Rask On His Knees Again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRRocker. Show BRRocker's posts

Rask On His Knees Again

Last year it seemed Rask was going down on his knees early for every shot. I know he is a Butterfly style goaltender, but after watching last nights game it seems once again he is down for every shot. Every single goal last night(including the shootout) he was down on his knees, back deep in his net before the puck was even shot on goal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

Re: Rask On His Knees Again

I remember calling Rask highside last season because he had so much trouble with the high shots. Much like TT and the 5 hole

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

I know what your saying. Rask's save % in his two games is only a hair over .930 and a goals against average of just under 2.00. I can't see why we are even keeping this guy. He should get a shut out every game or we should just put him on waivers. And that Horton guy, come on he should be scoring 3 or 4 goals a game. What is management thinking keeping these guys ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Rask On His Knees Again:
    I know what your saying. Rask's save % in his two games is only a hair over .930 and a goals against average of just under 2.00. I can't see why we are even keeping this guy. He should get a shut out every game or we should just put him on waivers. And that Horton guy, come on he should be scoring 3 or 4 goals a game. What is management thinking keeping these guys ?
    Posted by Reilly24

Maybe they can pick up the pace in the regular season....this goal a game pace that Horton is on just wont cut it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

In Response to Rask On His Knees Again:
    Last year it seemed Rask was going down on his knees early for every shot. I know he is a Butterfly style goaltender, but after watching last nights game it seems once again he is down for every shot. Every single goal last night(including the shootout) he was down on his knees, back deep in his net before the puck was even shot on goal.
    Posted by BRRocker

You are right, it is called the butterfly style and they do go down to the "butterfly position" on all shots, it's what he does (and well I might add), thanks for stating the obvious.

Looking at the 2 goals he let by:

1. A flukey bouce of of some skates in front to the open side for a lucky garbage goal.

2. A giveaway behind the net for a point blank 1 timer just on the inside of the post over the left pad under the glove. Sorry, I'm not faulting Tuukka on that one.

Shoot out was a little different, Rask definately does not want to let in any down low no matter what. I'm sure no one liked the 1st goal. Second goal, youknow he did not want to be beat low again and he knew that. Just great selection of the shot and execution, what are you going to do, good shots happen...

Whats Tuukka gotta do to make you happy, lead the league in GAA and Save %?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

One of those goals was offsides, I think everyone let up a little.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Gimme me a break. Last nights game was like 90% of the games last year. They CAN"T score without savard setting people up.  Kampfer looks like a heck of a player that could replace Widesman offense, Caron didn't do much and other that that nice goal by Sequin, he is not going to light it up this year either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

A goalie has to make a choice.  Either he covers the bottom part of the net and leaves the top open...or he could try to stand up and the risk is that more goals will go in down low.  Rask is rock solid down low.  I think that if you have to get beat..it has to be a good shoot in the top corner.  Don't make it easy on the shooter.  A lot of those guys are not able to pick a corner simply because they have limited time.  It is a team sport.  If the D is in good position chances are he won't allow to many goals.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The scouting report on Rask seems to be that when he loses sight of the puck he tends to go down into the butterfly for example from a good goal scorer Gagne"s game n series winner last year in the playoffs. Simone waited for Tukka to go down then buried it however Gagne's shot had to be perfect cause Tuukka had cut off all angles. Definitely does have some work to do but there are no perfect goalies in my view.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Gimme me a break. Last nights game was like 90% of the games last year. They CAN"T score without savard setting people up.  Kampfer looks like a heck of a player that could replace Widesman offense, Caron didn't do much and other that that nice goal by Sequin, he is not going to light it up this year either.
    Posted by bluefox70

This post is 90% ridiculous. "Widesman" didnt give too much O last year and who the he!! is Sequin?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Rask On His Knees Again : This post is 90% ridiculous. "Widesman" didnt give too much O last year and who the he!! is Sequin?
    Posted by MDsizzle

LOL. I was thinking the same thing.

I just have to laugh at people getting all riled up about exhibition hockey games that feature kids who'll be playing in the AHL or going back to juniors. Who on earth puts stock in such things? Get in game shape, work on your areas of need, stay healthy and get ready for the season. Who gives a hoot about wins or losses?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Butterfly goalies get there high game picked apart, and stand up goalies get there low game picked apart. Do the math!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Rask On His Knees Again : This post is 90% ridiculous. "Widesman" didnt give too much O last year and who the he!! is Sequin?
    Posted by MDsizzle

Wideman didn't give too much O last year ?

Au contraire, Wideman was the Bruins' leading playoff scorer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Rask On His Knees Again : Wideman didn't give too much O last year ? Au contraire, Wideman was the Bruins' leading playoff scorer.
    Posted by RMiller87

It would have been Krejci if he didn't hurt .
    I want everyone to know that RMiller is really Denis Wideman .
    I can't wait for you to tell me again in March that you were the playoff leading scorer last season.
    For the record I supported you at 80% last season.
    Now back on the subjet; so Rask is a butterfly goalie , he goes donw on his knees, so what !!
    How many times when a butterfly goalie does down when loses track of a puck and it just hits him ? and then the ones that go over the shoulder while on their knees makes them look bad.
    Non butterfly goalies look bad on those type goals when losing track of the puck and then trickle between the pads hence Thomas and it's not even his fault. There are positive and negatives with both styles .
    The SO lost Saturday had nothing to do with the style but just not being ready for shootout and players he hasn't studied or seen before.
    I guess we'll be hearing a lot of this all season long. When Rask loses it's the butterfly and when Thomas loses he flipped and flopped.  BORING!
    The only thing I don't like this upcoming season is this trip and the start of the season there. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Just like last season.Goaltending is the least of the Bruins worries.Can Julien find a working offensive scheme,is a far better question?Last season both goalies deserved five more wins, then they got with their play.
    Posted by juniorfalcons19

Good comment !  That is the key to the Bruins success this season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Just like last season.Goaltending is the least of the Bruins worries.Can Julien find a working offensive scheme,is a far better question?Last season both goalies deserved five more wins, then they got with their play.
    Posted by juniorfalcons19

Agreed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Wideman was our leading scorer (For a team that lost because it can't score)... and the previous year Ryder tied Kessel for playoff pts. How many goals was Wideman responsible for on his own team in the playoffs? Average that out and that stat doesn't mean much.
    Rask makes difficult stops look easy. Much like Miller does. 2 gaa and going to a shootout - sounds like a pretty solid game preseason game.

Bluefox - in case you missed the memo... any INTELLIGENT B's fan is not expecting Seguin to light it up this year. What we are expecting is to see steady improvement throughout the year. Now Horton on the other hand... I am hoping (Not necessarily expecting in his 1st yr with the team and Savvy out) will light it up this year.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

Posted by Reilly24

I agree with mr Sarcasm here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

Posted by MDsizzle

Ha!  Thank you Sizzle!  Ever since the Seguin/Hall story began, I've seen the name "Sequin" - with a Q - all over the comments and these boards.  Drives me nuts!!  The Q and G aren't even close to each other on the keyboard...  They're definitely not typos because it's always the same people.

Anyway, regarding Rask's style ... he's fine.  Ask Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Florida, etc., etc. if they'd be willing to put up with Rask's "faults."  I'm sure they'd be happy to be disappointed by him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

The scouting report on Rask seems to be that when he loses sight of the puck he tends to go down into the butterfly for example from a good goal scorer Gagne"s game n series winner last year in the playoffs. Simone waited for Tukka to go down then buried it however Gagne's shot had to be perfect cause Tuukka had cut off all angles. Definitely does have some work to do but there are no perfect goalies in my view.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Even stand-up goalie's are supposed to go down low on screen shots. It's a rule as a goalie to take the lower part of the net away in case of deflections. Which most deflections are directed to the lower part.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Goaltending is the LEAST of their problems?  I really dont think so.  They have a veteran who has some issues and a young guy who has some issues.  You can say he lead the league, blah, blah, blah, but when Timmy dominated 2 years ago everyone still picked him apart because they didnt like his style. 

Rask goes down WAY TOO EARLY a lot of the time.  He let in 2 HORRIBLY easy goals in the shootout because he went down, FACT.  Everyone seems to know there is an issue there, and when he goes down its a goal up high every time.  He DOESNT cover the top of the net when he is down, its like he loses sight of the puck or something.

You cant judge a guy based on 1 season and ONLY 45 games played for crying out loud.  He didnt look good MANY times last year and I dont get why people on this board go on and on about how good he is when he lets in 4 goals after being up 4-0.

Last year in the playoffs (13 games) he let in 36 goals.  COME ON!!!  Thats NOT acceptable.  Thats NOT going to win in the long run.  The previous year TT played 11 playoff games, let in 21 goals and they STILL lost. 

If he doesnt make the high saves when he is on his knees he will blow many games this year, like the FLA game the other night.  Up 2-0 in the 2nd, he lets in 4 straight including the shootout to blow it.  Reminded me of the Philly meltdown last year.  I know its only pre-season, but Im already seeing the same stuff as last year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Rask On His Knees Again : Even stand-up goalie's are supposed to go down low on screen shots. It's a rule as a goalie to take the lower part of the net away in case of deflections. Which most deflections are directed to the lower part.
    Posted by nitemare-38

I should have added that Tuukka sometimes goes down a little too early for my tatse but in no way does that mean he can't solve this as it is minor. His natural instincts as a goalie are unquestionably good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Goaltending is the LEAST of their problems?  I really dont think so.  They have a veteran who has some issues and a young guy who has some issues.  You can say he lead the league, blah, blah, blah, but when Timmy dominated 2 years ago everyone still picked him apart because they didnt like his style.  Rask goes down WAY TOO EARLY a lot of the time.  He let in 2 HORRIBLY easy goals in the shootout because he went down, FACT.  Everyone seems to know there is an issue there, and when he goes down its a goal up high every time.  He DOESNT cover the top of the net when he is down, its like he loses sight of the puck or something. You cant judge a guy based on 1 season and ONLY 45 games played for crying out loud.  He didnt look good MANY times last year and I dont get why people on this board go on and on about how good he is when he lets in 4 goals after being up 4-0. Last year in the playoffs (13 games) he let in 36 goals.  COME ON!!!  Thats NOT acceptable.  Thats NOT going to win in the long run.  The previous year TT played 11 playoff games, let in 21 goals and they STILL lost.  If he doesnt make the high saves when he is on his knees he will blow many games this year, like the FLA game the other night.  Up 2-0 in the 2nd, he lets in 4 straight including the shootout to blow it.  Reminded me of the Philly meltdown last year.  I know its only pre-season, but Im already seeing the same stuff as last year.
    Posted by bigvig

Don't bother big! Trust me....After 63 games in the league. Rask is the sh*t! He does no wrong & TT can do no right. So, save your energy.

Sections
Shortcuts