Quit hating Wheeler!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Quit hating Wheeler!

A good percentage of posts recently suggest Wheeler should be discarded this offseason like he is some stiff?  Now I agree he did not improve much in his second season with the Bruins.  I also agree if a "great" trade opportunity arises such as for Iginla, Wheeler may need to be included.  But before throwing him on the scrap heap l would like to point out the pros of Mr. Wheeler. Age; 24 next year, Size; although not overly physical he has a wide wingspan, Speed; always been a plus, Upside; the kid has been a pro for TWO years!

In summary, a good yound player with speed and size that has two years of pro experience and is already a 20 goal guy.  Now after reading this, past regimes may have instantly traded him for an aging "name" player that we could squeeze a couple years out of before they hit F/A and left us with nothing.  While the young player dealt (Wheeler) hits stride with the new team and becomes a core player in a different zip code. At that point everybody throws the GM under the bus for causing such a disaster.

My point is this.  Be patient with young Wheeler with the hope his game continues to improve.  Not too far fetched when considering all the above.  At worst he is a good two way 3rd line forward that cost the B's nothing in terms of roster players or picks to acquire orginally.  At best a top six forward for several years to come.

Point blame elsewhere and not on the young guys! Let them grow and be patient with growing pains.  That is the right approach. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Re: Quit hating Wheeler!

I agree.

Even if he scores 15-20 goals a season this guy has so much skill that helps a team in many ways. The same can be said for Daniel Paille.

These two are the types of players that many playoff contenders do not have and will forever remain contenders without advancing to the next level.

I think Blake will develop to a 25-30 goal scorer, and that will be only one area in which he helps the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I think the only reason people look at wheeler as discardable is the question of what salary he will be looking for.. Wheatskins, you can't build contenders around players who are invisible in the play offs as wheelre clearly has been, the kid got stoned on an empty netter... his cap hit was 2.85m, if he can be resigned for 2-3 years 2m then sure keep him for a smaller cap hit, while he earns more money, and hopefully will develop (as well as last a season).   but all his "skill" hasn't translated to much, he is soft, and certainly not a guy who can lead by example.. The comparision to paille is way off.. In Paille i see a guy who has played his hardest, and lacks that top gear/finish (demonstrated by all his stoned break aways) but your never left questioning his work ethic, or his compete level.  The bruins as a team lacked this, and wheeler is pretty much the poster boy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

It depends on what he's asking for.  I'd rather have Wheeler at 2 million than Ryder at 4.  But let's not get ahead of ourselves.  Wheeler had ONE good regular season, and then disappeared in the playoffs (he was benched during the Montreal series).  He hasn't been the same player since the end of the '09 season; giving him a large contract based on such a small sample size wouldn't make sense.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Wheeler didnt have 1 good season though, he had 2 ok seasons, his drop off from last year to this wasnt extreme.. He has yet to prove that this wasn't a typical season. 45 points last year, 38 points this year.. nothing to suggest he doesnt continue to put up 40 ish points a season..  Who is to say he isnt a career chuck kobasew with more talent and less grit and heart?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: Quit hating Wheeler!:
    Wheeler didnt have 1 good season though, he had 2 ok seasons, his drop off from last year to this wasnt extreme.. He has yet to prove that this wasn't a typical season. 45 points last year, 38 points this year.. nothing to suggest he doesnt continue to put up 40 ish points a season..  Who is to say he isnt a career chuck kobasew with more talent and less grit and heart?
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Does it sound like I'm disagreeing with you?  I think Wheeler is overrated and they shouldn't bring him back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Quit hating Wheeler! : Does it sound like I'm disagreeing with you?  I think Wheeler is overrated and they shouldn't bring him back.
    Posted by TimThomas-god

no you sound like you were of similar opinion, if we can keep him for 2 million great if not let him walk he hasnt proven anything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Some valid points are made about Wheeler here.  I think Wheeler would make a decent 3rd or 4th liner.  I would pay him nothing more than $1mil/yr.  He made $2mil the last 2 years(cap # was lower due to bonus), and he hasn't produced enough to be paid at 2mil.  If he demands more than $1mil-trade his rights.  If he accepts a deal= his value, keep him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Love Wheeler! Just hit a bit more, shoot on the net, he's there! Love Wheeler!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aspirido. Show aspirido's posts

Hi is definitely better than Paille. Give him qualifying offfer 2 mil. should be enough  and if somebody give him 3 mil than get first round pick in return.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Better than Paille-agreed.  $2mil-disagree.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Congrats to LB34 , Wheatskins and Jozee76 for the good messages....you guys know your hockey much better than a lot of people on this board.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

...Says the guy who asked Bruins management for a front office position on boston.com!  Are you being serious?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

Congrats to LB34 , Wheatskins and Jozee76 for the good messages....you guys know your hockey much better than a lot of people on this board.....
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011
    Congrats to Stanley for being the laughing stock on this board.

BTW, Wheeler su-cks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Here's your calculation on Wheeler: what do you consider adequate compensation for him?

Let's assume a guy with 39 goals in his first two years* - soft or not - is within his rights to demand at least $1.45M/yr on a three year deal.  Or better yet, let's assume that it will take more than that to get him to sign an offer sheet with another team.  The minimum compensation for him if you let him sign elsewhere is second round pick.  If he signs for anything less than about $2.8M, that's all you get.  A second-rounder.  (The salary dollars here are a slight bump from the numbers for 2008, which would be adjusted to reflect the league's average salary.  Because the Cap's been pretty stable, I haven't raised them much.)

(*FYI: Kessel had 30 goals total in his first two years.)

I could see someone offering him over $2M just to see if the Bruins will match.  It makes too much sense not to, especially if you're a team who's second rounder is likely to be 55 or higher.  Say, the Penguins, who are back to the drawing board when it comes to finding Cindy and Gina wingers.

I think you might have to bite the bullet and match in that scenario - and make it clearly known to all that you will match any offer under $2.8M because if someone wants him enough to come in and offer him $3M, the compensation will jump to a first rounder and a third rounder.  I think Wheeler still has the potential to put it together if he gets his head around the changes in his game that he needs to make.  Not that he needs to play like Lucic, either; he needs to play smarter and less cute. Use the size to go to the net and I don't care as much if you lay the wood on the forecheck.

His agent will be beating the bushes for offers, but I doubt you'll see anyone go $3M for Blake.  He is, as KPD says, still playing an NCAA game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Wheeler instills the no heart that this team has. He needs to go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aspirido. Show aspirido's posts

Posted by jwb413

You don't win Cup with the heart. You win Cup with the skill.
    A lot of people blame Malkin for no heart, but I don't think last year Pit would win it without him.
    Doesn't matter how much heart Paille has for example.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Posted by jwb413

Yes he needs to go and be successful with another team and listen to all the ooo's and ahhhh's on how Chiarelli should get fired.
    It's only his 2nd season, you do not throw away potential.  Look at Patrick Sharp, Philly gave up on him and in his first season it took him 25 games to score his 1st goal in Chicago.   They kept him because they saw potential in him.
    What's great is Wheeler had a so so season therefore he and his agent will not be tryingto break the bank.  They can sign him cheap and would be a worthwhile siging.  If he wants 3M+ then goodbye and have him wait for a team to come fishing.
    Many hate him because with his size, speed they all want him to become a Getzlaf type player. Maybe if you face the fact that the Bruins got the rights to this guy for nothing and lower your expectations he's not half bad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: Quit hating Wheeler! : You don't win Cup with the heart. You win Cup with the skill. A lot of people blame Malkin for no heart, but I don't think last year Pit would win it without him. Doesn't matter how much heart Paille has for example.
    Posted by aspirido

Exactly.  Wheeler has neither heart nor skill, and therefore the Bruins should let him go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigThree. Show BigThree's posts

Wheeler is soft as a grape. Good riddance. I'm sure he is a nice guy but he is pure garbage as an NHLer. I would rather have Mark Mowers back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MILANlucic17. Show MILANlucic17's posts

For wheelers size and suposive skill set he has goten worse than his first half of his rookie season. With his size he should or could be a power forward but plays like a gutless panzi. If he stays here he will want a raise and if thats the case I say let him walk.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, that's too far.  If you actually want a whole team of Mark Mowers and Jeremy Reich, then just replay 2006-07.  Wheeler has scored nearly 40 goals in his two seasons - 30% more than another UMinnesota alum who was soft but fast.  Mowers, on the other hand, didn't score 20 goals total in his entire NHL career.  Yeah, I know, sarcasm - but someone will think you genuinely want Mowers rather than understand that the point is to insult Wheeler with a damning comparison.

Incidentally, what the f()ck is up with UMinnesota?  Is this pattern of fast but soft players (with attitude issues?) a result of playing in a state where college hockey is king?  So the whole BMoC attitude kicks in and these guys turn pro thinking they know how to be successful, just watch them?  I mean, Vanek's not exactly known as a killer.  Jordan Leopold neither.  Keith Ballard's got some juice, as does Paul Martin.  All I can say is UMinn hasn't been good luck for the Bruins - short of trading for better picks, of course.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MILANlucic17. Show MILANlucic17's posts

I also dont like U Min for beating my maine black bears for a national championship!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aspirido. Show aspirido's posts

In Response to Re: Quit hating Wheeler! : Exactly.  Wheeler has neither heart nor skill, and therefore the Bruins should let him go.
    Posted by TimThomas-god

He has enough skills to play PK and if you can keep him cheap why not?
    Again if he demands 3 mils then you let him go of course and get 1st and 3rd rounds. I doubt any GM will do it though Laughing
    How much do we expect to pay to 3rd liner wing? That's his price at the moment.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco1001. Show marco1001's posts

it;s the wheeler epidemic. wheeler is a big kid that has talent, he ;s a good skater with good hands but there have been many with the same characteristics who never mounted to anything in fact worse then wheeler. he just seems to lack something, like desire . he was benched for the playofs last year and this year he certainly wasn't that good.

he's young but do not make the mistake that he will get better he may get worse. very hard to project. i suggest if u can sign him at 1,5m sure?

the biggest knock i have is he seems scared and that's hard to witness with a guy with his size.

the bruins need a better balance of forwards, they have crafty centermen with playmaking abilities but hardly any scoring touch. They also lack players who
    can slap consistently with convistion and once and a while hit that top corner.

i hope somehow bruins can get Hall, he's the player i think we need but oilers will not ley him go. he just came up with a strong showing against Calgary in the memorial cup.

Seguin will be the bruin. in the start of the year i predicted the bruins would get john Mcfarland but he really went down on the rankings. He's a guy i would like to take a shot at say with a second rd pick.  Don't undersdtand what happened to him , number 1 pick in the ohl draft, the kid had some serious talent with a great shot.