Should the B's draft a goalie?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Should the B's draft a goalie?

Not to impressed with the depth at this position . Do the B's need to upgrade the talent level at this position or are you happy with what they've got . The latest I heard Kevin Regan wasn't even given a qualifying offer.

Goaltenders

1. Kevin Regan 
    2. Matt Dalton
    3. Michael Hutchinson 
    4. Adam Courchaine

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: Should the B's draft a goalie?

If im not mistaken the Bs are high on hutchinson, not sure where he is tho

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Nice pack of sieves there. Yikes! Not sure who is avaialble in the draft after Campbell and Pickard. Campbell will be long gone when the Bruins pick at 32 and Pickard may be gone as well. I'm not sure I would use #32 on him anyway. If Campbell is there I would grab him. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

who is the Bruins current minor league goalie? since Rask got called up, we definitely need to be looking at replacing Rask in the minors.

I'm not certain, but I think we may have already made a move in this regard... i'm not sure though

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Hutchinson played for the London Knights this year . Watched him play and he had a decent year .Then the playoffs came along and yikes . Against the Kitchener Rangers he was pulled in half the games at least. Two goalies I'm interested in from the OHL are Niagara's Mark Visentin and Windsor's Phillip Grubauer. Don't know if either will last to the 4th round and I'd be hesitant to take them with the 45th pick if there is still quality players there at the other positions. But I really think they have to upgrade this position with a higher pick , not a late round pick which they hope will amount to something but usually doesn't.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Should the B's draft a goalie?:
    hey im with the providence bruins.  first off last season starting goaltender was dany sabourin and back up kevin regan. also as a back up providence had matt dalton and nevin hamilton. kevin regan is gone from the bruins organization // i suggest next year in providence matt dalton and either huthenson or courchaine
    Posted by shandkid

Was  Regan the one with MS?
    Didn't we get that kid who stood on his head for Bemidji State?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

sign a guy out of college, don't waste a draft pick. back ups can be signed in the UFA market
    Posted by pbergeron37

Absolutely agree.  I hate wasting draft picks on goalies and there are always good, unsigned goalies coming out of college (eg. Matt Dalton).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpJay76. Show SpJay76's posts

In Response to Re: Should the B's draft a goalie? : Was  Regan the one with MS? Didn't we get that kid who stood on his head for Bemidji State?
    Posted by BadHabitude

I believe Jordan Sigalet was the one with MS and he's long gone. And Matt Dalton is the kid  from Bemidji state

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Should the B's draft a goalie? : I believe Jordan Sigalet was the one with MS and he's long gone. And Matt Dalton is the kid  from Bemidji state
    Posted by SpJay76

Thanks.  You guys are faster than google.

I've never seen the Dalton kid play, then again, a kid who carries his college team to to the NCAA finals has to have some potential.  I remember this kid from Lake Superior State whose team actually won because of him, it was Blane Lacher and...  oh.  yeah.  never mind that story...

Hopefully Dalton will be different.  Kind of good they didn't throw him right in there like they did Lacher, he might develop.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Another point, maybe not for nothing, but a lot of teams in the late rounds of the playoffs with weak goaltending.

Gee, only 1 goalie in the top 40(?) regular season went deep into the playoffs, and that was Niemi whose team was stacked anyway.

Maybe you don't need goaltending anymore.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

There are only 30 #1 goalie jobs available, so there will always be decent UFA goalies a team can sign.
    I have no idea why a GM would burn a 1st round pick on a goalie.
    Even if you draft a good one, his entry level contract has expired by the time he becomes a starter, so the advantage of a quality player at a cheap cap hit usually does not pertain to goalies. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

biggs, the Bruins just finished demonstrating how you handle a 1st round goaltender.  1 - don't expect him to play in October.  Give him plenty of time to settle in, adapt etc. so his confidence doesn't tank.  2 - get him exposure before you throw him to the wolves. 3 - play him enough in year three of the entry level deal to know if you have something or not.  4 - sign him to an extension that pays him less than $1M more than his entry level deal before bonuses.  Then you have a guy who's well-set-up to succeed as your top netminder for a deal that pays him like a back-up.

That depth chart is scary, but I'm not sure you improve it with this draft.  Certainly not with 32 or 45.  Campbell won't make it there, and I don't know about Pickard.  Beyond that, it doesn't seem to be a world-beater of a year for netminders.  I think Courchaine is what he is - an undrafted signee out of junior who had a decent over-age year but hardly looked like a prospect.  Hutchinson got processed by Skinner, but he could be a guy who plays a few years in the minors to really perfect his game.  Big goalie.  I've always seen the Dalton signing as a flyer - big story kid whose worth a the signing just to get a few column inches of coverage.  He's still got a ways to go.

As for there always being college free agents to sign - for what purpose?  How many undrafted college goaltenders are solid NHL goaltenders?  Or is the question "should the B's draft a goalie to back up Dany Sabourin?"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Campbell will be gone by the time #32 comes around. Pickard, if he's still on the board at #32, would be tempting. Goalies take longer to develop and if we take a blue chipper like Pickard we have a few years to let him develop.  I think we need a solid goalie in the AHL as an insurance policy/mentor to Dalton or Courchaine.

UFA Possibilities:

Joey MacDonald, Steve Valiquette, Wade Dubielewicz, Dany Sabourin, Curtis Sanford. All are 30ish and have NHL experience but are riding the line between the NHL and AHL. Sanford would be my preference. But he may re-sign with MTL for the chance to be Price's backup next season.

Josh Tordjman, Al Montoya and Tyler Weiman are mid 20's and were top prospects in their respective organizations. Tordjman and Montoya were stuck behind Bryzgalov and LaBarbera. When your #1 is playing almost 70 games you keep your prospects in the minors playing. I'd be ok with Tordjman. Weiman was behind Anderson and Budaj in Colorado. I'd be ok with him as well. I've seen both play in the AHL and they are very capable goalies with good potential. Montoya was ranked high coming out of college but can't seem to put it together as a pro.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobby774. Show bobby774's posts

i agree wit pberger37, Goalies from free agent will sufice just fine dont waste pick