Phaneuf to Leafs!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Phaneuf to Leafs!

I can't believe Anaheim would include a first rounder.  Show me that link.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't care about Hall Edmonton is going to get Hall. I'd rather have Seguin or Fowler anyway. The Leafs have almost traded all of there offense...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/758366--leafs-get-phaneuf-giguere-in-multi-team-blockbuster?bn=1

It doesn't say 1st round it says "a draft pick"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

Wow, Burke is a tool!  He gave up basically his entire offense other than Kessel for a shivvy overpaid defenseman (that for some reason several people on this board are obsessed with).  Worst GM ever.  I'm so glad PC isn't this big of a homer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7713. Show 7713's posts

Annaheim got the draft pick not TO. I don't think it's a first rounder

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

How is this a bad trade for Toronto?
    They get rid of 2 expiring contracts, a disgruntled player and a half decent defenseman for an all-star. Say what you want about Phaneuf but he hits like a freight train and he's already got 10 goals this year. Phaneuf on a powerplay with Kaberle has the potential to be deadly. Both teams needed a shake-up, you can't tell me Toronto is just going through a long slump this season. The fact that Toronto didn't give up Schenn or Kadri or any more picks and have the chance to strike gold if Toronto can get Phaneuf back to his potential. 
    As for Giguere there is also a good chance for them to get lucky. They give up Toskala, who's been dreadful since they traded for him. Giguere hasn't played well since his father's death a while ago, but should he regain his form he is an all-star goalie who's an elite goaltender in the playoffs. 
    I think these moves will help Toronto, I just hope they don't get an immediate return on these investments. The drop in scoring should continue to hurt them, which is good for us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

How does this trade improve the Leafs ???  Insanity.
    If any of you think this will improve the Leafs this season you're dreaming in colors.
    Ian White to me was one their best D's with 9 goals, played with so much heart and had one of the best shots on the team.  Just White and maybe Stajan would have been enough for Phaneuf.
    WHO GOT HOODWINKED NOW 640 ?  Sutter pulled a fast one on Burky.
    I'm just waiting to see whom they give up to Giguere, if there is any truth in all of this. 
    I'm more interested in this season as the Bruins have a very good chance to get a top 3 draft pick and this move doesn't change our chances right now. Next season is another story and Burke will be looking to sign a number 1 center .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7713. Show 7713's posts

Burke will have no money left to sign a first line centre

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Toronto's doing the classic rebuild moves.  They have their center-piece.  Now they're building from the back-end, out.  I suspect they'll be looking for a D-man in this years draft, as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah they'll get a great center in the 3rd round BAH HA HA GENIUS!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitownBruinfan. Show chitownBruinfan's posts

anahiem took back blake in the deal. this deal had more to do with salaries then players. none of the players are any good at this point.

not sure why toronto wanted pheneuf having already over paying komiserik. maybe they want to practice killing penalties the rest of the season.

either way the bruins scouts better be working overtime to get this draft right.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Giguere for Toskala and Jason Blake, Toronto makes another big move and actually clears salary for the rest of the season/ gets rid of a multi-year contract. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Now actually maybe there is a chance for the Oilers to catch the Leafs.  Not only the Leafs will keep allowing tons of goal but now on top of it they will have nobody to put the puck in the net.  Sweet...it is the end of Brian Burke!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

now he can leave his feet in t.o.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

I'll be surprised if Boston trades *for* anyone. Wouldn't be surprised to see Chiarelli unload salaries for more draft picks. That's because I think Jacobs built this season's budget based on at least 10 home playoff games, given his pre-season optimism—and 10 home playoff games isn't going to happen. Could be zero home playoff games, the way the team is going.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FairbanksAK. Show FairbanksAK's posts

Don't listen to BadHabitude he is a pom pom waving fool.

Toronto could have traded a 5th round pick for Ovechkin and he would still say it was an awful trade for Toronto

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

Burke has traded four 25 cents for a buck.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

FairbanksAK
    Agree with you 100%.  Absolutely DO NOT listen to me.

Quit doing hard drugs for 1 hour, take the medication prescribed to you for one day, have a cup of coffee, check the stats and and then explain how this deal will benefit the Leafs.

Phaneuf's numbers have been declining since 2007-2008.  He is as nasty as they come and is ver good on the power play.  A change of scenery might do him good, then again, his trend might continue.
    Aulie???? 2 goals and 4 assists in 43 AHL games???  Calling it a gamble is being generous.
    Fredrik Sjostrom - ONE goal and 5 assists in 46 games????

And they gave up 2 of their top 4 scorers plus 2 regular roster players?????
    Stajan 16g 25a 41pts
    Hagman 20g 13s 33 pts
    White 9g 17a 26 pts.
    Mayers 2g 6a 8 pts
    TOTAL - 108 points

Phaneuf - 22 points.
    Sjostrom - 6 pts
    TOTAL - 28 points

And this is a good deal for the Leafs??  HOW?!?!?!?!

Are you people out of your minds???

The other deal, JS Giguerre for Blake and Toskala,
    Giguerre Save% .90
    Toskala Save%  .874
    and Blake has 10g and 16a - 26 points
    On this deal, the Leafs did OK, maybe an even trade, or a slight advantage to the Ducks on this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Burke said he is "open for business", which means he is not done yet. He got himself a #1 d-man and an actual #1 goalie. Something that team has needed for awhile. Except for Hagman and White, Toronto gave up very little.
    Burke will be looking to add a couple of forewards now, and I expect him to go knocking on Edmonton's door. Maybe he will land O'Sullivan and just because Burke is an ego-maniac, he might grab Dustin Penner.
       Burke may even sacrafice the Kadri kid they drafted last year, in order to move up in the standings, and lessen the value of their #1 draft pick....stay tuned...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

It seems obvious to me that Toronto did this for two reasons

The team they had isn't good enough to even make the playoffs, so they decided to ship out anyone they felt wasn't going to help them achieve that goal.

They have a team identity that they are after, physical, mean, and nasty.

I give them credit for addressing both of those issues -

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Giigy is almost done..too old...Phaneuf is not the same...Burke is insane.
    He just made the Laffs a whole lot worse!!

LMAOTongue out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

They always say if you get the best player in the deal you "win " the trade.. Phaneuf is the best player in the deal, regardless if he is having a bad year ..plus he is only 24 and just coming into his prime....I don't see any downside to this deal for Toronto, yes they traded a couple of their best forwards on their team but on other teams they are no better than 3 rd liners... Plus Stajan, Mayers are  UFA's and might not stay in Calgary after this year,.. I now see Calgary as a player in the Kovy sweepstakes as they cleared big money with Dion out... If that was Sutter's plan.. because after next year if he does not get Kovy then the deal is Hagman, White for Phaneuf and Sjostrem..OUCH!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

jwensink -
    Man, I really don't get you.  You give Burke credit for blowing up his team this year for his principle of being the big bad leafs - in the future.

Yet, PC sticks to his principles to build for the future - and you don't respect that?

Here are things that Burke said in his press conference, watch them on TSN.
    1) You build a team from the goal out, there should be competition for jobs, particularly in goal (we have that now).
    2) Then you build from the blue line out. (looks like they are trying that)
    3) Cardinal rule of being a gm is to address the big picture and NOT to address a particular point in time (like a losing streak) (when asked if last night's loss to Vancouver had something to do with it).  NO impulse trades in response to fan or media.

PC has a disgruntled Kessel and on his principles, he dumps Kessel.  No respect for that?

These are the same things that PC is doing.  True, no big deals like Burke did, but would you be happy to blow this team up for next year?

And that's a question I have for everyone who wants Kovalchuk, which is it?  Long term or short term?

Never mind Kovalchuk, what do people want?
    To blow the team up this year for a little improvement in the playoffs - and still no cup?

Or think long term?  The way to a dynasty is the draft.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnonymousUno. Show AnonymousUno's posts

Just keep reporting BadHabitude. I have never seen a bigger antagonist fraud in my life.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Just keep reporting BadHabitude. I have never seen a bigger antagonist fraud in my life.

What???

An antagonist fraud ???

In the good old days trolls actually understood the vocabulary they used.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

They always say if you get the best player in the deal you "win " the trade..

So Lucic, Rask, Savard, Chara and both Toronto's firsts for Kovalchuk would be a win for the Bruins?