Quit hating Wheeler!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: Quit hating Wheeler!

In Response to Re: Quit hating Wheeler!:
    In Response to Re: Quit hating Wheeler! : You don't win Cup with the heart. You win Cup with the skill. A lot of people blame Malkin for no heart, but I don't think last year Pit would win it without him. Doesn't matter how much heart Paille has for example.
    Posted by aspirido

with the cap, the league is tighter than it used to be.  obviously skill is very important, but there are several other "must haves', including
    Luck
    A Hot Goalie
    Momentum
    Determination
    Health

If a team craps out on any of the above....no cup parade

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Some valid points are made about Wheeler here.  I think Wheeler would make a decent 3rd or 4th liner.  I would pay him nothing more than $1mil/yr.  He made $2mil the last 2 years(cap # was lower due to bonus), and he hasn't produced enough to be paid at 2mil.  If he demands more than $1mil-trade his rights.  If he accepts a deal= his value, keep him.
    Posted by stingerjp

Ordinarily I waver each day when thinking of Wheeler.  The man can't protect the puck.  He is confused in traffic and/or the corners.  He is fast and did show an ability to shoot on net in 08-09.  He signed a good deal considering his sophomore year.  So, today I say sign him to a short term deal (2years) but anything over 2 million is a bit pricey. Agreed stingerjp.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Wheeler is a big baby. He has a wrist shot from outside the circle, when nobody is around him. Thats about it. He gets TONS of ice time on this team and hardly produces anything.

Trade him before he is worth nothing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Yeah, that's too far.  If you actually want a whole team of Mark Mowers and Jeremy Reich, then just replay 2006-07.  Wheeler has scored nearly 40 goals in his two seasons - 30% more than another UMinnesota alum who was soft but fast.  Mowers, on the other hand, didn't score 20 goals total in his entire NHL career.  Yeah, I know, sarcasm - but someone will think you genuinely want Mowers rather than understand that the point is to insult Wheeler with a damning comparison. Incidentally, what the f()ck is up with UMinnesota?  Is this pattern of fast but soft players (with attitude issues?) a result of playing in a state where college hockey is king?  So the whole BMoC attitude kicks in and these guys turn pro thinking they know how to be successful, just watch them?  I mean, Vanek's not exactly known as a killer.  Jordan Leopold neither.  Keith Ballard's got some juice, as does Paul Martin.  All I can say is UMinn hasn't been good luck for the Bruins - short of trading for better picks, of course.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Finally someone else noticed this.  It must be something in the water or something.  I swear they grow stupider while they are there.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

the biggest knock i have is he seems scared and that's hard to witness with a guy with his size.

Agreed.  I'm not sure that that is something he can overcome.  It isn't something that a player can just work on in the gym. 

Something else that I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread is how he was leading the puck into the zone and going offsides this season.  How many offensive rushes did he kill with that maneuver this season?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Some valid points are made about Wheeler here.  I think Wheeler would make a decent 3rd or 4th liner.  I would pay him nothing more than $1mil/yr.  He made $2mil the last 2 years(cap # was lower due to bonus), and he hasn't produced enough to be paid at 2mil.  If he demands more than $1mil-trade his rights.  If he accepts a deal= his value, keep him.
    Posted by stingerjp

Stinger,
    he made 2 mill total in the past 2 years, and this year I think he earned 785k But his cap hit was 2.85m because you have to count all the potential bonus's (of course this falls under the 10% cushion though)

Sections
Shortcuts