Someone please explain...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Someone please explain...

Why would CJ pull Thomas at the end of the 2nd and start Rask? That is just setting the kid up for failure! Resting Timmy for tomorrow's game is bull since it's only 20 minutes more to go. Giving the team a spark is silly since Thomas was the only one battling up to that point.

Now you have a kid who feels like he just can't win one for his team. Am I missing something?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Someone please explain...

The only reason I can think is that CJ figured the game was already lost and wanted to get rask some ice time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Just getting Rask some work and hopefully spark the team a little too, which it did.  Rask gets start tomorrow vs. St. Louis.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Actually most coaches make that move.  It normally is done to get a spark going.  Which it did. It also gives Thomas a breather.  Thomas didnt lose this game. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from POWERSURGE. Show POWERSURGE's posts

Thomas is still 7-0!!!

And Rask 0-3..
    Hopefully he gets his first win against St-Louis!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Been down this road personally. It's called a mercy pull! It's a statement to the team that says "You guys are playing like dog dung & I'm not going to expose our goalie of this particular night to anymore of IT!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from north1234. Show north1234's posts

yeah i agree ..i was hoping he would give rask ice time to get game situation in for tomorrow night..didnt expect bruins to come back...damm i know it was atough shot but no screen ..no tip ..just need that big save and again rask coul;dnt do it...really scary looking inthere..i know he hasnt played for awile but man neither had holtby..and he looked sharp

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Someone please explain...:
    [QUOTE]yeah i agree ..i was hoping he would give rask ice time to get game situation in for tomorrow night..didnt expect bruins to come back...damm i know it was atough shot but no screen ..no tip ..just need that big save and again rask coul;dnt do it...really scary looking inthere..i know he hasnt played for awile but man neither had holtby..and he looked sharp
    Posted by north1234[/QUOTE]

Ya know this happens a lot, especially to younger goalies. As I mentioned in another thread. Goalie's need game situations to stay sharp until they get used to their roles. Rask & Thomas are BOTH quality goalie's. Neither of them will get used to sitting for long periods. This is why I can't wait for the B's schedule to get busy.So, both of them can get playing time. Now, the goal allowed by Rask was labelled. It was a decent shot, but if this was a sharp & a in game mode Rask, he'd stop that 95% of the time! His body position is there as far as keeping upright. That's a good sign, because his technique hasn't wavered. His positioning though has suffered. There were two instances where he was caught too deep in his net. One he stopped Ovie on with his left pad, The other he got scored on. Rask is a shot blocker, which means he lets the puck do the work & he takes away the major holes by always trying to keep the puck centered to his body. Doing that style is very hard to keep up when you don't play enough. You don't get your timing & positioning down because your teammates don't put the same UMPH! into things during practice! Thomas says he's adopted some of this style because of Rask & it shows. Rask just needs to play & he'll be fine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I watched the goals over and over again on NHL.com.  I can't understand why Thomas was pulled.  It makes no sense.  He wasn't playing poorly.  He wasn't injured.  He wasn't in peril.  Two screened shots and a two on one...and he gets yanked?

The hottest goaltender in the NHL is giving up normal goals to a high powered offense and he gets the hook.

CJ is such a bad coach.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Goalies are pulled at times just to wake up a team regardless of whether they are at fault for goals against or not. A 3-0 deficit going into the third with your team sleepwalking at that point and you decide to change things up is a bad coaching decision ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

You know that when a goalie gets the hook, it's a blow to his confidence. 

Rask has let up three goals twice this season and didn't get yanked.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

I really think it was about getting Rask some game time before tonight. Thomas played ok.

The offense was non-existent in the first two periods. Caps had them pretty well covered and even when they did get somone in a decent position it always seemed to be Thornton!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Someone please explain... : You know that when a goalie gets the hook, it's a blow to his confidence.  Rask has let up three goals twice this season and didn't get yanked.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

If that's all you're concerned about I think TT's confidence will be just fine . He has played great so far and has played the majority of the minutes. I was thinking ( probably like a lot of other posters were ) after the 2nd period was over that the way they were playing it would be a good time to get TT out and Rask in. If TT had stayed in and the Caps put 2-3 more goals by him would that have helped his confidence ? IMO it was a no brainer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Someone please explain... : You know that when a goalie gets the hook, it's a blow to his confidence.  Rask has let up three goals twice this season and didn't get yanked.

You're reading too much into this. Thomas is a professional and this happens all the time in the NHL (as per shuperman and nitemares posts).  Keenan was the king of this and it was to wake up the team . 
    Bruins the fisrt two periods took a total of 9 shots ,  9 shots !!! Only in the the 3rd period they took 9 to match the total of the first two periods.  
    Conclusion , clearly the Bruin players were asleep and the Caps just not wanting to lose yet again to the Bruins.  We got to see some life in the 3rd.
    Besides who knows what was said between Julien and Thomas between that period.
    btw since when did you get emotional and start thinking  of players feelings ?
    Besides who knows what was said between Julien and Thomas between that period.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Bang on..."reading too much into this"
    A good move by CJ and an equally good move by Boudreau.  The b's just had one of those "off nights", that every good team has throughout the season.  The key is to nip that lethargic effort in the bud.  When your best players all seem to be somewhere else, time to do something, and sparing your best player of the evening, more abuse, is not a bad thing.
    CJ also has a problem...a problem most coaches would love to have.  He has 2 really good goalies, and regardless of the situation, it's always in the back of his head, that both "need to play".  If both are healthy, in game changes probably won't be a rarity this year.  Both goalies would probably play 55 games on another team, and rest assured both want to, and feel they need to.
    I was stunned last playoff, when CJ didn't opt for TT a few times.  Appearred to me, he was doing a terrible job of managing his assetts.  After the B's got bounced, we found out Thomas was injured, so CJ wasn't an idiot afterall.  Rask's playoff run, also put things in perspective,... if one is logical.  He's very talented, but the strain of being "the man" at this stage of his development wore him down.  Over exposing promising young goalies, can be the kiss of death, however, competition, within a cohesive tandem will challenge both, and make them better during the regular season.  Just as it won't be surprising to see many in game changes, I don't expect either to start 10 in a row, no matter how well they play.  The "confidence level" of either should not be an issue.  They both should understand very well, "the lay of the land", being one of 2 good goaltenders, on a good team.  If management makes logical, professional decisions, they should be fine.  If not, they need the attitude adjustment.
    The regular season is just the second training camp before playoffs. 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Someone please explain... : You're reading too much into this. Thomas is a professional and this happens all the time in the NHL (as per shuperman and nitemares posts).  Keenan was the king of this and it was to wake up the team .  Bruins the fisrt two periods took a total of 9 shots ,  9 shots !!! Only in the the 3rd period they took 9 to match the total of the first two periods.   Conclusion , clearly the Bruin players were asleep and the Caps just not wanting to lose yet again to the Bruins.  We got to see some life in the 3rd. Besides who knows what was said between Julien and Thomas between that period. btw since when did you get emotional and start thinking  of players feelings ? Besides who knows what was said between Julien and Thomas between that period.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Did it spark the team ? You bet it did...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Did it spark the team ? You bet it did...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Yup, some posters here are ego tripping.  Pulling the goalie is common today.  It sparked the team!  As Julien said in an interview on NESN, each player has to be treated differently depending on his personality.  The team was horrible in the second period (Milbury post game analysis concurs).  Thomas is 35 not 22 and he understood the decision.  CJ made the right decision.  Rask was a bit rusty on the goal but the team lost the game in the second period.  BTW I am not a huge CJ fan especially with his offensive schemes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

It not only sparked the team, but the Caps goal went through 5-6 players and Ference crossed in front of Rask as he tried to pick it up. It was actually the third screened goal by the Caps during the game. CJ is not the most flexible coach and is forever sticking to his game plan. His swith of Campbell and Seguin actually gave Seguin more open ice with fast players and Seguin was in a better position when Thornton scored his backhander. If Thorny had missed EVERYONE would be panning him. CJ should have switched Seguin and Recchi. Rex has a wonderful legacy, but he is not able to stay in this faster game very often, and does not add much to Bergie and Caron. Even Wheeler helped Bergie more than REX. It really is time for Rex to call it a day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

It can be NAS, but not in this situation. It was a slap in the face to the team. A wakeup call! In this situation it was CJ telling the team."TT has been working his tail off for us! His season thus far is off the charts & I'm not letting you bums ruin his stats. You don't wanna work for him? Fine, I'm pulling him so he's not exposed to your dismal play any longer!" Now did he actually say these words in the dressing room? No, probably not. I'm sure he tell the team how they were playing like garbage though. The Thomas pull was to show them how pathetic they were playing. In this instance, CJ was on TT's side.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Bogie, I noticed all that too but last season Recchi started the same way and really picked it up in the playoffs. Perhaps they are expecting that again. At his age he can't expect to go all season top form.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Someone please explain... : It can be NAS, but not in this situation. It was a slap in the face to the team. A wakeup call! In this situation it was CJ telling the team."TT has been working his tail off for us! His season thus far is off the charts & I'm not letting you bums ruin his stats. You don't wanna work for him? Fine, I'm pulling him so he's not exposed to your dismal play any longer!" Now did he actually say these words in the dressing room? No, probably not. I'm sure he tell the team how they were playing like garbage though. The Thomas pull was to show them how pathetic they were playing. In this instance, CJ was on TT's side.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

well said and good to bump up

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Hey NAS? If I may explain from a personal level as to when a coach can ruin a goalie's confidence. Myself & another friend played hockey together from atom, to highschool. One yr he played Midget AAA. I played highschool, but other than that. We were goalie's on every team. We didn't always win every year, but my friend & I for the most part played well. We had numerous coaches & most of them were exceptional & treated both of us as #1's. Our 1st yr of Bantam we went to the Purlator Cup which was the Atlantic Canada Championship. We lost in the finals. The coach was great that year, but he got really sick in the off season. So, another coach came in & wasn't from the area for our 2nd yr. He seemed great at first & treated us fair during our exhibition games & a pre-season tournament. Which we won & my goalie partner & I won MVP of the tourney. As soon as the regular season started? Here's what he said to first my teammate. "OK Mr so & so you're starting. Any f'n weak ones & you're coming out!" He would say that to us for every game no matter who was starting!"  My friend & I finished a total of 7 complete games that year! Out team record was 7-30-3. I had 3 wins on the year! Our GAA was in the 7's! The next year we moved to 1st yr Midget. We won the provincal league championship & my goalie partner & I won as top goalie's for the yr & we both took home an MVP in 5 tournaments we played on! So, you're right. A coach can kill a confidence! In this case two.

Sections
Shortcuts