PLEASE, Someone tell me WHY we shouldn't dump/trade/demote WIDEMAN?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

PLEASE, Someone tell me WHY we shouldn't dump/trade/demote WIDEMAN?

I have personally grown weary of watching this guy cough up the puck again and again...make poor decisions making blind passes to the opposing team. He's a modern day Gary Doak. He doesn't seem to play the body that well...gets muscled off the puck. He seems to only skate well without pressure. He doesn't have to be Orr, Park or Bourque but, OMG he's a real turd out there. Give someone else (Boychuck) a chance...I'd rather give a rookie a chance now! I think the B's value him more than he has ability and potential...his behavior is not new...this has been his style since he arrived. We all chalked it up to being young...he's not a kid anymore. Get him out of here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

Re: PLEASE, Someone tell me WHY we shouldn't dump/trade/demote WIDEMAN?

Gary Doak was a heck of a defensive defenseman, so why you call Wideman that is beyond me. Wideman is a young Larry Murphy, and Larry went on to post Hall numbers for longevity, and a lot of points. This is an interesting time in Wideman's career. He has bounced a bit since last year, so he has to pick up his play, and I think Julien will work with him to do that. If not, the B's will look elsewhere, but I do like the upside of Wideman, and I prefer him over Ference by a large margin.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

Doak, for the record, would dive, put his face down for the puck, he wasn't gifted, but he played his buttock off....talk about someone who should be ashamed of himself for that reference...tom obrien get a clue.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

the guy i want back is brad stuart

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

and aaron ward from a few years ago, when he could still skate some.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

If Doak was all that...then no one that I knew ever saw it! We all grew up in Beantown...not sure Wideman is a young Larry Murphy...OMG are you kidding?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

Larry Murphy was horrible in his 2nd and 3rd seasons with the LA Kings, so bad that he coughed the puck up and made bad passing an art form. But he eventually turned himself into a terrific 2-way player. Wideman has a lot of tools, but he's had a bad stretch. But last year in the 1st half of the season in particular, he played terrific hockey and that's why he is capable of turning it around. There are not as many rushing d-men as you think out there. Especially ones with a hard shot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

In Response to Re: PLEASE, Someone tell me WHY we shouldn't dump/trade/demote WIDEMAN?:Hi Mrs Doak!! It's me little Tommy from next door. I just wanted to tell you that I wasn't trying to be mean with the things I said about Gary...I was just telling the truth. I won't have to pick on him anymore...now we have Wideman!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

PLEASE, Someone tell me WHY we shouldn't dump/trade/demote FERENCE?

There, fixed it for you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shawnjararita. Show shawnjararita's posts

We cannot "trade" Wideman because in the past 3 games he has played like THE WORSE player in the entire NHL.  I watch him and it looks like he is suffering from a head injury, or some unknown mental issue.  At the least he should be benched for someone who can skate and pass.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

The question that should be asked of wideman is  The helmut you wear on the ice the same one you wear when the bus picks you up in the morning.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomfergus. Show tomfergus's posts

dennis wideman finished 11th in norris trophy voting last year! maybe going through a rough stretch but the league voted him 11th best?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

DW has looked awful during stretches as of late.  However, he will be kept on the roster.  He has too much talent to trade at a low point.  I'm not making excuses for him because I agree about his poor play.  You have to tough these stretches out and hope for the best. 

I believe he will rebound but it better happen soon!

Boychuck should get a better look but maybe at the expense of Ference.  Let Wideman play out of this...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: PLEASE, Someone tell me WHY we shouldn't dump/trade/demote WIDEMAN?:
    [QUOTE]Larry Murphy was horrible in his 2nd and 3rd seasons with the LA Kings, so bad that he coughed the puck up and made bad passing an art form. But he eventually turned himself into a terrific 2-way player. Wideman has a lot of tools, but he's had a bad stretch. But last year in the 1st half of the season in particular, he played terrific hockey and that's why he is capable of turning it around. There are not as many rushing d-men as you think out there. Especially ones with a hard shot.
    Posted by dcater[/QUOTE]

This. You don't trade a good young player because he's going through a bad stretch. GMs who make panic moves don't last long as GMs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

After Boyes turned into a prolific scorer in St Louis I believe a red faced management was determined to make something out of Wideman....he certainly got the playing time and PP opportunities and thats were most of his points came from...defensively he has always been lacking...to me he appears to play timid in his own end and hesitant to mix it up...try as they might Im afraid Wideman will never star in this league...a 3rd or 4th string D man at best...on the other hand Ference is not even that and should be moved..I agree with most that Boychuck should be playing and ahead of both these guys. I also agree with someone who remarked that Ference was too wrapped up in off ice matters...He is a good humanitarian and accolades to him for that but the Bruins are more in need of a quality defenseman.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Here's what you know: Wideman has been successful as a first-pairing PP player.  He's been successful moving the puck 5-on-5 according to last year's +/-, and he's improved his overall awareness and decision-making over the last few years.  He needs to keep his head up, but he can take a hit.  He needs to continue to work on his awareness.  Defensemen need to play with confidence and instincts.

Here's what you don't know: Johnny Boychuk can play at an NHL level for an entire season.  Johnny Boychuk's confidence can take the hit of getting lit up by Ovechkin or Malkin or Nash.  Someone in Providence can play at an NHL level for an entire season.  Someone in Providence wouldn't have their confidence and instincts crushed by being pushed into an NHL role before they're ready. Dennis Wideman will never find the game that made him successful last year. 

Everyone loves the unknown.  New players still wrapped in bubble wrap - no visible flaws.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

The Bruins didn't have to "make something out of Wideman" - last year he had 13 goals and 37 assists and was a plus-32. The previous season 13 goals, 23 assists, plus-11. He is a good, puck-moving defenseman who garnered more than a few Norris Trophy votes last year.

That said, he's playing badly right now. It happens. I for one am not looking for him to be a star, just be himself and play solid defense. And I'm sure he will.  

As for Ference, he is a guy who plays very, very well when he is healthy. Which is the caveat, as he's undersized and gets hurt a lot. He's coming off groin surgery (and if you want to get grossed out, read about it) and started slowly, but has looked much better lately. If he can stay healthy - playing fewer minutes would help - he can be a great asset to this team.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

I respect your view and really hope you are right Duinne but I cant be that optimistic ...what I see is a player thats totally lost it...could it be the players around him made him look better the last two years  and now that the reins have been handed to him to lead and other teams are focusing on him more  he is crumbling under that pressure...time will sort this out and I hope soon whatever the outcome.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Wideman has been playing terrible in his own end since the 2nd half of last season. Who would want a 4 million dollar a year Dman who panics when the physical pressure is on him. I'm not sure there will be much of a market for him.
    It seems that we are going to have to keep him around for better or worse... let's hope he somehow gets it together. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I like Denis Wideman.. and I approve this hockey player..:)

Give this guy a break.. the guy had awesome stats last year .. what was he + 40 or something , didn't hear too many complaining about being a defensive liability .. Probably most improved player in the league... So he has started a bit slow.. who hasn't ?  .. Look around the League...This guy too I think is playing hurt.. he came back too early from his shoulder injury and is still not 100% ... cut him some slack..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I've notice that he has made a few d to d passes on the blue line that either get picked off, or just about do. He seems uninterested. Hopefully he'll pick it up, cause when he's on, he's really good.

Face it, he's a point producer, and the B's need more goal scoring, so they'll keep him. I'm guessing that they'll need to trade for a goal scoring winger before too long. Maybe another stay at home dman for depth.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Perry- i agree that when he's on DW can be excellent.  He needs to pick up his game though.

One thing the B's aleady have is depth at D.  With Boychuck waiting in the wings, they do have depth at D.  Although Boychuck is unproven, he has looked strong.

I think we should be a little patient and see how this new lineup holds up.  Getting a look at some of the younger talent at this point in the season is not a bad thing.  Just wish Boychuck would see an occassional game here and there...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from damngood. Show damngood's posts

Chiarelli has vastly overpaid Wideman just like half of the team. He is making almost $4 Million a year, no GM in thier right mind would pick up that contract

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ignaceontario. Show ignaceontario's posts

wideman for kaberle swap plus the b's add sobotka