paying them money. Right now Savard and Sturm are injured which is the biggest reason why we are under the cap and could give some rookies chances to make the team. Otherwise guess what , the lineup looks like Horton Savard Lucic Recchi Bergeron Sturm Wheeler Krejci Ryder Paille Campbell Thoronton Chara Seidenberg Boychuck Hunwick Stuart Ference Is there even one spot available for a rookie to play out the year?
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]

Wrong again Yaz -- every team most definitely does have a guy on the 3rd or 4th line who fights so that their top guys don't have to.  Name me the team that doesn't.

The concept of the Bruins having Chara (their #1 d-man) or Lucic (their #1 LW) do the fighting against the likes of Booggard, Shelley, Orr, etc. is just plain dumb.  That would be an awful strategy.

Further, I can't believe you already have Bartkowski penciled in as being better than Stuart.  How's that?  He's never played an NHL game (or an AHL game).  Do you watch Stuart?  He's a very solid defenseman and an important part of the team.

I agree with you that this year there should be a couple spots open for rookies.  You list the lineup as if there are no spots available though, when we all know that Savard and Sturm will not be playing at the beginning of the season.  There are your two spots right there.  I suspect Seguin and Caron will see time in those spots.  I have no idea why you are still saying there's no room for the rookies...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more : Wrong again Yaz -- every team most definitely does have a guy on the 3rd or 4th line who fights so that their top guys don't have to.  Name me the team that doesn't. The concept of the Bruins having Chara (their #1 d-man) or Lucic (their #1 LW) do the fighting against the likes of Booggard, Shelley, Orr, etc. is just plain dumb.  That would be an awful strategy. Further, I can't believe you already have Bartkowski penciled in as being better than Stuart.  How's that?  He's never played an NHL game.  Do you watch Stuart?  He's a very solid defenseman and an important part of the team. I agree with you that this year there should be a couple spots open for rookies.  You list the lineup as if there are no spots available though, when we all know that Savard and Sturm will not be playing at the beginning of the season.  There are your two spots right there.  I suspect Seguin and Caron will see time in those spots.  I have no idea why you are still saying there's no room for the rookies...
    Detroit, Chicago, Montreal, Phoenix, Washington, San Jose. Thats only a few. I could come up with more. Thornton is useless, he doesnt scare anybody. Having thornton on the team didnt stop cooke. He isnt even that great of a fighter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more : Detroit, Chicago, Montreal, Phoenix, Washington, San Jose. Thats only a few. I could come up with more. Thornton is useless, he doesnt scare anybody. Having thornton on the team didnt stop cooke. He isnt even that great of a fighter.
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE]

What on earth are you talking about?  We don't know the rosters yet this year, so I go with last year:

Detroit - Brad May
    Chicago - Ben Eager
    Montreal - Laraque, O'Byrne
    Phoenix - Paul Bissonette
    Washington - John Erskine
    San Jose - Brad Staubitz

These guys do exactly what Thornton does for the Bruins -- provide a 3rd or 4th line tough guy who fights other tough guys, so the stars of the team don't have to.  They don't always fight, but they are there when you need them.

If Chiarelli had his highest paid player and captain out fighting 4th line thugs every other night, he would have lost his job already.

C'mon, that's weak cheese.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more : What on earth are you talking about?  We don't know the rosters yet this year, so I go with last year: Detroit - Brad May Chicago - Ben Eager Montreal - Laraque, O'Byrne Phoenix - Paul Bissonette Washington - John Erskine San Jose - Brad Staubitz These guys do exactly what Thornton does for the Bruins -- provide a 3rd or 4th line tough guy who fights other tough guys, so the stars of the team don't have to.  They don't always fight, but they are there when you need them. If Chiarelli had his highest paid player and captain out fighting 4th line thugs every other night, he would have lost his job already. C'mon, that's weak cheese.

Laraque is ancient history.  Let go billions of years ago.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=9625646

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more : What on earth are you talking about?  We don't know the rosters yet this year, so I go with last year: Detroit - Brad May Chicago - Ben Eager Montreal - Laraque, O'Byrne Phoenix - Paul Bissonette Washington - John Erskine San Jose - Brad Staubitz These guys do exactly what Thornton does for the Bruins -- provide a 3rd or 4th line tough guy who fights other tough guys, so the stars of the team don't have to.  They don't always fight, but they are there when you need them. If Chiarelli had his highest paid player and captain out fighting 4th line thugs every other night, he would have lost his job already. C'mon, that's weak cheese.
    Thornton played in 74 games for the bruins last year.

Brad May- 40 NHL games, 17 AHL

Ben Eager- Can actually play NHL caliber hockey, only played 60 games, 14 less than thornton, and had 6 more goals and 7 more points than ST

Georges Laraque- Only played in 28 games until montreal realized that goons are useless.

O'byrne- Can be a solid 5th-6th defenseman. Played solid for montreal during the playoffs

Bissonette- Only played in 41 games, didnt play at all in their 7 playoff games

Erskine- Only played in 50 games. When he does play, he is actually an ok 3rd pairing dman

Staubitz- only 47 games, didnt even see playoff time

Some of the players you mentioned can actually play nhl caliber hockey. The other ones like may and laraque werent regulars in their lineups.

IMO, thornton did not need to be resigned. But he was. Thornton should not be a regular in the lineup. He should only play about 40 or so games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more : Wrong again Yaz -- every team most definitely does have a guy on the 3rd or 4th line who fights so that their top guys don't have to.  Name me the team that doesn't. The concept of the Bruins having Chara (their #1 d-man) or Lucic (their #1 LW) do the fighting against the likes of Booggard, Shelley, Orr, etc. is just plain dumb.  That would be an awful strategy. Further, I can't believe you already have Bartkowski penciled in as being better than Stuart.  How's that?  He's never played an NHL game (or an AHL game).  Do you watch Stuart?  He's a very solid defenseman and an important part of the team. I agree with you that this year there should be a couple spots open for rookies.  You list the lineup as if there are no spots available though, when we all know that Savard and Sturm will not be playing at the beginning of the season.  There are your two spots right there.  I suspect Seguin and Caron will see time in those spots.  I have no idea why you are still saying there's no room for the rookies...

your not getting the fact that it was only due to injuries that there are 2 spots open up. Nobody envisioned Savard to have post concussion syndrome (he will be back by the end of the year) and when Sturm comesback in a few months he will be inserted into the lineup and someone will have to take a backseat (such as Seguin, Caron, Spooner etc)

Do you cut Ryder? Do you sit Thornton? Thornton could of not been resigned. Even marchand would be a more effective player than Thornton

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Berg is that last true rook to start as an 18 year old in Bos. Kess was 19 but it was his draft year as he turned 19 Oct 2, and then Thornton and Samsonov.

Luc was 19 , Wheeler 22, Krej 22

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more : Laraque is a goon, he was suspended for an incredibly dirty hit, and the habs cut him because he was a goon....there is 0 evidence that Thornton is a goon.
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]
    Thats hilarious. Goons are players that do not bring anything to the game except for fights. Thornton cannot player NHL caliber hockey. Fighting the other teams goon is not NHL caliber hockey. Does thornton play in the nhl because of his hockey abilities? No. He is a goon

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PC needs to trust the rookies in the organization more : Thornton played in 74 games for the bruins last year. Brad May- 40 NHL games, 17 AHL Ben Eager- Can actually play NHL caliber hockey, only played 60 games, 14 less than thornton, and had 6 more goals and 7 more points than ST Georges Laraque- Only played in 28 games until montreal realized that goons are useless. O'byrne- Can be a solid 5th-6th defenseman. Played solid for montreal during the playoffs Bissonette- Only played in 41 games, didnt play at all in their 7 playoff games Erskine- Only played in 50 games. When he does play, he is actually an ok 3rd pairing dman Staubitz- only 47 games, didnt even see playoff time Some of the players you mentioned can actually play nhl caliber hockey. The other ones like may and laraque werent regulars in their lineups. IMO, thornton did not need to be resigned. But he was. Thornton should not be a regular in the lineup. He should only play about 40 or so games.
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE]

But the point is that all of these guys are 3-4 liners or 3rd line defensmen.  They all play the same role Thornton does more or less.  I totally agree with your dislike of goons and having to dress somebody with inferior talent just to fight.  I have argued on these boards against the crazy idea of dressing McGratton and Thornton, and I want to most talent possible in the lineup.

But, in the eastern confeerence in particular there are a lot of tough guy/goon types, and when they come calling somebody has to step up so they don't engage our top line guys like Horton, Lucic and Chara.  My perference would be for Lucic and Chara to fight 2-3 times a season when truly needed.  Otherwise, we need a guy like Thornton.

Aside from the obvious risk of injury, it is foolish to have your top line players fighting because it upsets line combinations, special teams, line changes, etc.

So when Eric Goodard or Colton Orr are running around the ice looking for a fight, the Bruins need a 4th line guy to answer the bell.  That is the value of Thornton -- to allow Chara and Lucic to worry about hockey, and to protect the rookies.  It is not a waste of money to have Thornton around.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

These guys like Thornton are 4th liners so who cares?? If you open your eyes you would know that Julien divides time between all his lines pretty evenly.  Anyone (Caron, Spooner for example)  can take Thornton's spot and provide an impact for the team

Pbergeron37 how about thinking a second before replying

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Yaz16.... Why did the Bruins play Whitfield after Strum went to down in last years playoffs ? Why didn't they bring up one your rookies ? Is it because they would be a defensive liability ? When the oppostion is at home and has last chance of line changes, and you send one of your rookies out on the fourth line, how much of a chance do you give the kid playing against the oppostions 1st line ? You don't any good for the kid's confidence or winning many games for the team. Just about all rookies need the developmental leagues to hone their two way play. Unless you can pot 40 to 50 goals a year your going to have to spend your timing learning your craft down under. That's just the way I see it. Go B's Go ! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Bringing in Whitfield was a huge mistake last year when Sturm got injured. Whitfield did absolutely nothing

You take risks and bring up someone with a little bit more skill even if they have no experience in the playoffs. We were hurting bad to score and not to prevent scoring

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

" If you open your eyes you would know that Julien divides time between all his lines pretty evenly."

What!? Good grief http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2010010038

Campbell got 8:50 TOI, Mcgratten 9:36 TOI, Caron 9:51 TOI that's not allot and as you'll see the 1st and 2nd lines got much more. The only reason the top lines didn't get more is because PC and Julien are giving a long look at centers with Savard out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

[QUOTE]" If you open your eyes you would know that Julien divides time between all his lines pretty evenly." What!? Good grief http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2010010038 Campbell got 8:50 TOI, Mcgratten 9:36 TOI, Caron 9:51 TOI that's not allot and as you'll see the 1st and 2nd lines got much more. The only reason the top lines didn't get more is because PC and Julien are giving a long look at centers with Savard out.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I don't get how people don't think just a little before replying. When you have to kill penalties or go on PP of course you have a few players that will get more time than others in the end. When the game is rolling without much pp nor pk (especially playoff  hockey) the lines are evenly played (in CJ system)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]These guys like Thornton are 4th liners so who cares?? If you open your eyes you would know that Julien divides time between all his lines pretty evenly.  Anyone (Caron, Spooner for example)  can take Thornton's spot and provide an impact for the team Pbergeron37 how about thinking a second before replying
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]

Spooner's not a fourth liner. The Bruins use the fourth line as a grinder line; Spooner would be horribly miscast in that role. For one thing, he's way too slight, and for another, his game is built on speed and finesse. You don't take a thoroughbred and turn him into a plow horse. 

As for the minutes, it's a common misconception that the four lines on the Bruins get equal time. But the stats tell a different story. Thornton averaged 9:02 TOI per game last season. Of the other left wings, Paille averaged 13:43, Lucic 14.21 (even playing hurt) and Sturm 16:46. Even if you subtract special teams time (Paille 1:56, Lucic :44, Sturm 2:22), they still play more minutes 5-on-5 than Thornton. More often than not, Thorton's riding the bike post-game (that's what the Bruins do when someone fails to break the 10-minute mark).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

you do realize its pointless to argue about signing a goon or not when coming at it from opposite schools of thought about if you need to have a goon or not. seriously. some teams believe in it and some don't.

shockingly, teams that don't believe they need one, dont sign one.

as for rookies and roster spots, if its not there its not there. the bruins are already cap tight with players that currently show more than a rookie that would replace them do, generally speaking. nothing is set in stone yet anyway. i wouldn't mind seeing Ryder on a short leash though, not to mention injurys

Sections
Shortcuts