Props to the Bruins for the Effort Last Night

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

Props to the Bruins for the Effort Last Night

People can complain on this board all they want, but despite the loss last night, the Bruins actually played really well.

First, I'll start with the goals against.  The first 2 goals against clearly deflected off of Wideman, giving Thomas little to no time to react.  Maybe a sharper Thomas (aka getting more than 2 starts in the last 2-3 weeks) would have been able to track them down, but you still can't blame the guy.  The third goal was definitely one Thomas needed to make a save on.  As several people commented on, including Brickley during the broadcast, I'm surprised Julien went with Thomas.  I understand wanting to get him on a role, but his numbers against Buffalo were not good this season.  So if you think about it, two unlucky goals that he might have gotten to on a great day and one that he definitely should have had.  Julien obviously made the change to boost the team rather than punish Thomas for his play.  Last night spelled that Rask will no doubt be the #1 the rest of the way...

The offense played reasonably well.  They were strong on the forecheck, produced turnovers in the offensive zone, worked the puck around, and took good chances for the most part.  I also like to see the defense continuing their activity in the offensive zone.  It's definitely something that has been missed for most of the year.  There were several shifts last night where the Bruins held the puck in the offensive zone for a long time, working the puck around and setting up looks.  Let's face it, Miller not only made a number of quality saves, but he really limited his rebounds.  People can whine about Sturm not scoring on the penalty shot, but Miller is 9 for 10 in penalty shots this season.  Sturm obviously made the mistake of trying to beat Miller 5-hole.  You gotta stretch him out from post to post and get it high.  And even then he's more than capable of making the save.

The emotion was there, and, after the Bruins have stumbled through most of this season, that's the biggest thing I want to see.  I want the team to work harder than I would if I ever pulled on that jersey (HAHAHAHAH).  And there's no doubt the effort was there last night.  The Bruins took the body whenever they could, produced turnovers, and didn't shy away from gatherings after the whistle (FINALLY!).

All in all, the last 4 games have shown me that the Bruins are giving it their all to make the postseason.  2 shutouts for wins, 2 hot goalies for losses (Miller and Nittimaki).  The thing that actually impresses me the most is that for how poorly Rask played and the amount of bad turnovers that were made in that game against TB, the Bruins still scored 3 goals and poured 50 shots on net.  Even with 2 minutes left, you felt they were buzzing enough to have a chance.  I know that TB is not a good team, but giving a strong effort like that is contagious.

What do others think about this?  Agree or disagree with any points I make?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Re: Props to the Bruins for the Effort Last Night

Sturm giving his all?
    Wheeler giving his all?
    Wideman giving his all? (to the other team?)
    RYDER GIVING HIS ALL?
    Please think first before you say they gave their all. Some players are but not all. In the post game interview Sturm had a smile on his face. How could anyone smile after that loss?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Maybe what Sturm , Ryder , Wheeler , Wideman are giving is their all , they 've maxed out , what you see is what you get , end of story .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CdnBruinsFan. Show CdnBruinsFan's posts

Double sided coin really, we will see what tonight brings:

The Optimist
    Agreed Bruins have been showing more physicality and tenacity lately and have dominated teams for minutes rather than a few short seconds.  Their game in Philly not too long ago proved this team, when going on all gears, and not giving up deflating goals, can play well.  In fact the optimist in me, after watching recent games dreams about the hopes of a 1st round upset if they can turn their recent efforts into a 60 minute program.  Seeing Lucic's game return slowly is adding to my optimism.....

The Pessimist
    Between the lack of scoring punch and a coach/manager who seems to make dumbfounded decisions my sense of hope fades, so much so that I fear us not making the playoffs and even if we do what good is simply playing 4 more games??  If guys like Sturm, Ryder, Wheeler, Paille actually showed up and contributed this would be a different team.  Rask needs to be the goalie you ride out until the end of the season.  Seeing Sturm on a breakway is adding to my pessimism.....and to my vulgarities tossed at a TV from 3000 miles away pretending someone at the game will hear me.....

I wake up an optimist but end up resting my head as a pessimist.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

at the end of the day what counts is whether you win or lose....  they don't award points for "actually playing really well".... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MiesterBruinmaker. Show MiesterBruinmaker's posts

Effort? It wasn't their worst game of the season but I lost count of Buffalos odd man rushes after about 10

The defensive effort was ABYSMAL!

This isn't youth soccer where everyone gets a mini trophy and pizza after the game.

I am sick of the "moral victories"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Props to the Bruins for the Effort Last Night:
    at the end of the day what counts is whether you win or lose....  they don't award points for "actually playing really well".... 
    Posted by days-of-Orr

Agreed!  They may still not make the playoffs.  Hopefully,  they can win most of their remaining games.  It is has been very disappointing to watch the Bruins and Celtics this year.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

In Response to Props to the Bruins for the Effort Last Night:
    People can complain on this board all they want, but despite the loss last night, the Bruins actually played really well. First, I'll start with the goals against.  The first 2 goals against clearly deflected off of Wideman, giving Thomas little to no time to react.  Maybe a sharper Thomas (aka getting more than 2 starts in the last 2-3 weeks) would have been able to track them down, but you still can't blame the guy.  The third goal was definitely one Thomas needed to make a save on.  As several people commented on, including Brickley during the broadcast, I'm surprised Julien went with Thomas.  I understand wanting to get him on a role, but his numbers against Buffalo were not good this season.  So if you think about it, two unlucky goals that he might have gotten to on a great day and one that he definitely should have had.  Julien obviously made the change to boost the team rather than punish Thomas for his play.  Last night spelled that Rask will no doubt be the #1 the rest of the way... The offense played reasonably well.  They were strong on the forecheck, produced turnovers in the offensive zone, worked the puck around, and took good chances for the most part.  I also like to see the defense continuing their activity in the offensive zone.  It's definitely something that has been missed for most of the year.  There were several shifts last night where the Bruins held the puck in the offensive zone for a long time, working the puck around and setting up looks.  Let's face it, Miller not only made a number of quality saves, but he really limited his rebounds.  People can whine about Sturm not scoring on the penalty shot, but Miller is 9 for 10 in penalty shots this season.  Sturm obviously made the mistake of trying to beat Miller 5-hole.  You gotta stretch him out from post to post and get it high.  And even then he's more than capable of making the save. The emotion was there, and, after the Bruins have stumbled through most of this season, that's the biggest thing I want to see.  I want the team to work harder than I would if I ever pulled on that jersey (HAHAHAHAH).  And there's no doubt the effort was there last night.  The Bruins took the body whenever they could, produced turnovers, and didn't shy away from gatherings after the whistle (FINALLY!). All in all, the last 4 games have shown me that the Bruins are giving it their all to make the postseason.  2 shutouts for wins, 2 hot goalies for losses (Miller and Nittimaki).  The thing that actually impresses me the most is that for how poorly Rask played and the amount of bad turnovers that were made in that game against TB, the Bruins still scored 3 goals and poured 50 shots on net.  Even with 2 minutes left, you felt they were buzzing enough to have a chance.  I know that TB is not a good team, but giving a strong effort like that is contagious. What do others think about this?  Agree or disagree with any points I make?
    Posted by BruinsGM24

Absolute Nutz! The Bruins stopped playing mid-way through the first period until the start of the 3rd, which is too late against a good team.

Wheeler has now gone from promising rookie. To a big guy that can't hit and only has a 20 foot wrist shot. He is now trade bait.

I am not going to touch on Wideman, its quite obvious that this guy rob the Bruins, PC and Jacobs. Somebody call the cops! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Analysis is wrong on almost every level. 
    Played well?  Awful 2nd period and Buf was in the trap the last stanza.

Lost the game, to the Buf JV team to boot!

'Surprised that Thomas started'???  He was hot coming off a shutout, Tuuka is getting tired and back-to-back games coming up.  You think CJ wants TT to play vs Jersey again???  Therre is a reason why the announcer you reference is known as 'the Brick'!

You think guys played well?  Besides Chara and Sieds, who?????

Many shots but that isn't a positive=it's usually a sign that your team is losing most of the night.