Scoring Woes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Scoring Woes

Two years ago, prior to Kessel coming on and after the big Brad Boyes trade, Boston was one of the most offensively challenged teams I had watched at the NHL level in maybe a decade. This team is showing shades of that all over again. I just remember the team having to try so hard, outworking the other team (like against NJ) and still coming up short while opposing teams seemed to score with ease.

This team has a terrible history of dropping scorers: from Ralson, Guerin, Boyes, Kessel....its unbelievable, really. I'd go as far as to say let Marc Savard walk after this year if it means pulling in a guaranteed natural scorer (Kovalchuk variety).

Goaltending has been average at best and has emphasized Bostons injuries and other early flaws. Should be quite tough to stick around .500 while they wait on Lucic and Savard...they really need someone to step up besides Bergeron.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Re: Scoring Woes

Right, and his name is Marco Sturm.  His game has been constipated so far.  What happened to the guy who scored that way-cool goal to beat the Habs in 2008 playoffs?  What happened to the second fastest skater on the team?  What happened to his quick release and deadly eye?

Sturm seems to be unsure what to do with the puck....out of position...doesn't get shots off and when he does they are lame.  And no goals so far.

We need him to get back to form....soon!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Whoops, sorry Marco...two goals so far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

The problem is that except for truly elite goal scorers, of which their are really only two in the NHL, both Russian and in the Southeast division, most goal scorers are really streaky. And right now, the Bruins have Bergeron who's hot (and not a pure goal scorer), they have chaos in the lines with an elite offensive machine out (Savard) and a missing catalyst and premier space maker out in Lucic. I suspect a lot of the lack of scoring is less room for the forwars because the other team isn't looking over their shoulder making sure #17 isn't coming over the boards or down the ice.

Sobotka will probably lead the Bruins in hits by the time Lucic gets back, but Bergeron, Ryder, and Sturm need to start lowering their shoulders and dropping some fools too. Ryder had over 100 hits last season, he's been good away from the puck and has the second most goals on the team but that's not all he's capable of and he and others are going to have to earn their own elbow room.

In Response to Scoring Woes:
    [QUOTE]Two years ago, prior to Kessel coming on and after the big Brad Boyes trade, Boston was one of the most offensively challenged teams I had watched at the NHL level in maybe a decade. This team is showing shades of that all over again. I just remember the team having to try so hard, outworking the other team (like against NJ) and still coming up short while opposing teams seemed to score with ease. This team has a terrible history of dropping scorers: from Ralson, Guerin, Boyes, Kessel....its unbelievable, really. I'd go as far as to say let Marc Savard walk after this year if it means pulling in a guaranteed natural scorer (Kovalchuk variety). Goaltending has been average at best and has emphasized Bostons injuries and other early flaws. Should be quite tough to stick around .500 while they wait on Lucic and Savard...they really need someone to step up besides Bergeron.
    Posted by dhitch[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

The passing and puck control has not been what it was last year, as well they arent as speedy on the transition this season. Sturm needs to get things going in a big way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

I think the main problem is break outs and blue line penetration. Scoring off the rush has been a major problem for this team and I think the D men need to activate and step up in the play on the rush a little bit more. Those 3-3 rushes that turn into 4-3 rushes lead to shots, and rebounds.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

Right now the Bruins do not have a scorer they can count on and seem to be lacking in the speed department to get the puck up to the forwards to create chances.  Before the trade deadline they will have to find a scorer because the Bruins with the injuries are falling behind and it will get tougher to catch up as the season goes on without scoring. They made a very big mistake not replacing the scoring they lost, they got a D instead which was fine the way it was, but they don't have anyone that is a game breaker. They should try find him now with plenty of time to get him into the mix and get this team moving. Being at .500 is not bad after 11 games but being honest they haven't played like a .500 team and are beating themselves without the scoring they need and are fortunate to be at .500, we need scoring preoid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: Scoring Woes:
    [QUOTE]The problem is that except for truly elite goal scorers, of which their are really only two in the NHL, both Russian and in the Southeast division, most goal scorers are really streaky. And right now, the Bruins have Bergeron who's hot (and not a pure goal scorer), they have chaos in the lines with an elite offensive machine out (Savard) and a missing catalyst and premier space maker out in Lucic. I suspect a lot of the lack of scoring is less room for the forwars because the other team isn't looking over their shoulder making sure #17 isn't coming over the boards or down the ice. Sobotka will probably lead the Bruins in hits by the time Lucic gets back, but Bergeron, Ryder, and Sturm need to start lowering their shoulders and dropping some fools too. Ryder had over 100 hits last season, he's been good away from the puck and has the second most goals on the team but that's not all he's capable of and he and others are going to have to earn their own elbow room. In Response to Scoring Woes :
    Posted by bandgbleeder[/QUOTE]

bangbleeder - good post, although I think you could ad Heatly to that short list.
    Totally agree on the hitting aspect, which is why I was concerned about letting Kobasew go. The 4th line and Sobotka are the only forwards applying any physical pressure, and Chara needs to start getting nasty.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

On another thread, someone pointed out that two of their most experienced goal scorers are notoriously streaky.  Sturm has always been a guy to go on torrid streaks.  Ryder's not quite as hot/cold, but he'll go through bursts of success.  The trick with both has always been finding ways to keep them in the pocket once they get there, and making sure they contribute when the puck isn't going in.  Last year, the hot streak in Nov and Dec was a result of two lines getting hot at the same time.  Ryder was a big part of the Krejci line's hot streak, and when Sturm hits his stride, he can fill the Kessel role in terms of production - at least for a stretch. 

Really, though, the whole team is just off.   Part of it is not forcing turnovers and penalties with physical play, and part of it is that almost everyone is getting used to new roles or new linemates after the injuries.  Every game, especially in the rush, they scrooge nice plays by getting in each other's way - middle lane guy reaches waaay back for a pass that was intended for the far lane trailer and ruins the play, for example.  You have to know where the other guys are going to be.  They've had that chemistry before, so they ought to find it again.  It might mean recreating the Krejci line from last year and writing "Boyes" on the back of Marchand's jersey so Bergeron and Sturm feel at home.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

Can everyone please notice how early in the season it is. I know that if continues they are in trouble, but, remember the cup champs last year were in bad shape most of the season. Having them not playing well right now and not "clicking" to me is a good thing, they will appreciate the sucess when they have it rather than expect it like last year. It's best they get better during the year and roll into the playoffs. No time to pick this team apart, just watch 'till x-mass and then start bytching.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Finishing! The Bruins have had chances but are not making the best of it when the puck is on the tape. Sobotka, Sturm and Recchi especially. I don't know how many times I jumped up thinking (vs. the Devils) that's it GOAL when the fore-mentioned had the puck near the crease.

Even Julien said it after Wednesdays practice certain players are trying to make that extra sweet pass. With the amount of ice time that Ryder, Sturm and Recchi have had they should have more goals PERIOD! Without Savard and Lucic...Kessel and Kobasew would/could not be helping this team.

I get a kick out of the troll responses "if Kessel were here!" Who would be feeding him ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from daPope. Show daPope's posts

Here's what I think.  It isn't Kessel's trek to Toronto.  It isn't Savard being out.  It isn't that Chara isn't playing for beans.  It is the system.  We are playing a trap/get back on defense as soon as a puck heads for the net system that number one is boring and number two keeps any offense that might be lurking in the team under tight control.  Remeber the Boyce/Bergeron breakaway a couple three years back when they both headed for the net and scored on a rebound?  It was on all the highlight reels for weeks.  Don't see that happening now.  It is a bit hard to score a lot of goals when you are lined up on the line waiting for the other team to organize in back of their goal and attack.  CJ left the Devils for a reason.  Last year is as close to a cup as this team will ever get with the GM/coach in place.  They both need to go.  Neely's presence upstairs isn't helping.  Trading away offense isn't helping.  Playing CJ's trap isn't helping.  Outside of that one game I haven't seen good hockey all year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Boston is a team that gets goals off of other teams mistakes. They play essentially a defensive game which could be identified as 'the trap' although it is quite different from the days of Lemaire's Stanley Cup Devil squads. I think a lot of you are correct in thinking that that is a primary reason for the lack of offense. The speed as well, no more fast break goals which Kess used to finish on regularly.

Im hoping they will jump to a more aggressive offense approach once they get the offense back (Lucic and Savard). Sturm and Ryder are pegged and paid as the 'goal-scorers' of this team and one of them needs to start scoring regularly.

I always say the difference between good teams and better teams is secondary scoring. Soo, what happens when you dont get primary scoring...sub.500 hockey.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenderbroccoli. Show tenderbroccoli's posts

offense by you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sculleryjay. Show sculleryjay's posts

wow those are some pretty pathetic stats

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

that is pretty pathetic, but it will only get better. they have a very good line up when it s firing on all cylinders. as long as they stay physical, and stop passing when they have a perfectchance to score. i think this team will suprise us as the season goes on and chirelli will get us a treat around the deadline. p.s. dont forget the picks.

Sections
Shortcuts