Player to watch: Patrice Bergeron

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

Player to watch: Patrice Bergeron

A lot of fans quickly forget how dominant of a player Patrice Bergeron really is, nevermind how young. It puzzles me how so called "fans" want to get rid of him (salary) and call him "damaged goods". The kid suffered from a grade three concusion, a very serious injury and one that i have also suffered myself. Which surprises me on how quickly he has recovered. I suffered mine about 3 years ago and although i get the symptoms less frequent as a result i cannot go on elevators, rollercoasters or even play contact sports. From time to time i suffer from severe migranes, dizzyness and tension headaches, all results from the concusion. Where does the kid get the "will" to play the game in his condition is beyond me. That being said everyone is different and Patrice has seemed to have recovered far quicker then i have.

Patrice Bergeron had a good post-injury season. Especially considering two things. First, he had Axelsson on his line for about 90% of the time which slowed down his offensive development which players will admitt is the last thing they get back coming back from a long lay-off. Two, he took a giant step back when he got knocked out in the Carolina game. It took him a good 15 games after that second hit to get his game back again.

Just as his overall game was getting back into form the Bruins aquired Mark Recchi and plugged him in right with Patrice, taking place of Axelsson on the wing. Bergeron immidiately excelled. He was without a doubt the Bruins best overall player for the last 20 games of the season. He laid out bone-crunching hits, scored a few nice goals, made great plays and even beat the heck out of someone. That sound like old Bergy to me.

So before anyone is ready to drive Patrice Bergeron to Logan International Airport
    please be reminded that Patrice was viewed as one of the best young players in the game right after Ovechekin, Crosby and Parise before his injury. He's a point per game player and a threat to put up 30+ goals and 85 points every season. He is a beast one-one and can fight through traffic and is extremely good at protecting the puck. Also, don't forget that he was Canada's MVP player and leading scorer and yes Crosby was on that team, speaks volume eh?...

Sorry guys, but to me Bergeron IS the future and a keeper. The Bruins should continue to build around him. As long as they can keep Bergeron/Lucic/Krejci the B's should be ok for years to come. So please fans stop making rediculous trade demands for Bergeron jsut to make room for a soft one-demensional player such as Phil Kessel. Sure i love Phil and i think he is a legit 40+goal player but i rather have Patrice any day of the week. By the way, Patrice Bergeron is only 23 years old.

But hey, don't take my word for it go check out bruins.nhl.com and go to the multimedia tab and look under Patrice Bergeron highlights 2005-present then tell me if you still will buy that one-way ticket out of town.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

Re: Player to watch: Patrice Bergeron

Patrice Bergeron is #1!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1629888. Show user_1629888's posts

I absolutely agree, Patrice is a building block for the B's

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl733. Show bostongirl733's posts

In Response to Player to watch: Patrice Bergeron:

Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt this way...its so nice to hear that some fans out there aren't raging pessimists and actually appreciate a good player when they see one

nice to see that recchi is comming back too

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

totally agree, 2 way gritty centers that can put up 30 goals are not easy to find

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoJo30. Show DoJo30's posts

Xenimus, this is the typical Boston Fan reaction, Im just glad they arent the gm. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

As long as he plays a full season there's no reason to think he couldn't reach 60-65 points even on the third line. Playing with Recchi and Kobasew helped him towards the end of the year, and he'll most likely have the same line next year. Both Recchi and Kobasew can score 20-25 goals, with Bergeron having the same potential. I think a 25-40-65 in about 80 games is possible for Bergeron, maybe more if he's given more time on the powerplay. He's gaining his confidence, as well as his skills, back and he's becoming a smarter player. He scored 39 points in 64 games, no reason to think he can't do better if he's given the chance.
    He may be given the chance too, if the Bruins don't think they can afford Savard they may have Bergeron step onto Kessel and Lucic's line.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

That is of course, if the Bruins keep Kessel.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpJay76. Show SpJay76's posts

Just because someone thinks Bergeron should be traded doesnt mean that they are not a Bruins fan. The fact of the matter is that if Bergeron had a more friendly cap number he would be gone today and you would be on your way to walmart to buy tissues. I don't care what anyone says, I think $4.5 Million or whatever he makes is way too much for a 3rd line center. It would be a blessing to this team in the long run to be able to dump his salary. We need to sign Savard, Lucic, Rask, Wheeler, and Stuart next season and that extra money would be mighty nice. For those of you who think Savard should be the one we let go, thats ridiculous he's our leading scorer for the last 3 seasons, If we went into next season with Krejci and Bergeron our top 2 centers then we are in trouble....Now Savard and Krejci 1 and 2, that sounds nice. If Bergeron is there as a 3rd line center then so be it. He's not a point per game player in this league and he will prolly never will be. I'm a huge Bruins fan so I hope he proves me wrong and tears it up this year but i don't think thats going to happen and I think we are gonna need that cash next year to sign our UFAs and RFAs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In Response to Re: Player to watch: Patrice Bergeron:
    [QUOTE]Just because someone thinks Bergeron should be traded doesnt mean that they are not a Bruins fan. The fact of the matter is that if Bergeron had a more friendly cap number he would be gone today and you would be on your way to walmart to buy tissues. I don't care what anyone says, I think $4.5 Million or whatever he makes is way too much for a 3rd line center. It would be a blessing to this team in the long run to be able to dump his salary. We need to sign Savard, Lucic, Rask, Wheeler, and Stuart next season and that extra money would be mighty nice. For those of you who think Savard should be the one we let go, thats ridiculous he's our leading scorer for the last 3 seasons, If we went into next season with Krejci and Bergeron our top 2 centers then we are in trouble....Now Savard and Krejci 1 and 2, that sounds nice. If Bergeron is there as a 3rd line center then so be it. He's not a point per game player in this league and he will prolly never will be. I'm a huge Bruins fan so I hope he proves me wrong and tears it up this year but i don't think thats going to happen and I think we are gonna need that cash next year to sign our UFAs and RFAs
    Posted by SpJay76[/QUOTE]

I agree. Savard is the only proven player amongst the Centers. I'm not convinced that Bergeron OR Krejci are going to step up next year. We have seen shades of greatness from both Bergeron and Krejci, but as pointed out here, they are still young, and with Bergeron, a possible large loss should he take another unfortunate hit to the head and be sidelined......permanently or otherwise.

We'll see what 2010 brings for the young guns on the Bruins. I'm hoping they grow and excel as this would bode very well for the B's.......and the fans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ErnestoGiove. Show ErnestoGiove's posts

I think it ends up being pretty simple. Bergeron is "expected" to produce 70+ points this season (82 games), nearing 30 goals - considering he will have Sturm on one side (comfort with his friend) and a choice on his right - Ryder, Recchi, etc. If he drops his production to near 1 pt every 2 games - then his price becomes very high. In Krejci and Savard, you pay for 1 pt per game average - and you're paying peanuts according to the league. Chia is patient, but to a limit. Salary for next year is 5MM - same as Savard. You can pencil Savard in for point per game + he's proven it. If xmas rolls around and Bergeron is under his targets, look for him to be shipped out. I would expect Savard to take a pay cut to remain in Boston - 5 years $20-22 million.

YES I know - concussion and he's young AND I love Bergeron. I think he's a complete package player, much mroe than one dimensional. But if scoring si coming from all over (Lucic, Recchi, Ryder, Krejci, Sturm) - Chia will mvoe someone, he needs cash. And the league would love a young Bergeron more than an aging (yet efficient and consitent) Savard.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pezell04x. Show Pezell04x's posts

When you are getting paid 5mil+ a season, you are expected to put up certain numbers. Bergeron was given a lucrative contract based on his play before he got hurt. Now that he is hurt, he hasn't been close to the player he once was...

So why does that make the fanbase bad? It's a proven fact that he's damaged. He was hurt 2 years ago withthe concussion, then was concussed again last year. Two of the same injuries means its a problem.

It would be the same if a player has constant hamstring issues.

Right now, we're paying $5mil for a 3rd line center. Savard and Bergy have the same salary and Savard is a much, much better center than Bergy is.

Do I like Bergy, yes.
    Do I like Bergy @ $5mil a season, no.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

I agree 100%. Bergy is going to have an amazing year!! And don't forget, Bergy is one of the best 2 way players in the league.  He plays some amazing shutdown Defence.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from horrifying. Show horrifying's posts

A55 HOLES

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

[QUOTE]When you are getting paid 5mil+ a season, you are expected to put up certain numbers. Bergeron was given a lucrative contract based on his play before he got hurt. Now that he is hurt, he hasn't been close to the player he once was... So why does that make the fanbase bad? It's a proven fact that he's damaged. He was hurt 2 years ago withthe concussion, then was concussed again last year. Two of the same injuries means its a problem. It would be the same if a player has constant hamstring issues. Right now, we're paying $5mil for a 3rd line center. Savard and Bergy have the same salary and Savard is a much, much better center than Bergy is. Do I like Bergy, yes. Do I like Bergy @ $5mil a season, no.
    Posted by Pezell04x[/QUOTE]

First off, he is not making $5+mill. $4.75mill to be exact. Secondly, last year was his first season back after missing all but 10 games the previous year. So you are willing to erase what he did prior to the injury and base his value on a post-injury year? You are crazy, literally. Obviously you don't know enough to judge why he was on the third line. You just don't throw someone out there for 20+min a game and hand him all deals of responsibility after an injury, not to mention a serious one. Yea, you are right he was not the same player early on but came on strong the last 1/4 of the season. There are very FEW pro-athletes that can come back from such injury and play at a high level, especially right away. As of matter in fact call Eric Lindros or Simon Gange, two players who had concussion problems. To take it further, Gange took about 2 years to fully recover. but look at him now. Gange has regained his game and is once again one of the best offensive players in the NHL.

It would not surprise me one bit if Bergeron breaks out this season. And if he goes out there and scores 80+ points then he is a BARGAIN @ $4.75mill. Look at what players got in free-agency and compare their stats to what Bergeron had his previous two seasons before injury. Judge him after this season when he is actually 100%. I just think that it's unfair for fans to criticize him right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Bergeron's future remains to be seen poster. This will be a career year for him, he will sink or swim. For his potential Boston knows they wouldnt get half it back in a deal due to the severity of his recent concussion history. He's a Bruin atleast for 2010. Boston has one too many forwards and one less top four defenseman.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

Wave your Bergeron flags all you want, but you are refusing to look at all the facts. Bergeron has NOT delivered the goods you say he's can. He has shown some signs, but not years of it and for too much $. The year before he got the first one he just plain sucked for a player making what he did. He is not the team leader you say, for if he were, he would have made a hugh difference in the playoffs, yet with him healthy the B's have not gone far. Great potential, but how long do you wait for it to show???? He's does not skate his but off all the time, and does not play not consistant, injuries or not, to get paid what he does for what he puts out for the team. There are more than enough team leaders in that room. Time for him to go. You need to give up value to get value. Let him go while the potential is still there and let another team get disapointed. Let him go before he can't ride in an elevator or rollercoaster. He may be fine with his injuries, but the fact is one good hit and he's gone...again, and we need someone to play well deep in the playoffs and he has not. The goals he scored this past year were lay-ups. He has not scored the kind of goals that he's getting paid to do and the B's are relying on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

The way Bergeron played last year,his defensive end was great with the offense just abit off. I thought he should of been nominated for the Selke & predict he will win it someday. He is alittle overpriced for todays economy & cap,but he is not 1 of the pieces you mess with to make the $$$$$$ fit. This team is young & talented & that would be my #1 asset i would keep intact specially Krejci & Bergeron. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

pezzel somethins bruin blog guy your forgetting one thing, third line centers are important. Had the Bruins played the Penguins last year in the post season they would have won because of a guy like patrice bergeron, when he was shutting down Crosby while Krejci handled Malkin and Savard tried to contain staal you would have been happy to have Bergeron even for 5 mill. A line is only as good defensively as their center is defensively, and defensively, Bergeron has always been one of the best

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pezell04x. Show Pezell04x's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Player to watch: Patrice Bergeron : First off, he is not making $5+mill. $4.75mill to be exact. Secondly, last year was his first season back after missing all but 10 games the previous year. So you are willing to erase what he did prior to the injury and base his value on a post-injury year? You are crazy, literally. Obviously you don't know enough to judge why he was on the third line. You just don't throw someone out there for 20+min a game and hand him all deals of responsibility after an injury, not to mention a serious one. Yea, you are right he was not the same player early on but came on strong the last 1/4 of the season. There are very FEW pro-athletes that can come back from such injury and play at a high level, especially right away. As of matter in fact call Eric Lindros or Simon Gange, two players who had concussion problems. To take it further, Gange took about 2 years to fully recover. but look at him now. Gange has regained his game and is once again one of the best offensive players in the NHL. It would not surprise me one bit if Bergeron breaks out this season. And if he goes out there and scores 80+ points then he is a BARGAIN @ $4.75mill. Look at what players got in free-agency and compare their stats to what Bergeron had his previous two seasons before injury. Judge him after this season when he is actually 100%. I just think that it's unfair for fans to criticize him right now.
    Posted by xenimus[/QUOTE]

First of all, I got my numbers from nhlnumbers.com which has his cap number @ $5mill this season and $5.75 mil next season.

I'm sorry that I don't see Bergeron as the prophet you're trying to make him out as, but I don't feel justified in saying that Patrice Bergeron is worth 4.75, 5, 5.75,  any of it based on what I saw last season. How can you justify that he is worth that much? Because of his past?

You can't judge a player based on his past, especially coming off of the type of concussion he had. If it does take Bergeron two full years to recover (and would you count last year a full year based on getting the same injury again?) he would be an unrestricted free agent. His contract is finished in 2 seasons.

Again, if he comes back and puts up 80+ points, I look like a jerk and we all win but if he doesn't, what's the excuse this time?

Lets not forget that Bergeron has NEVER put up 80 points in his career, his highest was 73 back in 2005-2006 season.

Again man, I hope I am wrong because that means Bergy went out there and played his rear end off.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wildyellow1. Show wildyellow1's posts

Short memories. Remember how great Krecji looked last year? How excited you were that the Bruins somehow found him? That was Bergeron a couple of years ago...only better. He obviously is getting better, why would you not be excited again?? Also, why do people compare 1st line players numbers to 3rd line? If you swap a winger from the 1st to the 3rd or visa versa what do you think will happen? If you put Thornton on the 1st line all year guess what...he'll have 20 goals. If you move Savard to the checking line... guess what? If Bergeron centers a solid scoring line he will have nice numbers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Pezzel your really killing your blog on this, Bergeron's cap hit is 4.75 million. NHL contracts cap hit is the AVERAGE salary of the contract. For example, Tim Thomas has a contract of 6, 6, 5,3, average of 5 million, therefore his cap hit is 5 million, same is true for Bergeron.
    As for his value, I'm not talking about what he did pre concussion, I'm talking about the end of last season. 39 points in 64 games isn't bad, especially for a 2 way guy who wins his faceoffs and is on the PK and PP. .61 PPG which over a full season is 50, not stellar, but, the good news is he played a lot of the year with PJ, an offensive deadbeat, and he really came on at the end of the year. There were many games where he was the best player on the ice towards the end of the year, and thats what I was used to seeing out of Patrice Bergeron when he put up 73 points, and then 70 in the next season. If he plays at the pace he did over the last 20 games of the season he should put up 70+ next year, and everyone will be happy that we didn't trade him for nothing as a salary dump. Good things are coming for Patrice, but people have to realize that that concussion cost him 2 seasons, not 1.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

who would you trade to free up cap space Bergy or Savard. I change my mind daily today I would trade Savard

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

we don't need to free up cap space as of right now. I think we have 13 forwards and 5 defensemen (not including Boychuk) with 4.5 million available....What is so wrong with that?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pezell04x. Show Pezell04x's posts

[QUOTE]Pezzel your really killing your blog on this, Bergeron's cap hit is 4.75 million. NHL contracts cap hit is the AVERAGE salary of the contract. For example, Tim Thomas has a contract of 6, 6, 5,3, average of 5 million, therefore his cap hit is 5 million, same is true for Bergeron. As for his value, I'm not talking about what he did pre concussion, I'm talking about the end of last season. 39 points in 64 games isn't bad, especially for a 2 way guy who wins his faceoffs and is on the PK and PP. .61 PPG which over a full season is 50, not stellar, but, the good news is he played a lot of the year with PJ, an offensive deadbeat, and he really came on at the end of the year. There were many games where he was the best player on the ice towards the end of the year, and thats what I was used to seeing out of Patrice Bergeron when he put up 73 points, and then 70 in the next season. If he plays at the pace he did over the last 20 games of the season he should put up 70+ next year, and everyone will be happy that we didn't trade him for nothing as a salary dump. Good things are coming for Patrice, but people have to realize that that concussion cost him 2 seasons, not 1.
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

I'm killing my blog on this topic? Interesting considering I never brought this topic up before. Also, my blog is in my signature, so it posts wherever I do ;)

I (don't think anyways) didn't say I didn't like Bergy. I hope I'm completely wrong and the guy is an absolute beast, but I have apprehensive, just like a lot of Bruins fans are.

It's really hard to condemn people because they have a different view, though I agree with you that his end of the season was much better than the beginning. Hell, he threw the gloves down!

Again, I hope I'm wrong, but it should be noted that many Bruins fan out there are cautious based on his play.

Sections
Shortcuts