Ryder this year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brentsmith. Show brentsmith's posts

Ryder this year

I believe this is the last year of his contract. He most likely thinks he has one more decent contract left in his career. His play last year went down productivly wise so I have to think he will rebound if only to cash in next summer. Could be good for the Bruins

Your thoughts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

Re: Ryder this year

If Ryder can be moved he should be moved. I would rather see his 4mil off the books than see Savard go. If Ryder can't be moved he could best serve the Bruins in Providence helping the young guys and serving as a call up if he proves he is worth it. The Bruins need his cap space and I don't think he will improve much from last season. The Bruins have some very good young players who could fill his spot or the Bruins could sign another good scoring winger with the cap space the loss of Ryder would create. Ryder will be hard to trade and the Bruins have few options.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

The last time Ryder was in a contract year, he put up 14-17-31 totals in 70 games, which somehow warranted a 3 year 12 million dollar contract offer from PC. If Ryder rebounds this year, which I think is definitely possible, it will not be because he is in a contract year

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

This game is about consistency... Ryder doesn't have any. Trade him or send him down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from -sabot-13. Show -sabot-13's posts

Ryder will be bought out.  Wheeler's arbitration gives PC a second window to buy out contracts like we did with Murray.  If PC can't move TT or Savy, then the only way to free up cap space so that we're not over will be to buy out somebody and drop them from the team...    

Bang for your buck is the name of the game.  Trim the fat, highest paid/lowest production...  That was Wideman.  (Chara and TT get a free pass on this) Next 3 are Ryder, Sturm and Lucic.

I like Lucic and I know he has more upside.  Just wish we only paid him 2 mil instead of 4.  I's between Sturm and Ryder.  My vote is Ryder.

btw re TT, I cringe at his 5mil cap hit but think of this:
    with him - best goalie pairing in the NHL
    without him - a virtual rookie and a unknown joke replacement

and re Savy:  please don't trade him.  yea, it was a d!ck move to (more or less) blame Sobokata but the truth is, that penaty was meaningless, we had already lost the series.  More important, Savy has heart and wants to win.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

OMG, Are you really serious about the Lucic comment? Did you even follow the season? I'd love to see you play with his injuries and even if you could get on the ice, play with any level of skill...Lucic is a Bruins brand player, who will more than fulfill his end of the contract...
    The stuff we don't know or hear about is the motivation for moves...Ryder to Providence makes sense...don't buy him out and chip away at next year's cap space...he still has value to the B's or some other team if injuries strike...

In Response to Re: Ryder this year:
    Ryder will be bought out.  Wheeler's arbitration gives PC a second window to buy out contracts like we did with Murray.  If PC can't move TT or Savy, then the only way to free up cap space so that we're not over will be to buy out somebody and drop them from the team...     Bang for your buck is the name of the game.  Trim the fat, highest paid/lowest production...  That was Wideman.  (Chara and TT get a free pass on this) Next 3 are Ryder, Sturm and Lucic. I like Lucic and I know he has more upside.  Just wish we only paid him 2 mil instead of 4.  I's between Sturm and Ryder.  My vote is Ryder. btw re TT, I cringe at his 5mil cap hit but think of this: with him - best goalie pairing in the NHL without him - a virtual rookie and a unknown joke replacement and re Savy:  please don't trade him.  yea, it was a d!ck move to (more or less) blame Sobokata but the truth is, that penaty was meaningless, we had already lost the series.  More important, Savy has heart and wants to win.
    Posted by -sabot-13

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raithrover. Show raithrover's posts

Ryder brings nothing to the team that cant be replaced for a cheaper cap hit. Agree with just about everything Sabot says including Lucic, I am a big fan but he needs to show this year that he is worth the 4 million (which I am doubtful)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

He's a streaky player. I think he'll have a better year than last simply because it'd be difficult to be much worse. I wonder how much his game was affected by the problems with his brother? If cap problems make it necessary then I'd let him go.

Since its Saturday and there's a serious shortage of hockey here's some Ryder goals courtesy of nhl.com

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8467545

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Any negative post on Looch is wrong. He was limited by the high ankle sprain which limits movement. He recovered and became the earlier Looch during th eplayoffs. The 4Mill was protection by Chia against a preemptive offer of more, so it actually was cap management. Ryder may go to Providence, but he will not be a mentor or available for recall due to waiver limits. Some of these posts are strange

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

Not ANOTHER Ryder thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is getting worse than the never-ending threads about that guy the Bruins traded to Toronto last year....please make it stop!!!!!

For my 2 cents worth(again), Ryder will have a great season....refer to the other 50 threads on the subject to see my reasons why.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

To buy out Ryder now means 2/3 his salary or higher. It looks like we have to ryde him out. I hope you guys are right and he has a better season. 25 goals from him would be great.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Ryder this year : your sample size is 1 year.  nothing to draw there. I agree w the original poster. 
    Posted by Drewski5

I disagree with you, Drew.  Yes, the sample is one, but if that sample of one is not enough data, to suggest he'll have a better year because it's a contract year is also incorrect due to not enough data.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Ryder one year contract should be easy to move
    (1) to TB for RFA d man Paul Ranger TB has d men but short on forwards with no contracts

(2) to Dallas for Sean Backman University grad. with goal scoring but small good for  Providence and Ryder can with old mate Robiero

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Lucic wasn't making 4mil last season. It was $685,000.

Ryder will be bought out.  Wheeler's arbitration gives PC a second window to buy out contracts like we did with Murray.  If PC can't move TT or Savy, then the only way to free up cap space so that we're not over will be to buy out somebody and drop them from the team...     Bang for your buck is the name of the game.  Trim the fat, highest paid/lowest production...  That was Wideman.  (Chara and TT get a free pass on this) Next 3 are Ryder, Sturm and Lucic. I like Lucic and I know he has more upside.  Just wish we only paid him 2 mil instead of 4.  I's between Sturm and Ryder.  My vote is Ryder. btw re TT, I cringe at his 5mil cap hit but think of this: with him - best goalie pairing in the NHL without him - a virtual rookie and a unknown joke replacement and re Savy:  please don't trade him.  yea, it was a d!ck move to (more or less) blame Sobokata but the truth is, that penaty was meaningless, we had already lost the series.  More important, Savy has heart and wants to win.
    Posted by -sabot-13

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

The Dallas ownership group is not going to drop 4mil for a good player right now if they can avoid it, for Ryder, it's just not happening. He was made available last year, and I suspect PC tried to work him into both Sobotka and Widemans trades as well.

Ryder one year contract should be easy to move (1) to TB for RFA d man Paul Ranger TB has d men but short on forwards with no contracts (2) to Dallas for Sean Backman University grad. with goal scoring but small good for  Providence and Ryder can with old mate Robiero
    Posted by Canbostondoit

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Ryder has had more then 1 contract year, that was actually his 4th contract I believe as montreal brought him along on 1 yeear deals (probably because he is so streaky)

I don't think this will be his last contract he is only 30, but it will be his last contract at that amount, and possibly of that length..

Trim that fat and lucic.. His cap his last season was 700k? ish, So even with the injuries I think he produced above that level, I would let him actually have a chance to earn, or not earn that contract before I give up on him calling him overpaid...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Ryder this year : I disagree with you, Drew.  Yes, the sample is one, but if that sample of one is not enough data, to suggest he'll have a better year because it's a contract year is also incorrect due to not enough data.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I think the arguement is this:

Side A: Ryder will have a better year because player's tend to find motivation when they are UFA's.
    Strength of arguement: Its based off a huge sample (every UFA ever)
    Weakness of arguement: Its an assumption based on generalized data and not specific to ryder himself.  There have also been countless exceptions.

Side B: The fact that he is an upcoming UFA will have no impact on ryder because he stunk last time he was in said situation
    Strengths: its specific to ryder himself
    Weakness: tiny sample

The problem w tiny samples is they overlook the impact of irrelevant variables (in larger samples these variables tend to wash due to the law of averages).  So while Ryder did not succeed last time he was a UFA, it could have been because he was egotistical then (he may have matured since), he could have been going through a divorce (been unfocused), he could have had a newborn (lack of sleep), he could have had sleep apnea....Small samples are too easily swayed by variables that may no longer be present.

But you are correct in the sense that if you are going to point out the weakness in side B, you cant overlook the weakness in side A if you wish to remain objective.

The conclusion is pretty simple.  Neither side a nor side b can be overly confident in their prediction re: how ryder will do this year. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

Ryder reminds me of Marty LaPointe, had one high goal scoring season & all GM's believed he could "find" that level again...same will happen w/ Ryder, he'll take that one good contract & maybe kick around a few more teams until they finally figure out he's just not that good; he can shoot with the best of them & it's made himself a nice living out of it....but time for Caron-Colburne-Knight-Marchand to get their chances over Ryder.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Perspective on Luc

Last year he was injured and only played 50 games of which he was at 100% for less than 10 games. His salary was 850K and he scored 9 goals, a cost of about 94k per goal. That progression is 43Goals for 4M, Ov got 50 for 9M and Lecavalier 24 for 10M.

I don't expect him to hit 43, but he will score more than 23 the comparable buck per goal that Ov scored this year. What Luc will bring is a compete level that is uncomparable on every shift, his neergy and excitement is what makes his salary worth the 4M as long as he rebounds from horrible injures and plays a full season as opposed to 50 injured.

Ryder's season(as noted by many people on the woes of the entire B's) is the byproduct of injuries and complacency or Gm ineptitude.

Injuries changed the entire makeup of the team from start of season to final game.  3rd and 4th liners were playing top line at many times, so the KRW line was easier to check when there was no other legitimate threats. 

The complacency came from the start as well, everyone looked like they thought they could mail it in and the other teams would just fold and give them the 2 points. Cj never adjusted when they had injuries and couldn't score except to bring in a C because he could play D.

Gm ineptitude, waiting for a draft pick to replace your star scorer and not replacing him is just brain dead. He tried a stiff, no one else wanted at 700K, which worked OK but was far from the answer. Bringing Horton is a great answer but it needed to be done last year especially with loss of Kess and the injury bug felling the players like the Sahara Rain Forest.

Ryder is def worth a shot to see if he can hit 28-35 goals and to earn his contract, if he doesn't, cut him loose when Sturm comes back and put Sturm on the same notice as Ryder and cut him loose by deadline. If they continue to press and hit posts etc without goals that is not contributing. 

This assessment, needs to be sent to all the players that their chances are numbered and they need to make the best of them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Perspective 
    Ryder is def worth a shot to see if he can hit 28-35 goals and to earn his contract, if he doesn't, cut him loose when Sturm comes back and put Sturm on the same notice as Ryder and cut him loose by deadline. If they continue to press and hit posts etc without goals that is not contributing.  This assessment, needs to be sent to all the players that their chances are numbered and they need to make the best of them. Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

This where it looks like PC is leaning towards Sturm's slight LTIR cushion with a dump of Hunwick then waive Ryder into Providence to eat some Dunkin Donuts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Ryder this year : This where it looks like PC is leaning towards Sturm's slight LTIR cushion with a dump of Hunwick then waive Ryder into Providence to eat some Dunkin Donuts.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

If they dump Hunwick, it leaves them with a hole in the defense. Why would they do that?

And I don't get the "it's a contract year, Ryder will play great" argument at all, never have. It wasn't like Ryder wasn't trying/didn't care LAST year. If anything, he tried too hard, and would miss the net on shots he should (and has) easily have scored on. Slumps have that effect.

I feel sorry for the guy; I have no doubt his family troubles were weighing heavily on him last season. But the best case scenario for the Bruins would be to find someone who needs a proven goal-scorer (and he IS a goal-scorer, last year notwithstanding) and is willing to take on the salary. Perhaps a team like the Islanders, who are struggling to reach the cap floor. We can hope.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Ryder this year : If they dump Hunwick, it leaves them with a hole in the defense. Why would they do that? And I don't get the "it's a contract year, Ryder will play great" argument at all, never have. It wasn't like Ryder wasn't trying/didn't care LAST year. If anything, he tried too hard, and would miss the net on shots he should (and has) easily have scored on. Slumps have that effect. I feel sorry for the guy; I have no doubt his family troubles were weighing heavily on him last season. But the best case scenario for the Bruins would be to find someone who needs a proven goal-scorer (and he IS a goal-scorer, last year notwithstanding) and is willing to take on the salary. Perhaps a team like the Islanders, who are struggling to reach the cap floor. We can hope.
    Posted by duinne

The logic behind the upcoming UFA line of reasoning extends to off ice habits as well.  Players generally spend more time practicing when they are in contract years.  Ryder's also likely to pay more attention to nutrition and sleep habits.  Veterans once thought finished resurge in contract years all the time.

While no one is penciling Ryder in for 30 goals, his supporters are saying....is it really worth it to bury him in providence to MAKE SURE we dont get a second rd pick for blake wheeler (when this would solve our cap issues and make room for a call-up).  I dont love Ryder, but I think he's got more 2010-2011 goals in him than Blake Wheeler does.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Ryder this year : I disagree with you, Drew.  Yes, the sample is one, but if that sample of one is not enough data, to suggest he'll have a better year because it's a contract year is also incorrect due to not enough data.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I was a believer that Ryder was a poor player in the last year as Habitant or Canadien. There are other variables though, Montreal fans su@k, they tend to be focus on one player a year as their scapegoat.  The last year of the Montreal Ryder, he was the scapegoat.  Hopefully the season will start out well and Ryder will produce without the angst of the Bs fans so strangely witnessed personally when Wideman arrived three years ago in Boston.  I firmly believe if the cap issues remain in the end of September, Ryder will be demoted to Providence.  No more buyouts as a young team will have issues with bonus contracts in the next few years.  BTW I am not a Ryder supporter just a Bs fan.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Ryder this year : If they dump Hunwick, it leaves them with a hole in the defense. Why would they do that? And I don't get the "it's a contract year, Ryder will play great" argument at all, never have. It wasn't like Ryder wasn't trying/didn't care LAST year. Posted by duinne

I would say if Hunwick gets traded which I think he will it's to help with the cap squeeze. I was actually one of the few on this board that still hoped Matt could return to the pre-spleen Hunwick. McQuaid can't move the puck like Hunwick but he's more physical, can hit better and he'll throw down when someone takes some liberties with say..a guy like Tyler Seguin plus the main reason cheaper not by much PC needs every penny.

I agree I don't think Ryder will return to his previous numbers. His last contract year in Montreal he totaled like 14. PC sent an email out last winter around the deadline offering Ryder to every GM. I think Michael might actually make it back through re-entry waivers at this point. He'll probably be waived not in pre-season but when Sturm returns in Nov. or Dec. then his cap hit won't hurt so much.

Bookboy actually made that call of the Islanders earlier makes sense with the cap floor. PC has to find some room Sturm's LTIR isn't going to be enough, Savard is not going to waive his NTC.

So where is PC going to go for the money ? I say Ference and/or Hunwick...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Sahara Rain Forest ??

Is that sarcasm or do you have the wrong continent?

Sections
Shortcuts