Please talk me off the edge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgauthier1975. Show mgauthier1975's posts

Please talk me off the edge

I know it's early, but what's wrong with the Bruins? I didn't LOVE the Kessel trade, but I didn't hate it either. I did like him, but something tells me he had maxed out. Either way, I don't think that's the reason they're playing so poorly. Were PJ and Yelle that important to the penalty kill? I know they were solid, reliable guys, but come on. I think the new guys (especially Begin) have been some of the only bright spots.
    I guess I have two theories: One - the uber-short preseason has not allowed them to get their legs and precision. They always look a step off. With time and more play, it will come and they'll be fine. Guys like Krejci are still recovering from surgery, etc. Once they get some rhythm to the season, they will be a #3 or #4 seed. Plus - is it me, or has the schedule been really weird so far? They play, then get 3 or 4 days off, then play back to back, etc. Look at this week - 3 days off after Colorado, then back to back on the road in Dallas and Phoenix, 3 days off, then back to back at home in Nashville, then at Philly. That's just strange. What happened to the old Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday schedule?
    The second one scares me - did we overrate these guys? Is Thomas just another guy after being spectacular last year? Did Chara peak last year (he's off to a slow start)? Did guys like Bitz and Hunwick play beyond themselves last year? Please tell me I'm wrong on this.
    The Kobasew trade sorta bothers me. He's been pretty awful this year, but he's had two nice years for us. He always plays hard. He was probably overpaid, so if this allows us to resign Savard and make a great pickup at the deadline, then great. But otherwise, I'm torn.
    Talk me off the edge.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 77Fan. Show 77Fan's posts

Re: Please talk me off the edge

Tough one my friend. I have to agree the schedule has sucked this year.
    I believe that its the system that Julien plays, that turns average players into something more. Defence first, capitalize on mistakes. So far the defence just hasn't been as good as last year.
    It could be a case of jinx. Guy wins the Norris, flop the following year. Guy wins the Vezina, flop the next year (Theadore, Carey) or Guy signs huge contract and can't live up to it.
    Honestly, I think its the incosistancy in the schedule that is causing the problems. Guys barley get the rust off their blades and they get 4 days off.
    Things will turn around, Julien can be a hardcase when he wants. Once the guys get back to the system, good things will happen

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Please talk me off the edge:
    [QUOTE]I know it's early, but what's wrong with the Bruins? I didn't LOVE the Kessel trade, but I didn't hate it either. I did like him, but something tells me he had maxed out. Either way, I don't think that's the reason they're playing so poorly. Were PJ and Yelle that important to the penalty kill? I know they were solid, reliable guys, but come on. I think the new guys (especially Begin) have been some of the only bright spots. I guess I have two theories: One - the uber-short preseason has not allowed them to get their legs and precision. They always look a step off. With time and more play, it will come and they'll be fine. Guys like Krejci are still recovering from surgery, etc. Once they get some rhythm to the season, they will be a #3 or #4 seed. Plus - is it me, or has the schedule been really weird so far? They play, then get 3 or 4 days off, then play back to back, etc. Look at this week - 3 days off after Colorado, then back to back on the road in Dallas and Phoenix, 3 days off, then back to back at home in Nashville, then at Philly. That's just strange. What happened to the old Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday schedule? The second one scares me - did we overrate these guys? Is Thomas just another guy after being spectacular last year? Did Chara peak last year (he's off to a slow start)? Did guys like Bitz and Hunwick play beyond themselves last year? Please tell me I'm wrong on this. The Kobasew trade sorta bothers me. He's been pretty awful this year, but he's had two nice years for us. He always plays hard. He was probably overpaid, so if this allows us to resign Savard and make a great pickup at the deadline, then great. But otherwise, I'm torn. Talk me off the edge.
    Posted by mgauthier1975[/QUOTE]

It's way too early to be on the "edge" Sure, most of us are "concerned", but at least the front office is trying to address it. Remember, the B's got off to a bad start last year. Hey, the PENS were horrible...While I usually recommend several
    YUENGLING Lagers in cases like yours, my suggestion is to imbibe two bottles of YUENGLING'S Lord Chesterfield Ale daily for seven days/no more, and watch for improvements coming with the BRUINS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThirdJersey. Show ThirdJersey's posts

watchtower.... Yuengling? Do I see another PA Bruins fan?

anyway... 
    The B's have made an adjustment for the betterment of the team! We'll see what the're made of in November when they have more games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgauthier1975. Show mgauthier1975's posts

Savard...now can I move closer to the ledge?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Hey, it's only a sport....have you tried Transcendental Meditation? 

Ya gotta have some trust that management is doing their job worrying about these things.  Struggles are part of sports and being a fan means suffering through the struggles as well as enjoying the good streaks.  The way a team copes and the strategic moves made by management are all part of it.  PC is up to something.  Enjoy the mystery.....life is a mystery, in case you haven't figured it out yet. 

I understand that your post is "tongue in cheek" and you're not really about to jump.  But, really, please don't get too wound up about it.  Enjoy the ride....there are much more important problems in the world to get upset about... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeffMaine. Show JeffMaine's posts

To me its a bunch of things....mainly the players are simply not playing well.  I dont buy that the Kessel deal is hurting the team.  They get quality chances every night, but just cant finish.

Biggest issue, to me, is that they cant defend right now, and Thomas/Rask have not been good enough to cover up for the defensive lapses that are made on a nightly basis.

Issues are fixable, and there is plenty of time left.

Of bigger concern is the health of Savard and Lucic.  Its not as if Lucic has played a single good game yet anyway, but still.

Later

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If you need someone to talk you off the edge your emotions are too unstable.

Try watching daytime soap operas. Lots of tear jerking emotional moments for you.

Pro sports is not for you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgauthier1975. Show mgauthier1975's posts

You guys are right. I'll put away the razor, the pills and the booze and the noose while simultaneously lowering myself from the railing of the Tobin. Is there any way to recall the goodbye letter I sent my wife?

It's an expression; I was just looking for some input as to why some knowledgeable hockey fans might think they were struggling so far. Sheesh, that'll teach me to try to be witty.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Please talk me off the edge:
    [QUOTE]You guys are right. I'll put away the razor, the pills and the booze and the noose while simultaneously lowering myself from the railing of the Tobin. Is there any way to recall the goodbye letter I sent my wife? It's an expression; I was just looking for some input as to why some knowledgeable hockey fans might think they were struggling so far. Sheesh, that'll teach me to try to be witty.
    Posted by mgauthier1975[/QUOTE]

yes , that'll teach you.

I knew you were joking of course, I was just playing along.

No one really ever gets suicidal in October over a hockey team ( I hope!).

Put away the razor, the pills...but hang on to the booze. Just in case.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from theobama. Show theobama's posts

Bruins go into the 2007-2008 season projected to finish around 12, 13 or 14th place. They go above and beyond what everyones expects them to do and finish 8th and make the playoffs. They battle with the heavy favored number 1 seed Canadiens to a 7th game. They go into 2008-2009 season expected to finish around 7,8th place and a first round loss if we are lucky. They go above and beyond everyones expectations and finish 1st in the conference topping 100 points. They have the Vezina, Jack Adams and Norris winners. They lose a hard fought game 7 against the Hurricanes. They go into 2009-2010 with all the pressure in the world on them. NHL and ESPN analysists pick them to finish above Pittsburgh, Washington, New York and Philly nd top 100 points again. Expectations are through the roof. If they do not make it to the finals and at least force a game 7 the season is a failure. Last season, to me and most people I know, was a success. If they have the same season this year it will be a failure. Makes sense to some, but not to me. Why not set your expectations at 6,7 or 8th place and a first round exit. That way you will appreciate what they will do wen they exceed that. The Bruins, I think, play better under the radar. Like Pittsburgh last year they are off to a horrible start. Everyone counted them out and that took the pressure off them. They snuck under the radar and dominated the last month or so and won the cup. This could very well be whats happening to the Bruins. But, what do I know? It's still early and I am itching for some Black and Gold, Black and Blue, Big and Bad Bruin Hockey. And hopefully it comes at the right time/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

I think we have reason to be on the ledge...

don't like that lineup from last night at all....  reminds me of Milbury's teams of early 90s, all these small, (allegedly) skilled buzzsaw type forwards who accomplish nothing ( no hits, minimal offense, no fights etc ) - very gay.

Chia head wet the bed huge trading Kobey.... 

Long year ahead....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Please talk me off the edge:
    [QUOTE]I think we have reason to be on the ledge... don't like that lineup from last night at all....  reminds me of Milbury's teams of early 90s, all these small, (allegedly) skilled buzzsaw type forwards who accomplish nothing ( no hits, minimal offense, no fights etc ) - very gay. Chia head wet the bed huge trading Kobey....  Long year ahead....         
    Posted by Griswal65[/QUOTE]

Alright, alright!!! already!

If you people think it's so terrible ....jump already.

Do me a favor.