Send a message on Mar 18

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anacanapana. Show anacanapana's posts

Send a message on Mar 18

to the rest of the NHL - the Bruins WILL NOT allow this. First Bergeron and now Savard.

But the correct message isn't to take on Cooke. The correct message is that someone needs to drop Crosby. Someone just run at him in the opening minute and hit him while he's facing you  - nothing from behind. Just do it!

And don't give me "The Code." The code is broken; it doesn't work. If Thornton fights Cooke, what good does that do? The message must read that hits on our skill players will earn you hits to your skill players by our tough guys (if any can be found on this squad).

Game misconducts, suspensions, I don't care if they have to bring up the whole Providence Bs team to finish the season. 

Never thought I'd live to see the day when the Boston Bruins are seen as one of the softest teams in hockey. Buy 'em all skirts while I go vomit!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anacanapana. Show anacanapana's posts

Re: Send a message on Mar 18

In Response to Re: Send a message on Mar 18:
    to intentionally hurt a player would not be right. We should hit crosby if its legal and we are in the right position everytime we play him. but lets face it no one is afraid of us. We are a very passive team. But what we could do if the supension is not a good hard send a message one is not go to the game even us season ticket holders stay home that would send a message where it hurts most in the NHL pocketbook. 
    Posted by bruinsking

These guys are supposed to be hockey players - tough guys. Every time they get in a fight on the ice they are intentionally trying to hurt someone. Make sure Crosby is looking right at you, drop the gloves, and hit him in the face!

That sends the correct message. No wusses allowed!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Mar 18 should be a war, plain and simple.
    Price should be on Cooke's head.
    Penguins will go to defend him.
    There are times when it is the right thing to go to war, and this is one of those times.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

This group of wimps will do nothing...to bad it wasn't wideman!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

1st off Crosby is too smart to admire a play and get drilled by a rat...Cooke has been doing this for yrs and he will not fight.  Pitt has plenty of tough guys in the lineup and Chara is a big wimp...Lucic will be the only one standing up for anyone...Thorton is a waste as well.

This really is gonna drain the life outta this team...we could have easily won that game

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Send a message but hit clean on star players running people is just idiotic.

Saying that, Cooke is not considered a person and his play goes back to his canuck days, he has always been a cheap shot artist and it is time to make an example. Take a loss whatever but every time he steps on the ice send guys to run him, dish the puck to him so you can hit him again and again. He will look at the scoreboard and laugh at you but the next game every time you see him on the ice, he will always be looking over his shoulder, just a little whisper to him for every faceoff and he will know his time is up.

Wished they still used wooden sticks, I loved to hit them with the lumber. 1st game of season I broke 3 sticks(must have dried out over the summerLOL) on the same defenceman's legs(payback for playoffs previous season), only received slashing penalties as kept the stick down. He got the message and his dirty shiite stopped (on me anyways). I also never had to take too many penalties after it. Penalties might be more severe now with 2 ref system harder to hide deliberate acts. Though ever try to just brake a wooden stick in half and I don't mean the blade, he had to of felt it especially through the pads used then.     

I wasn't dirty just HARD TO PLAY AGAINST! Remember those words, where did they go when it comes to the Bruins?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Should be a St. Patrick's Day hangover!  The the "Big and Bad are Back" motto is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!  This fan is absolutely shocked at the passive approach by the coach!  Lucic has a broken nose, so he gets a "get out of jail" card but the hell is going on with the others, Claude put Thornton on Gonchar or run the goalie like the Pens did to Thomas shortly after the hit on Savard.  The "Nothing Happens League" will undoubtedly be just as passive as the current Bruins team.  Why have Cam Neely in management if you are going to have a team not respond to a cheap shot!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

2 wrongs dont make a right...mom always said.......if there is a point when game is at hand and cooke is out there begin thornton are only 2 i want to see nail cooke  cant afford to lose anyone else

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In Response to Send a message on Mar 18:
    The message must read that hits on our skill players will earn you hits to your skill players by our tough guys (if any can be found on this squad).
    Posted by anacanapana

DARN RIGHT! EYE FOR AN EYE. I've been a fan of this team as long as I can remember and I am ashamed right now... The coach showed no emotion. The team showed no emotion. Heck, some "fans" on these boards are defending the lack of response! What has happened to this team?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomfergus. Show tomfergus's posts

im sure cooke's suspension kicks in on march 18th...........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from getoffthephone. Show getoffthephone's posts

im sure cooke's suspension kicks in on march 18th...........
    Posted by tomfergus

That's fine then run Crosby every time he has the puck. Hit him to hurt him. Are you reading this Chara our captain and leader.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Darren McCarty didn't go after Joe Sakic after Claude Lemieux rearranged Kris Draper's face.....he went after Claude and took what little remaining dignity Lemieux had left by forcing him to turtle on the ice.

Matt Cooke should suffer the same fate. No need to go after Crosby--that accomplishes nothing. Matt Cooke should be held accountable for his cheap shot, and be made to pay a significant price.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In Response to Re: Send a message on Mar 18 : That's fine then run Crosby every time he has the puck. Hit him to hurt him. Are you reading this Chara our captain and leader.
    Posted by getoffthephone

The big guy with the dislocated finger won't be doing this... Thornton makes considerably less money.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anacanapana. Show anacanapana's posts

Darren McCarty didn't go after Joe Sakic after Claude Lemieux rearranged Kris Draper's face.....he went after Claude and took what little remaining dignity Lemieux had left by forcing him to turtle on the ice. Matt Cooke should suffer the same fate. No need to go after Crosby--that accomplishes nothing. Matt Cooke should be held accountable for his cheap shot, and be made to pay a significant price.
    Posted by Kennedy97

Did you miss the opening post in this discussion? Going after Crosby (or Malkin) accomplishes everything! It evens the score and it sends the CORRECT message to the whole NHL that cheap shots to Bruins skill players will net you retaliation TO YOUR SKILL PLAYERS!

Look, you don't wanna have to do this game after game, year after year. A couple of Sportcenter examples by the Bs should do it. Take the suspensions without complaint and play the Providence Bs the rest of the year. Let 'em all know (every NHL team - every NHL player) that you're willing to go to these lengths to protect each other in every game and in any situation. And don't give me, "Well we wanted to tie the game up so we didn't retaliate" or the old "Now wasn't the time - we'll play 'em again". Horseshit! It was EXACTLY the time!

And make no mistake - Cooke doesn't slide on this. He needs to get jacked up - BIG TIME!

C'mon Bruins - be those guys - again!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Breaking the hearts of fans is one thing, but to do it to someone in the room would be unforgivable.

March 18th better be a war.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

If you think going after crosby for what cooke done your completly insane. It wasnt by order by crosby to knock savard out of the game, it was cookes inability as a good hockey player to show any respect to savard, accidental, intentional at all. Let the league deal with it, you all know this will not be forgotten and cooke is the marked man, no one one else but if the Bs wanna really show revenge, then take them out of the playoffs if they meet up..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Lets face it, this isn't a tough team. Any team can do whatever they want to the Bruins and get away with it. This is the difference between top teams and the middle teams. Every guys plays hard/borderline dirty on the 2nd through 4th lines.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, sorry, but the strategy for playing the Penguins should always include hitting Crosby and Malkin hard, with clean checks, every chance you get.  So saying that that's the way to respond to Cooke's hit is a bigger indictment of this team's play than calling them wusses.  Fighting Cooke is pointless because this is the reason he's in the NHL.  He'll take a 10% salary hit on suspensions every year if it means banking the better part of a million dollars.  Cooke's salary is $1.2M this year.  If he loses eight game checks, he loses about $118K - leaving him over a mil gross.  He doesn't see that unless he plays "on the edge" - meaning there will always be times that he crosses that line.  So there have to be real consequences for teams that employ a scud like this, and the only way to make them feel those consequences is to go after their stars.  I'm not talking about ending a career, but separating a shoulder?  Breaking a nose?  Sure.  Think Shero's going to re-up Cooke if he knows other teams are running his stars in reponse?  Think anyone wants to invest in a dirtbag like Cooke if it costs them the services of their stars?  Yeah, me neither.  This is how you get that DB out of hockey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I'll add one thing to your assessment Bookboy007, the NHL referee system needs drastic overhauling given the fact Savard was shooting the puck and was in full view of the referee.  The referee said afterwards to Bergeron "He was finishing his check".  These guys should be suspended and fined as well.   

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

This rat has done this kind of thing since his days with Vancouver,nothing will change him unless someone knocks him out.That being said the NHL will not allow retaliation especially after the Bertuzzi hit on Moore.Most likely going to have to wait till next season to take care of this rat,he will probably still be suspended when the Bruins play the penguins on the 18th.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainstone. Show captainstone's posts

In Response to Send a message on Mar 18:
    to the rest of the NHL - the Bruins WILL NOT allow this. First Bergeron and now Savard. But the correct message isn't to take on Cooke. The correct message is that someone needs to drop Crosby. Someone just run at him in the opening minute and hit him while he's facing you  - nothing from behind. Just do it! And don't give me "The Code." The code is broken; it doesn't work. If Thornton fights Cooke, what good does that do? The message must read that hits on our skill players will earn you hits to your skill players by our tough guys (if any can be found on this squad). Game misconducts, suspensions, I don't care if they have to bring up the whole Providence Bs team to finish the season.  Never thought I'd live to see the day when the Boston Bruins are seen as one of the softest teams in hockey. Buy 'em all skirts while I go vomit!
    Posted by anacanapana

I completely, wholeheartedly agree. 

If the great Don Cherry had been behind our bench, Cooke would have left the game on a stretcher, too, as he should have.

It sickens me how far this game has sunk when cowardly cheap-shot artists skate away without retribution, and punks like Crosby get minutes of face time on NHL on the Fly defending this trash.

Turning the other cheek while your best player is taken from you: it's called Ruins.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

F* a hockey game; who needs the playoffs; bring the machetes and pitchforks. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This rat has done this kind of thing since his days with Vancouver,nothing will change him unless someone knocks him out.That being said the NHL will not allow retaliation especially after the Bertuzzi hit on Moore.Most likely going to have to wait till next season to take care of this rat,he will probably still be suspended when the Bruins play the penguins on the 18th.
    Posted by john6345

You'll have to give him a career-ending injury, because as soon as he comes to, I guarantee he'll be looking to do this again.  You have to hit the guys who sign his cheques and convince them he's not worth having around.  Sort of what happened to Avery in Dallas.  Make the team suffer for having him on the roster.  Best way to do that is take out the keys to their success both on the ice and at the gate.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

I agree that a message needs to be sent, but I haven't seen a legitimate message proposed yet. You can't go and give another dirty hit back, otherwise you're not solving anything and you're only increasing the odds on another dirty hit to a Bruins player. You also don't target one player, that's along the same lines. What you do is you put a body on any opposing player with the puck. You don't give a dirty hit and aim to intentionally hurt a player, but you hit them as hard as you can. You can do a lot of damage if you control the physical play. Controlling the play will lead to more scoring chances and less of a chance for dirty hits to your own team.

I think somebody should've tried to fight Cooke immediately after the hit, but I don't think head hunting him would have solved anything. That hit should have been a penalty, plain and simple. You can't argue any reason that Cooke shouldn't have been in the box. But that's on the referees. Now it's up to the NHL to stand up for their own issue with head shots and deliver a message to Cooke. It seems unlikely that Cooke will get even a fair punishment for his act, given that Colin Campbell has been light on players that give Bruins players concussions. Randy Jones only got two games for the Bergeron hit, and Scott Hartnell didn't get any suspension for giving Andrew Alberts his concussion.

This should be a wake up call to the Bruins: don't lose control of the hitting game or you'll be taken advantage of. A big hit or a fight can be just as vital as a goal when it comes to controlling the tempo of a game. 

Sections
Shortcuts