Re-sign Recchi...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Re-sign Recchi...

Sure doesn't sound like he's ready to hang 'em up. I'd love to have him back for another season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=525060

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpeat. Show soxpeat's posts

Re: Resign Recchi...

I say bring him back at the same cost.  At times, he looked like the only guy on the ice that showed heart and determination (along with Bergeron).  He is a helluva good example for Lucic and some of the other younger players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Resign Recchi...

Okay, not to be a crank, but: "resign" is what you want Charlie Jacobs to do - it means quit, leave, sayonara.  If you like Recchi, you want him to re-sign.

That said, there's an argument for having him around.  It's awfully hard to make that decision now, before you know what the draft looks like and where you'll be with RFAs and the Cap.  If I'm Chiarelli, I tell Recchi at his exit interview that we're interested, but we're not sure how best to make it work, so we want to stay in touch while we deal with some of the decisions that will affect the franchise longer term with the intention of eventually bringing him in in the same role he had this year - 3rd liner who gets some PP time and spends a lot of time tutoring the younger guys.  If he gets a better offer, we'd ask for a call to see if we can work something out, but if he decides to go he'll get nothing but praise from us.

I think they need to see who among the prospects earns a roster spot in camp, what kind of trades cross the desk, and what kind of cash crunch they'll be facing.  $1M is relatively low-risk, but Recchi becomes little more than a player coach, that's money on the cap that could be off of it as part of the coaching salaries.  ...  Which might not be a bad idea if Recchi's interested.  Sign him and if he isn't top nine at the end of camp, or the end of October or whenever, he retires into a coaching/mentoring role.