Peter Chiarelli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

Peter Chiarelli

We have to give it to him for this. I know a lot of people don't like his moves, but he just turned phil kessel into a potential franchise player. What if we get the next stevey Y out of this. Having said that, I was disappointed with this draft. When Fowler fell past 8, the bruins should have been doing whatever they could to move up. When Emerson fell past 20, they should have been packaging their first two rounders. Great job with Tyler, but PC should have tried to get another pick

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: Peter Chiarelli

I kinda thought the same thing, I thought  PC had every intention on getting in the top 10 and watching gormely and fowler still there after 10  they would make a deal especially with ana and pnx who had 2 1st rd picks, trading the 32 and 45th would of been nice but both those team were schocked they were available and nothing would of got them to trade that pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Don't forget we get Toronto's next year's pick as well, and I'm hoping we get one of Adam Larsson, Sean Couturier or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, preferably Couturier, he's gunna be a STUD.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

hey, great if the kid turns out to be the next Yzerman....  i'll settle for the next Spezza or Stamkos....  but i'm not giving Chiarelli any credit for lucking out on this pick or for hanging on to it....  no gm in their right mind would've dealt this pick either....  now if PC can predict where the Leafs will finish next season, then i'll have to rethink my opinion of him....  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Peter Chiarelli:
    We have to give it to him for this. I know a lot of people don't like his moves, but he just turned phil kessel into a potential franchise player. What if we get the next stevey Y out of this. Having said that, I was disappointed with this draft. When Fowler fell past 8, the bruins should have been doing whatever they could to move up. When Emerson fell past 20, they should have been packaging their first two rounders. Great job with Tyler, but PC should have tried to get another pick
    Posted by pbergeron37

Burke turned Kessel into a top draft pick for the Bruins.  Chiarelli didn't shop Kessel.  Burke came a-poaching.

I hope Seguin has a bigger impact than Kessel, but it hasn't happened yet.  So far, this wonderful trade has produced 0-0-0 totals for Boston and 30-25-55 totals for Toronto.

It's going to be interesting to see if Fowler and/or Etem become good NHL players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Peter Chiarelli:
    Posted by pbergeron37

I was thinking the same thing for Fowler, Gormley and Etem.  The thing is, no other Team/GM traded up to acquire these sliders either, which leads me to believe that these players were simply overrated by the pundits.  Hard to put that all on PC.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Burke didn't shop Kessel like he isn't shopping Thomas or Savard. The issue is the word, 'shop'. I wouldn't call what Chiarelli is doing 'shopping', I would call it 'bungling' or 'bumbling'. He is making another mess and potentially driving downward, Thomas'/Savard's value, his own leverage, AND any potential future working relationship should either or both stay on as Bruins. Sound familiar?

This from the kinda guy you like to gamble with:

"Tim, in no way, has ever asked to be traded," Chiarelli said. "Tim wants to be a Boston Bruin. What I did was I talked to Bill at some point after the season. I said, 'Bill, look. We're in a position here that there will be some teams coming forward and will ask about Tim.' I said, 'At some point, if deals become realistic, you and I have to work together. Tim and his family, we all have to work together, completely transparent. Let me give you an e-mail giving permission to talk to these teams if they call you.' That's all it was. There's no overt effort to trade Tim. There's no request by Tim. Tim wants to be a Boston Bruin."

And more from 'Harry Sinden He Ain't'....

"Sean Leahy reports via Puck Daddy Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli vehemently denied speculation goaltender Tim Thomas had asked to be traded, according to CSNNE's Joe Haggerty. Marc Savard meanwhile is willing to waive his "no-trade" clause for the Ottawa Senators, Chicago Blackhawks and Toronto Maple Leafs but the problem is none of those teams are interested in him."

Pete's makin' a mess...again

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Savvy doesn't have a full no trade clause in his contract....he must designate five teams he is willing to go to and PC has the option to trade with to any of those teams......(reported in the Boston Herald).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonfan4ever2010. Show Bostonfan4ever2010's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Chiarelli:
    In Response to Peter Chiarelli : Burke turned Kessel into a top draft pick for the Bruins.  Chiarelli didn't shop Kessel.  Burke came a-poaching. I hope Seguin has a bigger impact than Kessel, but it hasn't happened yet.  So far, this wonderful trade has produced 0-0-0 totals for Boston and 30-25-55 totals for Toronto. It's going to be interesting to see if Fowler and/or Etem become good NHL players.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

There is a reason Fowler didn't go any higher. PC wasn't the only GM to let the kid slide. I heard that he doesn't play tough. Good skater and shooter but not so good playing D, which is supposed to be a defenceman's bread & butter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Let's see now, Chia goofed on Lewis and Versteeg, but he has begun to roll by stirring up to almost beat Montreal two years ago; then suffered thru half hearted efforts by some well paid Bruins, and then going forward until injuries to Seidenberg Sturm and Kreji were more than the Boychucks/ Satans/and Begins could handle. So, here he is with Horton and Seguin and a few more moves coming. What are you complaining about???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonfan4ever2010. Show Bostonfan4ever2010's posts

NAS enjoy your posts and although you don't seem to be defending Burke your post is a little misleading.  Burke turned 3 high picks into Kessel only one of which is Seguin.  Kessel's stats are correct but don't forget the $5.6M if you are just considering this year I could buy the direct comparison.  However you are leaving out the second this year(mcFarland, Merril, Kabanov, etc.) and the potentially explosive pick next year.  Let's just say next year we get the equivalent of Tarasenko or Forbort for the sake of discussion.  Then it looks like this

Kessel +5.6 M for Seguin (1.2M) + McFarland (700K) + Forbort ( 1M)

How do you like it now?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Peter Chiarelli : Burke turned Kessel into a top draft pick for the Bruins.  Chiarelli didn't shop Kessel.  Burke came a-poaching. I hope Seguin has a bigger impact than Kessel, but it hasn't happened yet.  So far, this wonderful trade has produced 0-0-0 totals for Boston and 30-25-55 totals for Toronto. It's going to be interesting to see if Fowler and/or Etem become good NHL players.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Good Post NAS.

I see the trade for Kessel sorta like a boxing match.

Leafs win Round 1.  30 goals is 30 goals and the Bruins mis-managed their offensive expectations without Kessel in the fold.
    Leafs will likely win Round 2 (I expect Kessel's production to be much higher that Seguin next year, provided Seguin sticks with the Bruins (which he should) and Kessel remains healthy.

Then, I suspect it will turn such that the Bruins win Round 3 and the match altogether if projections of how good Seguin can become come true and Kessel doesn't become the 40+ shooter the Leafs think they are getting.  Time will tell.

Wasn't much fun as a Leaf fan watching the 1st round of the draft I have to admit.

By the way, I am actually SHOCKED that Fowler fell down that far and I agree with those on the post that if a deal could have been made by the Bruins to land this guy the'd have been happy.  Etem would have been another player I thought would be a good fit for the Bruins.

There's a lot of experts out there, so who am I say, but IMHO this is a STEAL pick for Anheim.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

NAS enjoy your posts and although you don't seem to be defending Burke your post is a little misleading.  Burke turned 3 high picks into Kessel only one of which is Seguin.  Kessel's stats are correct but don't forget the $5.6M if you are just considering this year I could buy the direct comparison.  However you are leaving out the second this year(mcFarland, Merril, Kabanov, etc.) and the potentially explosive pick next year.  Let's just say next year we get the equivalent of Tarasenko or Forbort for the sake of discussion.  Then it looks like this Kessel +5.6 M for Seguin (1.2M) + McFarland (700K) + Forbort ( 1M) How do you like it now?
    Posted by Bostonfan4ever2010

I don't think a salary comparison at this stage is how you evaluate this deal.
    Obviously the 1st year players will draw less as per the CBA.

You have a proven scorer, albeit over-paid likely, and you're comparing them to 'potentials'.  I completely agree with NAS on this.

Having said all that, it bodes well for the Bruins if these kids become the players they think they will.

I also understand the sentiment of the anti-Kessel fans on this forum.  However, give the kid his dues.  He's not chop-liver.

Back-to-back 30+ seasons (2nd one playing with AHL centers).
    He's overcome a serious shoulder injury that deprived him of a training camp (and it showed, especially later in the season) and cancer. 

He can be electric,and admittedly he can be a loafter too.  It is what it is, but while I think the Bruins made out well on this transaction (mostly due to Burke's bravado versus PC's cunning), Kessel is a marquise scorer and if paired with the right center can be a 40+ scorer in the NHL.

Again, Time will Tell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Definitely stayed to his conservative ways and very puzzled as to why Merrill wasn't taken at instead of another center. My only thoughts are that PC must have a belief that Centers are much easier, plus the versatility to switch than the other may around winger to center.

Was that part of his tutelage in Ottawa ? Take the center when available because they can be moved via trade or switched to wing easier... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Peter Chiarelli : I was thinking the same thing for Fowler, Gormley and Etem.  The thing is, no other Team/GM traded up to acquire these sliders either, which leads me to believe that these players were simply overrated by the pundits.  Hard to put that all on PC.
    Posted by Crowls2424

Agreed.  The supposed "experts" aren't always right.  You have to think that Fowler/Gormley fell out of the top ten for a reason; it wasn't just a coincidence that they were passed up by so many teams.  That being said, I would have like to see the Bruins grab a winger and/or a defenseman earlier on in the draft.  But honestly, we shouldn't even be having this discussion right now, because we haven't seen ANY of these guys play in the NHL.  We'll just have to wait to find out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINS. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINS's posts

the only thing I am wondering ...why did we pick a guy rated 85th at no.32 ?????

and no D yet  ???

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011- not sure anymore about 2012 and 2013

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot
    Chia stated many times that he spoke with different teams about Kessel. But there was very little SERIOUS interest (Nashville was close).
    At the end of the day Chia negotiated what should have been a 3rd rounder into a first (that's huge).
    Burke even said Chia was a very tough negotiator right to the end.
    When you land the best deal possible you've done your shopping.

Now the the real question is are you man enough to admit you don't always see things the way they are???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

the only thing I am wondering ...why did we pick a guy rated 85th at no.32 ????? and no D yet  ??? Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011- not sure anymore about 2012 and 2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBRUINS

not sure about 2011 either....  Stanley, you're hilarious....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Savvy doesn't have a full no trade clause in his contract....he must designate five teams he is willing to go to and PC has the option to trade with to any of those teams......(reported in the Boston Herald).
    Posted by TuukkainNet
    Thanks tuuka I didn't no that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

look at it this way. Kessel went to Toronto. Chia selected Seguin for #2; Before that he picked up Horton plus for # 15; then he spent all day picking up scorers who will be defined by their growth up thru the AHL. Anyone have comments about all the young defensemen like Button etc. slated for Providence. Any word on the ex-B.U. guy from St. Louis???

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    look at it this way. Kessel went to Toronto. Chia selected Seguin for #2; Before that he picked up Horton plus for # 15; then he spent all day picking up scorers who will be defined by their growth up thru the AHL. Anyone have comments about all the young defensemen like Button etc. slated for Providence. Any word on the ex-B.U. guy from St. Louis???
    Posted by Bogie6

I haven't seen much of him, but Yuri Alexandrov is suppose to be a very dynamic puck mover.  Also of note, Maxim Chudinov and Alexandrov are teammates on the Severstal in Russia and have played together in the World Juniors for Team Russia.  As a matter of fact, there's a little history there.  In 2007 at the WJC, Chudinov gave Claude Giroux a late shot that almost started a bench clearing brawl.  Clip

I eagerly look forward to the continuing saga in the near future. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to I haven't seen much of him, but Yuri Alexandrov is suppose to be a very dynamic puck mover.  Also of note, Maxim Chudinov and Alexandrov are teammates on the Severstal in Russia and have played together in the World Juniors for Team Russia.  As a matter of fact, there's a little history there.  In 2007 at the WJC, Chudinov gave Claude Giroux a late shot that almost started a bench clearing brawl.  Clip I eagerly look forward to the continuing saga in the near future. :)
    Posted by bim09

Nice video clip!  Thanks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS enjoy your posts and although you don't seem to be defending Burke your post is a little misleading.  Burke turned 3 high picks into Kessel only one of which is Seguin.  Kessel's stats are correct but don't forget the $5.6M if you are just considering this year I could buy the direct comparison.  However you are leaving out the second this year(mcFarland, Merril, Kabanov, etc.) and the potentially explosive pick next year.  Let's just say next year we get the equivalent of Tarasenko or Forbort for the sake of discussion.  Then it looks like this Kessel +5.6 M for Seguin (1.2M) + McFarland (700K) + Forbort ( 1M) How do you like it now?
    Posted by Bostonfan4ever2010

Far too speculative.  It's unknown where those picks will be in the order, and what will become of them in the future.  La la la la live for today...hey hey hey.

We'll see what happens next season.  I hope Seguin blows Kessel out of the water, but I don't know if it'll happen, or if they'll even be able to be compared.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

I still think he made a mistake in not taking Kabanov with one of their 2nd round picks. Even more now that I've seen the players he did pick. We have to give him the benefit of the doubt I guess. The scouts see these kids a lot more than we do. No use beating a dead horse.