Should Chara be traded?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Should Chara be traded?

He has done good for our team the past two regular seasons. The playoffs not so much but that still doesn't deter the fact that he is still considered a very good D today. I don't think it is viable to resign him however. We have a cap that is about to explode , need to resign Bergeron, Rask in a few years etc.

Chara however being a very good defenseman still can you net you some good players in return.

Chicago who won it all avoided getting into financial distress but had to trade away some very important players such as Dustin B, to make it happen

I think PC has to make tough decisions to try to not let the cap explode.

Losing Chara no doubt could hurt our overall defense but i don't think to the point  where we still wouldn't be in the top 5 best defensive team in the league. We still have a coach that praises on playing defense and a goalie who is as stingiest as they come in letting goals in.

Chara also is a player that is highly tradeable and will bring back very decent talent in return. You can't say that about other guys with big contracts such as Savard, Ryder, Sturm

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Should Chara be traded?

Ryder's $4M is not a big contract.  Sturm's contract is even less.

If you trade Chara, who is the #1 defenseman on the team?  Seidenberg?  LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

First of all, Chara has a NTC.

Second of all, who replaces him?

Waiting....

Nobody, that's who.

No, you don't trade him. You re-sign him to a long-term deal, win the damn Stanley Cup, and watch him skate around the Garden ice holding it over his head with one hand.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgebhardt8. Show sgebhardt8's posts

In Response to Should Chara be traded?:
    [QUOTE]He has done good for our team the past two regular seasons. The playoffs not so much but that still doesn't deter the fact that he is still considered a very good D today. I don't think it is viable to resign him however. We have a cap that is about to explode , need to resign Bergeron, Rask in a few years etc. Chara however being a very good defenseman still can you net you some good players in return. Chicago who won it all avoided getting into financial distress but had to trade away some very important players such as Dustin B, to make it happen I think PC has to make tough decisions to try to not let the cap explode. Losing Chara no doubt could hurt our overall defense but i don't think to the point  where we still wouldn't be in the top 5 best defensive team in the league. We still have a coach that praises on playing defense and a goalie who is as stingiest as they come in letting goals in. Chara also is a player that is highly tradeable and will bring back very decent talent in return. You can't say that about other guys with big contracts such as Savard, Ryder, Sturm
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]
    It's posts like these that make me crazy!  I don't even know where to begin with this but I'll try.  The cap is not about to explode because next year a lot of money is coming off the cap.  Secondly, he is not highly tradeable because he is going to be a free agent and someone is going to have to sign him to big dollars, which not many teams will be able or want to pay him.  As others have pointed out, who is going to replace him?  Even Julien's system can't make up for a loss like that.
    So my answer is no, he should not be traded.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=5

Chiarelli has right around 25Mil to play with next year so no cap crunch next summer. I'd like to see 7, 7, 6, 6, 5 and 3Mil for Chara's extension. It would end at 39 years old which is what Zdeno mentioned he wanted a six year deal. The drop at the end of the contract shouldn't concern the NHL because it doesn't bring Z into his 40s.

I know this if Matt Keator balks at a contract above PC must listen to offers. Chiarelli cannot come up empty if Chara walks. Big Z could fetch some good players. So if Zdeno does want to stay in Boston he would need to take a little less or play somewhere else. PC cannot keep overpaying especially with Rask and Krejci needing contract extentions in 2012 these two are far important than overpaying big Z.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Chara will be a Bruin for another 6-7 years , count on it .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Chara at 7 years, 5.75 per? I think this, maybe a tad less, gets it done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-of-Smeg. Show Bruins-of-Smeg's posts

NO! Sign him for his career

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

C'mon.  Watch a few games before you start a thread.  There are so many things wrong with this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1NEFAN2. Show 1NEFAN2's posts

No to a trade. resign for the next 6yrs, but not over 6 mil per year for 2 the scale down over the next 4. If he doen't want to stay in Bos then you have to get what you can for him. But don't want see that happen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Dennis Seidenberg is a vastly underrated d in the league. He plays actually a  more sound game than Chara does imo. Better at bringing the puck up to the offensive zone also.

Whats there to laugh about him taking over the #1 d spot if Chara left? He logged on #1 like time on the ice before his injury

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

No.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Sign him for 3 years 4 max not 6

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Should Chara be traded?:
    [QUOTE]                  http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=5 Chiarelli has right around 25Mil to play with next year so no cap crunch next summer. I'd like to see 7, 7, 6, 6, 5 and 3Mil for Chara's extension. It would end at 39 years old which is what Zdeno mentioned he wanted a six year deal. The drop at the end of the contract shouldn't concern the NHL because it doesn't bring Z into his 40s. I know this if Matt Keator balks at a contract above PC must listen to offers. Chiarelli cannot come up empty if Chara walks. Big Z could fetch some good players. So if Zdeno does want to stay in Boston he would need to take a little less or play somewhere else. PC cannot keep overpaying especially with Rask and Krejci needing contract extentions in 2012 these two are far important than overpaying big Z.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Sound judgement SanDog, can you believe Drew Dougherty was ranked number #8 in the TSN top Fifty in the NHL.  He is and will be a great player but after two seasons?  Chara is number #23, two back from Pronger.  Chara's defensive play will help the Bs develop a young player hopefully like Dougherty in the next several years.  If he is not signed soon, then entertain trades.  The Bs chances will sink quickly if that is done nonetheless.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

This is a reasonable thought. Other teams like Chicago, San Jose, have had success without a Chara on defense. Hockey is a team sport where solid D like Shea Weber and Dan Hamhuis could replace the no.1 pairing for the Bruins. IMO Chara will be offered a six year package as stated above. The only problem with so much depending on one player is injury. The Bruins " system" could still be strong but the burden would be on all of the defense not just the no.1 pairing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I don't think the idea is terrible.  I really don't think he has done that much for us and is a Joe Thorton of D-Men.  Meaning he chokes in the playoffs.  I want the mean version that we signed as a F/A.  This new version is like watching an ugly Hal Gill skate around.  He really disappointed me last year.  And yes Duinne I realize he was hurt.  I wish he had more Chris Pronger o his game. 

Who would replace him?  There are lots of options available actually.  I don't think any of them can acually replace him though.  If Wayne Gretzky can be traded anyone can.  In Charas defense he mixes a combination that is very hard to find.  I like Bieksa a lot but he doesnt have the over all game that Chara does. 

I think there are other options.  Kaberle, Jack Johnson, Bieksa are a few...BUT I AM NOT SAYING THEY COULD REPLACE CHARA BEFORE ONE OF THE DRAMA QUEENS(AKA DUINNE) ALTERS MY WORDS

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Chara be traded? : Sound judgement SanDog, can you believe Drew Dougherty was ranked number #8 in the TSN top Fifty in the NHL.  He is and will be a great player but after two seasons?  Chara is number #23, two back from Pronger.  Chara's defensive play will help the Bs develop a young player hopefully like Dougherty in the next several years.  If he is not signed soon, then entertain trades.  The Bs chances will sink quickly if that is done nonetheless.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]
    I know what you mean.I saw this thread and started thinking about possible replacements.I thought about Doughty and quickly dismissed it as I don't think his offence could offset the loss of Chara's physicality.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanFromMontreal. Show BruinsFanFromMontreal's posts

Whatever the lenght of the contract, is he cap hit under between 5 and 6, it is perfect.

don't forget Thomas won't be playing forever, thats 5M to the cap hit.

we'll see how it goes this year, but he might be playing with Redden and SOuray next year or year later.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]This is a reasonable thought. Other teams like Chicago, San Jose, have had success without a Chara on defense. Hockey is a team sport where solid D like Shea Weber and Dan Hamhuis could replace the no.1 pairing for the Bruins. IMO Chara will be offered a six year package as stated above. The only problem with so much depending on one player is injury. The Bruins " system" could still be strong but the burden would be on all of the defense not just the no.1 pairing.
    Posted by Bogie6[/QUOTE]

I have three problems with this, Bogie.  1. Chicago had success with the Norris Trophy Winner as their number one.  Granted, Keith is a different kind of defenseman, so if you mean other teams succeed without a 7 foot Czech, my apologies.  2. San Jose had success?  When?  Even if we're accepting 2nd and 3rd round losses as success, haven't the Sharks repeatedly tried to improve the back end by trading for Boyle and signing Campbell?  Boyle has been Boyle (an Olympian) and Campbell left UFA, but still.  And as for the huge D-man factor, they also have Doug Murray.  3.  Shea Weber is not a second tier defenseman.  Effectively, you're saying "we could replace our rock-solid, 50 point scoring #1 D with another rock-solid, 50 poing scoring #1 D."

Yaz - you don't take risks with players to manage the cap.  You take risks with the cap to manage the players and win the Cup.  Your thinking is absolutely backward.  The only way you consider dealing Chara is if this season goes totally backwards - say, you're ten points out of the playoffs at the deadline - and Chara has indicated he's going to test the market for his final deal.  And if the Bruins lose Chara as a UFA, well, that's a bridge they can cross when they come to it, but if they're 10 out at the deadline, maybe they need to look to redesign the defense corps anyway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Chara's good, but he is replacable.  The question is by who.  Personally, I'm not a very big fan of his game, especially the past couple years in the playoffs.  He's not a big game player and he gets alot of money not to be.  Yes, he brings some leadership and has a long reach, but is he quick?  Does he have good speed?  Does he anticipate the up-ice play quick enough?  Krejci probably can answer that.  Is he an opposing force in the Dzone?

D to D is not a 7mil play.

Pittsburg did it without a Chara.  Chicago did it with 2 Boychuks.  Carolina did it with Frank Kaberle and Aaron Ward.  I'm not opposed to entertaining the thought of trading Chara.  He hasn't been a big game difference maker yet.  And there's no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Who are the RFA Defensemen this year?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]Dennis Seidenberg is a vastly underrated d in the league. He plays actually a  more sound game than Chara does imo. Better at bringing the puck up to the offensive zone also. Whats there to laugh about him taking over the #1 d spot if Chara left? He logged on #1 like time on the ice before his injury
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]
    With all due respect, I hope you're kidding here. 

If the Bruins want to win the Cup, they need Chara plain and simple.

I don't think you can get fair value for him coming back even if he waived his NTC, because he becomes a free agent at the end of the year.

Bruins will have the money, Chara will get at least what he's making now (if his agent is any good) and I can't imagine the Bruins letting him go.

My expectation is that Chara will retire as a Bruin.  If not, God I hope he comes to the Leafs....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Chara be traded? : With all due respect, I hope you're kidding here.  If the Bruins want to win the Cup, they need Chara plain and simple. I don't think you can get fair value for him coming back even if he waived his NTC, because he becomes a free agent at the end of the year. Bruins will have the money, Chara will get at least what he's making now (if his agent is any good) and I can't imagine the Bruins letting him go. My expectation is that Chara will retire as a Bruin.  If not, God I hope he comes to the Leafs....
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]
    Sadly,I suspect he's not joking.The fact Boston's defence has been top 2 for the past 2 years gets lost on some people.Had Seidenberg been available to complement Chara in the philly series,I think the bruins would've closed them out.Zee couldn't play entire games and Boston is far weaker when he's on the bench.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Im on the fence.  I just dont see the IMPACT he's making, especially in the playoffs.  A guy his size should DOMINATE, and I just dont see it.  Every once in a while hell have a game where he dominiates, but I dont think he is a dominating factor.  I thought Ward was better.

Obviously you cant replace his size, but the comparable/better d-men out there would be involved in a trade.  You couldnt trade Chara straight up for Boyle or Green, Lidstrom or Keith, Pronger or Campbell.  Those are names that come to mind as being equally as good or better for various reasons.  I think there are a lot of 2 guy "teams" that could EASILY replace Chara and his partner (whomever that might be) on any given night.

My REAL issue is, I just dont think Chara is worth 7mil plus.  If you could lock him up for 5 years, something like 7mil, 6mil, 6mil, 4mil, 3mil with incentives, that would the way to go.  I DONT think/like him getting 7mil+ for more than another year, unless he PROVES he really IS a captain.  Right now Im not convinced.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

NO!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Pitt did it without a Chara - yeah, they simply had a guy like Gonchar... which we don't have. All 3 Cup winners from the last 3 yrs have had elite D. Lidstrom/ Rafalski, Gonchar, Keith/ Campbell.
    The new NHL seems to allow you to have sub-par goaltending and reach the final (Chicago, Pitt & Detroit did not have great goaltending) but solid, smart elite D-men leading the way with big minutes and intelligent play - to go along with a nasty offense.
    Chara should not & will not be moved. You don't have a viable replacement and will have to overspend to get one, much like we did to get Chara in the first place.
    You have a lot of $$ coming off the books in Sturm & Ryder - and a lot of young talent pushing for spots that reduces your cap hits. Hopefully the cap will continue to rise, and the B's can continue to grow/ develop some of the young guys like Krejci & Seguin into elite status for the offense.

Sections
Shortcuts