Some insight on Rask's number??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Some insight on Rask's number??

OK, now that the B's have a real goalie that looks like an NHLer back there, and who seems he will be with the club awhile, any reason why Tuukka Rask wears that ridiculous #40???

I'm an OLD timer and goalies wear #'s 1, 29, 30, 31, 33 and 35.  Period.  I know the kids nowadays wear all kinds of football numbers, but I just can't buy a jersey with a 40 on it.  Can't do it.

Since I'm not in Beantown anymore, I don't get as much B's coverage... is there a reason he wears that goofy number?  It made sense when he first came up, but c'mon Tuuuk!  Put on a #1 or a 29 or something!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Some insight on Rask's number??

In Response to Some insight on Rask's number??:
    [QUOTE]OK, now that the B's have a real goalie that looks like an NHLer back there, and who seems he will be with the club awhile, any reason why Tuukka Rask wears that ridiculous #40??? I'm an OLD timer and goalies wear #'s 1, 29, 30, 31, 33 and 35.  Period.  I know the kids nowadays wear all kinds of football numbers, but I just can't buy a jersey with a 40 on it.  Can't do it. Since I'm not in Beantown anymore, I don't get as much B's coverage... is there a reason he wears that goofy number?  It made sense when he first came up, but c'mon Tuuuk!  Put on a #1 or a 29 or something!!!
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

No idea, maybe it's some kind of Finnish cult thing, Hannu Toivenen wore #54, which is even stranger.  At least 40 has a zero at the end.

I've always liked #35 for a goalie number, my first goalie hero was Tony Esposito.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

oh brother

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Some insight on Rask's number??:
    [QUOTE]oh brother
    Posted by jerrynewyork[/QUOTE]

That was helpful.  Shocker, someone from NY.

Anyone else?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some insight on Rask's number?? : That was helpful.  Shocker, someone from NY. Anyone else?

re: NY.  No idea what's going on, half of the regular posters are gone and lots of trolls posting personal insults today.

re: the number, he wore #87 in Finland, but he was born in 87 so I get that.  He wore #30 in Providence.

As far as old time tradition goes....  You may die of a coronary when you see this pic of Rask in Finland.
    http://www.ilves.com/kuvat/kuvapankki/pelaajat0607/isot/rask.jpg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

Well TT is #30 so Rask couldn't get use that in Boston. that might be why he jumped up to #40. He should switch to #1 so he can sit next to Eddie Shore.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Well TT is #30 so Rask couldn't get use that in Boston. that might be why he jumped up to #40. He should switch to #1 so he can sit next to Eddie Shore.  
    Posted by lereve77[/QUOTE]

Does this really make sense to you? No kidding, TT is borrowing Cheevers' number. He could have "jumped up" to 31, 33, 35.

He really should switch to #1.  Hope he reads this board. Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Wow, BH, thats a great picture.  Its crazy, but doesnt bother me as much, as all those Euro teams look like that.

Im old enough to remember when the boards in the NHL were completely white, but had ads in them in Europe, so they started that cr@p.

I have a great poster that I stole,... er, found when I was in Tokyo of a goalie in the Asian Pro League that looks like that.

Well, if Raskie wore #87, I guess 40 wouldnt seem all that nuts to him... so actually you kinda answered my question.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some insight on Rask's number?? : re: NY.  No idea what's going on, half of the regular posters are gone and lots of trolls posting personal insults today. re: the number, he wore #87 in Finland, but he was born in 87 so I get that.  He wore #30 in Providence. As far as old time tradition goes....  You may die of a coronary when you see this pic of Rask in Finland. http://www.ilves.com/kuvat/kuvapankki/pelaajat0607/isot/rask.jpg
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Love the pic, looks like a christmas tree(or a holiday tree for the people that I probably just offended). I love the Savard signing last week but one day we will look back and say "Thank God for Rask" That's the one we really needed. Come playoffs Thomas will be on the bench watching. And knowing the kind of guy Thomas is, he will be fine with that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Well, he certainly can't take #31, because that was Blaine Lacher's number, which in all rights should have been retired by now!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snags87. Show snags87's posts

i honestly think thats the number given to him when he came up as a rookie. same thing happened to thomas (70)....he will change it soon enough

as for hannu he was 33 but changed it to 54 bc it was the year of his dads birth...he gave 33 to zdeno chara who originally was 44

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Why can't they use the traditional #1??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

There's only one Gilles Gilbert! No Rask can't have #1 and I think it is a Euro thang with the odd numbers.

Long live Gilles Gilbert!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINS. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINS's posts

Who cares about his number he could wear number 999 and I wouldnt care less as long as he makes the saves

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Just a quick sweep but here's 5 good goalies who disagree with you.

Dominic Hasek #39
    Miikka Kiprusoff #34
    Evgeny Nabokov #20
    Ed Belfour #20 (everywhere but Chicago)
    Jose Theodore #60

Who cares what # Tuukka is as long as he gets the job done!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The #'s 1, 30, 31 and 35 were the most common for goalies when I first started watching.

But back then most defensemen wore single digits or numbers in the 20's and many forwards wore numbers in the teens.

You seldom saw a number over 40. I think When Phil Esposito wore #77 for the Rangers, he couldn't have Rod Gilbert's #7, he started a trend where superstars wore double digit high numbers, Gretzky, Lemieux, Coffey, Bourque, etc.

Now there seems little consistency any more, players wear whatever...goalies too. I always thought Ed Belfour's #20 looked kind of wierd, but you got used to it after a while and now it seems s goalie could wear whatever he wants and there is really no standards anymore.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GABees. Show GABees's posts

Uhhh... are you really that upset about a number??????????????   If so, perhaps you should take up another hobby...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some insight on Rask's number?? : Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE] Who cares about his number he could wear number 999 and I wouldnt care less as long as he makes the saves
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBRUINS[/QUOTE]

999?  999!?!?!

Is NOTHING sacred to you??

It's thinking like that which has brought us to skating with the top lace undone and no suspenders on pants.  What next?  When will the insanity stop?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

maybe he is a fan of Darren Pang, panger wore 40 with the hawks

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from theobama. Show theobama's posts

Some goalies just like to be different. Hasek was 39, Belfour was 20, Grahame was 47, Theodore wears 60, Nabakov wears 20, Varlamov wears 40.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

There's only one Gilles Gilbert! No Rask can't have #1 and I think it is a Euro thang with the odd numbers. Long live Gilles Gilbert!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Don't get me wrong, I was/am a big Gilles Gilbert fan, but...  you must admit, he was a moron!  If he only could learn, he would have been the greatest goalie of all time.  He did it all on pure reaction time, he was so quick, but wow...  I remember a forward had the puck behind his net, he turned watched - facing his own net looking for what the guy was going to do with the puck.  Poor guy, his english still sounded like French no matter how long he lived in the states.  Never saw a guy who lost the net so often, yet still made so many saves.  Really, I think the best natural goaltender in history.  Come to think of it, with the equipment they had then, having no brain was an advantage!

Was he really the last goalie to wear #1 for the Bruins?  I can't remember anyone else who wore #1 except for Johnston.

Sections
Shortcuts