Rumor by Darren Dreger - Bruins to add a defenseman after Olympics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisbruinsfan. Show chrisbruinsfan's posts

Re: Rumor by Darren Dreger - Bruins to add a defenseman after Olympics

Visnovsky - 7 million dollar cap hit this year.....6 million next year.

NO THANKS

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

People when you propose ideas please do some research before sending the messages. McCabe's cap hit is $5.75 million, and Horton's is $4 mil while Weiss' cap hit is $3.1. Under no logical circumstance do we get both players, and McCabe is signed on for another year. Vishnovsky is also too expensive. By looking at Hamhuis they're looking at a defensive defenseman, somebody to make sure Thomas doesn't get the chance to give up a soft goal. Chiarelli is going to be looking at expiring contracts or somebody with a bigger value. Expect something that'll give up smaller assets or maybe as high as a 2nd if we could get rid of Ryder's contract. A team like Florida would like a higher pick if they want to take salary on, but they need to have the salary space to do so. Florida is near the top of the cap, but if they're rebuilding like they've said then they're looking to cut costs or get  valuable piece in return.

A deal will most likely result in somebody who's not viewed as on the market but isn't hard to get.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

I can only imagine the posts, if we were to add the defensively inept McCabe 34 and Kaberle 31, we might score more but we would definetely have a raise in our goals against average.

So Wideman would be excused since there would be 2 defencemen coughing up the pucks worse than him and taking the heat as in tradem' the're stiffs and then no matter whether TT is in nets or Rask their heads would be called for as for sure their averages would be way out of whack.

Both D would be screamed, at PC would be screamed at for taking on so much salary in these guys, both are paid more than Wideman.

We have a solid D, we need a scorer.

If we can add a puck moving D at a lower cost and more youthful than these 2 with a bit better D side, then sure go for it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazybsfan04. Show crazybsfan04's posts

i just heard as of yesterday on hockeyleaks.com that the four possible names that the b's could be goin' after might be: j.m.liles,aaron wardo,james wisniewski,and tomas kaberle.outta the four i'd take wisniewski,because the man gives a beating,and major punishment to people. (especially when they're in front of his goaltender's net!)Also he's a pretty good scorer as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Rumor by Darren Dreger - Bruins to add a defenseman after Olympics:
    i just heard as of yesterday on hockeyleaks.com that the four possible names that the b's could be goin' after might be: j.m.liles,aaron wardo,james wisniewski,and tomas kaberle.outta the four i'd take wisniewski,because the man gives a beating,and major punishment to people. (especially when they're in front of his goaltender's net!)Also he's a pretty good scorer as well.
    Posted by crazybsfan04

Unless they are unloading Wideman and/Ryder, I will set myself on fire if they bring Ward back.  One year older than last year and it shows.  He's a UFA this summer and no one is going to sign him, especially at 2.5 mil.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazybsfan04. Show crazybsfan04's posts

i'm not so sure why everyone wants to get rid of ryder here,because last year he was a beast in the playoffs for us! Hey, if he continues the same trend this year,then i'll forget all about his regular season stats and just focus on what he does in the playoffs!I'm more concerned about wheeler than ryder (when it comes to the playoffs of course.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

crazybsfan04 James Wisniewski would be a great addition, but the Ducks are weak on defense at this point.  So why let him go?  He is a free agent at the end of the year like Hamhuis.  Ward is tough and a leader, but his days are long long gone.  Liles is a HUGE gamble, I would keep Wideman under those circumstances.  Kaberle is intriguing.  I just think of keeping the picks as a better option.  Burke would want a pick and player.  Under those circumstances no deal! i

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I agree.Ryder seems to be getting his touch back.If he goes on a roll down the stretch I won't care how the season started.How the season ends is all that matters.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

I highly doubt Chiarelli is going for a big player at the deadline. He's not looking to steal any thunder or deal anything major. He'll pick up a decent player at a medium cost, no high picks or top prospects. I think a guy like Hamhuis could help, and if they don't reach an extension with him Nashville will look to deal him. His pending UFA status will lower the price, and he could be very valuable come playoff time. J-M Liles is a risk not worth taking given his $4.2 mil cap hit and two more years on his contract. Chiarelli has already come out and said this market is garbage and the garbage is too expensive to bother right now. Now I know demands will fall closer to the draft but there's nothing worth considering for the cheaper players and the players teams want are at a wayy too high of a price (and Burke has shown he'll keep Kaberle if he doesn't find a deal he likes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

For no reason other than sheer personal bias, I don't want Kaberle.  I've never liked his game even though I have to admit he's had success.  I'm not sure I believe that that success would follow him out of Toronto - the only place he's played and so his comfort zone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Now Murphy is in on it.

http://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74

Lots of chatter about Bruins trading for d-man when trade freeze is lifted. Dan Hamhuis keeps coming up. Told it is between Pitt n Bruins.

Pittsburg? 
    Alex Goligoski? Eaton? Orpik? Gonchar? 
    How could any of those happen?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamminjim. Show jamminjim's posts

Hi again everyone.my take on this is we need chara to get his head out of the sand,this team was awsome when chara played like ray( you know).Our defense #ucks at offense.You olso notice the power play is very unorginized,i think coaching is the reason.and his choices on shootouts.Chara is not my 4th choice.if anything send him first and tell him,go 5 feet and give it you 100 mile an hr shot.Let the golie know your takin his head off,and send a message to your forwards,by sending him first.I was at the florida game and i think sturm missed on purpose.There is something wrong with him and management,coach,system not to his liking.This guy should be lighting it up!THIS IS GONNA SOUND CRAZY!go after florida`s talent,weiss,reinprecht,horton,vokoun,for the # 1(ours),#2(toronto),Crejci (someone to build around),Ryder(someone they can trade for more pics) ,Hunwick,Thomas,,PLEASE REPLY KINDLY,BUT SERIOUS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Jamminjim  Chara can be shut down defenseman on a team with better offense.  The fact the Bruins are looking into a puck moving defenseman indicates he is not Ray Bourque like going from "tape to tape" on passes.  

As for you trade You are basically looking at Horton (age 24) and Reinprecht (33) for Ryder (29) and Hunwick (24) plus two picks in the top 35 overall in the draft.  (Weiss is not a serious upgrade over Krecji imo, Thomas (age 35) and Vokoun (33) are similar in age if not ability over the past few years.)  Horton and Weiss's contract go way beyond Krecji and Ryder's contracts in commitment. Although Horton could very well be a top notch player still, I am not sure he is worth the top picks in the top 35 overall. Those picks could in fact make the Bruins a better team in the long run.   Patience is the key word for this year.  Keep the picks and draft well.  Go Bruins.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

B's 8 and Shuper are right, "they need dmen to transition the puck to the forwards faster to create more odd man rushes", but SO is everyone who says they need scorers.  The B's weak D is covered up by their strong team D (Julien's system), but that doesn't mean they don't need more D.  The fact is this B's team isn't close to being a top-4 Cup contender...they're 2-3 F and 2-3 D away...so yes, any moves that PC makes will be more with the long-term in mind than this season.     

To HE]] with picking up scrap-heap defensemen.  Getting older D like Visnofsky (the guy's been okay this year, but was a nightmare the past two seasons, way underperformed, soft defensively and almost inexplicably inconsistent) and some of the others listed above is not the way to go.  B's need younger D who are about to move into their prime, which is why I hope they keep Hunwick. He's playing in his first full season (really), and D's tougher to learn than forward.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

BruinsCountry, how do we have defense that blow at offense. Chara is a 50 point player, as is Wideman when he actually plays with some signs of life. Hunwick can play offensively, as can Boychuk. Our only real defensive defenseman is Stuart. We need somebody who can play 20+ minutes a game. Since Stuart has been plagued by injuries this year we've been without a dependable defensive defenseman, and we need somebody like him. They do need somebody who can move the puck, but they also need somebody who will give hits and clear the net. I think Hamhuis is the capable middle man for both needs.

As for the playoffs, while it's probable we don't win the cup, when the playing field is shortened odds take a turn. If the B's catch on fire I think we could make a real run. Call me crazy but I see enough talent in this team to scrap their way through a few rounds. Even when we had the losing streak we still kept a tight defense for the most part. If our defense strengthens and our offense comes alive we can be the cinderella story this year. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

BTW all of you mentioning Souray, he's done for the season.  He got surgery on his wrist,  AGAIN !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Joe, I would also ask "how do we have D that blow on defense".  Other than Chara, Stuart and sometimes Ference, we have to hold our breath whenever the opposition's in our zone.  I suspect Morris would look like Wideman if he wasn't paired with Chara; Wideman's back to playing like the guy we saw when we first got him (he MUST be paired with Chara to be effective).  Boychuk, Hunwick and now McQuaid continue to learn.  Note:  Just saw Providence get shutout tonight 4-0 at Manchester, the 5th time in 7 meetings that the P-B's have been shutout by the Monarchs.  It would appear the P-B's have the same problems scoring as the parent club...  Marchand seems to have regressed, but maybe that was just tonight.  Hamill's improved some, but remains nowhere near NHL caliber IMHO.  Kings Asst. GM Ron Hextall, B's Peter Chiarelli and their minions were on hand, further fueling fire a trade may be in the works when the Olympics conclude. 

That said, two major problems with this season's B's, one obvious, the other, not so obvious:

- Injuries - ANY team that loses it's top 3 centers and 4 of it's top-6 defensemen over the course of about 10 weeks is going to suffer.  But the other problem is one that's largely been overlooked.

- Complacency - Goes back to early Feb., 2009.  This team has put forth inconsistent effort ever since.  They didn't play too well over the final 8 weeks of last season, but few really noticed because of the huge lead B's had accumulated.  Easy series vs. hapless Montreal club; but B's admitted during their second series that they "came out flat" for 3 of their playoffs games vs. Carolina.  That 9-day break between series shouldn't have mattered once they played Game 1, but because they won Game 1 fairly easily, these bozos figured they had the Cup in their back pocket.  This complacency extended into the current season.  Even when we were healthy in October, they came out flat numerous times.  So even if they get healthy down the stretch of this season, I have little faith they'll suddenly discover a way to overcome the complacency that's plagued them for almost 13 months now. 

WHY are they so complacent?  They haven't won a phreekin' thing (and they won't if they don't change their attitude).  What bothers me almost as much is why doesn't B's media pursue this issue?  Why don't they ask Julien and Chiarelli, are they afraid of 'em or something?     

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chocolate6669. Show Chocolate6669's posts

The Defence has not been all that great this year.  Hunwick has at least 5 givaways a night, wideman is wideman, Chara has been all right but not norris like.  Ference wasn't any good at the start but seemed all right the last few games and the young guys plus morris have been good. I feel they need a puck mover back there to help jumpstart the offense.  If you can't make a tape to tape pass to get outta your end your gonna have trouble scoring.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's not the points from the D that's the biggest issue - though I think that's a bigger problem than the loss of one scoring winger as I've pointed out elsewhere.  What they need is D that can pass.  The breakout passes have been brutal this year, both in timing and accuracy, and that has killed the transition game.  If you figure that the Bruins are scoring 1/2 as many transition goals because of the weak breakouts, then think about how a quick strike goal affects momentum and confidence, I think you've got a big chunk of what's wrong with this team.  This doesn't explain why Ryder, Wheeler, and Sturm can't bury chances from the top of the blue paint or why Wideman can't hit the net, but those would be less troublesome issues if the Bruins had another 20+ transition goals.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Rumor by Darren Dreger - Bruins to add a defenseman after Olympics:
    Joe, I would also ask "how do we have D that blow on defense ".  Other than Chara, Stuart and sometimes Ference, we have to hold our breath whenever the opposition's in our zone.  I suspect Morris would look like Wideman if he wasn't paired with Chara; Wideman's back to playing like the guy we saw when we first got him (he MUST be paired with Chara to be effective).  Boychuk, Hunwick and now McQuaid continue to learn.  Note:  Just saw Providence get shutout tonight 4-0 at Manchester, the 5th time in 7 meetings that the P-B's have been shutout by the Monarchs.  It would appear the P-B's have the same problems scoring as the parent club...  Marchand seems to have regressed, but maybe that was just tonight.  Hamill's improved some, but remains nowhere near NHL caliber IMHO.  Kings Asst. GM Ron Hextall, B's Peter Chiarelli and their minions were on hand, further fueling fire a trade may be in the works when the Olympics conclude.  That said, two major problems with this season's B's, one obvious, the other, not so obvious:  - Injuries - ANY team that loses it's top 3 centers and 4 of it's top-6 defensemen over the course of about 10 weeks is going to suffer.  But the other problem is one that's largely been overlooked.  - Complacency - Goes back to early Feb., 2009.  This team has put forth inconsistent effort ever since.  They didn't play too well over the final 8 weeks of last season, but few really noticed because of the huge lead B's had accumulated.  Easy series vs. hapless Montreal club; but B's admitted during their second series that they "came out flat" for 3 of their playoffs games vs. Carolina.  That 9-day break between series shouldn't have mattered once they played Game 1, but because they won Game 1 fairly easily, these bozos figured they had the Cup in their back pocket.  This complacency extended into the current season.  Even when we were healthy in October, they came out flat numerous times.  So even if they get healthy down the stretch of this season, I have little faith they'll suddenly discover a way to overcome the complacency that's plagued them for almost 13 months now.  WHY are they so complacent?  They haven't won a phreekin' thing (and they won't if they don't change their attitude).  What bothers me almost as much is why doesn't B's media pursue this issue?  Why don't they ask Julien and Chiarelli, are they afraid of 'em or something?     
    Posted by BruinsCountry

agree with the complacency thing early in the season.  complacency equals inconcistency.  should also be noted that the B's were not average for the last 8 weeks of last season....but were average from Christmas on.  Complacency can be dealt with, and, maybe it has.  we need to play with more confidence now.
      even during parts of the losing streak, we played extremely well...just folded up when it mattered most.  some will say it's laziness, lack of talent, or both.  I think it's confidence.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainstone. Show captainstone's posts

Could the Bs use a better transition game from its D?  Absolutely; but shouldn't a couple of those Dman, one making almost $4M and the other almost $3.5M, be providing that already?  Isn't that partly what they are getting (over)paid to do?

OTOH, any team that has Miroslav Satan on its top 6 is going nowhere. 

I would rather not trade any of our 1st- or 2nd-rounders for merely over-the-hill rentals; in fact, I would rather see Chia find suckers...er, takers for Wide-man & Ryder and use that extra $8M to make a run at Kovalchuck on July 1st.

Fuhgeddabout this season, Chia; sell sell sell after the Olympics. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Could the Bs use a better transition game from its D?  Absolutely; but shouldn't a couple of those Dman, one making almost $4M and the other almost $3.5M, be providing that already?  Isn't that partly what they are getting (over)paid to do? OTOH, any team that has Miroslav Satan on its top 6 is going nowhere.  I would rather not trade any of our 1st- or 2nd-rounders for merely over-the-hill rentals; in fact, I would rather see Chia find suckers...er, takers for Wide-man & Ryder and use that extra $8M to make a run at Kovalchuck on July 1st. Fuhgeddabout this season, Chia; sell sell sell after the Olympics. 
    Posted by captainstone

Yes yes yes.  Keep all picks and get rid of the dead wood.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

I'll agree with you on that part BruinsCountry, they have gotten quite complacent. And though I hate to admit it I think a trade would be good for the team, it'll shake things up and bring in somebody who's not complacent. The injuries have been slowing down/fading from the amount and severity they were before, hopefully that also changes things up. I wouldn't mind us picking up a guy like Hamhuis and a forward like Mueller if the price was right. For Hamhuis nothing as high as a first and nothing in 2010 and Mueller maybe Hamill and another prospect that Phoenix likes but isn't in our untouchable area (Colborne or Caron mostly) or pick (4th or 5th round, 3rd if it'll get a deal done and over with). People don't like to hear about Mueller but he's a guy with proven skill and needs a shakeup in his life. Maybe coming to Boston will reignite his love for hockey or just burn a fire under him. Maybe Julien will regain his teaching abilities and get Mueller back on the right track. As much as some people don't like Julien right now the fact remains that he is one of the best teaching coaches in the league, which may not help as an NHL coach but maybe once his contract is done he could be a phenomenal AHL coach if he's not too proud.