SEGUIN VS KESSEL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Re: SEGUIN VS KESSEL

The trade for picks was brutal for the B's at the time, because Kess was not replaced, he has now been replaced not by Seg but by Hort, which if it had happened last year, I for one would not have been upset that K went for nothing at the time.

Saying Kes is not a player is just plain stupidity, he battles back from cancer and injury and all any one can say is he didn't spend 1000 hours in the weight room. He gets the benefit of the tape as I don't see him at 6' or 200lb, but he is not that type of player and who cares if he is not the next Hulkster.

What he did...
     last year, started on a team that was 1-7-4 (prorates to 41 points & a 1st pick instead of 2nd) before he played and the dregs of the barrel, when he played they were almost a respectable 500 at 29-31-10

What he did...
    Scored 30 goals on a team of nothings that had been stripped from itself all season long.

What he did...
    He actually set his career assists record by 1 on a team that had him as 30 G scorer and 1 other that had 20.

He scored 8PP goals which would have tied for the lead with Boston, he scored 5 GW which would have lead in B, he also scored a Gw in OT plus he scored 3G in 3 of their 4 Shoot Out wins, he is a keeper and to try to downgrade him is just laughable. He will score goals into the years to come and more power to him.

Did we miss him last year - Holy f###%$% yes we did, will we miss him this year, we better not.  Once again, what made me irate last year and still does is that Pc took a guy that scored 42 G in 81games including the playoffs and did not replace him.  This year we will have Horton a top line winger to replace him plus a great pick that at the time noone realistically could have forseen being a #1/2 pick.

We lucked out in Seg and he will be a star in this league and will vie for the Rookie of the year and we will eventually be the winners in the trade but no way did we fleece the Leafs.  They will still have a 40G scorer that could have pushed us to the cup last year as 7 more goals would def not have hurt us.

Did I want to see Kess go----NOOOOOOO, not without a replacement.

Do I care that he is gone now----NOOOOOOOO
                                              We have his replacement and a couple of potential stars in the wings to sweeten the deal, both teams have potentially come away winners but our players have yet to play an actual NHL scrimmage let alone a game.  Hall was the big hype this time last year and Seg battled him every step of the way and will continue to do so.

Kess like Hall got an extra year of hockey before being drafted because of their birthdates, I hope that Seg blows away both their rookie years.

Seg will not be on the 4th line and get 6 mins like Fat Burns gave to Joe, he will get 15mins or more under Cj's roll 4 attitude which will be to the benefit of Seg and give him a shot at the Rook and let him earn PP and PK time. He has the skill, speed and talent, let him use it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: SEGUIN VS KESSEL:
    [QUOTE]The trade for picks was brutal for the B's at the time, because Kess was not replaced, he has now been replaced not by Seg but by Hort, which if it had happened last year, I for one would not have been upset that K went for nothing at the time. Saying Kes is not a player is just plain stupidity, he battles back from cancer and injury and all any one can say is he didn't spend 1000 hours in the weight room. He gets the benefit of the tape as I don't see him at 6' or 200lb, but he is not that type of player and who cares if he is not the next Hulkster. What he did...  last year, started on a team that was 1-7-4 (prorates to 41 points & a 1st pick instead of 2nd) before he played and the dregs of the barrel, when he played they were almost a respectable 500 at 29-31-10 What he did... Scored 30 goals on a team of nothings that had been stripped from itself all season long. What he did... He actually set his career assists record by 1 on a team that had him as 30 G scorer and 1 other that had 20. He scored 8PP goals which would have tied for the lead with Boston, he scored 5 GW which would have lead in B, he also scored a Gw in OT plus he scored 3G in 3 of their 4 Shoot Out wins, he is a keeper and to try to downgrade him is just laughable. He will score goals into the years to come and more power to him. Did we miss him last year - Holy f###%$% yes we did, will we miss him this year, we better not.  Once again, what made me irate last year and still does is that Pc took a guy that scored 42 G in 81games including the playoffs and did not replace him.  This year we will have Horton a top line winger to replace him plus a great pick that at the time noone realistically could have forseen being a #1/2 pick. We lucked out in Seg and he will be a star in this league and will vie for the Rookie of the year and we will eventually be the winners in the trade but no way did we fleece the Leafs.  They will still have a 40G scorer that could have pushed us to the cup last year as 7 more goals would def not have hurt us. Did I want to see Kess go----NOOOOOOO, not without a replacement. Do I care that he is gone now----NOOOOOOOO                                           We have his replacement and a couple of potential stars in the wings to sweeten the deal, both teams have potentially come away winners but our players have yet to play an actual NHL scrimmage let alone a game.  Hall was the big hype this time last year and Seg battled him every step of the way and will continue to do so. Kess like Hall got an extra year of hockey before being drafted because of their birthdates, I hope that Seg blows away both their rookie years. Seg will not be on the 4th line and get 6 mins like Fat Burns gave to Joe, he will get 15mins or more under Cj's roll 4 attitude which will be to the benefit of Seg and give him a shot at the Rook and let him earn PP and PK time. He has the skill, speed and talent, let him use it.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

Well thought, objective post.  If fans could only look at the whole Kessel saga "reasonably",.....maybe we could put things to rest.
    Good job goat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

//Did we miss him last year - Holy f###%$% yes we did, will we miss him this year, we better not.  Once again, what made me irate last year and still does is that Pc took a guy that scored 42 G in 81games including the playoffs and did not replace him.//

To be fair, the Bruins led the league the previous year in 20+ goal scorers. Just about everyone in the preseason this past year - fans, media (check out the preseason predictions), PC - thought the Bruins could make up for Kessel's absense, especially with the return to health of Bergeron and Sturm. What they didn't foresee was the horrible toll taken by injuries (too many to list) and the consequent points dropoff (losing Savard alone was a killer, especially on the PP) and the fact that a 30-goal scorer (Ryder) suffered a hideous season-long slump.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

duinne - as true as that is, we're all idiots for thinking that.  Injuries are a fact of life in pro sports; banking on good health making up for the loss of a player is probably a mistake.  Maybe idiots is too strong - let's just say it was probably a bit too optimistic, and the circumstances proved a bit too extreme.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]duinne - as true as that is, we're all idiots for thinking that.  Injuries are a fact of life in pro sports; banking on good health making up for the loss of a player is probably a mistake.  Maybe idiots is too strong - let's just say it was probably a bit too optimistic, and the circumstances proved a bit too extreme.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

The circumstances were indeed extreme. Of course everyone expects injuries, but last year was catastrophic - akin to the Red Sox's injury-plagued season this year. Everyone can deal with a few players missing time here and there, or even a horrible injury to one or two key players. But the sheer volume, and the personnel who were lost/hobbled, was ridiculous. 

Even so, they overcame and made it into the playoffs, but it seems horribly appropriate that they were finally derailed at last when they lost their final linchpin - Krejci.  

But it's not just the Bruins, of course. How many other sports teams (not just hockey) have had ambitions derailed by injuries? It would make an interesting study; narrow the parameters and just examine the Stanley Cup playoffs over a certain span of time and see the effect injuries have had.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Holy $*hit - Sometimes it's amazing to read the amount of nonsense on this board

First off- Props to Bookboy for getting the term obtuse in a post

Here's the mindset for many on this board

We trade Kessel...so then here comes the propaganda

Kessel was a bad guy- he didn't help Toronto - he wanted out of Boston
    He's not worth 5 mill, but Bergeron is worth almost 6, and Ryder gets 4
    no work ethic- Burke is a moron, Chiarelli is a genius...blah,blah,blah
    The Bruins don't win because of injuries and slumps
    Seguin who hasn't played an NHL game yet is the next Steveie Y.

This needs like 3 years to give an honest evaluation

I'm pretty sure Philly lost a goaltender, and Carter...no excuses needed there
    it's called talent and coaching

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco1001. Show marco1001's posts

The reality is this trade will be very difficult if not impossible to evaluate.

scenario 1- if seguin becomes a bust then horrible trade for bruins, i will not even consider 2011 number 1 , way too far away.

scenario2- Seguin becomes a 100point guy scoring 40 or so in 3 yrs- well where would we have been with keseel for the past 3 of those years. personally a serious cup contender.

scenario3 - seguin becomes a 20 -25 gs with 50 assists, once again bruins lose out.

there are certainly many other scenarios but this is a general view,

My feeling is that Seguin will be a franchise player for the most part however there is a small concern that he will not pan out, i do not have that concern at least not to the same degree with Hall.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]The reality is this trade will be very difficult if not impossible to evaluate. scenario 1- if seguin becomes a bust then horrible trade for bruins, i will not even consider 2011 number 1 , way too far away. scenario2- Seguin becomes a 100point guy scoring 40 or so in 3 yrs- well where would we have been with keseel for the past 3 of those years. personally a serious cup contender. scenario3 - seguin becomes a 20 -25 gs with 50 assists, once again bruins lose out. there are certainly many other scenarios but this is a general view, My feeling is that Seguin will be a franchise player for the most part however there is a small concern that he will not pan out, i do not have that concern at least not to the same degree with Hall.
    Posted by marco1001[/QUOTE]

so wait, your not a kessel fan at all.. if he scores 40g and I will assume 60a, we don't win because kessel could have been better in those 3 years?

and he becomes a 20-25g 75point center, we still lose the trade?? based on your assumption that kessel will be scoring 40G? and 75pts?

if seguin is the better player in 3 years and the bruins can keep him along with any of the other peices added, thats a win for the bruins..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Also no value to next years pick? if this years and next years pick turn out to have the impact on the franchise of say.. Kane/Toews, or crosby/Malkin, you know players that were taken in back to back years very high picks.. how can you not take that into account?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]The reality is this trade will be very difficult if not impossible to evaluate. scenario 1- if seguin becomes a bust then horrible trade for bruins, i will not even consider 2011 number 1 , way too far away. scenario2- Seguin becomes a 100point guy scoring 40 or so in 3 yrs- well where would we have been with keseel for the past 3 of those years. personally a serious cup contender. scenario3 - seguin becomes a 20 -25 gs with 50 assists, once again bruins lose out. there are certainly many other scenarios but this is a general view, My feeling is that Seguin will be a franchise player for the most part however there is a small concern that he will not pan out, i do not have that concern at least not to the same degree with Hall.

I like how none of these scenarios have anything to do with a) Kessel's performance; b)the other draft picks - Jared Knight and a #1 in 2011; c) the $5 million salary that Kessel was demanding; d) the othe roster players that were signed by the B's with what would have been Kessel money; and e) how Kessel fit in on the Bruins roster. 

Each of these factors are absolutely critical to the deal. Is marco1001 another screen name for hockey 101?  They seem to be following the same logic(?).  This seems like another distorted attempt to pretend the Kessel deal is bad for the Bruins when every logical analysis points the other way.

And can we stop saying "we won't truly know until the future".  Of course not -- everybody is aware of that.  We can only argue based on what we see now. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Holy $*hit - Sometimes it's amazing to read the amount of nonsense on this board First off- Props to Bookboy for getting the term obtuse in a post Here's the mindset for many on this board We trade Kessel...so then here comes the propaganda Kessel was a bad guy- he didn't help Toronto - he wanted out of Boston He's not worth 5 mill, but Bergeron is worth almost 6, and Ryder gets 4 no work ethic- Burke is a moron, Chiarelli is a genius...blah,blah,blah The Bruins don't win because of injuries and slumps Seguin who hasn't played an NHL game yet is the next Steveie Y. This needs like 3 years to give an honest evaluation I'm pretty sure Philly lost a goaltender, and Carter...no excuses needed there it's called talent and coaching
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

This needs like 3 years to give an honest evaluation
    Why 3 years?   What's so magic about 3 years?
    I haven't, and I don't recall anyone saying he is the next Stevie Y, for the most part I've seen that people have evaluated the player Kessel is now, and the player Seguin is now.

For an 'honest' appraisal of Kessel, how about the Leaf boards?  Or are those people not guilty of viewing the world through blue and white glasses as we are of drinking the koolaid and looking though our black and gold glasses?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SEGUIN VS KESSEL : I like how none of these scenarios have anything to do with a) Kessel's performance; b)the other draft picks - Jared Knight and a #1 in 2011; c) the $5 million salary that Kessel was demanding; d) the othe roster players that were signed by the B's with what would have been Kessel money; and e) how Kessel fit in on the Bruins roster.  Each of these factors are absolutely critical to the deal. Is marco1001 another screen name for hockey 101?  They seem to be following the same logic(?).  This seems like another distorted attempt to pretend the Kessel deal is bad for the Bruins when every logical analysis points the other way. And can we stop saying "we won't truly know until the future".  Of course not -- everybody is aware of that.  We can only argue based on what we see now. 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I've gone at it tooth and nail about kessel with marco about 10k times, hockey101 doesn't sound  the same to me.

it is funny however, that at the end of the day the Kesselites and I agree with each other about exactly what type of player Kessel is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco1001. Show marco1001's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SEGUIN VS KESSEL : I like how none of these scenarios have anything to do with a) Kessel's performance; b)the other draft picks - Jared Knight and a #1 in 2011; c) the $5 million salary that Kessel was demanding; d) the othe roster players that were signed by the B's with what would have been Kessel money; and e) how Kessel fit in on the Bruins roster.  Each of these factors are absolutely critical to the deal. Is marco1001 another screen name for hockey 101?  They seem to be following the same logic(?).  This seems like another distorted attempt to pretend the Kessel deal is bad for the Bruins when every logical analysis points the other way. And can we stop saying "we won't truly know until the future".  Of course not -- everybody is aware of that.  We can only argue based on what we see now. 

no. i am not hockey 101, i am the guy who at almost the same time last year said not sturm or ryder would NOT  replace kessel. i am also the the one who said byron s.h.i.t.z. would not even come close to scoring 20 let alone replace kessel as some outright said. i also had mentioned that kess would not miss sav certainly not the way some confidently felt he would.Now would u not say that was not only logical but factual?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco1001. Show marco1001's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SEGUIN VS KESSEL : I've gone at it tooth and nail about kessel with marco about 10k times, hockey101 doesn't sound  the same to me. it is funny however, that at the end of the day the Kesselites and I agree with each other about exactly what type of player Kessel is.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

"kesselite" what exactly doe sthat mean. u really think that i even would speak
    about him if he had not been a bruin. for the 10k time it is not what kess does elsewhere it is what he did in boston and what he would have done. with the players here in boston he was a perfect fit. As for Seguin i always said he may take up to 3 yrs to develop, where would the bruins be with kess during that period. u goota aamit a real nice nucleus.  as their motto said and was quickly abolished "we want it now"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SEGUIN VS KESSEL : no. i am not hockey 101, i am the guy who at almost the same time last year said not sturm or ryder would NOT  replace kessel. i am also the the one who said byron s.h.i.t.z. would not even come close to scoring 20 let alone replace kessel as some outright said. i also had mentioned that kess would not miss sav certainly not the way some confidently felt he would.Now would u not say that was not only logical but factual?

Apologies then, and nice predictions.  I guess it is just your scenarios on the Kessel deal that don't make sense to me.

Predictions, by definition, are not factual, even if they come true.  How logical they are would depend on your reasoning behind the predictions.  For the reasons mentioned above, I did not find your reasoning on the Kessel deal to be very logical, but they could still be accurate some day, I guess.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco1001. Show marco1001's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SEGUIN VS KESSEL : Apologies then, and nice predictions.  I guess it is just your scenarios on the Kessel deal that don't make sense to me. Predictions, by definition, are not factual, even if they come true.  How logical they are would depend on your reasoning behind the predictions.  For the reasons mentioned above, I did not find your reasoning on the Kessel deal to be very logical, but they could still be accurate some day, I guess.

Fletcher, i hope that Seguin becomes a premiere farnchise player and would love it if he did this as soon as next year. he would certainly for me anyway make me forget kess and the "what could have been question"
    i wil not deny as i said that i am very much aniticipating seguin in the big leagues. I think this kid has some serious potential and i would not be surprised that long term ( 3yrs) he does become a stevie y type player i just hope that the bruins will be  a cup contender by then.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

FYI   Dont play those name games like some on this board.Last summer remember my KESSEL OR RYDER ? Ryder got a free pass because he was Juliens Montreal boy.They did not replace Kessel because in Juliens mind they already had a scorer named Ryder.The day Julien drove to Canada to get him 4 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR,Kessels days were numbered in Boston.End of story

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]                       FYI   Dont play those name games like some on this board.Last summer remember my KESSEL OR RYDER ? Ryder got a free pass because he was Juliens Montreal boy.They did not replace Kessel because in Juliens mind they already had a scorer named Ryder.The day Julien drove to Canada to get him 4 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR,Kessels days were numbered in Boston.End of story
    Posted by hockey-101[/QUOTE]

You should keep in mind  kessel was reportedly offered very similar if not more money then ryder, after a very statistically similar year, while still an RFA.. If that is all true, the offer is more then fair.  It sounds like ryans deal will come in some where similar to kessels and he is a much better player..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco1001. Show marco1001's posts

[QUOTE]                       FYI   Dont play those name games like some on this board.Last summer remember my KESSEL OR RYDER ? Ryder got a free pass because he was Juliens Montreal boy.They did not replace Kessel because in Juliens mind they already had a scorer named Ryder.The day Julien drove to Canada to get him 4 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR,Kessels days were numbered in Boston.End of story
    Posted by hockey-101[/QUOTE]

Yip, and now everyone wants Julien's boy outta town. what  a difference a year makes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Lol!  There's a fun game.  What event meant that Kessel's days as a Bruin were numbered:

1. Kessel was drafted 5th overall after being, at one point, the presumptive first overall pick.
    2. David Krejci out-points him playing on the second line and shows signs of being a more important player for the future of the franchise.
    3. David Krejci signs a $3.75M/year deal.
    4. Kessel's agent solicits offers from other teams for his RFA client and learns that there are teams who would pay him more than the Bruins, but not if they have to pay the draft-pick freight.
    5. Bruins sign Ryder to be the team's 1st line RW.
    6. Kessel does his imitation of one of the lost boys from Peter Pan riding a luggage trolley down a hotel hallway and squealing like a girl.
    7. "Weight room's that way, Phil."
    8. Bruins hire Claude Julien as head coach.
    9. Brian Burke wakes up in a cold sweat and realizes how bad the Leafs' forwards are.
    10. Brian Burke gives up two draft picks to reacquire the pick he needs to threaten Chiarelli with an RFA offer sheet.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Guys, I don't think anyone here is defending Ryder (awful contract) or suggesting that he should have filled Kessel's shoes.  Everybody knew the Bruins would be losing a scoring dynamic when Kessel went to Toronto.  But, I watch every game and to these eyes Kessel was never worth more than 3 mil a year to the Bruins.  His skill was great, but he was the king of the meaningless goals in meaningless games, and he showed very little desire to get better or play defense.

So when he demanded 5 mil a year, I knew he had to go.  I was ecstatic to get so much back with the draft picks, and with the cap space available to sign other players (unlike a deal for Kaberle).  When the 1st pick turned into Hall or Seguin, everyone including Burke knew that Toronto had given too much up.

I think Chia has made plenty of bad moves, but this one was a beauty.  Best deal of the Chia era.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

BB,
    I have thought about your #4 a couple times.. Is that not the exact definition of player tampering?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Nope, not when he's an RFA.  Prior to July 1, yep, but once the player is an RFA, the agent can solicit/develop offers freely.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Nope, not when he's an RFA.  Prior to July 1, yep, but once the player is an RFA, the agent can solicit/develop offers freely.

Ah,
    I never thought of it that way, I was just assuming once QO's went out the player was "spoken for" I was wondering lately how we knew the details of the kessel deal long before the trade was finalized...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]Lol!  There's a fun game.  What event meant that Kessel's days as a Bruin were numbered: 1. Kessel was drafted 5th overall after being, at one point, the presumptive first overall pick. 2. David Krejci out-points him playing on the second line and shows signs of being a more important player for the future of the franchise. 3. David Krejci signs a $3.75M/year deal. 4. Kessel's agent solicits offers from other teams for his RFA client and learns that there are teams who would pay him more than the Bruins, but not if they have to pay the draft-pick freight. 5. Bruins sign Ryder to be the team's 1st line RW. 6. Kessel does his imitation of one of the lost boys from Peter Pan riding a luggage trolley down a hotel hallway and squealing like a girl. 7. "Weight room's that way, Phil." 8. Bruins hire Claude Julien as head coach. 9. Brian Burke wakes up in a cold sweat and realizes how bad the Leafs' forwards are. 10. Brian Burke gives up two draft picks to reacquire the pick he needs to threaten Chiarelli with an RFA offer sheet.

Another great post !

Answer ... #8 - followed closely by # 7

Sections
Shortcuts