Peter Chiarelli ---> Mobile Defenseman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Peter Chiarelli ---> Mobile Defenseman

I like Peter as a GM and I like his ability to stick to a winning plan without getting sidetracked too much. What I dont like is his passivity.

For almost a year now Pete has identified Bostons weakness as a lack of a strong, swift puck moving defenseman. The style of the 08-09 team was to force turnovers and get back down the ice quickly making this a pivotal position to cover.

Boston is among the deepest teams in the NHL with one of the greatest crops of youth talent on the way. The fact that he hasnt got this done yet and now going into another full season is still without it...is mind boggling. We have Sturm and Kobasew, both complete unnecessary pieces that are great to have as additions but are not near as important. We have two youngsters who could play on any other blue line in Boychuk and Hunwick, one of which we probably wont be able to keep down the line, and we have Ference who could also be prime trade bait.

Good thinking trying to pull that deal for Kaberle Chiarelli, but Kaberle isnt the only puck mover in the NHL. There are lots out there, some still under 5M a season--- get it done already!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Re: Peter Chiarelli ---> Mobile Defenseman

Chiarelli has little choice but to wait until Burke gets back to him, as Burke is trying to get the best offer possible for Kaberle.  Burke's talking to probably 15 other clubs to see what they might give him for Kaberle.  Is it Kessel?  Is it some other young player (or players) he covets? 

You're right, Kaberle isn't the only puck-moving defenseman in the NHL, but most of them haven't scored 50-60 points in a single season.  They're known entities who don't come cheap, nor are they paid cheaply.  Chiarelli's best bet is to trade from a position of strength (forwards such as Kessel, Sturm, Kobasew) to replace a position of weakness (puck-moving D who plays lots of minutes, and sets up a lot of goals). 

I truly believe that if the B's get Kaberle AND are blessed with good health (injuries play a major role in winning a Cup), they can win the Stanley Cup in 2010.  Kaberle is 31 and has scored 50-60 points in a season several times during his career.  Unlike Kessel, Kaberle is the kind of unique player who could be THE difference in the B's winning the Cup or not.  The B's are in it to win it, right?  Then get Kaberle.  And I think Chiarelli will do just that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SammySrx. Show SammySrx's posts

That is the perfect word to describe Chiarelli, Passive.

He is always a little too content to do nothing or next to nothing on Trade deadlines or the Draft. This team needs a major tweak to get them Cup ready and I dont think Chiarelli is the guy to go out and get it done.

I was hoping is new contract extension would give him some balls but it is the same old Peter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

@ Sammysrx Passive GMs don't make mistakes. PC has made a few as aggressive GMs do make. I would have to say that I thought PC would have made a few moves on Draft Day. Freeing up cap space, dealing Kessel for a puck moving Dman etc. They do not need a major tweak but do need more money!

PC proved to me it's about patience and seeing how the rest of the league panned out first and who spent what. It is now very apparent he will not over spend on Kessel and for the right price will make a move for a expeirenced Dman.

Speaking of Dmen the only bad grade to PC I give right now is the Hunwick situation. Waiting to see if another does or doesn't make an offer ? Why wait!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremontst. Show tremontst's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Chiarelli ---> Mobile Defenseman:
    [QUOTE]Passive GMs don't make mistakes.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

What kind of statement is that? Passive GM's dont make mistakes? HUH? Any kind of GM can make mistakes. Chiarelli seems to do alot of handsitting from what I have observed. Unless he is on a 10 year plan that just aint gonna get it done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davidorr. Show Davidorr's posts

Hunwik goes to arbitration this week, so this whole thing should be settled. I don't think he's going anywhere. PC is probably working on the length of his deal like he did with Wideman last year. 
    When I see some of the signings that took place this off-season, I'm glad Peter is sitting back. The Canadiens front loaded, like Tampa Bay last year, like Pittsburgh did post lock out and all it got them was a great first line, no defense and a lottery pick. The way to build is through the draft. Hopefully, that's PC's mantra and it will be his strength. Kessel for Kaberle does not equal Cup. It's a typical panic move that 90% of the GM's in the league make. He's a really decent defenseman, but he and his acquisition alone do not equal parade. If the Bruins can't sign Kessel, then they need someone with some upside, mobility and youth. Not someone two years from leaving town to play for the KHL. All that said, I too am frustrated. I guess I'm hoping that when he does pull the trigger, it'll be a decision based on what's best for the club long term and not a knee jerk reaction to an impatient fan base. (of which I am one)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peter Chiarelli --- /> Mobile Defenseman : What kind of statement is that? Passive GM's dont make mistakes? HUH? Any kind of GM can make mistakes. Chiarelli seems to do alot of handsitting from what I have observed. Unless he is on a 10 year plan that just aint gonna get it done.
    Posted by tremontst[/QUOTE]

Yah it's been 10 years since he got here TremontSt! HUH!? GMs that don't gamble don't make mistakes. PC has gambled and madesome mistakes. There are allot of GMs that don't gamble was my point PC is not one of them.

Sat on his hands!? Only with Hunwick as I see it so far this off season. He's gambling and might make a mistake.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

I believe Hunwick will get signed, hes still far too raw for any team to offer him a massive offer sheet.

I dont think Peter's a bad GM by any means, I just dont understand how you can point out a large flaw in your teams design and almost two years later bring up the same point. Its not like Chiarelli attempted to fill the mobile defenseman slot and made a bad decision...he hasnt done anything to remedy the situation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsManiac. Show BruinsManiac's posts

K I've been following this post-season debate amongst all you guys on here and I have to say a few things to many (but not all) of you....

First, CHILL THE FRICK OUT!! We just went from nowhere to contenders in 3 seasons and people still have to find things to criticize - STOP IT. You're worse than Habs fans. Look at some teams who lame out for decades (Leafs and Isles, Exhibits A and B). PC has done exactly what he should have - cleaned house, started over and began to rebuild the Big Bad Bruins. IT TAKES TIME people. He knows he's got a great talent pool because the B's have ALWAYS had a good draft and develoment system. Big difference from years past is now, players want to stay in Boston and come here in trades and free-agency. You don't go from basement to Cup overnight. It's the teams who build patiently who succeed - look at the Red Wings.

Also, would everyone please stop saying Marco Sturm is a spare part... He is not. Just because he was injured last year everyone says he's expendable. Who was it who scored the clutch game-winning goal against the Habs in Game 6 two years ago? Marco. He fits the bill perfectly for this team, really fast, gritty, likes to get in the corners, passionate, solid defensivley, unpredictable offensively, loves to play for Boston. He might lack the finish of a 40-50 goal scorer, but he's the kinda guy where the other team always has to know where he is on the ice and he causes their team defense all kind of fits.

He could easily break the 30-goal plateau this year - and for a decent $3.5M a year for the next two years, he fits the bill. Plus, he's clutch in big situations which is what we kinda missed this year, why? Because Marco wasn't there! He's the game-breaking type of guy we need and the guys love him.

Talk of trading Marco Sturm is CRAZY.

All we need is a Kessel for a defenseman trade and we're good. NO major tweaks are required, PC is doing a GREAT job, we just won 4 major awards, hockey is back in Boston -so just sit back and enjoy it. Stop complaining about everything or trying to fix things that aren't broken.

It's that whining loser attitude that probably contributes to our never-ending disappointments. Be like your own team - be winners, and they will win. Act like losers, and they will lose.

SMARTEN UP!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

You said it maniac, I've allways wondered why people hate Bruin fans. I'm starting to hate Bruins fans and I've been one for over 30 years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brandonboys1. Show brandonboys1's posts

Mobile D-man? I thought Wideman, Ference, Hunwick, and Chara were all considered mobile and players who could make the outlet pass? How many do we need? As soon as we get Kaberle, people will be clamoring for a more physical D-man and say we aren't tough enough in the back end!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

First of all....to bruinsmaniac....you just went on a huge rant hating on bruins fans and these debates...yet at the end of your rant you sum your point up with the exact and only point I brought up in the first place---to get the damn mobile defenseman signing/trade over with. ("All we need is a Kessel for a defenseman trade and we're good. NO major tweaks are required,")

To brandonboys1, you thought Chara was a mobile dman? Do you watch hockey? That lumbering beast is about the least mobile defenseman in the history of the game! Ference is 100% a defensive dman and is atrocious offensively. Wideman is the only mobile defenseman this team has....and while an enormous addition to the Bruins he isnt the kinda mobile defenseman that someone is going to look at and say, "ahh now this team is a cup fave."

*Some of the better mobile defenseman: think Scott Neidermayer, Kaberle, Andrei Markov, Drew Doughty, Shea Weber

Wideman doesnt make that one great outlet pass out of our end that is absolutely imperative to be a stanley cup winner (without crosby and malkin on your squad)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Maniac I think summed it up nicely. 3 seasons ago most people wouldn't watch the Bruins, 2 seasons ago we were supposed to finish last, last season we finished with the #1 seed. And why does PC need to rush and get a deal done for a guy now, he has plenty of time till the season starts. Hunwick isn't going anywhere, he's made that evident (this is all part of the process). He didn't make a big trade at the draft because Burke tried to pull a fast one and get PC to make a bad deal when they were all set. Chill out and enjoy the fact that you have a top caliber team that has what it takes to make a run next season.
    And I agree - I love Sturm on this team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Chill out? Nobodys freaking out over anything but the two of you.
    I think fans simply want and demand what their own GM has targeted as their weak point for going on two years now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gordo123. Show gordo123's posts

We have Sturm and Kobasew, both complete unnecessary pieces ....two years removed from being the two leading goal scorers on this team...people must hate bruins fans because of our short memories                                                                                                                                                           

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Neither Wideman nor Chara are great skaters, and Wideman is worse. Stuart is far more mobile than either. Ference is next to useless with the puck on his stick, which puts him about on par with Ward except for the ability to skate well.

[QUOTE]Mobile D-man? I thought Wideman, Ference, Hunwick, and Chara were all considered mobile and players who could make the outlet pass? How many do we need? As soon as we get Kaberle, people will be clamoring for a more physical D-man and say we aren't tough enough in the back end!
    Posted by brandonboys1[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsManiac. Show BruinsManiac's posts

Guys... seriously,

dhitch, making one trade is not a major tweak. PC has made great moves and sometimes the best trade you make is the one you don't make. He has very wisely and patiently put together a contender in 3 years - that's why he was voted NHL executive of the year by his own peers. He's doing a great job.

Gordo, Sturm and Kobasew are NOT unecessary pieces. They average 55 goals between the two of them a year and bring a lot of jam, excitement and defensive responsibility to the team. And for their cap hit, they are great pieces that many GMs would love to have. No such thing as an unecessary piece on a contender.

As for all the other criticisms of whoever, Chara (oh yeah, just won the Norris) Wideman (most improved D-man in hockey) or whoever, just remember that we had the best defense and the second-most goals in the whole league, obviously the formula is right. Why mess with it? Kessel is a one-dimensional player and most, if not all, of his production will be taken up by Sturm, plus think of the more goals, Krecji, Wheeler and Looch will score this year. If we can get a Kaberle for Kessel, that gives us the icing on the cake, great. Just shows how close we are.

There's an old Native Indian saying that goes, "When someone is pointing at the Moon, don't stare at his finger." Stop staring at PC's finger and look at where he's taking the club. So we lost a heartbreaker in the second round - it happens. Doesn't mean we need to start re-ordering things and messing with the chemistry. The B's did what ALL great teams do before they win the Cup - that is, fall flat on their face. Next year will be a great one for the B's and those of us who are able to just enjoy it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosports7386. Show bosports7386's posts

All this talk about kessel for kaberle just refreshes the boyes for wideman trade.

I like wideman and hes a big part of the B's its just hard to swallow parting with another potential 40 goal scorer.

On that note kessel is full of potential, but i dont see any teams lining up handing out offer sheets right now based on his potential. Hes not in as much demand as he thought. Plays only on one end of the ice, and hes very fragile.So i think he will sign a contract closer to krejci money than what he thinks. This 5 million plus contracts that ive been hearing are crazy for a player at this point in his career.

We also have a smooth skating defenceman in hunwick, as the cap is tight i think PC will just give him the 6 spot and sign a vet at the minimum for a 7th Dman

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

"All this talk about kessel for kaberle just refreshes the boyes for wideman trade."

"Kessel is a one-dimensional player and most, if not all, of his production will be taken up by Sturm, plus think of the more goals, Krecji, Wheeler and Looch will score this year. If we can get a Kaberle for Kessel, that gives us the icing on the cake, great. Just shows how close we are."

Agree with both statements. After Boston moved Boyes they had one of the worst scoring teams in the league, often nights relying on guys like Glen Metropolit to score. That being said Wideman was spectacular this past year and has better numbers than 80% of the D players invited to Team Canadas Camp. I worry an untimely injury to sturm and kobasew who are both injury prone could lead this team down the same road of scorelessness.

One thing can be agreed upon, Boston has atleast one too many forwards and one few top 6 defensemen. An ideal situation would have Hunwick starting the season as your back up. Older guy like Ward and injury prone Ference should be on the bench by about November/December...Boston REALLY needs a top blueliner just to stay at the top of the pack in 09-10.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsManiac. Show BruinsManiac's posts

Yes I agree with you dhitch. We just need that one for one swap. Kessel is a great young talent for scoring goals but he's a bit one-dimensional. Sturm and Kobasew offer more overall - and the Bruins can score by committee anyway.

I wouldn't say that Sturm is injury-prone. Chucky and Ference are for sure. Sturm is actually pretty durable. He broke his ankle a few years ago that's true. And last year he just caught his skate in a rut. That's just bad luck. Other than that, he's pretty good injury wise. I bet that he comes back and breaks the 30-goal barrier this year. Then people will be saying, "Phil who?"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chop017. Show chop017's posts

Can you guys imagine Kaberle feathering that sweet pass to Chara's 106 mph slap shot. I'm a Leafs fan and believe me the guy is great, and I'd love to see this trade happen as well! As much as Bruins fans want the great outlet pass from the offensive defenceman, Toronto fans need the one dimensional scorer, our whole team is made up of 15 goal grinders. It really is a win win for both clubs, and if Timmy Thomas repeats his stellar play from last year, Kaberle could be the last piece to the puzzle.

BTW I do not think a healthy Sturm is a spare part either, he is good and will hit the 30 plateau.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CountyCork1. Show CountyCork1's posts

[QUOTE]K I've been following this post-season debate amongst all you guys on here and I have to say a few things to many (but not all) of you.... First, CHILL THE FRICK OUT!! We just went from nowhere to contenders in 3 seasons and people still have to find things to criticize - STOP IT. You're worse than Habs fans. Look at some teams who lame out for decades (Leafs and Isles, Exhibits A and B). PC has done exactly what he should have - cleaned house, started over and began to rebuild the Big Bad Bruins. IT TAKES TIME people. He knows he's got a great talent pool because the B's have ALWAYS had a good draft and develoment system. Big difference from years past is now, players want to stay in Boston and come here in trades and free-agency. You don't go from basement to Cup overnight. It's the teams who build patiently who succeed - look at the Red Wings. Also, would everyone please stop saying Marco Sturm is a spare part... He is not. Just because he was injured last year everyone says he's expendable. Who was it who scored the clutch game-winning goal against the Habs in Game 6 two years ago? Marco. He fits the bill perfectly for this team, really fast, gritty, likes to get in the corners, passionate, solid defensivley, unpredictable offensively, loves to play for Boston. He might lack the finish of a 40-50 goal scorer, but he's the kinda guy where the other team always has to know where he is on the ice and he causes their team defense all kind of fits. He could easily break the 30-goal plateau this year - and for a decent $3.5M a year for the next two years, he fits the bill. Plus, he's clutch in big situations which is what we kinda missed this year, why? Because Marco wasn't there! He's the game-breaking type of guy we need and the guys love him. Talk of trading Marco Sturm is CRAZY. All we need is a Kessel for a defenseman trade and we're good. NO major tweaks are required, PC is doing a GREAT job, we just won 4 major awards, hockey is back in Boston -so just sit back and enjoy it. Stop complaining about everything or trying to fix things that aren't broken. It's that whining loser attitude that probably contributes to our never-ending disappointments. Be like your own team - be winners, and they will win. Act like losers, and they will lose. SMARTEN UP!!
    Posted by BruinsManiac[/QUOTE]

YES! Someone with common sense!  What a bunch of whining pusses.  

In addition to the points raised in BruinsManiac's rant, people like SammySrx need to stop playing fantasy league hockey.  GMs who make a lot of big trades often  go nowhere.  You have to have a philosophy, a system and the right players to execute that system - - - then tweak a little. 

PC has done a good job so far in implementing his philosophy!  Enough already!  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from matt1609. Show matt1609's posts

I am just curious who gets moved to afford Kaberle, especially since trading Kessel alone wouldn't help since he has currently a cap hit of 0. So what player are we moving to get this 5m a year defensmen...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

None, the Bruins have about 5 million in cap room, maybe a touch less, and Kaberles hit is 4.25, if only we hadn't bought out schaeffer it would be really easy, but my guess is if anyone is moved it would be ward. We wouldn't have too much need for him anyhow. You would have:

Chara Wideman
    Kaberle Stuart
    Ference Hunwick

Not bad

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from matt1609. Show matt1609's posts

So Hunwick is going to sign for 750k then and make less then Byron Bitz, as much as I would like to see Kaberle for the Bruins there is no way to do it and still improve the team. The money is not there, so unless someone goes with kessel and hunwick the deal is not happening. I am shocked to read so many people dislike Kessel, the guy is 21 scored 42 goals in 81 games (including the playoff games here). Where are those 42 goals going to come from, I have seen various answers from Sturm who has never scored more then 27 in a year, a combination of lucic and wheeler, so if thats the case then both lucic and wheeler will be 40 goal scorers next year and we can kiss one of them goodbye due to free agency because they will ask the same money kessel wants and deserves. So in ending my rant the bruins need to sign kessel and hunwick and let their development continue there is no easy fix to make this team a stanley cup finalist...also my bad didn't realize you said move ward which gives you more money to sign hunwick depending on what you get back in return for ward...