Savvy signing makes Thomas's contract look even more puzzling...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

Savvy signing makes Thomas's contract look even more puzzling...

Am i missing something here?

Let me get this straight. Thomas (35 years old) has a couple of good years and his salary jumps about $3mill/year. When questioned about the salary increase, one of the responses from PC was, "His age does not indicate the amount of workload he has had in his career"...Really?

So that means if you do not play in the NHL your body off physical work is not counted?

Thomas has been playing over 12 seasons of Pro-Hockey and the way he plays, exhausting so much energy flopping around makes me question his durability over the next couple of seasons.

Enough of Thomas.

Savvy showed me something here, money does not come first. He is true to his word when he says he loves Boston and wants a Stanley Cup. He was known as an ignorant "me" first player, he has obviously matured into one of the most liked players in the NHL.

Good for Savvy and good for the Bruins. To be honest, i would think Savvy would have been payed around $6mill in the open market.

...What a steal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FairbanksAK. Show FairbanksAK's posts

Re: Savvy signing makes Thomas's contract look even more puzzling...

In Response to Savvy signing makes Thomas's contract look even more puzzling...:
    [QUOTE] To be honest, i would think Savvy would have been payed around $6mill in the open market. ...What a steal.
    Posted by xenimus[/QUOTE]

Not for 7 years he wouldn't. Remember it is a $4.2 CAP HIT. Savard will be making much more then that for the first 3 or 4 years of his contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsking. Show bruinsking's posts

In Response to Savvy signing makes Thomas's contract look even more puzzling...:
    [QUOTE]Am i missing something here? Let me get this straight. Thomas (35 years old) has a couple of good years and his salary jumps about $3mill/year. When questioned about the salary increase, one of the responses from PC was, "His age does not indicate the amount of workload he has had in his career"...Really? So that means if you do not play in the NHL your body off physical work is not counted? Thomas has been playing over 12 seasons of Pro-Hockey and the way he plays, exhausting so much energy flopping around makes me question his durability over the next couple of seasons. Enough of Thomas. Savvy showed me something here, money does not come first. He is true to his word when he says he loves Boston and wants a Stanley Cup. He was known as an ignorant "me" first player, he has obviously matured into one of the most liked players in the NHL. Good for Savvy and good for the Bruins. To be honest, i would think Savvy would have been payed around $6mill in the open market. ...What a steal.
    Posted by xenimus[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsking. Show bruinsking's posts

can anyone quit bashing thomas his contract is half of what savy's is  Great job PC

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

tim thomas is the 13th highest paid goalie in the NHL

he just won the vezina

the contract was structured and delivered before his 35th birthday so we can also buy him out.

This was all by design.

You have to pay vezina winning goalies in this league.. they don't grow in trees.

moron

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SugdenPhlegm. Show SugdenPhlegm's posts

In Response to Re: Savvy signing makes Thomas's contract look even more puzzling...:
    [QUOTE]tim thomas is the 13th highest paid goalie in the NHL he just won the vezina the contract was structured and delivered before his 35th birthday so we can also buy him out. This was all by design. You have to pay vezina winning goalies in this league.. they don't grow in trees. moron
    Posted by Olsonic[/QUOTE]

vezina winning goalies don't grow in trees but thomas always plays like he's falling out of one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

well put sugden.
    also thomas contract is not half of savys, i have to question your math on that one

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikehawkislong69. Show mikehawkislong69's posts

thomas is floopy fool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from The_Usual_softy. Show The_Usual_softy's posts

Ridiculous contract when you think that Rask will probably make Thomas riding the bench next season... Good luck to Chiarelli to trade Floppy

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

Some people are utterly ridiculous.  We finally, for the first time in at least a decade, have a bonafide starting goalie, and what does everyone do?  They cry and complain because they don't like his style.  Sure, he lets up some ugly goals (Yeesh to the tying goal to Ottawa on Sat), but he also makes saves on so many sure-goals (Horton, Alfredsson... just to name a few) that it's a complete wash.  At the end of the day, the guy has been a backbone for this team and deserved the contract he got.

His stats so far this year:  2.36 GAA, 91.5 Sv%, 3 shutouts in 15 games.

All you Thomas bashers can eat it.  And don't give me any BS about Rask.  Thomas is our best chance in goal to win the cup this year - that's how you have to play the game.  Let's wait until there is reason for concern instead of creating one.

Congrats to Savvy on the contract and understanding what taking a hometown discount means to this team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Problembear. Show Problembear's posts

You have to love what passes for a goaltending controversy in Boston these days. 

Oh no! We have last year's Vezina winner!

Oh no! He makes middle of the pack money!

Oh no! We have a potential Calder candidate as his backup!

Oh no! He plays for peanuts!

Oh no! They're both happy in Boston!

Oh no! One has seven wins! The other has three shutouts!

Oh no! They're fourth in goals against!

It's all over!

*facepalm*

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

In Response to Re: Savvy signing makes Thomas's contract look even more puzzling...:
    You have to love what passes for a goaltending controversy in Boston these days.  Oh no! We have last year's Vezina winner! Oh no! He makes middle of the pack money! Oh no! We have a potential Calder candidate as his backup! Oh no! He plays for peanuts! Oh no! They're both happy in Boston! Oh no! One has seven wins! The other has three shutouts! Oh no! They're fourth in goals against! It's all over! *facepalm*
    Posted by Problembear

WOW..

this post is absolutely WIN

great work problem. please stick around

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from The_Usual_softy. Show The_Usual_softy's posts

[QUOTE]Some people are utterly ridiculous.  We finally, for the first time in at least a decade, have a bonafide starting goalie, and what does everyone do?  They cry and complain because they don't like his style.  Sure, he lets up some ugly goals (Yeesh to the tying goal to Ottawa on Sat), but he also makes saves on so many sure-goals (Horton, Alfredsson... just to name a few) that it's a complete wash.  At the end of the day, the guy has been a backbone for this team and deserved the contract he got. His stats so far this year:  2.36 GAA, 91.5 Sv%, 3 shutouts in 15 games. All you Thomas bashers can eat it.  And don't give me any BS about Rask.  Thomas is our best chance in goal to win the cup this year - that's how you have to play the game.  Let's wait until there is reason for concern instead of creating one. Congrats to Savvy on the contract and understanding what taking a hometown discount means to this team.
    Posted by BruinsGM24[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahahaha ( taking a breath ) hahahahahaha... Good joke. Do i have to remind you Paul Martin's goal from the redline or Semin's goal last year in OT? Or Thomas's miscues in Pittsburg or maybe against Ottawa or maybe against Carolina, last year, game 7... Does it ring a bell???. Best chance to win a Cup with a guy who struggle in key situations ! Very good joke, my friend.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krispy73. Show Krispy73's posts

Problembear! SPOT ON! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattytars. Show mattytars's posts

Any money left for a guy like Kovalchuk or perhaps money available to pay all of these #1 picks the Bruins have coming their way due to the trade of Kessel?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Savvy signing makes Thomas's contract look even more puzzling...:[QUOTE] Posted by Problembear[/QUOTE]

And this was your first post Nice job! Get yourself an avatar and a dumb signature like mine your set join the fun n fray!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Possibly the best goaltending duo in the league for just over 6mil a year.

Sorry guys I keep repeating myself on this topic, but goalies are usualy seen as a tandem. Does that not include contracts?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

[QUOTE]tim thomas is the 13th highest paid goalie in the NHL he just won the vezina the contract was structured and delivered before his 35th birthday so we can also buy him out. This was all by design. You have to pay vezina winning goalies in this league.. they don't grow in trees. moron

Sorry Olsonic, but I believe you are mistaken about the buyout.

According to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the age is determined when the contract starts, not when it is signed. According to the CBA, all contracts start on June 30th and expire on June 29th.

Tim Thomas turned 35 on April 24th, after he signed the contract, but before the June 30th deadline. For contract purposes, he's 35.

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2009/4/5/824026/tim-thomas-new-deal-will-be

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2009/7/8/941881/daly-pronger-contract-an-over-35 (about Pronger, but applies to TT as well)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Love TT. He's paid his dues and earned his contract. Love Savvy. He gave up some pay to stay in Boston. We should cheer both these guys and instead we debate how management could have done better?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Savvy signing makes Thomas's contract look even more puzzling...:[QUOTE]Ridiculous contract when you think that Rask will probably make Thomas riding the bench next season... Good luck to Chiarelli to trade FloppyPosted by TheUsualSofty[/QUOTE]

It'll be easy Lot's of teams need a good goalie and again TT is the 13th highest paid goalie not expensive in 2 years. PC won't need luck It'll be the same skill he always has Ask Burke about Rask and those draft pick(s)!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Agreed.

Common sense, it must be a Jersey thing lol

Im in Sparta, Sussex county, you?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I love the guy..