Seidenberg re-signs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Seidenberg re-signs

Got a couple of tweets this morning saying Seidenberg has re-upped for 4 more years.  Details to follow.

NaokoFunayama "Bruins sign Dennis Seidenberg to 4-year deal."

NHLBruins "Breaking news: The B's have signed defenseman Dennis Seidenberg to a four-year contract extension. Details to follow.^BISH"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Re: Seidenberg also gets a new deal

I like it!!! :-) Good talent and team guy! In Charelli we trust....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Re: Seidenberg re-signs

very good news!!!!!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Happy to hear Seidenberg is coming back.  Let's see what the terms are before start praising PC.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Details please!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

3 signed past 3 days finally chia being active....45-55 next?  chara-seinds  wideman-boychuck  stuy-ference  good 6 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

DarrenDreger Bruins sign Dennis Seidenberg. 4 years, $3.25 per year. $13 million total.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shawnjararita. Show shawnjararita's posts

TSN says 4 years, 13 million.  This is a good day for Bruins fans.  Even if they don't know it yet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Seems like a very good cap hit ($3.25 million at 4years).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

As I said before...to all the big baby nay sayers....a good signing...did not over pay... :-)
    I am growing weary of the negativity...can't we celebrate anything? You remind me of my mother...one Christmas she gave me two sweaters, when I put one on she asked me "why are you wearing that one"? "don't you like the other one"? OMG :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from east-westBsfan. Show east-westBsfan's posts

A great signing!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Before I see the terms of the deal, I want to offer a point of view:

A lot of people went crazy over the play of this guy.  If you can try to view his play without your Bruins glasses on, you'd be surprised at his value.

In 2008, he was traded for Kevyn Adams.  That summer, he signed a one year deal for $1.2M.

Last season he sat around until September and finally signed another one year deal for $2.75M.  He was traded with space holders for Byron Bitz (ugh) and a second round pick.  The second round pick wasn't even Toronto's, but Tampa's.

Two one-year deals.  Traded for a below average returns in his two recent moves.

Seems to me like Chiarelli will start at $4M/yr for 4 years and negotiate higher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

nice great news ,,but who goes?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Seidenberg re-signs:
    As I said before...to all the big baby nay sayers....a good signing...did not over pay... :-) I am growing weary of the negativity...can't we celebrate anything? You remind me of my mother...one Christmas she gave me two sweaters, when I put one on she asked me "why are you wearing that one"? "don't you like the other one"? OMG :-)
    Posted by TomOBrien

I don't know...  First, I LOVE this signing.  It's a bargain.  I saw reports that he could get near 5 mil out on the FA market.  I am really really happy about this.  I'm only a little worried about the injury to the tendon and any possible long term effect.  Only 1% worried, but overall very very very happy.  Like winning a new truck that has 1 dent you can't possibly complain about it.  Awesome.  Really good player at a great price.

At the same time I'm a little frustrated with the Ference and Thornton signings.  If this was what was done with Seidenberg, then Ference should not have gotten a raise at all and Thornton a 100k raise at most.

Glad that Seidenberg is taking the deal.  Hopefully there is something more than money going on where we will get more good deals.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

While four years is about twice as long as I would have seen, the money isn't bad.  Nice to see things getting done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Before I see the terms of the deal, I want to offer a point of view: A lot of people went crazy over the play of this guy.  If you can try to view his play without your Bruins glasses on, you'd be surprised at his value. In 2008, he was traded for Kevyn Adams.  That summer, he signed a one year deal for $1.2M. Last season he sat around until September and finally signed another one year deal for $2.75M.  He was traded with space holders for Byron Bitz (ugh) and a second round pick.  The second round pick wasn't even Toronto's, but Tampa's. Two one-year deals.  Traded for a below average returns in his two recent moves. Seems to me like Chiarelli will start at $4M/yr for 4 years and negotiate higher.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

True, but he did move up on the radar for a lot of teams, and like I said earlier I know I read somewhere that he could go up to 5 mil, so 3.25 for 4 years you can't complain about that. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

nice great news ,,but who goes?
    Posted by bruinsfan084evr

That's a great question.  Someone is not going to be here next year.

Chara:  yes

Seidenberg:  yes

Ference:  yes (sad but true)

Hunwick:  24 years old, flashes of good play, flashes of bad, one year left on cheap cap hit

Stuart:  RFA,

Boychuk:  UFA IV (no compensatoin in return)  difficult to keep, difficult to lose

Wideman:  poor season following a better than expected one, heavy contract

I have no idea what they'll do, but someone has to go.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

bruinsfan and not-a-shot, that was my first thought when I saw the Seidenberg's new cap hit. I'm almost certain somebody's getting moved, but I think Boychuk is going to stay. He showed what he can do in the playoffs, and he should be cheap enough to keep. What I think Chiarelli is going to do is to gage the trade market and see which of his defenseman holds the greatest amount of trade value, while holding the smallest damage to the defense should he depart. That's probably not certain just yet, but I'm guessing Chiarelli will do his best to make it clear before the draft. I think he'll use whichever defenseman he wants to move as trade bait to move up in the draft.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

The other good news about this signing, in addition to it's terms, is that we know that Seidenberg fits in with the Bruins.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Wow...great signing...really pumped.  I think the real question now is Stuart or Boychuck?  If we are looking for a trade Stuart might have become one of our chips.  Who knows....Boychuck might steal a solid contract from some desperate team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

agreed...who moves?  I doubt it will be Ference or Wideman due to $$, but you never know. beauty is in the eyes...where are the likely destinations for one of these d-men?
    bruinsfan and not-a-shot, that was my first thought when I saw the Seidenberg's new cap hit. I'm almost certain somebody's getting moved, but I think Boychuk is going to stay. He showed what he can do in the playoffs, and he should be cheap enough to keep. What I think Chiarelli is going to do is to gage the trade market and see which of his defenseman holds the greatest amount of trade value, while holding the smallest damage to the defense should he depart. That's probably not certain just yet, but I'm guessing Chiarelli will do his best to make it clear before the draft. I think he'll use whichever defenseman he wants to move as trade bait to move up in the draft.
    Posted by joeschmo25

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I like the terms, pretty good value for a guy that looked comfortable playing in the top-pair with Z last year.  Not sure how Seidenberg gets a smaller %raise than Ference or Thornton, seeing how he actually had his best year as a pro, a little ironic I guess.  I like the duration as well, locking up a 28 year-old for the next 4 years is smart. Good job by PC on this one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

agreed...who moves?  I doubt it will be Ference or Wideman due to $$, but you never know. beauty is in the eyes...where are the likely destinations for one of these d-men? In Response to Re: Seidenberg re-signs :
    Posted by TomOBrien

It's very rare for a guy to sign a long term deal and get traded right after, so I don't think Ference is on the list.

Stuart, Boychuk, Wideman, Hunwick

Of those players, I hope it is Hunwick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

I could see Wideman being moved in an attempt to move up from the 15th spot. Columbus is looking for a puck moving defenseman, and Wideman could fit the bill. If we made an offer of the Wideman, the 15th overall and the 45th for the 4th overall, then Columbus may be inclined to take the offer. He could possibly add Wheeler into the mix if that's what it took to get it done. Yes Wheeler has a lot of potential but he could be the piece that moves us up, and he would clear some cap to resign Stuart and Boychuk and some room for the top pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I really hope that Hunwick is the odd man out now. I firmly believe you need Boychuks and Stuarts to win in this league. 

I also think Wideman has a very important role to play on this team, particularly if the D is deep enough to have Chara-Seidenberg-Stuart-Boychuk. Wideman need not be the number 2 guy (something he has been asked to do in years past) but can still be effective anywhere in our D-rotation as a puck-mover, which he was great at in the playoffs.

Again, hope Hunwick is the one to go. He may also have quite high trade value since he is young, cheap, and coming off a strong playoff.

Sections
Shortcuts