Pittsburg outdoors again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

Pittsburg outdoors again

Whats up with Sidney playing outdoors again???? I think Bettman should just come out of the closet and confess his love for the kid. What a way to run a sport, obvious favoritism at every turn. The NHL will never be more than an after thought while being run by those on top.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Pittsburg outdoors again

sparky,

buffalo hosted them...Pitt is an excellent sport city in general and the venue is top notch...Bettman is trying to sell the sport in the US...one way of doing that is to ensure the best product is on the ice...Sid vs Ovie.  Sure its been done to death...but people wanna see this...for me personally I think Montreal should get one and play Toronto.  Its about as pure as you get. 

The fact that Calgary is getting one as well means bettman is trying to over due this thing,...whats next 3-4-5 games...Calgary could be one of the most boring teams to watch...but it will sell out in a second there so its more money and ratings...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

Honestly, if fans were told that there would be a repeat entrant in the first 4 (?) years I think almost everyone would have correctly guessed who that repeat team would be. Bettman has gone so far as to call Pitt a "model franchise" despite the bankruptcy declarations, the holding the Pittsburgh people hostage with a threatened team move without a new building, and with the historical fact that they only ever put together a quality team after they've first tanked it to get the top talent. If that is what a model franchise looks like the NHL is in trouble. I'm sick of the a**-kissing, save your organizational praise for teams like the RedWings or *gulp* Montreal, and maybe someday the B's.

I don't care about Sid, nor do I care about Sid versus Ovie. I can't believe I'm the only NHL fan that feels that way either. The only plus is if Ovie and Malkin skate around injuring the other players with their cowardly cheap shots - of course only to be slapped on the wrist by Cambell, if they are punished at all.

Sorry for the rant. Just sick of the NBA-esque individual hero worship by the league marketing department. The NHL and its fans have never had that mindset. GO BACK TO BASKETBALL BETTMAN!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobby774. Show bobby774's posts

i agree with sparky there are other great players and teams in this league!! Give all teams a chance F Pitt and Sid the Kid

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

The outdoor classic is a sideshowy gimmick to mostly market the game to non-hockey fans !

Besides Washington and Pittsburgh being two of the most exciting offensive teams in the League, Ovie and Sid can do that...

Personally, I want to see Tampa Bay and Phoenix at Tropicana Field...

And for shuperman, it looks like the Hab Nots are playing ANOTHER one of these outdoor games against Calgary this year....

Who wouldn't pay a wooden nickel to see those two lousy teams play ?

Other than me, of course...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

I swear, all you people do is look for things to complain about. We got ours this year so who cares where it is next year. But Mommy little Bobby got more ice cream than I did. Whhaaaaa.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I am sooooo sick of these Hab trolls sneaking on Boston Globe threads sayin' ridiculous stuff like "save your organizational praise for teams like... Montreal..." because they were once a decent team 20 or 30 years ago...

Sid and Ovie are the present, the Habs are the past !

The Bs are the future !

Now -- Go pound sand, Hab trolls !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

LOL - RMiller87, I am definitely not a Habs troll. I am a Bruins fan since the late 70s that hates the Habs and even drove up this year to see the B's in Detroit (from Nashville). I will cheer for the Bruins but will reserve my praise for the organization when I feel they deserve it. My throwing Montreal in there was mainly contrast to the critisizms of the Penguin team. Not that they are always good, but they are competitive more often than not, will not throw their seasons to get the "next" one, and could not possibly threaten to move their team. The "present" as you and the NHL describe it were dispatched in this very playoffs by Montreal (not that you didn't know that).

Having said this, they were more of a top-of-my head throw-in to accompany my RedWings example; because I think they are the best run team in the NHL.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

BlazeTrailer :

The Pens are my second favorite NHL team after the Bruins...

The organization in Pittsburgh has actually won three Stanley Cups to Montreal's single fluke (cough tainted cough) win in the past twenty years... 

If Bettman wants to stage an outdoor game between Phoenix and Tampa Bay in Kingston, Jamaica because he thinks that it will sell the game, I say go for it...

My Bs had their turn at Fenway this past season...

Next thread ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

RMiller87 - well, I will not stand in defense of Montreal any longer because I cannot stomach it. And I will leave your Pens alone. I just don't like them - though they rank behind Montreal and Philly for my hate, which made the Easter Conference second round a lot of fun.

I agree sell the league how you successfully can. I just doubt Bettman's idea of what will be a successful sell. Again, the type of people that like the NHL tend to value solid teams, hard work, and selflessness than the individual star attention that is more in line with the NBA. "Sid versus Ovie" just smells too similar to Kobe versus Lebron while most NHL fans truly think of it as the Caps versus the Pens. If you really could get by with individual stars we would have seen Ovie versus Sid in the Eastern finals rather than the Montreal and Philly teams that were playing the best team hockey.

Just my $.02 - no offense intended.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Pittsburg outdoors again:
    The outdoor classic is a sideshowy gimmick to mostly market the game to non-hockey fans ! Besides Washington and Pittsburgh being two of the most exciting offensive teams in the League, Ovie and Sid can do that... Personally, I want to see Tampa Bay and Phoenix at Tropicana Field... And for shuperman, it looks like the Hab Nots are playing ANOTHER one of these outdoor games against Calgary this year.... Who wouldn't pay a wooden nickel to see those two lousy teams play ? Other than me, of course...
    Posted by RMiller87

Seriously, it is a gimmick - so they should go all the way.  They should have an outdoor game somewhere South.  Obviously you can't go too far down, but you could figure out a way to keep the ice frozen up to 70 degrees or so.  I mean... the old Boston Garden was like, what?  95  degrees in there?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

BlazeTrailer :

No offense taken...

Most hockey fans would actually agree that marketing the organizations is the ideal way to go...

But in order to market to non-hockey fans and grow the sport, there might be a need to market the "superstars" because Sid and Ovie are the only hockey names even recognized by this cohort...

Granted that it does smell of a NBA marketing tool...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

I agree that the League needs the Winter Classic...gimmic or not.  A successiful league means bringing in "pink hats"; because there are not enought "die hard" hockey fans to keep the league afloat. 

That said, I think that the original six teams should play each year and then branch out to other teams, that way the league can use the opportunity to showcase its heritage.  What are they going to say about Washington...here is a team with the largest bandwaggon base in the league?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Two Outdoor Classics may be overkill though...

Will anyone want to see the mediocre Flames versus the mediocre Habs ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Pittsburg outdoors again:
    I agree that the League needs the Winter Classic...gimmic or not.  A successiful league means bringing in "pink hats"; because there are not enought "die hard" hockey fans to keep the league afloat.  That said, I think that the original six teams should play each year and then branch out to other teams, that way the league can use the opportunity to showcase its heritage.  What are they going to say about Washington...here is a team with the largest bandwaggon base in the league?
    Posted by dbg1

Who the heck would want to see Toronto play...anyone?  Heritage doesn't sell tickets.  Winning teams sell tickets.  Heritage doesn't create new fans.  Excitement creates new fans.  The league needs more scoring.  Cut down the ridiculous pads on the goaltenders and let the shots fly!

Sections
Shortcuts