Possible solution to the B's cap problems while keeping Savy and Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: Possible solution to the B's cap problems while keeping Savy and Thomas

In Response to Re: Possible solution to the B's cap problems while keeping Savy and Thomas:
    drewski, your a very knowledgable cap guy, quick question. When can the bruins declare that Sturm is on the LTIR. It was my understanding that entering training camp, when they have to be below the cap, he is going to count at his 3.5. I hope they just waive Ryder, and call up Caron, that makes things a lot easier, and my guess is that the difference between Ryder and Caron's production isn't huge
    Posted by pbergeron37

Agree, Sturm though is on the active roster during the summer and he did not play in the last 6 games of the playoffs.  The NHL LTIR states 10 games in a 24 day calendar period.  If that is the hard rule then yes the Bs would be over the cap.  If it is a soft interpretation, with NHL approval, then the playoffs and summer recuperation time for Sturm would be not added to the cap.  Based on the rule it is the former rather than the last.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

PC has until opening night to get the Bruins under the cap. You can be 10% over the cap until opening night which is Oct. 7th I believe. If Sturm is on LTIR you have some relief but it would still be to tight that's not good with injuries that happen early in the season. I expect Hunwick and/or Ference gone if PC doesn't send Ryder down the 95 to Providence.

Garth Snow where are you ? You need Michael Ryder!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Possible solution to the B's cap problems while keeping Savy and Thomas:
    PC has until opening night to get the Bruins under the cap. You can be 10% over the cap until opening night which is Oct. 7th I believe. If Sturm is on LTIR you have some relief but it would still be to tight that's not good with injuries that happen early in the season. I expect Hunwick and/or Ference gone if PC doesn't send Ryder down the 95 to Providence. Garth Snow where are you ? You need Michael Ryder!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Losing Ference or Hunwick doesn't give you cap relief; you can't trade one or both of them without leaving a hole on the blue line. McQuaid isn't a top six defenseman, but even if he did step into the lineup, the savings would be negligible.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

In Response to Re: Possible solution to the B's cap problems while keeping Savy and Thomas : Besides being injured a lot recently, I don't really understand why people are always down on Ference.  He's a pretty solid d-man, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, can hit and stick up for his teammates, etc. I know he isn't bursting with talent, but he seems like a very solid, honest, d-man for this team.  Save McQuaid to cover injuries -- we need Ference in the top six.
    Posted by Fletcher1

I like Ference too-- when he's healthy and on his game.  But those times are rare.  Will his groin hold up? 

If it's a choice between Ference and Ryder, I'd enjoy watching Ryder much more. He is a thrilling player at times.  I don't see the "laziness" that others write of.   Many have pointed out that he hit a lot of posts this past year.  With a bit of luck he could have scored 25-30. Now, in his contract year, he may do that and we'll be glad we didn't park him in Prov. 

As for McQuaid, he's a fast learner.  And there's also Button, getting some postive comment. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rhody3. Show Rhody3's posts

In Response to Possible solution to the B's cap problems while keeping Savy and Thomas:
    Currently the B's have $1.687 million in cap room and three players left to sign. Wheeler - $2.50-3 million Campbell - $1.1-1.3 million Seguin - ~$3.5-3.75 million (don't know how B.com puts it at $.975 million) Total cap hit - $7.1-8 This is a massive amount of salary to clear, so how do the Bs do it. Option A (Jacob's is not happy) You send Ryder to the minors - +$4 million Put Sturm on long term injury reserve - +$3.5 million Present cap room - $1.687 Total cap room - $9.187 Lucic - Savard - Horton Wheeler - Krejic - Seguin Paille - Bergeron - Recchi Marchand - Campbell - Thorton Chara - Seidenberg Boychuk - Stuart Ference - Hunwick Rask Thomas This combination fits under the cap nicely with room for a couple healthy scratches. The third line continues to be the D line with Paille, Bergy and Recchi. When Sturm comes back, the B's will have to trade Savard or Thomas who hopefully have more value then. I think this is the best case scenario. Option B (If Sturm is healthy) Trade Wheeler's rights for a 2-3rd round draft pick. Bring up Marchand. Save +$1.7 million. Ryder to the minors +$4 million.   Marchand, Seguin, Campbell - $5.66 million Cap room + Ryder to minors - $5.687 million Sturm - Savard - Horton  Lucic - Krejic - Seguin Paille - Bergeron - Recchi Marchand - Campbell - Thorton Chara - Seidenberg Boychuk - Stuart Ference - Hunwick Rask Thomas Tight to the cap but works. Option C (Jacobs happy) Trade Savy (or Thomas) & Wheeler, keep Ryder - give $4 million Sturm - Krejic - Horton  Lucic - Bergeron - Ryder Marchand - Seguin - Recchi Paille - Campbell - Thorton Chara - Seidenberg Boychuk - Stuart Ference - Hunwick Rask Thomas Gives you some cap room for scratches as well. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- In the end, I don't think we can keep Wheeler, Ryder, Savy and Thomas. One has to go eventually but if we put Sturm on LTIR and send Ryder to the minors, the B's can manage in the short term. I wish Fluto would have taken the time to put this together. Pretty easy to do. I also think we'll see one of the young kids up next year. My guess is Marchand will stick. Would love to see Hamil, Caron or Colborne (other draft picks incl) come up and succeed but it doesn't look like any of them are ready. All of the data was sourced from the links below. http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=5 http://www.capgeek.com/news/20100702-nine-nhl-teams-face-salary-cap-penalties-performance-bonuses.php http://www.capgeek.com/
    Posted by nrguy

How about trading Savard and Thomas to LA Kings for Jack Johnson and Dustin Brown.... Bruin could also add in Draft pick to complete deal?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Possible solution to the B's cap problems while keeping Savy and Thomas : Thats to much work to solve the cap problem, Thomas, Savard and Wheeler to NYI, To Boston Matt Moulson 1st and 2nd in 2011. Cap space solved scorring solved. GET ON WITH IT.
    Posted by degolds

Why would Thomas and Savard waive their NTCs to go to the Islanders?

Why would the Islanders make that trade?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Possible solution to the B's cap problems while keeping Savy and Thomas : How about trading Savard and Thomas to LA Kings for Jack Johnson and Dustin Brown.... Bruin could also add in Draft pick to complete deal?
    Posted by Rhody3

LOL, that's even funnier. Why on EARTH would L.A. trade two of their best young  players (one of whom is their captain) for two guys in their 30s with huge contracts? Why trade for a goalie when you've got Jonathan Quick? Why would Savard waive his no-trade to go to the West coast, when his children live in Ontario? Why would Thomas waive his contract to sit on the bench behind a youngster? He could do that in Boston.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rhody3. Show Rhody3's posts

How about posible trade with LA Kings....
    Bruins send Thomas and Savard and draft pick
    King send Jack Johnson and Dustin Brown to Bruins

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Possible solution to the B's cap problems while keeping Savy and Thomas : To get into the playoffs.
    Posted by degolds

Thomas and Savard would waive their NTCs to get into the playoffs?

Oh, you mean the Islanders? The way to get into the playoffs - and make a mark, not just lose in the first round - is to grit your teeth and build through the draft (see Chicago and Pittsburgh). Tavares and some of the other kids they have are a start. A couple more good drafts and they're contenders. They don't become contenders by giving up draft picks for long-term deals with players on the wrong side of 30.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vilho. Show Vilho's posts

we'll be close enough on the cap that as long as we don't have any buyouts, we'll go over a little bit from bonuses, but I doubt by the time the season starts that we'll be much over if not a couple mil under which is generally where Chiarelli like's to be.  Can't see Marchand making this team until someone goes down with injuries which is inevitable, just hopefully not as serious and unlucky as last year.  I'd love for us to start the year with what we have and if Thomas and/or Savard start either hot or at least well, then we can make a move from a strong position when Sturm comes back (if there isn't already another injured guy out anyway).  Sturm always seems to be a nice mid-season addition that ends up missing the end of the season, really hope they don't extend him and rather trade him when he's healthy.  This is a year we can really go far if health and luck permits...although when isn't that true.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

we'll be close enough on the cap that as long as we don't have any buyouts, we'll go over a little bit from bonuses, but I doubt by the time the season starts that we'll be much over if not a couple mil under which is generally where Chiarelli like's to be.  Can't see Marchand making this team until someone goes down with injuries which is inevitable, just hopefully not as serious and unlucky as last year.  I'd love for us to start the year with what we have and if Thomas and/or Savard start either hot or at least well, then we can make a move from a strong position when Sturm comes back (if there isn't already another injured guy out anyway).  Sturm always seems to be a nice mid-season addition that ends up missing the end of the season, really hope they don't extend him and rather trade him when he's healthy.  This is a year we can really go far if health and luck permits...although when isn't that true.
    Posted by Vilho

If we go in with marco on LTIR it will actually be very difficult to be under the cap.. We will be cap compliant, but we will be over unless we can shed his salary as well..