Sobotka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Sobotka

Sobotka at the end of the Philly series seemed unhappy playing wing on the third line preferring a center position on the fourth line. Do you think this is a position he will except or will he want more. Personally I always saw him as a third line checking/energy center, although his +/- was not that impressive.

If he does come back as a fourth line center what would be a realistic contract extension? He was earning $.8M in the contract that just expired. Does he deserve more or do you think he can be extended at the same rate?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Sobotka

In Response to Sobotka:
    Sobotka at the end of the Philly series seemed unhappy playing wing on the third line preferring a center position on the fourth line. Do you think this is a position he will except or will he want more. Personally I always saw him as a third line checking/energy center, although his +/- was not that impressive. If he does come back as a fourth line center what would be a realistic contract extension? He was earning $.8M in the contract that just expired. Does he deserve more or do you think he can be extended at the same rate?
    Posted by captainbergeron

What makes you think he was unhappy?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

CB, and NAS,
    I don't think Sobotka plays as well on the wing, I don't know if its a happiness thing, as much as a comfort thing.. He has alot more experience at center, and has been more successful at it. Maybe he prefers starting the play in the zone, or coming across the middle, or having guys set up in front of him etc.. Maybe part of it is EGO..
    I don't think his plus/minus is a good indicator, some of that is just youth, lack of experience, and  his linemates..  and I honestly think he will develop better with a team that has greater need at center, his game is more natural as a scoring center who finishes his checks etc.. (I think he would love to project into a bergeron role)

As far as the re-up, I think he would sign a 1 way deal for 2 years at 1.6 mill yes..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Under the CBA qualifying offers must be 10% more than the previous year. Yes Vlad has a huge EGO and also correct is he'll be signed to a 2 way contract probably just for one year though IMO he hasn't earned 2 year deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

Sobotka has had his chance to show his stuff and hasn't showed as much as we would like. The Bruins have all the centres they need and Sobotka will not be signed for next season. The Bruins have other more talented players with more skill and should be in the lineup before Vadi. We can't sign everyone and he is one of the non scorers that will be gone along with Begin, Wheeler, Ryder, Satan, Ference and Hunwick. The Bruins need speed and scoring wingers so these types of players should all be gone so improvements can be made and cap space for these improvements can happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hARRIS666. Show hARRIS666's posts

Not a good player...let him go...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Two words about Sobotka by the end of the series: Dislocated Shoulder.

In Response to Sobotka:
    Sobotka at the end of the Philly series seemed unhappy playing wing on the third line preferring a center position on the fourth line. Do you think this is a position he will except or will he want more. Personally I always saw him as a third line checking/energy center, although his +/- was not that impressive. If he does come back as a fourth line center what would be a realistic contract extension? He was earning $.8M in the contract that just expired. Does he deserve more or do you think he can be extended at the same rate?
    Posted by captainbergeron

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Ok, unhappy was a poor choice of words, but roler is on the right track to what I meant. He was offered a third line wing position in the philly series and opted instead to play fourth line center after one game at wing. Can you see him playing a fulltime position next year on he fourth line, or would he prefer to move on to another team with more of a need at the center position.

Good call SanDog I didn't relies RFA needed a 10% pay raise. Does that mean Paille can't come back unless he gets paid a minimum of $1.2M. That's a steep price for a third/fourth line checking/Penalty killer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

In Response to Re: Sobotka:
    Sobotka has had his chance to show his stuff and hasn't showed as much as we would like. The Bruins have all the centres they need and Sobotka will not be signed for next season. The Bruins have other more talented players with more skill and should be in the lineup before Vadi. We can't sign everyone and he is one of the non scorers that will be gone along with Begin, Wheeler, Ryder, Satan, Ference and Hunwick. The Bruins need speed and scoring wingers so these types of players should all be gone so improvements can be made and cap space for these improvements can happen.
    Posted by brunod

Here Here to that one

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Sobotka : Here Here to that one
    Posted by wallydouglas

I am going to disagree with both of you here, one, who is the more talented players we have that werent getting ice time, early in the buffalo series he was one of our best players, not sure when the injury occured and if that drop off is tied to it.

But 2, we do not have at this point(maybe someone will unfold at camp) a player to play 4th line center. 

I do think he actually would play better on a different team that might allow him to play 3rd line center, or maybe even a complete rebuild that will take him on with the idea of 2nd/3rd line center.  The kid has talent, he has not been put in that role and been allowed to adjust to it though.  Everyone who says he has had the chance to prove it and hasnt, your the same people calling for marchand to be given a chance to play, though he has played 20 games at his natural position.

Sobotka is a point per game player in the AHL playing on the top offensive line, 15-18mins a game. What kind of production do you expect from him when he is centering shawn thornton and paille, or begin (or even wheeler who was awful most of the year aside froma  hot stretch in early jan)??

RFA are not usually allowed to just walk away when the stil have some value. I would give him the chance to again break camp with the bruins and if not sit him down and talk about trading him to a team with more need at center.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I think he's too good to be on the fourth line, which makes him perfect as a fourth line center on the Bruins.

If Julien isnt going to play his line 4 less (which would be ideal), I guess we should at least put a line together that's cheap , can score, and can check.  I think that a Thornton, Sobotka, Marchand can accomplish this.  I know its a bit light on the size, but Sobotka plays bigger than he is, and I think Thornton can handle else.  Also, Marchand is gritty (so I hear).

That being the case, I'd love to bring Sobotka back for ~1M.   If he wants more, and we can get second round compensation (he's an RFA, right?), then it may be better to let him walk though. (and take the RFA compensation)

Q: Does he have experience playing on the same line w Marchand in Prov?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I think he's too good to be on the fourth line, which makes him perfect as a fourth line center on the Bruins. If Julien isnt going to play his line 4 less (which would be ideal), I guess we should at least put a line together that's cheap , can score, and can check.  I think that a Thornton, Sobotka, Marchand can accomplish this.  I know its a bit light on the size, but Sobotka plays bigger than he is, and I think Thornton can handle else.  Also, Marchand is gritty (so I hear). That being the case, I'd love to bring Sobotka back for ~1M.   If he wants more, and we can get second round compensation (he's an RFA, right?), then it may be better to let him walk though. Q: Does he have experience playing on the same line w Marchand in Prov?
    Posted by Drewski5

Yes, he had 4g 6 a in 6 games before we called him up playing with marchand.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Sobotka : Yes, he had 4g 6 a in 6 games before we called him up playing with marchand.
    Posted by rolerhoky19

You know way more about hockey than I. 

Would you agree that Julien expects more out of his fourth line than the median coach?

Would you also say that (if the above is true) that the Bruins should have a quality fourth line because of the amount of ice time it receives?

If the answer to both is yes...

Then I kind of like THornton, Sobotka, Marchand.  I understand the ego problems with being on the fourth line , but IMO, this can be resolved via communication.

"You guys are our fourth line, but you arent , by any stretch a 'fourth line'.  You guys will get third line minutes, and we expect as much scoring out of you as we would expect out of a 'third line'.  We know you guys are talented and can do it."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Bring Sobotka back. 

High compete level, consistently wins 1:1 battles and is good on faceoffs, 54% in both regular season and playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I don't think Sobotka has ego problems as "I want to play top line" I think its more "I can play center" I don't its an issue, or that he is a problem about it, I think its similar to players who play qb.. Centers start with the puck offense feeds off them.  Thats why centers tend to be more valuable then wings..

I think a 4th line needs to be defensively responsible though, and thornton, march, and sobotka, thats too many mistakes, and not enough experience.. The bruins are in a wierd spot where, its not a youth movement, and its not a rebuild, but its a young team with a lot of talent, little room for rookie mistakes.

I think if anything Sobotka and alot of the younger guys on the cusp do not play well under julien because he doesnt know how to handle them, they make a mistake and they may not play again.. thats not a good sign of confidence..Which is why i say, I like sobotka, but he may need to be moved to flourish, I really think if he gets the chance he may be able to produce at a krejci like level..

It really reminds me honestly of the pedroia situation as a rookie he started awful, and francona sat him down and was like, listen i have no one else, and we know your capable, so don't worry about it, just play through it..

Juliens its more like, listen, were giving you a shot, but if you cant do it you'll be back in providence for the year, so don't screw it up.. To be good offensively you have to take some chances, good luck trying to do that as a young player on this team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

I'm on board with roler and Drewski. If CJ insists on treating the fourth line as an extension of the third line, then we should have a more talented center there. I think a line of Thornton, Sobotka and Marchand could get under the other teams skins and account for a small number of goals. it could be had for about $2.2M (Thornton-$.8M, Sobotka-$.9M, Marchand-$.5M).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Berg, I think march makes like 800k as well no?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Sandog - I found this regarding RFA's, where did you see the 10% over?  Is this wrong info?

A qualifying offer will be 100 per cent of last season's salary for players making under $800,000, and 75 per cent of last season's salary for those making over $800,000.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

His is almost exactly like Sami Pahlsson from 10 years ago.  I think the B's should hang on to him.

I don't care about his ego, or if he is happy or unhappy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

MeanE, its both,

Players earning $660,000 or less will be entitled to qualifying offers (QO) at 110% of their prior year's salary; players earning more than $660,000 and up to $1 million will be entitled to QOs at 105% of prior year's salary; players earning more than $1 million will be entitled to QO at 100% of their prior year's salary.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

Sobotka, if he is going to become a better player, won't do it here.  He has shown that he is most successful at center, not wing.  I don't see management preferring Sobotka over Marchand, whom I think will become your 4th line center.  IMO, Sobotka is gone and it does not really hurt the team if he is.  Nor will I be devastated if they don't sign him. Same with Paille, Begin, Satan, or Wheeler. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shawnjararita. Show shawnjararita's posts

The Bruins have cap issues.  We need cheap guys with a lot of potential, and Sobotka is exactly this.  I believe that if Sobotka can get a regular 3rd or 4th line Center roll, he will surprise a lot of people.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Sobotka, if he is going to become a better player, won't do it here.  He has shown that he is most successful at center, not wing.  I don't see management preferring Sobotka over Marchand, whom I think will become your 4th line center.  IMO, Sobotka is gone and it does not really hurt the team if he is.  Nor will I be devastated if they don't sign him. Same with Paille, Begin, Satan, or Wheeler. 
    Posted by shaunk

Can Marchand play center though? I agree I think they are higher on him, but I think at this point he is still taking too many stupid penalties for them to rely on him..

I also agree sobotka will have a tough time improving here.. we are too deep at center and he needs minutes, and to be able to make mistakes..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Dont have anything to add other than: good threads today, guys.

Lunch break over....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I won't cry or die if Sobotka and Paille are not signed but PC better have a plan as to how he's going to keep the Bruins as the best PK team in the league. Boston was horrible on the penalty kill at the beginning of the 09' season that can not happen again!

Sections
Shortcuts