Sign Mcgrattan!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Sign Mcgrattan!

For the simple reason we sign Mcgrattan to a two way contract. Just incase Thornton get an injury/ softens up we call up Mcgrattan and with Reich and Mcgrattan in prov. these two players will maintain and protect the young players. Reich and Mcgrattan will be two excellent capts. and no young player will get out of hand with these two between periods to tell the them the way it is and toughen them up. Yes, Mcgrattan draws penalties more then Thornton but if a similar incident occurs ie Cooke at least with Mcgrattan in the line up he will not hesistate to reinforce the problem.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Re: Sign Mcgrattan!

I agree with you a 100 percent. I always like to have 2 enforcers on the team,Thorton and mcgrattan should both be one this team one way or another, Just to protect the younger players so nobody will get cheap shot again like savard did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

I have no problem with the Bs signing McGrattan. I do have a problem with them signing him & keeping Shawn Thornton. Why did they sign Shawn Thornton in the offseason again to a raise nonetheless? What is his job?

It makes absolutely zero sense to have two pylons in your lineup just to say you got a tough team. Thornton is supposedly a good guy in the room. Like Gretzky said before " then keep him in the room because he ain't helping us on the ice."

I understand the role they play is needed to protect the top players. But to be paying 2 guys against the cap to do the same job is pretty redundent IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

The value of 2 enforcers cannot be taken lightly.

Cam Neely could have used 2 enforcers and Samuelsson would never have done what he did. But, Sinden got rid of Jay Miller to bring in Lyndon Byers, and then got rid of Byers to bring in Chris Nilan. Any of the two would have lengthened Cam's career.

Krejci, Bergeron and Seguin need the threat of two enforcers for their health and the well-being of the team. Savard could have used it, too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I totally agree that McGrattan would be a good presence in Providence, and when the injury bug hits he ciould add a frightening presence to the B's as a call-up. I don't see why two enforcers in the pipe would be a bad thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Amen to signing McGrattan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

In Response to Re: Sign Mcgrattan!:
    [QUOTE]I have no problem with the Bs signing McGrattan. I do have a problem with them signing him & keeping Shawn Thornton. Why did they sign Shawn Thornton in the offseason again to a raise nonetheless? What is his job? It makes absolutely zero sense to have two pylons in your lineup just to say you got a tough team. Thornton is supposedly a good guy in the room. Like Gretzky said before " then keep him in the room because he ain't helping us on the ice." I understand the role they play is needed to protect the top players. But to be paying 2 guys against the cap to do the same job is pretty redundent IMO.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]

Then sign McGrattan to a two-way and play him in Providence to protect the younger guys and be available for a call-up should things get silly against, say, the Leafs ... as has been said many times by many thinkers, here.

Protect Seguin and Krejci and Caron and protect the future of the team.

By the way, wasn't it the Great One who took McSorely with him when he moved to the big city in L.A.?  McSorely must have been extra very good in the room because he wasn't so great on the ice.

Bobby Orr should have carried the flag into the Vancouver Olympics.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNationNorth. Show BruinsNationNorth's posts

Wholeheartedly agree. McGrattan will be a necessity this season as a call-up for dealing with the likes of Boogaard, Orr, Shelley just to name a few. The East has started to pile up with heavyweights. Thornton adds alot more to the team in terms of a 4th line every day energy player that can chip in here and there, but let's face it: he doesn't imtimidate anybody. I can't see any of the heavyweights in the league being nervous about going into the Garden and fighting Thornton. McGrattan at least has the respect of his fellow goons, and can KO any one of them on any given night. It gives the B's an added element of ferocity and besides, who doesn't love it when a couple heavyweights start the stare-down at the face-off dot and give a nod to each other in agreement? "Drop the puck it's time to go!!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

I would not sign McGratten. He has no offensive skill whatsoever. All the guy can do is fight and take stupid penalties. I don't want him in the lineup over players who can help the teams in multiple ways. McGrattan would hurt the team more than he would help them

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

After seeing Colton Orr knock out McGrattan last year I do not want to give Leaf fans any opportunity to boast.  So if we are going to sign a tough guy lets get the toughest there is.

In Response to Sign Mcgrattan!:
    [QUOTE] For the simple reason we sign Mcgrattan to a two way contract. Just incase Thornton get an injury/ softens up we call up Mcgrattan and with Reich and Mcgrattan in prov. these two players will maintain and protect the young players. Reich and Mcgrattan will be two excellent capts. and no young player will get out of hand with these two between periods to tell the them the way it is and toughen them up. Yes, Mcgrattan draws penalties more then Thornton but if a similar incident occurs ie Cooke at least with Mcgrattan in the line up he will not hesistate to reinforce the problem.
    Posted by Canbostondoit[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]After seeing Colton Orr knock out McGrattan last year I do not want to give Leaf fans any opportunity to boast.  So if we are going to sign a tough guy lets get the toughest there is. In Response to Sign Mcgrattan! :
    Posted by mattbs[/QUOTE]

With respect, would you rather see Orr knock out Lucic, or see Lucic tempted to stand up to big Colton again?  I wouldn't ... and that's no knock on Lucic's toughness at all.  But if Lucic is hurt by Orr again ... talk about a boasting moment ... I'd rather see McGrattan do the dirty work and have Lucic on the ice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Okay, let's call this the "McGrattan Tough-Guy Challenge"

Think back over the past few seasons, and try to remember well-acknowledged cheap-shots.  If you can provide video evidence, that is preferable. 

Report the incident, and report the designated enforcer on the victim's team.  I want to see if the teams with these kinds of players really are less likely to suffer from "liberties" than teams with less intimidating tough-guys.

I'll get this started with the obvious one:
    Cooke takes out Savard, March 7th, Shawn Thornton.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Don Cherry days we had Wensink for a few reasons too fight, make a presence at the front of net and clean things when nobody else would. The Big Bad Bruins can keep the name and still win games. Don Cherry's idea worked putting tough guys in front of the net to intimdate goalies and d men and get a lucky bounce for a rebound goal. Don't need much talent for that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

I know this is not the topic but Cherry's team of '77-'78 finished at 51-18-11 for 113 points.  They were 3rd in the league in goals scored (333) and 5th in the league in goals conceded.  They finished 1st in the Adams division, smoked the Hawks and Flyers and lost to the Hated Habs in the Finals. 

Consider the following:

O'Reilly - 211 PIM
    Cashman (age 32) - 69 PIM
    Schmautz (age 32) - 87 PIM
    Jonathan - 116 PIM
    Wensink - 181 PIM
    Milbury - 151 PIM

Cherry has said that Bobby Schmautz was the nuttiest one of them all.

Rough, tough, and good.  Different era, I know, but they were feared and they went out and almost won the whole damn thing.  What's wrong with a little intimidation to let our young players play?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Don Cherry days we had Wensink for a few reasons too fight, make a presence at the front of net and clean things when nobody else would. The Big Bad Bruins can keep the name and still win games. Don Cherry's idea worked putting tough guys in front of the net to intimdate goalies and d men and get a lucky bounce for a rebound goal. Don't need much talent for that.
    Posted by Canbostondoit[/QUOTE]

When was the last time Don Cherry coached in the NHL?

It's a different game, a different style, and a different salary structure. Most teams (other than the New York Rangers) can't afford to waste money and a roster spot on a goon. If you want an "enforcer," he's got to be able to play as well.

Of course putting guys in front of the net to screen the goalie (you don't have to "intimidate" him - just plant your behind in front of his face) is a good idea, but it does indeed take talent to tip point blasts and pick up rebounds. And you don't have to be a tough guy (i.e. a goon) to do so - the best in the business is probably Tomas Holmstrom, who's not exactly Boogard (667 PIM in 879 NHL games). Unless you're talking tough as in brave, because he certainly is.   

Bottom line, unless McGrattan can prove his worth as an all-around player who can also contribute with his fists, he's not worth it. The Bruins are not a bunch of weaklings in need of a boogey man. Thornton, Chara, Lucic, Stuart, Boychuk, Horton, Seidenberg, heck even Bergeron, Ference and "One-punch Munch" Hunwick can take care of themselves and their teammates.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigcityrunner. Show bigcityrunner's posts

B's definitely need a 2nd enforcer.My choice would have been john Scott but the b's missed out.Mcgratton actually got the better of Mcintyre last year no easy feat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wilsondogg. Show wilsondogg's posts

[QUOTE]I have no problem with the Bs signing McGrattan. I do have a problem with them signing him & keeping Shawn Thornton. Why did they sign Shawn Thornton in the offseason again to a raise nonetheless? What is his job? It makes absolutely zero sense to have two pylons in your lineup just to say you got a tough team. Thornton is supposedly a good guy in the room. Like Gretzky said before " then keep him in the room because he ain't helping us on the ice." I understand the role they play is needed to protect the top players. But to be paying 2 guys against the cap to do the same job is pretty redundent IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wilsondogg. Show wilsondogg's posts

Newfie, this is why the OP specified a two-way contract.  Pay attention.  And Thornton is far from a pylon. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Wow, I can't believe what I'm reading. This is a different era. Goons have no place in the NHL other than to fight the other teams goon. Mcgrattan does not have NHL caliber skills whatsoever. We already have one useless pylon (Thornton). We don't need another one.

If your going to sign an enforcer, it should be an enforcer who can also play hockey. In fact, Thornton should really only dress when the bruins play philly, nyr, toronto, maybe pitt and montreal thats it. Otherwise, he should be in the press box

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, I can't believe what I'm reading. This is a different era. Goons have no place in the NHL other than to fight the other teams goon. Mcgrattan does not have NHL caliber skills whatsoever. We already have one useless pylon (Thornton). We don't need another one. If your going to sign an enforcer, it should be an enforcer who can also play hockey. In fact, Thornton should really only dress when the bruins play philly, nyr, toronto, maybe pitt and montreal thats it. Otherwise, he should be in the press box
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE]

Thornton in the press box except for against Philly, Leafs, Rangers, and "maybe" Pittsburgh and Montreal?  That should work wonders for team chemistry, eh?

McGrattan on a two-way in Providence, as has been said many many times on many many different posts here, and used as a call up versus Philly, Leafs, Rangers ...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Mcgrattan! : Then sign McGrattan to a two-way and play him in Providence to protect the younger guys and be available for a call-up should things get silly against, say, the Leafs ... as has been said many times by many thinkers, here. Protect Seguin and Krejci and Caron and protect the future of the team. By the way, wasn't it the Great One who took McSorely with him when he moved to the big city in L.A.?  McSorely must have been extra very good in the room because he wasn't so great on the ice. Bobby Orr should have carried the flag into the Vancouver Olympics.
    Posted by huscroft28[/QUOTE]

Speaking of dual enforcers -- #99 also had one Dave Semenko there just in case.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In Response to Re: Sign Mcgrattan!:]After seeing Colton Orr knock out McGrattan last year I do not want to give Leaf fans any opportunity to boast.  So if we are going to sign a tough guy lets get the toughest there is. In Response to Sign Mcgrattan! :
    Posted by mattbs[/QUOTE]

Too late -- the B's already let Colton Orr go and the Boogyman was slurped up by the Rangers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Mcgrattan! : Thornton in the press box except for against Philly, Leafs, Rangers, and "maybe" Pittsburgh and Montreal?  That should work wonders for team chemistry, eh? McGrattan on a two-way in Providence, as has been said many many times on many many different posts here, and used as a call up versus Philly, Leafs, Rangers ...
    Team chemistry??? Shawn Thornton doesnt bring anything to the on ice product for the bruins. He doesnt hit well, he doesnt skate well, he's a defensive liability. I respect guys like him because they have a good work ethic and all, but they are just not good enough to consistently play in the NHL. Sitting thornton in the press box will hardly affect team chemistry.

Mcgrattan would be no different. You guys overestimate the value of goons

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Mcgrattan! : Thornton in the press box except for against Philly, Leafs, Rangers, and "maybe" Pittsburgh and Montreal?  That should work wonders for team chemistry, eh? McGrattan on a two-way in Providence, as has been said many many times on many many different posts here, and used as a call up versus Philly, Leafs, Rangers ...

You can't move a veteran player like McGrattan up and down from the AHL like that. He'd have to pass through waivers, both coming and going. That's what waivers are for - to protect these guys from being jerked around. And if some team wants to pick him up on the return trip, the Bruins would be liable for half his salary, which counts against the cap.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Mcgrattan! : You can't move a veteran player like McGrattan up and down from the AHL like that. He'd have to pass through waivers, both coming and going. That's what waivers are for - to protect these guys from being jerked around. And if some team wants to pick him up on the return trip, the Bruins would be liable for half his salary, which counts against the cap.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]
    Not on a 2-way contract. Mcgrattan would have to accept a 2 way contract if he wants any chance to get a contract from boston. He would be in providence most of the year, but you never know with claude...