sharks free up space for heatley, kessel, or both?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsCupiN09. Show bruinsCupiN09's posts

sharks free up space for heatley, kessel, or both?

SJ Sharks made a trade sending christian ehroff and another guy i dont know his name, to free up space. is it to get danny heatley or phil kessel. SJ has shown strong interest in both. do u think it is possible for the sharks to get both? if the sharks go after kessel i would like to see the bruins trade kessel's rights for a pick and forward devin setagouchi. he is a great young player who has put up kessel like numbers for his 1st two nhl years. he has only 20 goals less than kessel in his 1 1/2 yr experience compared to kessel's 3 year injury proned nhl experience. so what do u think? and if the bruins were to make a trade with SJ Sharks who and what would u like in return for kessel. please nobody get all up in my face about this is never going to happen please, i jus wanna see what people other people think about this topic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsSoxCeltsNo1. Show PatsSoxCeltsNo1's posts

Re: sharks free up space for heatley, kessel, or both?

Ah yeah... How much space has been cleared first off and maybe we can give you an answer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

It clears 5M off their salary cap. Just enough to give an offer sheet to Kessel...Stay tuned

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

fyi kessel is in NO way shape or form injury prone, the shoulder injury is his first injury

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Marleau to Buffalo is the next move for SJ.
    Then comes Heatley or (Kessel for Seto. and pick) maybe Ference because SJ will need a D man because they are missing 2.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TommyD603. Show TommyD603's posts

Year1-- Dude had cancer and was only out about ONE month.
    Year2-- Played all 82 games.
    Year3-- Had mono, which you're only supposed to be able to get once... tried to play through it, then had to sit, then came back and played well and played through a shoulder injury. The kid plays as much as he physically can. I don't know what you're talking about when you call him "injury prone"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBhockey. Show BBhockey's posts

The Sharks would still need to clear approximately $3M to fit Heatley under the salary cap.  It's probably to sign Kessel, but it really depends how much money they're willing to fork over and what Kessel wants ($$$).

The sharks website has an interesting interview about the trade with Wilson.  When discussing the trade he talks about young players that became available, and teams against the cap etc... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Since this is a "What if" question ...

Assuming the offer sheet to Kessel is in the $4.5M to $5M range the B's would get 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks for him. If the B's match the offer, there's no way they could come in at the cap by Oct 1. Putting Kessel on LTIR only buys them time and puts them in a tough situation when he's ready to come back.

So if SJ wants to be politically correct and work a trade for Kessel the return would need to be comparable.

I like Setoguchi. He's a good up and coming player who is very cap friendly this season at a total hit, (salary + bonuses), of $1.247M. But he's a RFA next season. That puts the B's are right back where they are now. Only difference is they will be looking to sign Lucic, Wheeler, Rask, Stuart and possibly Savvy. Setoguchi will likely be looking at dollars in the same range as Kessel. With the cap likely to go down there's no way the B's can keep all of them.

Ryan Clowe would fit if the B's send Kobasew to the Sharks as well. His hit would be $3.625M and the B's would have $4.097M in cap space. The difference here is Clowe is signed through 2012-13.

Kessel and Kobasew to SJ for Clowe, prospect Logan Couture and a 2nd round pick?

Personally, I'd rather see them save the space and take a couple of solid prospects like Logan Couture and Jamie McGinn plus a 1st/2nd round pick.

They have a bonus cushion of $4.26M. Most of it is tied up in Rask @ $2.35M and Wheeler @ $1.95M. If they don't reach the requirements then the bonuses comes off the cap. That could free up some money later in the season to make a move.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBhockey. Show BBhockey's posts

BruWingFan: I would love to see the B's get Devin Setoguchi, but I don't see that happening.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazybsfan04. Show crazybsfan04's posts

In Response to Re: sharks free up space for heatley, kessel, or both?:
    [QUOTE]BruWingFan: I would love to see the B's get Devin Setoguchi, but I don't see that happening.
    Posted by BBhockey[/QUOTE]but as he said if we did get setoguchi we'd be back to square one again because he's a rfa next year and i personally agree that clowe makes more sense when looked at closely the trade he proposed isn't half bad!however san jose needs a d-man right now seeing as how they just traded away ehrhoff and lukowich.so here's what i'd propose:kessel2.2 million and ference1.4 million and maybe a pick/prospect for ryan clowe3.5 million and logan couture or if not him i'd demand at least a 1st-3rd rounder in return if it were me.so all in all kessel+ference=3.6mil in exchange for clowe and his 3.5 mil we win that trade and we all move on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrainDoctorDanny. Show BrainDoctorDanny's posts

How about we just trade EVERY Star Boston player with an attitude to San Jose?

Joe Thornton AND Phil Kessel? 

Would they be interested in Manny Ramirez, too?

Can Jim Rice play hockey? Would Sebastian Telfair give the Sharks some depth?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

The Sharks are still in Cap problems they have 5.566M left and only have 9 forwards 5 defence and 1 goalie in this money. Dany at 7.5 is not going to fit, and neither is Kessel unless they let Marleau or Thornton go and sign alot of ahl players at the minimum. They need 3-4 forwards, 2 defence and a goalie for 5.566M. at 6players that is less than a M a piece and at 7 closer to $800 K.

Their probelm, like ours is that within this cap system some players are overpaid, Clowe 3.625M scored 22G last Year   -    Sturm 3.5M never scored 30
    Cheechoo 3M scored 56G 4 years ago  -  Ryder 4M scored 30 twice
    Michalek 4.3M never scored 30    -   Krejci 3.75M -1 20G 70P season

Cheechoo is the only one came on cheap after scoring 56G then 37, none of the others have put up the numbers to get the salaries they have received and in saying so Kessel will garner more than all of the above and so he should.

Kessel is not at 2.2M that was last year. You do not trade a goal scorer for drafts and prospects unless you are out of playoffs and dumping salary, you MUST get a scorer in return.

Setoguchi is coming along and WILL be a good player but he has not earned Kessel numbers, last year was his top at 31 but he will get in the 3+M.

Sharks must let Marleau go to get Heatley but that will leave them in the same situation as Ottawa was a one line team.

We must sign Kessel to heave us over the hump for the cup.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazybsfan04. Show crazybsfan04's posts

[QUOTE]The Sharks are still in Cap problems they have 5.566M left and only have 9 forwards 5 defence and 1 goalie in this money. Dany at 7.5 is not going to fit, and neither is Kessel unless they let Marleau or Thornton go and sign alot of ahl players at the minimum. They need 3-4 forwards, 2 defence and a goalie for 5.566M. at 6players that is less than a M a piece and at 7 closer to $800 K. Their probelm, like ours is that within this cap system some players are overpaid, Clowe 3.625M scored 22G last Year   -    Sturm 3.5M never scored 30 Cheechoo 3M scored 56G 4 years ago  -  Ryder 4M scored 30 twice Michalek 4.3M never scored 30    -   Krejci 3.75M -1 20G 70P season Cheechoo is the only one came on cheap after scoring 56G then 37, none of the others have put up the numbers to get the salaries they have received and in saying so Kessel will garner more than all of the above and so he should. Kessel is not at 2.2M that was last year. You do not trade a goal scorer for drafts and prospects unless you are out of playoffs and dumping salary, you MUST get a scorer in return. Setoguchi is coming along and WILL be a good player but he has not earned Kessel numbers, last year was his top at 31 but he will get in the 3+M. Sharks must let Marleau go to get Heatley but that will leave them in the same situation as Ottawa was a one line team. We must sign Kessel to heave us over the hump for the cup.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]look man,i couldn't give a dam what kessel's salary is i just don't want him on this team.period.trading away chuck kobasew to keep kessel is just plain dumb!we shouldn't have to clear out anyone on this flippin' roster just to keep this young little pansy!ask me if i've got a problem with kessel and i'll tell you straight up:yes i do!he doesn't fit the bill as a real bruin,and until he actually tries to hit someone,i'll have no respect for the guy,and even if he did hit someone i still wouldn't be impressed!whatever you guys see in this kid i don't know,but i do know it's pathetic!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GillesGilbert. Show GillesGilbert's posts

[QUOTE]Since this is a "What if" question ... Assuming the offer sheet to Kessel is in the $4.5M to $5M range the B's would get 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks for him. If the B's match the offer, there's no way they could come in at the cap by Oct 1. Putting Kessel on LTIR only buys them time and puts them in a tough situation when he's ready to come back. So if SJ wants to be politically correct and work a trade for Kessel the return would need to be comparable. I like Setoguchi. He's a good up and coming player who is very cap friendly this season at a total hit, (salary + bonuses), of $1.247M. But he's a RFA next season. That puts the B's are right back where they are now. Only difference is they will be looking to sign Lucic, Wheeler, Rask, Stuart and possibly Savvy. Setoguchi will likely be looking at dollars in the same range as Kessel. With the cap likely to go down there's no way the B's can keep all of them. Ryan Clowe would fit if the B's send Kobasew to the Sharks as well. His hit would be $3.625M and the B's would have $4.097M in cap space. The difference here is Clowe is signed through 2012-13. Kessel and Kobasew to SJ for Clowe, prospect Logan Couture and a 2nd round pick? Personally, I'd rather see them save the space and take a couple of solid prospects like Logan Couture and Jamie McGinn plus a 1st/2nd round pick. They have a bonus cushion of $4.26M. Most of it is tied up in Rask @ $2.35M and Wheeler @ $1.95M. If they don't reach the requirements then the bonuses comes off the cap. That could free up some money later in the season to make a move.
    Posted by BruWingFan[/QUOTE]

Bonuses don't count against the cap at all this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: sharks free up space for heatley, kessel, or both? : Bonuses don't count against the cap at all this year.
    Posted by GillesGilbert[/QUOTE]

They do if they are met during the season.

Example; Let's assume Rask gets $250K for every 30 days he's on the roster. That number would count vs the cap as it's met. But, any bonuses that push the team over the cap limit would be added to the following year's cap hit.