So Kovalchuk....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

So Kovalchuk....

Chooked !  This guys wants to be paid the most in the NHL ??? 10M a year ???
    That was one costly rental. 
    Imagine Chiarelli would have gave in and gave T.O.'s first round pick and a couple other players ??? OMG , I would be one pissed off guy.  Basically that is what Waddel wanted.
    Who's having the last laugh now ?
    See ,  all those wasted thread on getting this guy in a trade ... ridiculous.
    These are the best trades that never happen. Another point for Chiarelli.

BTW Devils are out of the playoffs.  That's a good thing for Bruin fans.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikehawkislong69. Show mikehawkislong69's posts

Re: So Kovalchuk....

I dont think its fair to criticize kovalchuk like that. He had 2 goals and 4 assissts in 5 games. The great marty brodeur was outplayed by brian boucher. Langenbrunner had 1 point. Neither elias nor zajac scored a goal. parise only scored 1 goal. The entire devils as a team just were outplayed by philly.

Also, nobody really knows why kvalchuk turnded down the mega offers by atl. Maybe he just didnt like playing in atlanta. if kovalchuk is a selfish player, we wont find out until july 1st

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I chooked on a ham sandwich once too LoL! Lamoriello has to be fuming right now. Funny Kovalchuk made a comment to the media that this would not be his last game in Jersey uniform. I guess that's a half hearted attempt at a Messier guarantee.

I don't think Ilya is worth 100Mil and I don't think any GM especially Lamoriello is going to pay Kovalchuk that much maybe the KHL but then Ilya would have a home he just built in Atlanta just sitting there.

Having said that I would still like to see Savard and Ilya reunited if PC could shift some money. Lotsa ifs and Kovalchuk would have to to take a pay cut the first year then bulk up the middle of the contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

I agree that you can't point just at Kovalchuk, but he would have been a very costly rental. And if the Bruins would have resigned him, would the juice be worth the squeeze? He's very good, and a scorer, but he is not Ovechkin, Crosby, or Malkin, and that's how he wants to be paid. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: So Kovalchuk....:
    I chooked on a ham sandwich once too LoL! Lamoriello has to be fuming right now. Posted by SanDogBrewin

LOL... chooked (choked) But chooked rymes with Kovalchuk,  LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Come on guys ... it took Kovalchuk 10 games to score his first goal with NJ.  He has very good talent but he's easily controlled.
    Remember the game against the Bruins where he tried and do everything himself, then lst the puck,  tried to stand up Bergy and Bergy scores in OT ?
    Well that's what he did the whole series against Philly. I know he only scored his 1st goal in the series on a 5 on 3 on game 3 but don't know where his 2nd goal came. Players that are worth 10M, Crosby-Ovy each 5 goals and Malkin 4.
    Hey Ryder has 2 goals.
    He can't and will never carry a team ! He's just a good regular season player that racks up points. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Elias was invisible.  If he showed up for this series, the Devils might have had a chance.  And, Brodeur just wasn't the goalie we've all been use to seeing in the playoffs.  Tough one for the Dev's, but it wasn't Kovy's fault.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikehawkislong69. Show mikehawkislong69's posts

Come on guys ... it took Kovalchuk 10 games to score his first goal with NJ.  He has very good talent but he's easily controlled. Remember the game against the Bruins where he tried and do everything himself, then lst the puck,  tried to stand up Bergy and Bergy scores in OT ? Well that's what he did the whole series against Philly. I know he only scored his 1st goal in the series on a 5 on 3 on game 3 but don't know where his 2nd goal came. Players that are worth 10M, Crosby-Ovy each 5 goals and Malkin 4. Hey Ryder has 2 goals. He can't and will never carry a team ! He's just a good regular season player that racks up points. 
    Posted by BsLegion

you dont know if he wants 10 million. Answer this B's legion, pick either a or b

a)sign a mega deal and stay in a city with the worst attendance, never win a stanley cup in your career, and never really get in the spotlight

b)turn down a lot of money for a chance to win a cup

Im not saying kovalchuk definately wont be looking for 10 mill- we will find out on july 1st. Im just saying just because he turned down those mega offers from atl, doesnt necessarily mean hes lookin for 10 mill

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Somehow, I expected this from Kovalchoke

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Come on guys ... it took Kovalchuk 10 games to score his first goal with NJ.  He has very good talent but he's easily controlled. Remember the game against the Bruins where he tried and do everything himself, then lst the puck,  tried to stand up Bergy and Bergy scores in OT ? Well that's what he did the whole series against Philly. I know he only scored his 1st goal in the series on a 5 on 3 on game 3 but don't know where his 2nd goal came. Players that are worth 10M, Crosby-Ovy each 5 goals and Malkin 4. Hey Ryder has 2 goals. He can't and will never carry a team ! He's just a good regular season player that racks up points. 
    Posted by BsLegion

You make a very important point BsLegion- Kovy does not guarantee anything and  any team that signs him should be careful not to mortgage the farm for him. 

This player could help Bos or any other team with  goal scoring troubles but it is important not to sacrifice too much for him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

I was unimpressed by his play. Too fancy. Devils coach was dumb to have him play at the point in the pp. He should have played wing so he can be able to snap shots in

Not a big fan of how he plays. He is much like Kessel. Some dumb team will offer him 7 to 9 mill a year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

When everyone was saying that the Bruins should have gotten him i was saying pass because he is a looser.  He prooved me right byt not bringing his team to the next level.  I don't care about goals who don't mean nothing.   If you are ao dominant you should score the ting goal or winning goal once in every then.

People where saying that the Devils did not give anything good...i have to disagree just Bergfors will be very good player and not only for one year!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikehawkislong69. Show mikehawkislong69's posts

Somehow, I expected this from Kovalchoke
    Posted by beantowngm15

How did he choke. He led his team in points. Not his fault that the all mighty martin brodeur got out played the whole series by a 3rd string goalie in boucher 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Stop calling Brodeur great.

That's like addressing Bill Clinton as "President" or Jesse Ventura as "Governor" even though they are long out of that position.

Brodeur *was* great. Now he's not.

And now that I'm getting into it, let me again point out that he wasn't THAT great. He benefitted from a great sytem. Take him out and put someone else in (Clemmenson last year) and they do just as well. Put Brodeur in a different system, and he collapses (Olympics)

He's past his prime. 3 years out in 1st round.

Time to look to the future, Lou

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Kovalchuk= Puck hog.. you don't win with those type of selfish players..All I saw in the games with Phily was him trying to take the puck thru everyone and not utilizing his teammates and getting nowhere.. Pronger neutralized him very well... Completely threw off Parise's and Elia's game...That is not how the Devils play.. They play as a team very well , could not adapt to the individualism that is Kovalchuk...He had an empty net goal and one PP goal ? Big Whoop!!   Thanks for coming out..  Bad trade for Jersey and they paid for it.. Looks good on Lamoriello.. If he would have kept Bergfors and Oduya he would have been farther ahead..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Kovalchuk= Puck hog.. you don't win with those type of selfish players..All I saw in the games with Phily was him trying to take the puck thru everyoneand not utilizing his teammates and getting nowhere.. Pronger neutralized him very well... Completely threw off Parise's and Elia's game...That is not how the Devils play.. They play as a team very well , could not adapt to the individualism that is Kovalchuk...He had an empty net goal and one PP goal ? Big Whoop!!   Thanks for coming out..  Bad trade for Jersey and they paid for it.. Looks good on Lamoriello.. If he would have kept Bergfors and Oduya he would have been farther ahead..
    Posted by cowboys9

Exactly my point ! Don't forget NJ also gave up their 1st round draft pick .
    That's what I was explaining,  he did the same the last game against the Bruins and Bruins took away the puck and socred the OT winner. 
    and to answer mikehawkislong69   It's neither A) or B).  Sure he wants to win a cup but he also wants the money and he'll end up somewhere at West where he'll clog a young teams cap and they'll have trouble signing their young players in the future.
    You say how do I know ? Well I had a conversation with his x-coach, Bob Hartley, which still in contact with him from time to time.  The team from his hometown, in the KHL,  put in his head he's worth over 10M a year. They may never sign him but the damage has been done.
    You're correct, I can't be certain he'll sign for 10M but after the playoffs he had (leading that team in playoffs with 2 goals not that good) and how he played teams will not break the bank for him.  His asking price will drop unless some team in KHL makes him an offer he can't refuse.
    He did turn down 100M for 10 years, it was made public and he never denied it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

I mean, New Jersey needed a center--they are a team full of wings. They didn't need more scorers at the deadline, they needed a distributer.

Notable Wings:
    Zach Parise
    Ilya Kovalchuk
    Patrik Elias

Notable Centers:
    Zajack? please... You  don't surround Kovy, Parise and Elias with Zajack. He's a second line center imo

On another note, I hope edmonton fails to acknowledge this. I'm really thinking Seguin's the better pick with higher upside. I think I'd rather a franchise center than a wing.

You build hockey teams down the middle, New Jersey failed to notice the blatant historical make-up of winning teams

**You can't blame Kovalchuk for playing on a team without a legit #1 center. This is a case of an imbalanced line-up. New jersey's model in drafting and trades is talent /> Position. I think they need to reconsider

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Boston is already set down the middle

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

I am implying that we make a trade

Savard & Seguin & Bergeron

reminds me* of

Crosby & Malkin & Staal

I'm not saying Seguin is better than Savard, but he's gonna be better than Bergeron and Krejci.. However, that doesn't mean that Bergeron or Krejci is bad--in fact, they have a TON of trade value. You could definately trade one of them for a excellent winger (might require an additional pick). I would prefer the Bruins trade Krejci, but I dunno.

BLAH.. I'm overthinking it because it's late.. Now i'm back thinking about Hall

*(i recognize talent differences, i'm just pointing out successful teams are strong down the middle) and other than the pens, what team would have better centers?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Kovalchuk looked like a bad fit when the Devils traded for him.  I thought that maybe Lamiorello had another rabbit in his hat, but not this time. 

Yet another example of how the importance of chemistry cannot be overstated.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikehawkislong69. Show mikehawkislong69's posts

i disagree, Zajac is a great center & playmaker....keeps getting better every year.... NJ hurt their defensive system getting rid of Oduya...he was a very good point man as well...and i keep going back to a Mike Milbury conversation he had about Kovalchuk before the deal....he talked about in the NHL each team has a system and it takes time to learn the system, similar to the NFL....when you bring a guy like Kovvy in 2/3 of the season or so, especially to a NJ team that eat and sleeps defense, its not an easy transition...Kovvy plays a very different game and it showed because he would carry the puck up the ice all by himself tons of times... he needs to be with a high-flying offense...actually his line in Atlanta was one of the top scoring lines this year with him, Antropov, and Afinogenov....they were playing great offensive hockey.... he needs to be on a line like that for him to really be that elite player....his NJ linemates just didnt fit his game... he wont re-sign there....my guess hes going home to Russia or he will go to a team like Detroit where he can be with fellow Russian Datsyuk....i think Detroit may go for him...
    Posted by morphosis1974

totally agree with your post morph. My money is on the rangers to unload some bad contracts(redden,roszival,drury) and then give ilya that mega deal he wants

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Kovalchuk was acquired for one reason only . To be the final piece for the Devils to win the Cup. Players like Kovy and Kessel get their goals and assists . But does this equate to wins and making everyone around them better ? Apparently not based on the final results for these two. Just glad PC didn't mortgage the farm to get him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanuckBruin. Show CanuckBruin's posts

Bottom line is that they took him because they felt they had a good chance at going a few rounds in the post season.........

Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Kovalchuk was acquired for one reason only . To be the final piece for the Devils to win the Cup. Players like Kovy and Kessel get their goals and assists . But does this equate to wins and making everyone around them better ? Apparently not based on the final results for these two. Just glad PC didn't mortgage the farm to get him.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

That's what I like about you,  straight to the point ,  it took you 50 words to say what I'm trying to say in 200. LOL. 
    Again, I'm not taking away the talent this guy has but to want the big bucks you're the player that has to make the players around yoU better not the other way around otherwise it's the same discussion as Joe Thornton, he needs to be surrounded by better players.  We all know how that ends.

P.S. Ols I know you were watching the Sharks last nite LOL.
    BTW Pens-Sens OT was not as back and forth exciting as the Bruins-Sabres the other nite. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Watching Kovalchuk play last night I noticed this guy plays to much like a pond hockey player, I don't care how much skill he has he doesn't seem to realize he has 19 other players around him.For all the Kovalchuk lovers can keep him he's not worth the trouble.

Sections
Shortcuts