Savard May Want Out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: Savard May Want Out

In Response to Re: Savard May Want Out:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Savard May Want Out : Oh god duninne this is free agent to be speak 101, 99% of free agents in any sport say this same exact thing during thier free agent year. While some cheerleading fanboys like you eat this up with a spoon and preorder a new jersey for next season with the players name on the back, everyone else know it is a buisness and this is his last shot at a big contract.
    Posted by FairbanksAK[/QUOTE]

Interesting that you comment only on the final part of my post and not on the other points.

At any rate, I'm very aware that it's a business. I'm I'm also aware of the circumstances in Savard's case.

First of all, there are family considerations, as I've noted. Even if the Canucks or Sharks offered him megabucks I doubt he'd go there, for obvious reasons.

Then there are previous comments Savard's made about his signing with the Bruins, noting that he made pretty good coin on THIS contract. Remember he was a UFA when he signed; this is not his first shot at good money. If it was, then I'd be more apt to believe he'd follow the money.

More intangible but no less real are two other considerations: The very real shot at winning a Stanley Cup, which is important to a guy in his 30s; and the fact that Savard has flourished under Julien's system and has transformed himself from a guy many considered talented but selfish, to a player who is highly respected around the NHL. When a player considers his legacy, as Savard is obviously doing these days, these are no small things.

I'm not saying he will sign. A lot depends not only on Savard himself but on the Bruins. If Bergeron and Krejci are outstanding, if Sobotka has a great year, if Hamill is deemed ready to make the leap next season, heck, if Colbourne rips it up at Denver and informs them he's going pro in the spring, it's possible they could let Savvy walk, or often him only a token contract. Who knows?

But I think it's a disservice to someone who's played his heart out for this team to simply dismiss him and say he's a typical greedy athlete. We need look no farther than David Krejci to see that it doesn't always happen that way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This whole thread should be called the Pronger Thread.  Ever since Pronger asked out of Edmonton because his wife hated it there, every possible family-related angle gets scrutinized.  There's no way to predict what Savard will do.  I'm sure he doesn't know yet what he'll do. He may even be sincere about taking a manageable contract and about staying in Boston.  But schist happens.  He might fall in love with a Cuban woman while on vacation and decide he needs to live in Miami.  He might decide that, over 5 years, the difference between 6.5 and 6 is pretty steep.  He might get traded if the Bruins are a .500 club at the trade deadline (I doubt this happens).

So really, we're talking about controlling the situation.  Do you think the Bruins need Savard badly enough to extend him now?  Are you willing to gamble that he want to be a Bruin badly enough to accept what seems like a reasonable offer at $6M even though there may be someone out there looking to reunite Kovalchuk and Savard via free agency?  Plus the Toronto option?  How much do you have to bid to make him feel he's getting a fair deal even if it's not exactly market?  All that other stuff is just grist for the mill.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

It is too early to panic with Savard's contract.  I think he likes it here and will stay.  Remember- Milbury's forte is to get a rise out of audiences.  I don't believe him.  The trading of Kobasew is an early sign to me that they are clearing room for Savvy's new contract.  I think this will get done but it will take a while.  The B's management knows just how important this guy is, especially to the PP unit.

Patrice- i love the guy but i have to agree right now that he is nothing more than a 3rd line center right now.  He has played well over the last couple of weeks, but the guy played very poorly last season.  He had 8 goals and under 40 pts on a high scoring team last year.  I know there are reasons why, but he is not worth that contract.  If you think a #2 center is one that will get you 15 goals/year, it will also get you eliminated in the first round.  Don't get me wrong, nobody is pulling for this guy more than I but he is not playing at a high level.  Like Costas said:  'Bergeron WAS... REMEMBER WHAT HE USED to do....". This is past tense and we shouldn't live in the past.  I'm not a Bergy hater, i just don't see his play being at a high level over the past season...

Krejci-i think his injury slowed him down over the first few weeks of the season but he is quickly regaining his form from last year...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFaninOntario. Show BruinsFaninOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Savard May Want Out : First of all, Savard's family has always lived in the Toronto area. He is divorced, with three young children, and one reason why he signed with Boston is because it's easy for them to fly in for visitation.   It's also one reason he has a no trade clause in his contract.  Secondly, Mike Milbury is a tool who can't evaluate talent to save his life. This is a guy who had a large hand in destroying the Islanders franchise when he was a GM, who traded, among others, Zdeno Chara and Roberto Luongo for next to nothing. And when he's on a TV panel, he'll do anything short of climbing up on the table and dropping his pants to call attention to himself; he loves playing the contrarian role, and he loves criticizing players. Since he was a terrible GM and a mediocre player, I don't know where he gets the credibility, but whatever.   Thirdly, if you look at the NHL today and the current market, Savard is underpaid. That's just the reality of it. If he chooses free agency, he will without a doubt get more than $6 million per.   As far as signing a new contract with the Bruins, well, there are several considerations for Savvy. As I've said, he'll want to be close to his children, so he's not going to San Jose or Vancouver. At his age, he wants to play for a winner, so he's not going to the Islanders, and I'd imagine he'd hesitate at the idea of Toronto, even if they do improve. But also at his age, he'd probably want a long-term contract, and I don't blame him for that.  And then there's his comments (on NESN):    "I want to stay here," Savard continued. "This is a place I love. I love the people. I love the fans. This is where I want to be." If the Bruins have the money, Savard said he doesn't expect any problems ironing out a new deal with the Bruins. "I'm not worried about the contract at all," said Savard, who led the Bruins in scoring last season with 88 points. "Peter [Chiarelli] and I have a good relationship. Ever since I came to Boston, I've given everything I had and if things work out well -- and I think they will -- then I'm going to be here for a long, long time." That's from September, but he recently reiterated his comments for NESN.  PS: And I don't understand why you say Recchi "may" be gone. He said when he signed his (one-year) contract that this was his last shot.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

I would say that you are the voice of reason. You have chosen fact over speculation and innuendo to support your position...job well done. And I think you're right, I would be surprised if Savard was playing anywhere other than Boston next year and beyond. I'm actuall not worried about this at all. As you point out, Savard has said he wants to stay here...that's enough for me. And Toronto??? I live just north of Toronto, and the Leafs are the biggest donkeyass, bag licking laughingstock disgrace in all of professional sports, after the Detroit Lions and the NBA Clippers. The Leafs should be happy to sign a drunk off the subway, forget about attracting top talent like Savard. The Leafs blow dead sheep. Savvy stays.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

stingerjp, why cut Krejci slack for his injury and not Bergeron?  To me, the only difference is the degree of severity, and so recovvery time. 

Basically, it took Bergeron about 50 games to begin to resemble the old Bergy - the guy who pasted Vaclav Varada as a rookie, who made a great play to win a playoff game, and the guy who, when the Bruins signed Savard, was called a 1A centre.  He started the process, then got dinged again, so start the clock at 0.  By the playoffs, he was playing with more energy than he'd had in forever.  This year, despite the team's slow start:

- he's on pace for close to 60 pts playing mostly 3rd line minutes with 3rd line players
    - he's the team's second leading scorer, tied with Morris
    - he's winning nearly 56% of his draws
    - he has almost twice as many takeaways as giveaways.

I'd like to see his physical game get more consistent.  He wouldn't lead the forwards in hits the way he did in 06-07 (65 - not a big number, but in good company with Shanahan, Tkachuk, Scott Nichol in the same range), but he's got that ability to hit in open ice, and you don't lose that ability, though you might lose the willingness.  He's also shown some flashes of dynamic play in the offensive zone, and if that gear comes back fully, I don't see the criticism continuing.  Even from Wensink.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]This whole thread should be called the Pronger Thread.  Ever since Pronger asked out of Edmonton because his wife hated it there, every possible family-related angle gets scrutinized.  There's no way to predict what Savard will do.  I'm sure he doesn't know yet what he'll do. He may even be sincere about taking a manageable contract and about staying in Boston.  But schist happens.  He might fall in love with a Cuban woman while on vacation and decide he needs to live in Miami.  He might decide that, over 5 years, the difference between 6.5 and 6 is pretty steep.  He might get traded if the Bruins are a .500 club at the trade deadline (I doubt this happens). So really, we're talking about controlling the situation.  Do you think the Bruins need Savard badly enough to extend him now?  Are you willing to gamble that he want to be a Bruin badly enough to accept what seems like a reasonable offer at $6M even though there may be someone out there looking to reunite Kovalchuk and Savard via free agency?  Plus the Toronto option?  How much do you have to bid to make him feel he's getting a fair deal even if it's not exactly market?  All that other stuff is just grist for the mill.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Oh, I don't know. Family considerations were always there, since the advent of free agency, well before Pronger; his situation just got at ton of publicity. And it's not just family but many other factors as well. Of course money is a top consideration, but teammates, coaches, GMs, markets, travel, length of contract, NTCs -- there are a lot of things to consider. Hockey players are human beings just like the rest of us.

The real wild card, as I've noted before, is the Bruins' depth at center. Bergeron (who is returning to his old form) and Krejci are young and very talented and Sobotka shows great promise, but the guys to really keep an eye on are Hamill and Colbourne (though Colbourne, unfortunately, has a broken fiinger). 

It's a tough row to hoe right now, and I'm glad I don't have to make the decision. I absolutely adore Savard; he's one of my favorite players, but I'd be sorely tempted to forgo giving him a contract (if he wants huge years/numbers) and put an offer sheet on Jonathan Toews (the Blackhawks are facing hideous cap troubles next year).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

I am a Bruins fan from Canada and I always ignore the Toronto media.
    (1) They predict the wrong trades or injuries
    (2) The economy is weak all of North America
    (3) Every year they say this is the team that will win the Cup even the fans I work with here in Southern Ontario say the same thing.

What does the Toronto Maple Leafs and a triangle have in common? answer  three points.
    Mike Mibury why do you think he is not a GM and did he not beat a fan with shoe once upon a time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

[QUOTE]stingerjp, why cut Krejci slack for his injury and not Bergeron?  To me, the only difference is the degree of severity, and so recovvery time.  Basically, it took Bergeron about 50 games to begin to resemble the old Bergy - the guy who pasted Vaclav Varada as a rookie, who made a great play to win a playoff game, and the guy who, when the Bruins signed Savard, was called a 1A centre.  He started the process, then got dinged again, so start the clock at 0.  By the playoffs, he was playing with more energy than he'd had in forever.  This year, despite the team's slow start: - he's on pace for close to 60 pts playing mostly 3rd line minutes with 3rd line players - he's the team's second leading scorer, tied with Morris - he's winning nearly 56% of his draws - he has almost twice as many takeaways as giveaways. I'd like to see his physical game get more consistent.  He wouldn't lead the forwards in hits the way he did in 06-07 (65 - not a big number, but in good company with Shanahan, Tkachuk, Scott Nichol in the same range), but he's got that ability to hit in open ice, and you don't lose that ability, though you might lose the willingness.  He's also shown some flashes of dynamic play in the offensive zone, and if that gear comes back fully, I don't see the criticism continuing.  Even from Wensink.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Bookboy,
    I hope we get that Bergy back that you are talking about.  I'm not cutting him slack because he has been back from the injury for quite some time and is a different player.  Krejci has just got back from his injury, had no preseason, and already has made great strides.

I am a little tired of announcers saying Bergy is getting better with each game-if that was the case he would be outplaying Ovechkin by now!!! 

You are right-if he gets that skill back he will silence his critics(including me).  Until then, I just don't think he is the same level player that he was.  The 1A center is now a #3 center.  Krejci has passed him on the depth chart. 

Patrice's decent start is a positive sign but there is still a ways to go.  We could both point to a bunch of stats to make our point but I'm not trying to say he stinks because I do like the guy.  With his big contract, he better pick up his play or he won't be around for too long...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I know one thing for sure.  This thread is 7 months too early.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]I am a Bruins fan from Canada and I always ignore the Toronto media. (1) They predict the wrong trades or injuries (2) The economy is weak all of North America (3) Every year they say this is the team that will win the Cup even the fans I work with here in Southern Ontario say the same thing. What does the Toronto Maple Leafs and a triangle have in common? answer  three points. Mike Mibury why do you think he is not a GM and did he not beat a fan with shoe once upon a time.
    Posted by Canbostondoit[/QUOTE]

Actually, beating a fan with a shoe (in Madison Square Garden) was the greatest thing Milbury every did. Makes me laugh to this day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Savard May Want Out
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Ah. Common sense, and it's even articulate. I love it.

[QUOTE]: First of all, Savard's family has always lived in the Toronto area. He is divorced, with three young children, and one reason why he signed with Boston is because it's easy for them to fly in for visitation.[/QUOTE]

I did not know that. But then, the hockey media isn't famous for disseminating actual facts.

[QUOTE]Secondly, Mike Milbury is a tool who can't evaluate talent to save his life. This is a guy who had a large hand in destroying the Islanders franchise when he was a GM, who traded, among others, Zdeno Chara and Roberto Luongo for next to nothing.[/QUOTE]

Yes but he's such a great talker! Seriously though, management wasn't his forte'. And neither was coaching or playing hockey, apparently. Lucky for him, he's still making a living because he knows well how to appear as though he knows what he's talking about.

[QUOTE]And when he's on a TV panel, he'll do anything short of climbing up on the table and dropping his pants to call attention to himself; he loves playing the contrarian role, and he loves criticizing players. Since he was a terrible GM and a mediocre player, I don't know where he gets the credibility, but whatever.[/QUOTE]

Great talker. People buy into that cr@p.

[QUOTE]Thirdly, if you look at the NHL today and the current market, Savard is underpaid.[/QUOTE]

And the emperor has no clothes.

[QUOTE]If he chooses free agency, he will without a doubt get more than $6 million per.[/QUOTE]

You mean he's naked?!   

[QUOTE]As far as signing a new contract with the Bruins, well, there are several considerations for Savvy. As I've said, he'll want to be close to his children, so he's not going to San Jose or Vancouver. At his age, he wants to play for a winner, so he's not going to the Islanders, and I'd imagine he'd hesitate at the idea of Toronto, even if they do improve. But also at his age, he'd probably want a long-term contract, and I don't blame him for that.  And then there's his comments (on NESN):    "I want to stay here," Savard continued. "This is a place I love. I love the people. I love the fans. This is where I want to be." If the Bruins have the money, Savard said he doesn't expect any problems ironing out a new deal with the Bruins. "I'm not worried about the contract at all," said Savard, who led the Bruins in scoring last season with 88 points. "Peter [Chiarelli] and I have a good relationship. Ever since I came to Boston, I've given everything I had and if things work out well -- and I think they will -- then I'm going to be here for a long, long time." That's from September, but he recently reiterated his comments for NESN.[/QUOTE]

Yes but what you're stating are truths. That makes you a factionista. We want to panic on the basis of hunches-- not facts.

[QUOTE]PS: And I don't understand why you say Recchi "may" be gone. He said when he signed his (one-year) contract that this was his last shot.[/QUOTE]

The dumbest thing I've ever read on these boards might just be the claim that Recchi should go. But it's more than dumb, it's transparently ignorant. One of the first things we learned this summer about the roster was that Recchi's around for what is likely his final year.

And why would we want Recchi? All he does is score goals, hit like a maniac and work harder than most guys in the league. And pfft-- who wants a player who shows up to the locker room in tha playoffs with his IV, hours after invasive surgery?

And who wants a player who's the first to get back to the bench so he can have the visor removed to fight the guy who cheap-shotted his teammate?

Pffft.

BU

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

duinne - You're right, there are all sorts of non-monetary compensations that factor into who signs where.  As there should be.  My point really wasn't far from what you say here - the media over that Pronger story now has the media going sheep-randy every time they see some new family-related angle.  We wouldn't be talking about Savard leaving if some talking head didn't have Savard's family on a watch list.

I think I said something similar to your point about not re-signing Savard on the "Savard-Krejci-Bergeron: keep two" thread.  If Savard goes, I wish it would be the result of one of the high-end centre prospects pushing for his spot.  The Toews idea, though?  That would be bittersweet.  Hard not to love the idea of getting Toews.  And with the bounty of picks Boston has in the next two years, they could afford the 3 or 4 consecutive #1s it probably takes to sign him.

And yeah, of all the stupid things Milbury's done (Yashin for Spezza and Chara?), beating a Rangers fan with a shoe is the only one I appreciate.