random thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

random thoughts

We need to appreciate this team for what it is, and understand where we are and where we can go from here.  The last half of last year, we were hardly "elite".(25 and 20 including o/t and s/o losses).  Of those 45 games, our goaltender was ESPN's top performer 23 times.  When your goalie needs to stand on his head every other game to save you....you've got other issues....it's too much to expect night in and night out.  In those 45 games we scored 123 and allowed 113.
    This year with a ton of injuries, and several key players having off years, our goals for/against ratio isn't as far off as many would think.  We're horrible in ot/so situations, and a ligitimate 25-30 goal guy would easily gives us 5 or 6 more points to date this year.
    We weren't that good last year, and we're not that far off this year.  Morris was a good pick up and Recchi brings much more to the table than many think.  Sturm is on par for what's expected(never scored more than 28), and Rask is progressing nicely.  Bergeron is playing to, or above expectation.  Pretty much everyone else is off, and we're still in the hunt.
    Personally, I'm not ready to give up on Lucic, Wheeler, TT, Wideman,Savy, Ryder and company.  Why?  Their current trading stock is far below market value.  PC is handcuffed at present, Dealing any of these guys right now gives us the shaft.
    Our core is strong, dealing that to get a Kovalchuck type player will set us back.  We can maybe pick up something at the deadline to help the playoff run, or stand pat. Help is on the way(draft), and many of these under achievers will find their game.  Their tradable worth going into July will almost certainly be higher than it is now.
    I don't think we're in terrible shape, we've just been deluded into thinking we should be an elite team at present.  We're not, but we're a team nobody's going to want to play in the playoffs, and we've got some exciting things on the horizon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: random thoughts

After all that, how can you say this is a team nobody's going to want to play in the postseason?

True , this is far from an elite team.

Somehow I don't think many teams are fearful that the Bruins are going to be invincible come June.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Your argument has some major flaws.  The B's WERE that good last year.  Most of the players on their roster had career years.

This year, we were hurt by the loss of Kessel but there are some other big problems.  Many of our roster players that had career years LAST year are not producing those similar results THIS year.  Some of it is due to injuries and some of it is due to guys having a down year. 

For example:  Savard, Chara, Wideman, Ryder, Lucic, Wheeler, and Krejci will all end up producing much less than they did last season.  You are right when you say the core is strong and help is on the way.  The B's WERE elite last season but did not follow it up with an ELITE effort/production this year. 

I think the draft will help build some talent for next season and i hope that they are able to gain some production from the FA market...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Injuries!  Injuries is what stopped our playoff run last year, and injuries are what has stopped this team from playing to it's full potenial. Your Ryers and Wheelers and Krejic's, your Stum's and Lucic will all under preform based on last year because of injuries. It really throws the team out of whack and it needs time for the mojo to set in when all the players are back. Throw this years stats in the garbage can, and let's see what this team can do without Kessel. I believe the Bruins will try to bring in another goal scorer ( no offense here Satan ) before the Mar.3rd deadline. With the goal tending we have (among the best), I think we are in for a real good playoff run.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Scoring is the issue now as it was last year only  a lot more this year.

Last 4 games 14Goals and never under 3, previous 10 Game non winning streak 16G scored. Had we scored 3 in all, we would have been 5-3-2 for 12 points as opposed to 0-6-4 for 4P, We would be at 73 points 2 back of Buf and 3 of Sens with 3 games in hand for a home position in playoffs.

A scorer is not going to score every game, but the threat and play of opposition is keyed to him when he is out there allowing others a little more freedom. Our injuries proved this since we didn't have the scoring talent, shutting down our better line left our others just not competing.

A legitimate scorer may not move us up far in the standings now, as season is almost over but, it will make us a better playoff team with a chance to go past 2nd round...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikehawkislong69. Show mikehawkislong69's posts

I don't think many people realize this and this is why I think it is a good idea to not blow the team up. Next year is a contract year for ryder, sturm, bergeron, and chara. Players in contract years have a tendency to perform at a higher level than others. For example, Patrick Marleau is one of my favorite players in the nhl. Before this season his career high for goals was 38, set in 2008-2009. Right now he has 38 goals this year and I think has a good chance at scoring 50. This is marleau's last year of his deal. Next year I hope he is either wearing teal and burnt orange or black and gold. Having said that, I don't think it is a coincidence that he is having a career year in his conract year. Now back to the bruins. I predict that if sturm and ryder are in a bruins uniform next year and if they stay healthy, both will pot 30 next year

potential bruins lineup next year
    lucic savard seguin
    wheeler/colbourne krejci ryder
    sturm bergeron paille
    marchand sobotka/hamill bitz

chara wideman
    boychuk stuart
    hunwick mcquaid

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: random thoughts:
    After all that, how can you say this is a team nobody's going to want to play in the postseason? True , this is far from an elite team. Somehow I don't think many teams are fearful that the Bruins are going to be invincible come June.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Don't think the B's will be invincible in June.  Think/hope they'll get into May

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Your argument has some major flaws.  The B's WERE that good last year.  Most of the players on their roster had career years. This year, we were hurt by the loss of Kessel but there are some other big problems.  Many of our roster players that had career years LAST year are not producing those similar results THIS year.  Some of it is due to injuries and some of it is due to guys having a down year.  For example:  Savard, Chara, Wideman, Ryder, Lucic, Wheeler, and Krejci will all end up producing much less than they did last season.  You are right when you say the core is strong and help is on the way.  The B's WERE elite last season but did not follow it up with an ELITE effort/production this year.  I think the draft will help build some talent for next season and i hope that they are able to gain some production from the FA market...
    Posted by stingerjp

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

How can a team that performed just above .500 over the last 3 1/2 months of the schedule...who relied solely on one player,(goaltender) to achieve that record.....be considered
    "That Good"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from degolds. Show degolds's posts

ZILLAGOD; If the Bruins are still playing in June everybody should be very afraid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

ZILLAGOD; If the Bruins are still playing in June everybody should be very afraid.
    Posted by degolds

I guess my meaning was that by June they won't be scaring anyone because they are not likely to still be playing.

Sorry for the poor wording.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Odds are that you are right Zilla, but stranger things have happened!  Look at last years Pens and picture the B's as the same, just without Malkin and Crosby!

Sections
Shortcuts