Possible Kessel replacements

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Big-Bad-Bruins91. Show Big-Bad-Bruins91's posts

Possible Kessel replacements

Alright, if Chiarelli decides not to resign Kessel, we'll be left with a bit of cap space that could help us acquire an up and coming sniper.

Any thoughts as to who is should be?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Re: Possible Kessel replacements

I don't think 1.3 million is gonna cut it for getting an up and coming sniper. If you want to replace Kessel its going to be through the draft or through prospects

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

If Kessel is the one who chooses if he puts his signature on the contract or not. I'm willing to bet he's been offered a reasonable salary for his actual skill set and experience.

As for replacing him: Sturm's goals, the maturation of Wheeler and Lucic and the final stages of Bergeron's recovery will more than cover the goals 'lost' if Kessel isn't on the roster.

In Response to Possible Kessel replacements:
    [QUOTE]Alright, if Chiarelli decides not to resign Kessel, we'll be left with a bit of cap space that could help us acquire an up and coming sniper. Any thoughts as to who is should be?
    Posted by Big-Bad-Bruins91[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davidorr. Show Davidorr's posts

1.3 wouldn't even get you Mike Grier, never mind a sniper. dkrejci46 is right. Picks and prospects may be the only B's move without a major salary dump.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mario11. Show mario11's posts

Don't think Bergeron is ever going to recover.  He will never be a "point a game" guy again

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Bergeron will recover. He may not be a point a gam guy, but he will be a very good player. He was starting to turn is offensive game around at the end of lst season. I believe he will have a much better season this year.

Replacing Kessel's goals would come from a combination of players currently on the roster. Marco Sturm, healthy, should score 25-30 goals. Bergeron will score more than last year. We will have Recchi for a whole season. He scored 10 goals in 18 games with the Bruins last year. I think it is reasonable that he can score 20 this year. Then, you have to hope Bitz, Lucic & Wheeler continue to develop and score some more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimKe. Show JimKe's posts

In Response to Re: Possible Kessel replacements:
    [QUOTE]Don't think Bergeron is ever going to recover.  He will never be a "point a game" guy again
    Posted by mario11[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Mario.  Bergeron is the most over priced player on
    the Bruin's roster.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

first off mario, how is this at all relevant to the post. secondly bergeron is well on his way to a comeback

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Bergeron got his contract for being a "young" high point production guy in 1 season - now a couple injuries later and he is overpriced - it happens. Having said that - I thought he was great in the playoffs - physical presence - great defensive work as his line was used as a shut-down line for the Habs and Canes - and they were quite effective at it.
    And bandgbleeder got it right on "replacing" his 36 goals. You have 9 forwards who have or will reach 20+ goals (a healthy sturm should reach 30 and I think Ryder playing with Savard will reach 30). In a cap world - depth is extremely difficult to have - its hard to find a team with more offensive depth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Big-Bad-Bruins91. Show Big-Bad-Bruins91's posts

Just to chime in on the Bergeron conversation:

When Bergeron was signed, he was the only ray of hope in Boston. The Bruins needed to sign Bergeron as a major stepping stone, without him I don't see the turnaround in the last few years possible.

He'll be back, I've got a feeling.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Turk16. Show Turk16's posts

For cryin out loud.....take it from a guy who has been watchin and rootin for the B's since Jerry Toppazini and Forbes Kennedy were wearing the spoked B.....SIGN KESSEL!
    Goal scoring talent like his is rare for us indeed. No guarantee that Sturm does not lose a step/Recchi gets old in a hurry/Wheeler is a one year wonder/ Ryder goes back to his Hab bad habits! Pray to God -not..... but you need goals to win in this league and we need Phil.
    BTW-the morons bashing Bergeron are just that. Love the kid and he was all over the ice in the playoffs!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Big-Bad-Bruins91. Show Big-Bad-Bruins91's posts

Turk16 (Sanderson reference, nice),

Depth is more important than having young guns on the ice. Especially in the cap-era of the NHL.

There's literally no way we can sign Kessel without trading away some of that depth.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

- kessel +no sniper =no stanley cup

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

no Kessel + maybe 10 20 goal scorers + great defense = stanley cup if healthy

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

[QUOTE]For cryin out loud.....take it from a guy who has been watchin and rootin for the B's since Jerry Toppazini and Forbes Kennedy were wearing the spoked B.....SIGN KESSEL! Goal scoring talent like his is rare for us indeed. No guarantee that Sturm does not lose a step/Recchi gets old in a hurry/Wheeler is a one year wonder/ Ryder goes back to his Hab bad habits! Pray to God -not..... but you need goals to win in this league and we need Phil. BTW-the morons bashing Bergeron are just that. Love the kid and he was all over the ice in the playoffs!!!
    Posted by Turk16[/QUOTE]

Wheeler is a one year woner? Um - isn't that what you are basing signing Phil on? He had accomplished nothing before this season. Remember - he was benched in the '07-'08 playoffs?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

[QUOTE]For cryin out loud.....take it from a guy who has been watchin and rootin for the B's since Jerry Toppazini and Forbes Kennedy were wearing the spoked B.....SIGN KESSEL! Goal scoring talent like his is rare for us indeed. No guarantee that Sturm does not lose a step/Recchi gets old in a hurry/Wheeler is a one year wonder/ Ryder goes back to his Hab bad habits! Pray to God -not..... but you need goals to win in this league and we need Phil. BTW-the morons bashing Bergeron are just that. Love the kid and he was all over the ice in the playoffs!!!
    Posted by Turk16[/QUOTE]
    recchi isn't getting old in a hurry, he IS old and has been for  a while but still produces

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Kessel is a one-trick pony

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Turk16. Show Turk16's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Possible Kessel replacements : Wheeler is a one year woner? Um - isn't that what you are basing signing Phil on? He had accomplished nothing before this season. Remember - he was benched in the '07-'08 playoffs?
    Posted by BradyBruin[/QUOTE]
    What the heck are you smokin??? Gee, maybe I am wrong, but wasn't "Wheels" benched in the 08-09 playoffs.....disapeared the 2nd half of season. If you read my post, I did not say he was, but he might be......Alot of ifs with you counting on injured, kids or old guys to provide scoring......if you can't see that Phil Kessel has a rare sniper talent that is exciting to watch and wins games than I guess I am just glad you are not the GM of the Bruins!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Turk16. Show Turk16's posts

[QUOTE]Turk16 (Sanderson reference, nice), Depth is more important than having young guns on the ice. Especially in the cap-era of the NHL. There's literally no way we can sign Kessel without trading away some of that depth.
    Posted by Big-Bad-Bruins91[/QUOTE]

Loved the Turk.....great player for us during the glory years!

Sorry to disagree, but it seems like the Pens did OK with a few young guns. I take Kessel over any Bruin winger except Lucic. There are ways to make it happen that are outside my pay grade, but you don't let talent walk!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Turk, I think your way off, Wheeler will only get better. The reason he broke down at the end is because he went from a college length season to a pro length season. This happens all the time. The first year a player goes from 40 games to 80+ with all that travel they are bound to get tired.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Turk16. Show Turk16's posts

[QUOTE]Turk, I think your way off, Wheeler will only get better. The reason he broke down at the end is because he went from a college length season to a pro length season. This happens all the time. The first year a player goes from 40 games to 80+ with all that travel they are bound to get tired.
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

If you read my post.......I did not say that Wheeler is a one year wonder......I said there is no guarantee that he is not  (seen a whole hell of alot of them) and I followed that up by saying I hope he is not...........My son said he has been working out like a madman ......I understand moving college to pro.....however the jury is out, and I don't let PK go counting on Wheeler,Sturm, Recchi, Bitz, Kobasew,Thornton,or Ryder to pick up an additional 40 goals between them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

i read your post and i just don't think theres a chance of that, also, between those guys you mentioned, ill bet good money theres at least an extra 30 between those guys

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Turk16. Show Turk16's posts

Hey Krejci,
    I guess we agree to disagree......I won't take that bet cause I love Marco Sturm and HOPE he is ready to pot 30 or more goals. As I said, I hope & think Wheeler can bring it for a whole season/career, but the Bruin record books are full of guys who did great and than dissapeared.....thought Raycroft was the next coming of Ranford! Remember Janney and Bobby Joyce?? I got a Samsonov jersy in my closet thinking he was the next Nifty! The rest of our wingers (excluding Lucic, who is my favorite B since Cam, and might, just might blossom into a big time scorer) you can't count on for increased production. Sign Phil Kessel.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from drahcir61. Show drahcir61's posts

The Bruins have all the leverage & Kessel has few options other than sitting or playing in Europe.  The Bruins will sign him to a cheap 1 year deal, but they'll have to dump someone ... probably Kobasew or Bergeron.  You don't get rid of a 21 year old that scored 36 goals.  So what that he's not physical, he goes around guys ... & with the new rules on holding, etc. he'll get better at keeping his feet moving when he feels a stick or grab.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dinami. Show dinami's posts

Funny thing we are all.........

GMs.  We traded away Brad Boyes for Wideman....and look at all the goals BB is scoring with St. Louis.  So long as PC trades PK to better the team and bring it closer to a freakin Cup...I dont care....it seems fans are more emotional than the players as to who stays or who goes...After Gretz, Orr and Bourque being traded everyone else is gravy!!!

We want the Cup..not the evil character from the Incredibles!!!