Sign Mcgrattan!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Re: Sign Mcgrattan!

I did not think this postin g would get responds from others'. This always a big issue in the new modern league. Is there a place for enforcers in this league, I would say YES. Their presence is essential when the game gets out of hand or the team needs a spark plug.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: Sign Mcgrattan!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Mcgrattan! : Not on a 2-way contract. Mcgrattan would have to accept a 2 way contract if he wants any chance to get a contract from boston. He would be in providence most of the year, but you never know with claude...
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE]
    A two-way contract simply means he earns a different salary in the AHL than the NHL.  The waiver rules are set in the CBA and apply to all players.  At his age, he would have to clear waivers.

*grumbles that no one took up the McGrattan Tough-Guy Challange.

Edit:  In case you want to see for yourself, http://www.nhlpa.com/About-Us/CBA/
    The relavant table is on page 66.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Mcgrattan! : A two-way contract simply means he earns a different salary in the AHL than the NHL.  The waiver rules are set in the CBA and apply to all players.  At his age, he would have to clear waivers. *grumbles that no one took up the McGrattan Tough-Guy Challange.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

What DrCC said. "Two-way contract" just means a player gets paid, say, $250,000 if he's in the NHL, $85,000 if he's in the AHL.

Waivers are determined based on service time - three years since signing an NHL contract, or 180 NHL games played. McGrattan qualifies on both counts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from katodog. Show katodog's posts

The "McGrattan Tough-Guy Challenge" makes no sense

If the teams with these kinds of players really are less likely to suffer from "liberties" than teams with less intimidating tough-guys then you wont find any video examples or any other examples because the "liberties" were never taken in the first place.

What would give some indication is to look at each team's loss of players due to injuries which were related to "liberties" and who those teams have as "these kinds of players" and compare the results by team.  You would of course have to have a definition of what constitutes a "liberty" and a metric for ranking the "these kinds of players".  That is way too much work for me so I'll leave you to it.

What you have suggested will only prove that teams *with* "these kinds of players" suffer from other teams' "liberites" at a 1:1 ratio which gives a 100% correlation from which you would predict that all teams with "these kinds of players" are going to suffer form "liberties" and that teams without "these kinds of players" never suffer from "liberties".  That conclusion is obviously erroneous.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]The "McGrattan Tough-Guy Challenge" makes no sense If the teams with these kinds of players really are less likely to suffer from "liberties" than teams with less intimidating tough-guys then you wont find any video examples or any other examples because the "liberties" were never taken in the first place. What would give some indication is to look at each team's loss of players due to injuries which were related to "liberties" and who those teams have as "these kinds of players" and compare the results by team.  You would of course have to have a definition of what constitutes a "liberty" and a metric for ranking the "these kinds of players".  That is way too much work for me so I'll leave you to it. What you have suggested will only prove that teams *with* "these kinds of players" suffer from other teams' "liberites" at a 1:1 ratio which gives a 100% correlation from which you would predict that all teams with "these kinds of players" are going to suffer form "liberties" and that teams without "these kinds of players" never suffer from "liberties".  That conclusion is obviously erroneous.
    Posted by katodog[/QUOTE]

You are thinking too black-and-white.  I am sorry if my original post made it seem that was what I was looking for.  What I want to get a feel for is the quality of the team's enforcer as it correlates with hits that are viewed by consensus as dirty.  In other words, of the incidents of the past couple of seasons, were teams with truly feared fighters such as Orr and Boogard generally safer than teams with little-known or less-competent fighters?

I simply am not someone that can remember these things, and I know there are fans around here that pay much more attention to the NHL in general than I do.  That is why I asked, to ese if anyone remembers any good examples.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Mcgrattan! : You are thinking too black-and-white.  I am sorry if my original post made it seem that was what I was looking for.  What I want to get a feel for is the quality of the team's enforcer as it correlates with hits that are viewed by consensus as dirty.  In other words, of the incidents of the past couple of seasons, were teams with truly feared fighters such as Orr and Boogard generally safer than teams with little-known or less-competent fighters? I simply am not someone that can remember these things, and I know there are fans around here that pay much more attention to the NHL in general than I do.  That is why I asked, to ese if anyone remembers any good examples.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Why not get down to the real bottom line, i.e. how crucial is a "goon", i.e. brawler, to a Stanley Cup winning team? Who was the designated goon for Detroit? Pittsburgh? Chicago? Who's Boogard played for? The Wild. Orr? The Rangers. Wow, they've made a huge difference in their teams' success, haven't they? Real critical to winning that Cup.

Sorry, this isn't directed at you. I just get irritated at the "the Bruins need a goon!" assertion from so many. No, they don't. They're not a bunch of hothouse flowers who need a big bad boy to watch out for them. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Well, well.  Seguin, Caron, Reich, AND McGrattan in tonight's lineup vs. Montreal.  You think Julien's taking any chances with the safety of the young guys?  Smart move.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

To be honest, it appears that good NHL teams do not need a "goon" in the current skills/speed based NHL. Players coming from College have not beenallowed to become fighters; Players from Sweden and most other European/Russian leagues are not encouraged to be "fighters". Canadian Juniors are enforcing tougher rules to eliminate "fighters". Toughness, like  a Stan Jonathon, terry O'Rielly, or Cam Neely is a totally different attribute, and welcome/needed on most teams. The Bruins have Recchi, Bergeron,Lucic,Horton, Campbell,Chara, Boychuck,Stuart And McQuaid. All possessing "toughness" as part of their NHL makeup. From all reports, Seguin, Caron, and others seem to have the same element in their game. IMO, this Bruins team does not need either Thornton or McGratton since their Hockey skills have not been noticeable. Both seem to be " good guys in the room", but not much else

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I see no need for Mcgratten, The bruins have Thornton, Reich, and in the wings Lane Mcdermid..

There is no need for an "nhl" heavy weight anymore if the guy can't play, The NHL leader in fights last year case in point Ian lapierre, plays a regular shift like thornton, throws down often...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNationNorth. Show BruinsNationNorth's posts

Ok, so answer me this: Colton Orr runs Tyler Seguin from behind and knocks him unconscious. The B's obviously NEED to respond to that immediately. No Thornton or McGrattan in the lineup to do so because they're not "skilled" enough. So you want Looch or Chara to step up and throw down with Orr, and risk breaking a finger, wrist, nose, orbital bone, hell or even worse wind up with a (gasp) concussion??? What if it's a week before playoffs? The way I see it, there is an absolute need to have these guys in the lineup. You need a scrapper that's expendable but useful. Preferably 2 if possible, with one in the "A". Hey, if there were no more Boogaards or Orrs etc in the league I would agree, but this is real hockey, not a video game, there's still fighting, and correct me if I'm wrong but the Garden looks pretty damn energized when there's a scrap. Have you ever been on a competitive hockey team and felt the bench lift when your "guy" beats the crap out of the other team's "guy"? Don't even begin to tell me it doesn't make a difference because it does, I've been at both ends of that feeling. The playoffs are a different animal, the goons take a back seat and it becomes a battle of guts and toughness, but you need to get there first, and if you get pushed around and beat up all season long you aren't gonna last in the spring. My opinion, I'll shut up now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, so answer me this: Colton Orr runs Tyler Seguin from behind and knocks him unconscious. The B's obviously NEED to respond to that immediately. No Thornton or McGrattan in the lineup to do so because they're not "skilled" enough. So you want Looch or Chara to step up and throw down with Orr, and risk breaking a finger, wrist, nose, orbital bone, hell or even worse wind up with a (gasp) concussion??? What if it's a week before playoffs? The way I see it, there is an absolute need to have these guys in the lineup. You need a scrapper that's expendable but useful. Preferably 2 if possible, with one in the "A". Hey, if there were no more Boogaards or Orrs etc in the league I would agree, but this is real hockey, not a video game, there's still fighting, and correct me if I'm wrong but the Garden looks pretty damn energized when there's a scrap. Have you ever been on a competitive hockey team and felt the bench lift when your "guy" beats the crap out of the other team's "guy"? Don't even begin to tell me it doesn't make a difference because it does, I've been at both ends of that feeling. The playoffs are a different animal, the goons take a back seat and it becomes a battle of guts and toughness, but you need to get there first, and if you get pushed around and beat up all season long you aren't gonna last in the spring. My opinion, I'll shut up now.
    Posted by BruinsNationNorth[/QUOTE]

When is the last time a "goon" ran a skilled player??

The most questionable hits in the league last season where probably thrown by ovechkin, richards and cooke..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Mcgrattan! : When is the last time a "goon" ran a skilled player?? The most questionable hits in the league last season where probably thrown by ovechkin, richards and cooke..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    A bigger question:  if Orr decided to do that, would ending up having to fight Mike Tyson stop him? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Mcgrattan! : When is the last time a "goon" ran a skilled player?? The most questionable hits in the league last season where probably thrown by ovechkin, richards and cooke..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Good point.

Also, the Richards and Cooke hits would today result in a suspension; Ovechkin's already has.

The point is, everybody understands the need for players to police the game. The problem is, with the salary cap and the consequent need to make every roster spot count, a good team that spends to the cap (i.e. Red Wings, Blackhawks, Bruins, Canucks) simply cannot afford to carry a guy who does nothing but fight. This isn't the 1970s. Times have changed.