Soccer (Football) anyone??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

Soccer (Football) anyone??

I have been watching the World Cup over the past couple of weeks and although I know it is by far the most popular sport in the world...I just don't get why!!??
    I do enjoy watching it right now because it IS the World Cup and I'm a sports fan in general.  I am looking forward to seeing Spain or the Netherlands hoist "the Cup"...its actually not a cup....but I digress, you just can't tell me that it is as exciting as ice hockey!!

Maybe someone on here can help me out.....heres how:

I need a passionate "football" fan who also loves the game of ice hockey to tell me which they would prefer,
    1. Watch the World Cup final?
    2. Watch game 7 in the Stanley Cup(actual Cup) Final!!?? 

Anyway its just something that I have been thinking about over the last couple of days while watching the quarter and semi-finals from South Africa, just thought I would have some fun with it. Could be a little one-sided as this is a hockey forum!!! Hahaha.
    Maybe the guy from Fife, Scotland can help me out!!!

Cheers!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Re: Soccer (Football) anyone??

First of all i am italian therefore like many other italians i love soccer.  I have to say that i follow the major tounaments only like the World Cup, Euro and champions league.

I am also a big hockey fan.  When i say hockey fan i mean first of all i am a Bruins fan but also i watch other teams play because i simply love the game in the first place.

If i had to choose in between soccer and hockey it would be hard because to me those 2 sports are different.  Soccer is the most watched and practice sport in the World and part of it is because anyone can practice it...even poor countries because all you need is a ball or something like a ball.

On the other hand i think that hockey is the fastest sport in the world and probably the most exciting one to watch.  It is fast and intense.  I am actually Actually as a canadian having an hard time understanding why hockey does not pick up in the USA more than it already has.  It probably has to do with the marketing.

Finally to answer your question, if i had to pick in between the World cup final and game 7 of the stanley cup i would watch the World Cup because it only happens every 4 years.  Than again if it is the Bruins playing a game 7 i would probably watch the hockey game...unless Italy is playing the World Cup final at the same time. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

Thanks Lucaooo!!!  Awesome perspective and very well said!!!  Thats the kind of response I am looking for.  I have travelled to all parts of the world and I know how passionate people are about the game of football...hopefully this leads to a great discussion!!

PS:  I always love the t-shirts you use in the avatar!!!! hahahaha

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I look forward to it every four years because there is no better way to force sleep.  I've been bitterly disappointed this year, however.  I can't sleep with those dang horns!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to Re: Soccer (Football) anyone??:
    I look forward to it every four years because there is no better way to force sleep.  I've been bitterly disappointed this year, however.  I can't sleep with those dang horns!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

The horns are called vuvuzelas or something like that. Theye are indeed very annoying

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

Ya!!!  WOW those horns are annoying....like listening to a game standing inside a bee-hive!!! Most likely the horns will turn up in Montreal next season as they seem to have robbed other things from the sport....Ole,ole,Ole ole...SICK!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Vuvuzelas can cause noise-induced hearing loss averaging 113dB @ 2 meters distance...

In which case, I can foresee alot of deaf and dumb Hab fans next year... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from logeseats. Show logeseats's posts

I have tried and tried to get into the World Cup (or just soccer in general) but I have a really hard time watching it. Most of the time there is no flow at all. I can't stand the fact that the defense can simply kick the ball out of bounds whenever there is any offensive threat. It's maddening. It just kills any excitement that starts to build when a team is making a move. Anyway, I realize I did not meet the criteria of your original question but wanted to get my 2 cents in. Anyway, Game 7 is a hands down winner for me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

I grew up watching and playing football (soccer). My team won the Scottish Cup this year and I was way more interested in the Stanley Cup. I'm probably a little unusual in that respect.

One thing I wonder about is why hockey isn't bigger over here in the UK and I think it's one of accessability. We don't get cold enough to play it outdoors and ice time is scarce so only the super keen kids play.  There's also the problem of exposure in that although there's a pro league here the standard isn't so high and games are shown on a Friday night on Sky Sports 3 (a satellite subscription channel).

It's a shame hockey is treated so poorly as it really is a great game with a small but dedicated following. I remember in the 80's you could watch hockey on BBC and I used to go to see my local team after seeing them on TV. That avenue is now closed thanks to Rupert Murdoch and his mi$$ions. Grr!!!

Anyway these days I'd much rather watch hockey. One day I may even learn to skate properly and try it out. LOL!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Vamos Espana !!!
    Most hockey fans don't like soccer and it's because how hockey is such a physcial sport with contact and soccer ... well you are allowed shoulder to shoulder contact ... it's the rolling around on the grass that upsets hockey fans.  
    There's a culture in soccer and the game must be understood .  It's just like someone that doesn't understand baseball (my dad) and believes it's the most boring of sports and should be left to play in the school yard.
    I myself play and love the sport equally to hockey. Although there's no club team that I follow passionately like I do the Bruins, close but not the same way. Unless we go national. Being Berlin 2006 in was one my best hi-lites as sports fan ! 
    Let's pray the Bruins give me this feeling this way. Maybe I'll say wow Boston 2011 was  my best hi-lites as sports fan ! Then I'll steal StanleyCupToTheBruins LINE.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raithrover. Show raithrover's posts

I think the main points as to why soccer is universally more popular than hockey has been answered well in the previous posts, I myself was a season ticket to our local soccer team and never missed a game home or away, but I also attended every home game and some away games for my local hockey team, both teams had roughly the same attendance but in Scotland this was highly unusual in that the place I live Kirkcaldy is or was a hockey town, as a kid growing up we would all meet at the rink to hang out, skate and look for girls. Most other towns in Scotland you would struggle to find a person that would even know they had a hockey team. 
    At school every kid is taught soccer, as like has been said all you need is a field and a ball. Winter sports is not given any thought in schools here.
    I think that most fans have a passion for thier team rather than the sport, I still go to soccer games in Kirkcaldy as the team is surviving, our hockey team has all but died so I have no enthusiasm for attending anymore, but to answer you last question I would take game seven over the world cup final as I grew up watching hockey with my grandparents and despite its demise here I still think its the best game in the world, and I have a strong affinity for the Bruins even though I can only afford one trip over a year they are now my hockey team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

The principal of the game is the same: get the ball or puck in the net. Something American sports fans cannot understand. All American sports, remember, are played without a goal net or goalies.

Tactics are similar: passing, give and go, shoot, defend. Footballers have a much bigger area to cover. And it is the field of play that differentiates these two games and the way they are played.

A football pitch is 4.65 times bigger than a hockey rink. Each player must train to play the entire 90 minutes + added time. If you play football with the speed and intensity of hockey you will not have the strength or the stamina to run up and down the field more than 3 or four times, and you cannot rest. The other team will have an umipeded path to the goal.

Just enjoy both for what they are: somtheing similar but different. Why try to say one is better than the other.

I watch my Bruins just as much as I watch Serie A and my Azzurri.

However, nothing matches the atmosphere, anticipation and concentration of a World Cup Final.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Soccer is not big to the casual north amercan fan because I do not think they understand the game.  The same critics that say there is no flow to the game might love baseball (which is like watching paint dry) and football (where the flow is broken every 7 seconds)?  Are you kidding me? 

Also, they do not understand and appreciate the skill that is invlolved in the game.  A halfback kicks the ball 40 yards down the wing to a team mate running at full speed and he catches it on his foot with perfect control is amazing and exciting to me yet a football fan will not acknowledge that however he jumps out of his couch when a quarterback and reciever complete a 40 yard pass using their hands.  Also check out how many consecutive passes are made by a team who advances the ball just to get the opportunity in the other teams end.  Soccer is also like a chess game.  The movement of players off the ball is incredible, offside traps, kicking techniques to make the ball have the same effects as a curve ball or a knuckle ball, chips shots, heading the ball on it's own is an unbelievable skill.

True soccer fans appreciate a defensive game as much as an offensive game.  A 1-0 noting game is usually the result of the team that makes the first critical mistake.  Watching that to me is nail biting and I am on the edge of my couch the whole game.  There are no TV breaks so I can't go for a dump... I have to sit and watch for 90 + minutes.  How boring are TV breaks in other sports when watching live?

Like I said before, the difficulty is incredible.  I have played soccer far more than I played hockey and I still find soccer more difficult to play.  Also, I watched a few games live in Europe and the excitement level is far greater than any north american games that I watched live.  Seems sometimes that fans are more concerened about buying a beer or hotdogs than watching the game in north america.  You will never see that in soccer in Europe.

My personal preference to watch is either World Cup or Euro soccer or NHL hockey depending if my teams that are in or not.  After that all the other sports.

Matt

In Response to Soccer (Football) anyone??:
    I have been watching the World Cup over the past couple of weeks and although I know it is by far the most popular sport in the world...I just don't get why!!?? I do enjoy watching it right now because it IS the World Cup and I'm a sports fan in general.  I am looking forward to seeing Spain or the Netherlands hoist "the Cup"...its actually not a cup....but I digress, you just can't tell me that it is as exciting as ice hockey!!    Maybe someone on here can help me out.....heres how: I need a passionate "football" fan who also loves the game of ice hockey to tell me which they would prefer, 1. Watch the World Cup final? 2. Watch game 7 in the Stanley Cup(actual Cup) Final!!??  Anyway its just something that I have been thinking about over the last couple of days while watching the quarter and semi-finals from South Africa, just thought I would have some fun with it. Could be a little one-sided as this is a hockey forum!!! Hahaha. Maybe the guy from Fife, Scotland can help me out!!! Cheers!!
    Posted by scottm50

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I have tried and tried to get into the World Cup (or just soccer in general) but I have a really hard time watching it. Most of the time there is no flow at all. I can't stand the fact that the defense can simply kick the ball out of bounds whenever there is any offensive threat. It's maddening. It just kills any excitement that starts to build when a team is making a move. Anyway, I realize I did not meet the criteria of your original question but wanted to get my 2 cents in. Anyway, Game 7 is a hands down winner for me.
    Posted by logeseats

It makes me really angry when those guys roll around pretending to be injured...  Such bad sportsmanship...

It's like watching non-stop re-runs of Claude Lemieux playing...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Part of the reason we hate soccer is because we are sick of being told that we dont understand soccer.  Thats a very egotistical remark.  If you have a different opinion than us, you must be ignorant....UGH.....

One of the things I hate is the size of the field.  Because its SO spacious, every player has room.  This results in too many one on one matchups.  In hockey, the one on one matchup is rare, as usually players dont have enough space to get around defenders , so you HAVE to use your teammates.  There is nothing cooler than when a hockey team is "in the zone" and making those one touch/no look passes through the offensive zone, as the defense can do nothing but chase, chase , chase. 

Also, soccer is just too simplistic.   Baseball , there is the head game of batter vs pitcher.  Football , there is strategy in the playcalling.  Hockey, there is line formulation....There is far less strategy in soccer.  Its the exact reason why  most Americans give up on the sport when we turn 10.  We like complex sports with a strategic element and soccer just doesnt fit the bill.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Part of the reason we hate soccer is because we are sick of being told that we dont understand soccer.  Thats a very egotistical remark.  If you have a different opinion than us, you must be ignorant....UGH..... One of the things I hate is the size of the field.  Because its SO spacious, every player has room.  This results in too many one on one matchups.  In hockey, the one on one matchup is rare, as usually players dont have enough space to get around defenders , so you HAVE to use your teammates.  There is nothing cooler than when a hockey team is "in the zone" and making those one touch/no look passes through the offensive zone, as the defense can do nothing but chase, chase , chase.  Also, soccer is just too simplistic.   Baseball , there is the head game of batter vs pitcher.  Football , there is strategy in the playcalling.  Hockey, there is line formulation....There is far less strategy in soccer.  Its the exact reason why  most Americans give up on the sport when we turn 10.  We like complex sports with a strategic element and soccer just doesnt fit the bill.
    Posted by Drewski5

Then you don't understand soccer if you think there's no strategy.  I won't go on and on as this is a hockey board.
    Just one thought, if soccer didn't rely on strategy and just has what you called a simplistic approach then the team with the most talented player would win everytime.
    Might aswell give Brazil the WC everytime. 
    I can respect you not liking the sport but your reasoning,  points to you not knowing the sport.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

A lot of excellent posts guys ....thanks!!  I do enjoy watching Soccer and I understand a lot of the strategies and stuff, it is a great game. For me however, the thrill of a Stanley Cup Final going to game seven...it just doesn't get any better than that in any sport!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Soccer (Football) anyone?? : Then you don't understand soccer if you think there's no strategy.  I won't go on and on as this is a hockey board. Just one thought, if soccer didn't rely on strategy and just has what you called a simplistic approach then the team with the most talented player would win everytime. Might aswell give Brazil the WC everytime.  I can respect you not liking the sport but your reasoning,  points to you not knowing the sport.
    Posted by BsLegion

Well of course there is some strategy.  But not as much as football, baseball, basketball or hockey.

Baseball is a chess match between the pitcher and batter.

Football is a chess match between head coaches.

Basketball is about when to go big vs when to go small. 

Hockey with lineup formulations, positioning.....

There is some strategy in soccer, but it is still a much simpler sport than any of the above from a strategic standpoint.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Why I watch the sport I watch in England:

Soccer : I watch the odd game but Scottish football/soccer tends to be ignored in England and I don't feel strongly enough to pay for Sky (you can't get sport only you have to pay for it on top of the regular subscription).

Football : I kind of get it. Only problem is the the only way to see it in the UK is on Sky which I don't have for the aforementioned reasons. I would follow the Pats if only I could watch the games.

Baseball : Good game. Around 100 bucks for the season on mlb tv. I can watch any game I want with no blackouts. Also perfect for spread betting. I've currently got Giants to beat Brewers at £1 per run Smile

Basketball : Sorry. Just don't get it. I think espn shows it but I won't pay to watch.

Hockey : ESPN streams center ice over here. Again around 100 bucks for the season with no blackouts. The early games on a weekend are great although I rarely get to see West Coast hockey due to the time difference.

I will pick watching the Bruins in the Stanley Cup above anything with the possible (and unlikely) exception of Scotland in the World Cup / Euro Champs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbone77. Show tbone77's posts

In Response to Re: Soccer (Football) anyone?? : Well of course there is some strategy.  But not as much as football, baseball, basketball or hockey. Baseball is a chess match between the pitcher and batter. Football is a chess match between head coaches. Basketball is about when to go big vs when to go small.  Hockey with lineup formulations, positioning..... There is some strategy in soccer, but it is still a much simpler sport than any of the above from a strategic standpoint.
    Posted by Drewski5

If your going to say that football(soccer) is so simple and not very strategic you really should not compare it to the two most simple and least strategic team sports(hockey & basketball). You just keep proving your point that you have no clue about the game.   Basketball & strategy bahahahaha.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

Soccer is not big to the casual north amercan fan because I do not think they understand the game.  The same critics that say there is no flow to the game might love baseball (which is like watching paint dry) and football (where the flow is broken every 7 seconds)?  Are you kidding me?  Also, they do not understand and appreciate the skill that is invlolved in the game.  A halfback kicks the ball 40 yards down the wing to a team mate running at full speed and he catches it on his foot with perfect control is amazing and exciting to me yet a football fan will not acknowledge that however he jumps out of his couch when a quarterback and reciever complete a 40 yard pass using their hands.  Also check out how many consecutive passes are made by a team who advances the ball just to get the opportunity in the other teams end.  Soccer is also like a chess game.  The movement of players off the ball is incredible, offside traps, kicking techniques to make the ball have the same effects as a curve ball or a knuckle ball, chips shots, heading the ball on it's own is an unbelievable skill. True soccer fans appreciate a defensive game as much as an offensive game.  A 1-0 noting game is usually the result of the team that makes the first critical mistake.  Watching that to me is nail biting and I am on the edge of my couch the whole game.  There are no TV breaks so I can't go for a dump... I have to sit and watch for 90 + minutes.  How boring are TV breaks in other sports when watching live? Like I said before, the difficulty is incredible.  I have played soccer far more than I played hockey and I still find soccer more difficult to play.  Also, I watched a few games live in Europe and the excitement level is far greater than any north american games that I watched live.  Seems sometimes that fans are more concerened about buying a beer or hotdogs than watching the game in north america.  You will never see that in soccer in Europe. My personal preference to watch is either World Cup or Euro soccer or NHL hockey depending if my teams that are in or not.  After that all the other sports. Matt In Response to Soccer (Football) anyone?? :
    Posted by mattbs

^^^This about sums it up.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I have watched the World Cup this year and have made the following observations:

1) There are actually worse referees in sports than NHL refs
    2) There are actually atheletes in another sport that take dives as frequently as the Montreal Canadians
    3) Soccer desperately needs a blue line