Second round TV schedule, am I missing something?!?!?!?!?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Second round TV schedule, am I missing something?!?!?!?!?!

OK, I think Gary Bettemen is the worst thing for the league, and signing a deal with Versus was a terrible idea instead of sticking with ESPN or going elsewhere, but he wanted more money, so.....we're stuck with it on a channel that doesnt even exist up here.  Nobody has it unless you have satellite.  So.....

after checking the NHL.coms site on the second round schedule, it looks like Versus has picked up all the second round games everywhere, except a game here and there, which means what.....a blackout of NESN?  Is the league really going to let that happen?  Is Bettemen so stupid that he is going to allow the local coverage/home channel blacked out in favor of a channel that not everyone can even get?  Is that really happening??????  The Bruins are on their way to the cup and Im not going to see a game from here on out because Versus is picking up games?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Re: Second round TV schedule, am I missing something?!?!?!?!?!

Go to a sports bar.

Leaving your house once in a while is good for your mental health.

EDIT: yeah, NHL cable coverage is brutal. But remember that it was the NHL and the players that decided to B*ch and moan and lock-out for a FULL season. They are all responsible for the terrible coverage of the NHL, not the networks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Thankfully, TSN is picking up 5 of the first 6 games here.......all in HD! Sweet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman99. Show Iceman99's posts

Big Bruin fan living in Calif. this is great I don't get NESN, but I do get Versus HD. Can't wait for the start friday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Well, it looks as if NESN is carrying all games but 2 and 5.....for whatever reason, but the rest are on NESN.  I still dont get the whole Versus thing (blacking out games on NESN in favor of Versus where Versus isnt even available) but that again is a league fu<k up that needs to be corrected.

And oh, olsonic:  I dont have a sportsbar within an hour of me and I have a 16 month old.  Thanks for the advice though.  I guess as long as people think that way and dont show/voice their displeasure with the league, the league will continue to run itself into the ground.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

no bigvig, you've got me all wrong, I agree with you man.

just realize that most people do have a sportsbar 20 minutes from their house. I wasn't being rude and if i came across that way I'm sorry

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Its cool, no prob.  It kinda ticked me off, but people dont realize some of us guys in Maine have to drive an hour on the highway to buy boxers, you know, let alone get to a sportsbar.  My wifes from Mass and her family down there just dont get how people live so far from a mall up here.  Its a hot topic for me too (Versus), so I get carried away about it.  Its all good. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

[QUOTE]Well, it looks as if NESN is carrying all games but 2 and 5.....for whatever reason, but the rest are on NESN.  I still dont get the whole Versus thing (blacking out games on NESN in favor of Versus where Versus isnt even available) but that again is a league fu<k up that needs to be corrected. And oh, olsonic:  I dont have a sportsbar within an hour of me and I have a 16 month old.  Thanks for the advice though.  I guess as long as people think that way and dont show/voice their displeasure with the league, the league will continue to run itself into the ground.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]Anywhere near Moosehead?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

You can try getting the game on the net......

www.channelsurfing.net or atdhe.net

Quality of the broadcast varies, but its better then not watching at all.....IMO.

GO BRUINS!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]drive an hour on the highway to buy boxers, you know, let alone get to a sportsbar. Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

Ok lets everybody pitch in to get bigvig a year supply of Boxers and one of those old school huge satellites (the West Virgina state flower type) that pickes up Everything even NASA stuff! Just playin bro! I'm with you...

I paid for the hockey package and get Versus. Which i'm thinking i'll get all the games filling up my DVR! Wrong!

I live in California but know where near Anaheim nor San Jose! So Versus would list Ducks vs. Sharks games scheduled Nope! Blacked Out! NHL Center Ice package I shelled out money for Nope not there either!

Mike Tirico called Bettman out today on his radio show for this type of BS! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonwise. Show Bostonwise's posts

Olsonic, you are wrong. The players didn't Lock-out -they got Locked out by an ownership-- so greedy they never wanted to show a balance statement to prove any kind of profit margin and would have you believe they were all in business and not making any money. So they got their salary cap and it's gone up every year, because the owners are making so much money. I don't balme the players, you want to make whatever you can get at your job don't ya? I have the hockey package and Vs. and we get CBC in Michigan, so I won't miss a thing. GO Bruins

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

well, thats certainly taking one side bostonwise.

The fact remains, the fans suffered because both sides couldn't work out their differences. The poor national coverage of the games is a perfect example.

As far as who is to blame for the lockout, both sides had good points whether you would like to admit it or not. If the league is going to be sustainable, the owners have to be making enough money for it to be worthwhile. I don't see many players ganging up and buying clubs and paying players "fair value". It is a business in a capitalist country, and unless the players want to form their own league, and pay themselves out of the profit, they need the owners.

Because of this simple fact, it was obvious that the owners had mountains of leverage, and the players neglected that because of their own greed. They wanted a bigger piece of pie than they had rights to. The players also had leverage: If they didn't play, there would be no games, and if there are no games, there is no profit for the owners.

hey, this country has the best labor laws in the world, and i'm all for getting  fair value for your services. Lets just not forget that there was two sides to this because we live in the real world where there is a big difference between being filthy rich like ownership, and ordinarily rich like athletes. Both sides FAILED in understanding leverage, and FAILED MISERABLY in preserving what is in their shared best interest.

What the owners and the players seemed to neglect is that American fans are fickle. This isn't Canada where it is hockey and then curling. If Johnny American's home town hockey team isn't on, he watches baseball, or basketball, or NASCAR, or off-season football, or arena football, or golf.

Not to mention, peoples attention spans aren't what they used to be. Loyal fans are hard to come by these days because there is so much competition for your attention. You spend a year off the television, and people forget you exist. It was difficult to hear about hockey even if you wanted it to, and everytime you did hear a peep it was someone complaining about their million dollar contracts.

I'm sorry, but if you want to charge 80 bucks for lodge seats in a half-empty stadium, try to limit the amount of time you spend fighting over the loot. You might think you are entitled because of the elite group you are in, and there certainly is truth to that, but your fans really could care less and don't wanna hear about it.

Locking out alienated fans, sent attendence plummeting, marketing opportunities were lost and it became difficult for anyone to get news on their favorite teams

Both sides were guilty. Both sides were greedy, and the game suffered

Thankfully, post-lockout, the players and the owners did some great things for the game. The rules changes really made the game better than it was before the strike.

end rant.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Ols you need to go into politics.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If the NHL ever wants to join the rest of the Major League sports , they need to stop alienating the fans they have and start getting new fans interested in the sport.

In the '70's, '80's and '90's you only had to have a UHF antenna , then later on basic cable to enjoy every Bruins game. The league has been run by buffoons for so long, T.V coverage is going in reverse instead of forward.

This is the Stanley Cup playoffs for cryin' out loud. Bruins fans should be able to watch their team on their network (NESN). In the 70's , 80's and 90's we were never blacked out in favor of a 'backwoods network channel" that many cable systems don't include on the list of available channels.

If they keep this strategy they are going to lose more fans to football and baseball , the only two sports that get T.V. coverage right, and they are never, ever going to get new fans.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I completely agree zillagod

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

[QUOTE]If the NHL ever wants to join the rest of the Major League sports , they need to stop alienating the fans they have and start getting new fans interested in the sport. In the '70's, '80's and '90's you only had to have a UHF antenna , then later on basic cable to enjoy every Bruins game. The league has been run by buffoons for so long, T.V coverage is going in reverse instead of forward. This is the Stanley Cup playoffs for cryin' out loud. Bruins fans should be able to watch their team on their network (NESN). In the 70's , 80's and 90's we were never blacked out in favor of a 'backwoods network channel" that many cable systems don't include on the list of available channels. If they keep this strategy they are going to lose more fans to football and baseball , the only two sports that get T.V. coverage right, and they are never, ever going to get new fans.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Well I don't know how it works out there, but here, you can't even be guaranteed the availability of the game if you pay for the game channels by satellite hd.

Our satellite provider (who gets $60 / month so we can see games in HD) is sort of at the mercy of the higher-order provider, who decides which games will be played on any given night. And no, no one can tell you in advance what those will be. Very mickey mouse operation.

So the NHL provides the resources for video recording of games, (step one).

Step 2:
    The games are recorded / captured.  So at this point we've already gone through 2 sets of corporations.

Then they have to be broadcasted. I.e., the signal for the feed that will eventually reach our TVs must be made available, in physical format, to be bouncing off satellites. That is step 3, broadly speaking.

However, the signal can be there & available for viewing but not available on the particular channels we know and love to watch, as per the decisions of those higher-order decision-makers (here, apparently, whether you have a Bell satellite system or another, Rogers decides what gets shown where, and if at all). That is at least step 4.

For now, there's no certainty here, even if you agree to pay an arm & a leg.

Yes the original networks should force the issue but there are so many corps to go through that I wonder what grand set of forces it would take to implement. I suspect that in the end it has to do not with promoting anything in particular but with some set of arbitrary people deciding what they think most people want to see on tv.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skelton42. Show Skelton42's posts

something no one has mentioned yet:  you can go to NHL.com, pay a nice fee, and watch the games online.  (at least you could for the first round, so will assume available option for the rest of the playoffs)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

notrolls:  About one and a half hour northeast, near the Allagash.  We love it, its the woods with a small community, but it has its drawbacks. 

To everyone else:  Im glad to see its not just me, but at the same time Im not glad.  It is an absolute joke that we cant see every game, all year, on NESN.  It makes absolutely no sense, but Bettemen thinks the TV deal with Versus is great, its not hurting the league or alienating the fans.  He thinks fighting, big hits, rivalries, characters and low scoring is doing that so hey, lets get rid of anyone who steps out of line with what they say.  Anyone who puts a legit big hit on a star.  Anyone who is good at and fights a lot and oh yeah, lets implement this stupid shootout to decide games all at the same time jacking seat prices through the roof so the working class cant afford to take their kids to the games anymore.  That will help.  Freakin jerkov.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skelton42. Show Skelton42's posts

Copied this off the Hurricane's website, not sure how the forum will allow the formatting though.  Odd, here in Carolina we don't have anything listed JIP.

May 2009
    DateVisitorHomeScoreDecTime (ET) TV Nat'lLocal (A)Local (H)  
    Fri May 1, 2009 HurricanesBruins   7:30 PM  VERSUS (HD),RIS,TSN (HD)FS-CR (HD)NESN (HD)Preview  
    Sun May 3, 2009 HurricanesBruins   7:30 PM  VERSUS (HD),TSN (HD),RDS (HD)   
    Wed May 6, 2009 BruinsHurricanes   7:30 PM  VERSUS (HD),RIS,TSN (HD)NESN (HD)FS-CR (HD)Tickets
    Fri May 8, 2009 BruinsHurricanes   7:30 PM  VERSUS (HD),RIS,TSN (HD)NESN (HD)FS-CR (HD)Tickets
    Sun May 10, 2009 HurricanesBruins   7:30 PM  VERSUS (HD),TSN (HD),RDS (HD)   
    Tue May 12, 2009 BruinsHurricanes   7:00 PM  VERSUS (HD),TSN (HD),RDS (HD)NESN (HD)FS-CRTickets
    Thu May 14, 2009 HurricanesBruins   TBD  RIS,TSN (HD)FS-CRNESN (HD)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Thanks for that skelton

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

[QUOTE]Its cool, no prob.  It kinda ticked me off, but people dont realize some of us guys in Maine have to drive an hour on the highway to buy boxers, you know, let alone get to a sportsbar.  My wifes from Mass and her family down there just dont get how people live so far from a mall up here.  Its a hot topic for me too (Versus), so I get carried away about it.  Its all good. 
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

BigVig....  Try justintv.com  for  sports on the internet for FREE.  Quality isnt the best,  but free. 

Good Luck.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I have a co-worker with a VCR who is going to tape game 2 for me. He lives in another area that gets VERSUS on their cable.

I won't be able to watch it until Monday night, but at least I will be able to see game 2 before game 3.

I'll worry about game 5 , later.

Half a loaf is better than none, I guess.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from acious. Show acious's posts

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous, I don't know how they plan on growing their fanbase, or keeping the existing one, if people cannot watch the games.  Luckily I have the channel in HD through comcast, but not everyone has that option.  Dumb greedy businessmen.

Anywho, you can try downloading the game through torrents...check out http://ezsports.it/ sometime tomorrow or maybe mininova or another torrent site.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Verizon FIOS offers it as part of their basic package and their HD package.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmikebruins8. Show mrmikebruins8's posts

and to boot out of the 2 games on any giving night we as hockey fans can only see 1 game and hockey got it own channel and dont put thier sport on it