SICK ABOUT TT BASHING!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boss23. Show boss23's posts

Re: SICK ABOUT TT BASHING!

In Response to Re: SICK ABOUT TT BASHING!:
    Two things about Thomas that bring about the bashing: 1) His style is very un-orthodox and "busy"...he doesn't tend to stay "calm" in the net, or square up to the shooters like Rask and most of the new crop of young goalies are (over)taught to do, so even when he makes spectacular saves (and he does), they are often of the heart-attack variety and leave fans feeling more frazzled than secure...even though the main point has been achieved--keeping the puck out of the net. These same fans should remember that sometimes ugly goaltending is as good as scoring ugly goals--doesn't matter HOW you do it...just that you get it done. 2) There's Thomas the goalie, and Thomas the Contract. The goalie is good, the contract is not. Yes, he won the Vezina, but he didn't win it at 25 or 26 or even 32...he won it at 35...and you don't give a 35-year old goalie a high-priced, multi-year deal. You just don't. It was short-sighted and stupid, mostly b/c TT very likely would have signed for less--both years and dollars. It was a hasty move that messed up their cap space, and a curious one , given that they already knew they had a rising young star in Rask. Bottom line: Thomas IS a good goalie. Anyone's who's watched him play for the Bruins (and even at UVM where he was also under-valued by the rest of the college hockey world) knows this is the case, and the numbers back it up. As a back-up, he's phenomenal. I don't think there are many #2 goalies in the league who are as good as Thomas......BUT....he's an albatross as a back up given the salary he's pulling down--thru no fault of his own. That's all on PC. And: If you can trade him for a good scoring winger--DO IT...b/c we need the scoring more than we do the net-minding, not to mention the cap space it could clear. But good luck finding any takers given TT's age/contract.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

Great Post!!! You hit the nail in the head.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In his NHL career, Rask has 33 full games where he let in two or less goals.

I refuse to hang my hat on such a small amount of success.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peanator. Show Peanator's posts

In Response to Re: SICK ABOUT TT BASHING! : And what if Rask, who has started a total of 56 NHL games, fails in his second year?  All the scoring they'd get from the winger wouldn't help if the B's are letting in four goals every game.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Good Post Not-A-Shot......It's sad that everybody don't see it like you !

Rask have a lot to prove !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shazbot1104. Show shazbot1104's posts

its not like TT choked a 3 games to 1 lead in the playoffs, its not like TT stood around like the rest of his teamates and did nothing (except shawn thorton) when Matt Cooke took out Mark Savard. TT did the job when asked he may have had a slump or two but, I seem to remember TT was one of the 3 best American goalies when it came to Olympic selection, back of TT his contract its structed that it was front loaded and by next year he will be paid like a 2nd string goalie. I dont remember Boston Police having to respond to Causeway St because TT pulled out AK-47 and made the B's give him the contract. Rask could be a one year wonder if he had performed in his first couple of years, and TR wouldnt have played like a one number one goalie instead of a Providence bruin his 1st few yrs TT would not have gotten this deal, dont hate the player hate the game        CP   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yea Peanator, Rask has a lot to prove, but doesn't Thomas have more to prove?
    Posted by pbergeron37

In his NHL career, Rask has 33 full games where he let in two or less goals.

Last season, when Thomas was so awful that people think he's toast, he started 23 games where he gave up two or less goals.

What does Thomas have to prove?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: SICK ABOUT TT BASHING! : In his NHL career, Rask has 33 full games where he let in two or less goals. Last season, when Thomas was so awful that people think he's toast, he started 23 games where he gave up two or less goals. What does Thomas have to prove?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

NAS,
    I dug out a stat earlier that thomas lost 10 games where he gave up less then 2 goals..

Including a 1-3-2 stretch where the bruins only scored 5 goals in 6 starts, including a 3-0 win, and he surrendered only 8 goals in those 6 (including a 0-1 so loss and a 1-2 otl ,the team being shut out in 3 others..)

Anyhow who reviews his game log can see its pretty easy to argue the team let him down more then he let them down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I am not arguing who had a better year, but the stats are skewed, thomas was hurt, no one knows when (i would argue he indeed hid the injury because of the olympics)..

He wasn't being pulled at the begining of the season, and his and rask stats were nearly identical through jan (though rask did have a much better win loss) thus the benefit of the team playing better in front of him, and playing weaker opponents.

I have never argued rask didnt have a good season, nor that he didnt outplay thomas.. Simply that thomas is indeed a good goalie, and has done alot for this franchise, Rask still has much to prove.

The fact remains a 2.56 GAA and .917 svs % should translate to better then a 17-18 record, especially considering he had 5 shut outs..(one of which the team failed to even win)

I made a point earlier that no one knows how rask will react coming out of the epic collapse in the play offs, and plenty of bruins goalies have come in to play a great rookie year only to never pan out. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

L33532.9140059:082100
    Dec 30 '09   ATL @ BOS W018181.0001059:470000
    Dec 19 '09   BOS @ TOR L23129.9350059:222000
    Dec 10 '09   TOR @ BOS W23432.9410060:002000
    Dec 05 '09   TOR @ BOS W23331.9390060:002000
    Dec 04 '09   BOS @ MTL  0661.0000019:040000
    Nov 27 '09   NJD @ BOS O13736.9730065:001000
    Nov 25 '09   BOS @ MIN W12928.9660265:000100
    Nov 23 '09   BOS @ STL W23129.9350059:172000
    Nov 20 '09   BOS @ BUF W12625.9620060:150100
    Nov 19 '09   BOS @ ATL W33532.9140065:002100
    Nov 16 '09   NYI @ BOS L32017.8500059:373001
    Nov 07 '09   BUF @ BOS W23028.9330059:532000
    Oct 31 '09   EDM @ BOS W019191.0001060:000000
    Oct 22 '09   BOS @ PHI O33936.9230065:003000
    Oct 12 '09   COL @ BOS L42218.8180059:281210
    Oct 10 '09   NYI @ BOS
    Ok until Jan 1st 2010 nine out of sixteen of Rask appearences 2009-2010 season were against non playoff teams.So he definately had padded stats last season.As well as pulling off the biggest choke in sports history!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

If you want to look at stats, look at Luongos.  His numbers are HORENDOUS!!!!!  How ANYBODY can argue that Luongo is a true number one is beyond me.  His numbers in FLA didnt warrent ANY type of contract from Vancouver, yet he is considered one of the best in the game. 

TT has been steller the past 3 years for Boston.  Im not talking best in the league (although he was one of them when he won the Vezina) but he has been top 10 for 3 years (even though last year wasnt a good year).  Which brings me to last year:  I think Timmy was hurt a lot more than people  realize and in turn didnt play as well as he could have.  I also think his supporting cast was abscent most of the time.  NOBODY scored goals, nobody.  TT was in a bad situation last year, and goalie would have played bad.  Couple that with the hip injury, and I think he still played well. 

Rask hasnt really proven himself on any level, so I dont understand where the love for this guy comes from.  He played well at times last season, but definitely didnt look like a full time number 1.  TT will get healthy and battle his way back in there and if he doesnt, its because he is traded and he'll have a great year somewhere else.  If there are only 30 true #1's in the league, that means #1's are a rare breed.  TT is a #1 whether its here or somewhere else and his contract represents that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

not a shot, i notice you didn't reply to my earlier post, is that what you do when you realize your wrong? I didn't say Thomas was awful last year? who did? did you? I didn't see anyone say that. Thomas had one very good year and a couple solid years. Tuukka has the more recent example of success, I think Thomas has just as much to prove if not more than Tuukka
    Posted by pbergeron37

I skimmed it quickly and found nothing of value.  Something about me feeling inferior and you using previous posts here as a foundation for a position. 

Your posts are difficult to read because they contain a lot of rhetorical questions and you asking questions just to answer them yourself.  They remind me of a nagging girlfriend I had once (or twice).  Most of your points are either wrong, parroted, or illogical.  If you go on for more than three or four sentences, I tend to skip the rest.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

your really going to blame rask for that huh? Can I ask why? did you watch the games?
    Posted by pbergeron37

I watched almost every minute of every game Rask played last season.  He spends too much time on his knees.

Does that makes sense?  Do I think Rask is going to be good?  I don't know.  Is it his fault?  Maybe.  Are the Bruins a better team without Tim Thomas?  Not at all.  Is asking questions like this really annoying?  Yes it is. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Pberg,
    I don't argue rask talent, I dont think most do, I don't think NAS does either.  I think we have seen enough in the past to be weary, and skeptical until its been proven.. I am optimistic, hopeful, whatever you want to call it.. But I am not going to trash thomas or hsi accomplishments based on one good season by rask.

Andrew raycroft Calder winning goalie for the bruins 57 starts 2.05GAA .926 SVS% lost his starting Job the following season, never posted above a .900 svs% again till last season as a back up in van.  Lost his job to Tim Thomas who hasn't reliquished the spot yet.

Similarly, I know what thomas has done, and his numbers don't lie..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neelybestallaround. Show Neelybestallaround's posts

not a shot, i notice you didn't reply to my earlier post, is that what you do when you realize your wrong? I didn't say Thomas was awful last year? who did? did you? I didn't see anyone say that. Thomas had one very good year and a couple solid years. Tuukka has the more recent example of success, I think Thomas has just as much to prove if not more than Tuukka
    Posted by pbergeron37

And I noticed you didn't answer NAS question? What does TT have to prove? He's been proving his whole career to people like you & yet even when he does prove it you still go around talking your sh^t! Since you go on so much about Rask & think he's Marty Brodeur & Glenn Hall combined I think it's Rask that needs to prove he's the goalie that played well for 30 games & not the one who played like a 3rd string goalie in a beer league in his last 4 starts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Another consideration regarding Thomas is how he handled the added pressure of the contract, and the emergence of Rask which put his starting job in jeopardy.
    He didn't deal with it well and it showed, it's not an excuse but it's part of the picture. I never felt Julien dealt with this issue properly and seemed to have zero tolerance for Thomas' obvious struggles. It caught up with him when he finally needed to go to Thomas vs Philly, but had already shut that door weeks before.
    Claude is set in his ways, and really not much of a motivator. I'm not saying that TT shouldn't take responsibility for his play last season...but it might have been handled better with a different personality behind the bench. Tim Thomas is an emotional player...sometimes that can work against you - I think it did. This year he'll have a completely different mindset where he'll feel like he has something to prove, and fight for. Don't underestimate his compete level, it's off the charts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to SICK ABOUT TT BASHING!:
    Do I am the only one tired of hearing bashing about Tim Thomas ???? Why fans hounded him like like that ??? There are tons of other players to blame before him ! 2002-2003 Bruins   4  3    1      0 -  0 11    118     .907  3.01 220 2005-2006 Bruins 38 12 13 - 10  1 101   1,213  .917   2.77 2,187 2006-2007 Bruins 66 30 29 - 4  3 189   1,985    .905   3.13 3,619 2007-2008 Bruins 57 28 19 - 6 3 136 1,731 .921 2.44 3,342 2008-2009 Bruins 54 36 11 - 7  5 114   1,694 .   933   2.10 3,259 2009-2010 Bruins 43 17 18 - 8 5 104 1,221 .915 2.56 2,442 Always + .900 SV%....Not bad for a poor goalie ! ! ! With a Vezina trophy ! This guy never giveup throughout his career.....Give him some respect ! Anyway, we need him at least for one more year because we are not sure what we give Rask a full season as number one goalie.  Stop the trash talk & let the new season begin ! TT lovers.........HELP ME !
    Posted by Peanator

He stinks...He's a "me" player, shows it on numerous nights by retaliating. He's a respectable goalie, not great. I guarantee he will never come close to getting another Vezina Trophy, that team had a world-class defensive corps and two-way forwards. $uck$...Darn flopper, acts like a fish out of water as soon as guys get near the top of the circles, what a clown.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to SICK ABOUT TT BASHING! : He stinks...He's a "me" player, shows it on numerous nights by retaliating. He's a respectable goalie, not great. I guarantee he will never come close to getting another Vezina Trophy, that team had a world-class defensive corps and two-way forwards. $uck$...Darn flopper, acts like a fish out of water as soon as guys get near the top of the circles, what a clown.
    Posted by xenimus

that world class D was nearly the same the following year minus Aaron Ward...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

TT winning the Vezina is like Jumbo Joe winning the Hart . It'll never happen again .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Pberg,
    Wasn't saying that, And I don't consider the bruins D to be world class. Just a counter point to xenimus saying thomas had one great year because of the D.. I am not arguing with you about rask potential ability.  I have nothing negative to say about him.   
    I just don't think there is any reason for people to bash thomas, and anyone who does really doesn't show a great understanding of the game, he is what he is.. He makes saves other goalies do not because he doesnt give up, and because he is unorthodoxed, he gives up goals other goalies wont for those same reasons.. But he has been effective, and is a capable starter.. Rask still has more to prove, not a knock on him, not a negative comment, but he needs to show he can come back, and he needs to handle the starters load and pressure before I would trade thomas, and even then I wouldnt be trading thomas because I don't think he can play, simply to manuever for cap space..

There is a difference coming in as the back up playing well and unofficially becoming the start then there is to being the starter...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neelybestallaround. Show Neelybestallaround's posts

In Response to SICK ABOUT TT BASHING! : He stinks...He's a "me" player, shows it on numerous nights by retaliating. He's a respectable goalie, not great. I guarantee he will never come close to getting another Vezina Trophy, that team had a world-class defensive corps and two-way forwards. $uck$...Darn flopper, acts like a fish out of water as soon as guys get near the top of the circles, what a clown.
    Posted by xenimus

OK X if TT is in the top 5 in 3 out of the 5 goalie stats? Will you shut your cake hole? Will you remove yourself from these forms & never be heard from again? Will you take SoxfaninIL with you? Or, are you one in the same? Your mentality & the drival you write seem to match.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

L 3 35 32 .914 0 0 59:08 2 1 0 0 Dec 30 '09   ATL @ BOS W 0 18 18 1.000 1 0 59:47 0 0 0 0 Dec 19 '09   BOS @ TOR L 2 31 29 .935 0 0 59:22 2 0 0 0 Dec 10 '09   TOR @ BOS W 2 34 32 .941 0 0 60:00 2 0 0 0 Dec 05 '09   TOR @ BOS W 2 33 31 .939 0 0 60:00 2 0 0 0 Dec 04 '09   BOS @ MTL   0 6 6 1.000 0 0 19:04 0 0 0 0 Nov 27 '09   NJD @ BOS O 1 37 36 .973 0 0 65:00 1 0 0 0 Nov 25 '09   BOS @ MIN W 1 29 28 .966 0 2 65:00 0 1 0 0 Nov 23 '09   BOS @ STL W 2 31 29 .935 0 0 59:17 2 0 0 0 Nov 20 '09   BOS @ BUF W 1 26 25 .962 0 0 60:15 0 1 0 0 Nov 19 '09   BOS @ ATL W 3 35 32 .914 0 0 65:00 2 1 0 0 Nov 16 '09   NYI @ BOS L 3 20 17 .850 0 0 59:37 3 0 0 1 Nov 07 '09   BUF @ BOS W 2 30 28 .933 0 0 59:53 2 0 0 0 Oct 31 '09   EDM @ BOS W 0 19 19 1.000 1 0 60:00 0 0 0 0 Oct 22 '09   BOS @ PHI O 3 39 36 .923 0 0 65:00 3 0 0 0 Oct 12 '09   COL @ BOS L 4 22 18 .818 0 0 59:28 1 2 1 0 Oct 10 '09   NYI @ BOS Ok until Jan 1st 2010 nine out of sixteen of Rask appearences 2009-2010 season were against non playoff teams.So he definately had padded stats last season.As well as pulling off the biggest choke in sports history!!!!
    Posted by notacryingwino
    Forgot to add the teams Rask didn't play before Jan. 1st 2010 last season.Washington,Pitt,Detroit,San Jose,Chicago.L.A.!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Am I dreaming?  A debate of who is the more effective goalie between TT and Rask is a joke.  Comparing Rask to flame out goalies like Lacher is another joke.
    Contracts aside, just looking at pure talent...I would bet there is not a single GM in the NHL that would prefer TT over Rask.  Call me a basher, call me anti TT, call me whatever.  Quote all the stats you want and spin the debate in whatever direction you want but at the end of the day my opinion is based my ability to use basic vision (yes I do wear glasses) and logic.  My eyes and brain tell me all I need to know.

Some are sick of TT bashing,  I am sick of reading stupidity. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Am I dreaming?  A debate of who is the more effective goalie between TT and Rask is a joke.  Comparing Rask to flame out goalies like Lacher is another joke. Contracts aside, just looking at pure talent...I would bet there is not a single GM in the NHL that would prefer TT over Rask.  Call me a basher, call me anti TT, call me whatever.  Quote all the stats you want and spin the debate in whatever direction you want but at the end of the day my opinion is based my ability to use basic vision (yes I do wear glasses) and logic.  My eyes and brain tell me all I need to know. Some are sick of TT bashing,  I am sick of reading stupidity. 
    Posted by misterpaulo

How about comparing Rask to Raycroft? issues with that comparison.

I agree I think most GMS would prefer rask over thomas, but if you were building a team simply for next year (you have to put the hip injury aside)  I think many GM's would take thomas, he has a proven track record, With rask there are still questions, its a simple matter of fact.  No one is bashing rask to my knoweldge, just defending TT.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsnut4. Show sportsnut4's posts

Sorry, can't support Thomas but I don't think he should be bashed either.  He did win a Vezina so obviously he has to be good.  It's his style of play that makes me nervous.  He is so unorthodox and scrambles and overcommits sometimes to a shooter that I almost hold my breath when a shot comes his way.  And I mean a shot from center ice.  On his knees a lot when the puck comes across his blue line.  He seems to guess.  I saw him play in Toronto 2 years ago and the Bruins won 4-1 and he was first star.  But people around me were laughing at his style as he was diving around and flopping but somehow stopping most shots.  I just have a confidence in a goalie that looks calm and collected and stays in the best position for a shot. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Sports,
    thats fair, and valid I don't think many have issues with a posting like that, I have said before I am not a thomas fan either (simply a biased because he doesnt look the part in my opinion) no real reason behind it.. But I appreciate what he has done for the team and do think he is a starting goalie in the NHL.
    I also think he is more proven and less of a gamble than rask at this point.

Keep in mind how floppy everyone thought hasek was as well though, especially compared to Roy and Brodeur.. He did ok..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Re: SICK ABOUT TT BASHING! : OK X if TT is in the top 5 in 3 out of the 5 goalie stats? Will you shut your cake hole? Will you remove yourself from these forms & never be heard from again? Will you take SoxfaninIL with you? Or, are you one in the same? Your mentality & the drival you write seem to match.
    Posted by Neelybestallaround

Obviously my strategical literature devices worked, where they were enough to boil you over. Not that i was being facetious or anything, they are facts but written purposely in an irritating way. You sound as if you had 100 army ants crawling in your @nu$ while replying. If you did not know, I am one of the most respected bloggers on here. I speak directly on opinion and facts. TT is not a savior, and he's not a True number 1 goaltender. Anyone can have one great year and 4 other seasons where they are respectable. Sorry to burst your bubble, not saying you have to turn in your divorce papers to an attorney for TT... It's just a blog forum, take your psycho-like attitude and stick up where the sun don't shine.