SEGUIN VS KESSEL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: SEGUIN VS KESSEL

In Response to Re: SEGUIN VS KESSEL:
    [QUOTE]Lol!  There's a fun game.  What event meant that Kessel's days as a Bruin were numbered: 1. Kessel was drafted 5th overall after being, at one point, the presumptive first overall pick. 2. David Krejci out-points him playing on the second line and shows signs of being a more important player for the future of the franchise. 3. David Krejci signs a $3.75M/year deal. 4. Kessel's agent solicits offers from other teams for his RFA client and learns that there are teams who would pay him more than the Bruins, but not if they have to pay the draft-pick freight. 5. Bruins sign Ryder to be the team's 1st line RW. 6. Kessel does his imitation of one of the lost boys from Peter Pan riding a luggage trolley down a hotel hallway and squealing like a girl. 7. "Weight room's that way, Phil." 8. Bruins hire Claude Julien as head coach. 9. Brian Burke wakes up in a cold sweat and realizes how bad the Leafs' forwards are. 10. Brian Burke gives up two draft picks to reacquire the pick he needs to threaten Chiarelli with an RFA offer sheet.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

11. $$$

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, I don't think anyone here is defending Ryder (awful contract) or suggesting that he should have filled Kessel's shoes.  Everybody knew the Bruins would be losing a scoring dynamic when Kessel went to Toronto.  But, I watch every game and to these eyes Kessel was never worth more than 3 mil a year to the Bruins.  His skill was great, but he was the king of the meaningless goals in meaningless games, and he showed very little desire to get better or play defense. So when he demanded 5 mil a year, I knew he had to go.  I was ecstatic to get so much back with the draft picks, and with the cap space available to sign other players (unlike a deal for Kaberle).  When the 1st pick turned into Hall or Seguin, everyone including Burke knew that Toronto had given too much up. I think Chia has made plenty of bad moves, but this one was a beauty.  Best deal of the Chia era.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I don't think Kessel ever "demanded" $5+ million per year, but once he got the offer, it was impossible to resist. He wasn't the type to take a cap-friendly deal to stay in Boston (as Krejci and Rask did), which is fine. He got what's important to him - a huge salary on a bottom-feeder team. And Chiarelli got a great return for him. Everybody should be happy. I know I was the moment I saw Tyler Seguin during a scrimmage at development camp pick up his man on defense and steer him out of the slot with the skill of someone who's accustomed to playing all three zones with equal intensity.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Lol!  There's a fun game.  What event meant that Kessel's days as a Bruin were numbered: 1. Kessel was drafted 5th overall after being, at one point, the presumptive first overall pick. 2. David Krejci out-points him playing on the second line and shows signs of being a more important player for the future of the franchise. 3. David Krejci signs a $3.75M/year deal. 4. Kessel's agent solicits offers from other teams for his RFA client and learns that there are teams who would pay him more than the Bruins, but not if they have to pay the draft-pick freight. 5. Bruins sign Ryder to be the team's 1st line RW. 6. Kessel does his imitation of one of the lost boys from Peter Pan riding a luggage trolley down a hotel hallway and squealing like a girl. 7. "Weight room's that way, Phil." 8. Bruins hire Claude Julien as head coach. 9. Brian Burke wakes up in a cold sweat and realizes how bad the Leafs' forwards are. 10. Brian Burke gives up two draft picks to reacquire the pick he needs to threaten Chiarelli with an RFA offer sheet.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

#7 was the last coffin nail  for me.
    For the first coffin nail, initially I kept saying he had a Rick Middleton potential, but I wasn't sure.  It really bothered me that benching him in the playoffs v. the Habs lit the fire under his behind to get him going.  Totally unprofessional of him, he should have been ready and not forced to be ready.
    How about