Solution: Trade Kobasew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickmagg. Show rickmagg's posts

Solution: Trade Kobasew

As much as I love the way he plays, he has to be the odd man out if we're going to sign Kessel.  2.2 million off the books would leave about 6.5 million to sign Kessel and Hunwick.

Lineup:

Sturm  Savard Kessel
    Lucic Krejci Ryder
    Reechi Bergeron Wheeler
    Bitz Begin Thornton

Wheeler would have to switch back to his natural right wing, with Sturm coming back.  This is just a shot in the dark at what the lines could be. 

Thoughts...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

Re: Solution: Trade Kobasew

i like it, if we can get a defenseman back that would be even better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

I completely disagree...in this NHL GMs are looking for "good contracts," like Marian Hossa, David Krejci and such. Kobasew has one of those contracts, a gritty two way forwards who is a 20 goal guy, I would much prefer to trade Kessel as he would get you a MUCH better defensemen than kobasew

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Gotta go with Krejci on this one - Kobasew has put up good numbers for a couple years now, and playing with a "Healthy" Bergeron and Recchi should only do better.
    Kessel can get you more in return. With 9 potential 20+ goal scorers locked in - Kessel is more expendable than you leading goal scorer typically would be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pezell04x. Show Pezell04x's posts

fail.

No way do you trade Kobesew. dkrejci sumed it up perfectly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

I think Kobasew is a very useful player and I love the way he plays, that being said their is a lot more of his type of players than guys with game breaking skills like Kessel.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

Krejci your correct, Kobasews got a cap friendly deal, this is exactly the reason teams would go after him.

Chiarelli would have an easier time trading Kobasew., you may not get a stud defenseman back, but you can get an average defenseman. and save money in the process while signing two younger players Kessel & Hunwick

its July 7th and no-one has offered Kessel a contract, because of the compensation due to the Bruins. my guess is no one will sign him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

exactly, so if we can get the guy at 3.5 million then sign him. Thats an incredibly cap friendly deal and if you wanted to trade him at 3.5 you could get just about any defensemen you wanted. Value these days is a combination of skill and contract.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

If you trade anyone it's Strum the guys been injured ang trade him while he stiil has a little bit of value. I love kobasew,he can score goals and is grinder. At times Bergy, rech and Kob where the best line on nights.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MTLBRUINFAN. Show MTLBRUINFAN's posts

I would be okay letting anyone of the following go to keep Kessel if possible :Sturm, Kobasew, or Ryder

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

Kobasew is that player making the diference in the playoffs. short money long heart, if you want to drop some $ how about Thornton?? We have plenty of muscle now why do we need a cheerleader that does not help in the playoffs?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

I think the two players easiest to move on the team are Sturm and Ward. Before anybody gives me lip about Sturm having a no-trade it's not the end all to the situation, just a road bump. Yes his cap hit is unfortunate but it's only for 2 more years and 28 goals is attractive to teams who need scoring. Ward, while he brings good leadership, only has 1 more year left and doesn't have the skills to be a game changer.
    In either situation it's not a trade the Bruins makes for value, purely a cap dump that whatever you get in return is welcome.
    I'm with the majority, that being keeping Kobasew. dkrejci said it all in the cap friendly contracts, and Kobasew's speed, checking, and goal scoring is vital for a depth player, and I think he's one of the most productive 3rd line players in the league.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Keeping in mind that the salary cap will go down for every team the season after next, Sturm is essentially untradeable.  While 28 goals is undoubtedly attractive,$3.5 million per year for two more years would definitely NOT be attractive to about 95% of NHL clubs. 

The only way Sturm gets moved is in a deal that brings similar cap hit back to B's, in which case, as would be true if Kessel or Savard were moved, I hope it brings the B's a mobile, puck-moving 2-way defenseman as part of the compensation.  That's the piece that's missing from this club.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Thornton gets paid 550K or something like that, no real need to move him

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Bruinscountry that all depends on the team you trade him to. There are still several teams with cap room and a need for scoring, and if your compensation is low then the cap you take in return will also be low. Consider if you will teams like Atlanta, Nashville and Buffalo. All teams that need more scoring, and all teams that with another move and some prospect development could turn out to be a playoff contender. Atlanta is desperate to prove to Ilya Kovalchuk that it's going to be competitive and perhaps challenge for a playoff spot very soon, and they have the most cap room in the league currently. Nashville is a borderline playoff team that could use another scoring winger since the departure of Alex Radulov. Buffalo is also in need of another scoring winger, as Maxim Afineganov was a dissapointment last season and has since left as a UFA. I don't recommend trading to Buffalo as they are in the division, but these three are used as examples that may be willing to take salary off the hands of the Bruins. The price wouldn't be market value if it's a complete cap dump, perhaps along the lines of what Fernandez was, minus the higher end prospect of Peter Kalus. But a mid level prospect and a 4th or 5th round pick may get Sturm's salary off your hands, and Kessel and Hunwick back on your bench.
    Something worth considering as it would help the Bruins now and for the future.
    Regardless of what people say about Kessel he's done something in 3 years in the league that Sturm hasn't done in 10, score 30 goals.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

In a perfect world, we would keep all of our guys, but as you know the salary cap does not allow this.  Its clear from this discussion that alot of you have Kobasew as your designated Bruins "binky".

IMO Bergeron & Sturm have pricey, untradeable contracts, and they have injury history. A GM that takes on either of those guys has a high risk/reward. In dealing either of these guys, you would get a bad contract back, essentially putting you in the same position as you were before the deal.  

This is why Kobasew is the easiest to move. hes got an affordable deal and more teams would be inclined to take a 27 year old with 20 goals at 2.3 mil than 4.5 or 3.5 million deals for Bergy and/or Sturm.

If I have to choose to lose someone, it would be Kobasew, he has the most return value in a deal, get a decent D-man back, sign Kessel & Hunwick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Trade Sturm for Bruno Gervais in NYI, they have 23 M cap space and could use a vet with speed for Tavares and we get a decent young blueliner 2nd defensive scorer on a brutal team last year. Don't know if Sturm would bite on this one though from 1st to last.
     Gervais salary this year is .8M and next .9M.
     Sturm may go on to score 30 maybe even 40, but I doubt it, interview the other day he said he was not 100% yet but should be ready for the season. Unload him if you can but noone will want his salary and his injury. His 27 goals on first line or Kobasew's 20+ on the third is a no brainer.
    Kabasew is getting 2.5M for all the right reasons and most GM's would have him on the 2nd line.
    Kessel is only 21 and with what he has fought through the last couple of years, I can't see it being said he is soft. If he is the 1% Recchi is talking about then ship him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

Strum makes 3.5 plenty of teams have cap space for thatand need scoring(trade him for a bag of pucks) and Kobasew is much valuable to this team he is almost un tradable