Sox Cheapest Tix:$12, Bruins Cheapest Tix: $30

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Sox Cheapest Tix:$12, Bruins Cheapest Tix: $30

***The Red Sox make available Upper Bleachers in Several sections for ALL GAMES FOR $12. THOUSANDS of other Tix for ALL games for $23.

****The cheapest Bruins Ticket --available in just ONE section--is $30 for half of the games....$20 for the other half of the games.

Hey, the Bruins can get every penny the want out of the Premium/Lower Bowl/Luxury Suite Tickets.  Thats the trend in sports.

But the Bruins MISSED another trend: leave thousands of affordable seats to the fans.  The Red Sox do this. Most teams set aside at least some affordable seats for the general fans.  Its simply good business.

This is ridiculous.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from julienrules. Show julienrules's posts

Re: Sox Cheapest Tix:$12, Bruins Cheapest Tix: $30

If we price the working class fan out, we get an antiseptic atmosphere of rich folks and pink hats. We lose our home ice advantage.  We lose a couple more games and sink closer to the middle of the pack.

Then we lose ticket holders..then we look just like where we were after the lock-out. Smaller crows and less noisy crowds. Not a hockey atmosphere, unlike the atmosphere the past 2 seasons: packed crowd of working stiffs. Real hockey. Real fans.

There's an upward spiral...and a downwards spiral.

You gotta be careful. Delicate balance

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockett7. Show rockett7's posts

RED SOX 2009 PAYROLL
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=bos

BRUINS 2009 PAYROLL
    http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=BOS&season=0910

Doesn't Make Sense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DARVISH55. Show DARVISH55's posts

Dogwhacker, you need to CALM DOWN.

Fenway capacity: about 37,000

TD Bank capacity: about 17,500 for hockey games

Obviously the sox are going to be able to dish out cheaper tickets because they have obstructed views and SRO.

This is my second year as a STH and you can blame the Winter Classic all you want, the fact of the matter is the Bruins are good and ya, consequently they raised the tix to what was on par around the league.

If you remember correctly, the ticket prices right now are about what they were at 3-4 years ago when they didnt have the fan fare. Now that they generated the interest once again, the price went up. You can be pissy about it all you want, but if you look around the league - it lines up with what STH prices are in big market teams. We were LUCKY to have such cheap seats last year and now Im paying 15 bucks a game for seats that are now 32. Ya im pissed about the hike in prices and Ill re evaluate whether ill get them next year (pending on the deal i get for the post season), but watever man, the Winter Classic at Fenway?!?! are you serious?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Darv, get back on the phone and sell those group packages.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DARVISH55. Show DARVISH55's posts

Hey, Im just tryin to get you to stop lightin up the threads b!tchin about this stuff when you're not seeing the reasoning. Im just as upset that the tickets went up but you make no good case when you're comparing the Sox and Bs games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronrione. Show ronrione's posts

Darvish Jacobs is obviously interning today for his grandfather Jeremy at the Fanrelations department.

This 67% - 200% increase in ticket prices is a new low for JJ and thats saying something. He should really be ashamed of himself.

Ill be going to 1-2 games instead of my normal 5-7 this year. I'm not going to be his sucker anymore

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DARVISH55. Show DARVISH55's posts

settle down, Im just sick of this guy already. At first he was cryin about how it's the Winter Classic's fault, then it was Jacobs, then its this person, that person and so on. If you didnt see this coming then you're an f'in idiot. I got season tickets 2 yrs ago for the $15 seats, and I knew right away they were only so cheap cause they wanted people to get back into hockey.

Now I have to hear this blowhard complain about how jacobs is money hungry? This is the guy that pushed for a cap to even the playing field FOR HIMSELF. He knew if there were a cap of 60 mill that he gave Chiarelli to play with that we'd be competitive. I hate Jacobs just as much as the next guy and he got all of us good. But Im not complaining that i get to go to the Winter Classic and watch what should be a great season of hockey, again

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3053517. Show user_3053517's posts

Here's an idea.  If you don't like it, boycott the team.  Don't go to any of their games, don't watch on NESN, don't listen on the radio.  Don't buy their merch.  The prices will go down substantially.  You (we) set the prices when we buy the product.  Simple as that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-Fan-In-MD. Show Bruins-Fan-In-MD's posts

How about paying for parking and admission to see the Washington Redskins practice?  Daniel Snyder, owner of the Redskins, did that for awhile.  Yes, people paid it.  Don't let owners ruin your time. 

I live in Maryland and travel to see the Bruins in in Philadelphia, Long Island, Madison Square Garden, Atlanta, New Jersey, and Carolina.  And of course, Boston.  While watching them warm up before a game in Carolina, wearing my Reebok Edge Chara jersey, which I paid $300 for, Chara flipped a puck over the glass to me.  At another game down there, he gave me a head nod and smacked the glass in front of me with his stick.  Made my year and the Bruins won both games.  Went down for game 6 of the playoffs as well.

I've followed the Bruins since the 70's and have Center Ice to watch all the games I cannot be at.

I sat behind the Bruins goal for two periods when the Caps beat them 10-2.  Then flew up to Boston that weekend and saw Toronto crush them 8-2.  Did not care, LOVE TO WATCH THEM PLAY.

I watched in horror when Neely was taken out by Ulf.

Love the Bruins and will find tickets I can afford to continue to go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whateveron3. Show whateveron3's posts

If you are going to complain about the Bruins ticket prices, please do not try to compare it to the Red Sox. Yes, the Bruins have the third highest ticket average in the NHL behind Montreal and Toronto and should not be lauded for their pricing practices, but the Red Sox play twice as many games at home at more than double the capacity of the Garden and have a payroll twice as large as the Bruins...

Wouldn't it then make sense that the Bruins ticket prices would be more expensive?

example...

Last year the average Bruins ticket was $61.40. The average Red Sox ticket is around $50.24.

Lets figure this out using current *approximated* numbers.

Bruins:
    Payroll: $ 60,000,000
    Capacity: 17,565
    Price: $ 61.40
    Games: 41
    MONEY: $ 44,218,131
    Pct. of Payroll: 73.7 %

That's assuming all 41 games are sell-outs (which they aren't)

Red Sox:
    Payroll: $ 125,000,000
    Capacity: 37,500
    Price: $ 50.24
    Games: 81
    MONEY: $ 152,604,000
    Pct. of Payroll: 122%!!!

From a pure payroll standpoint, the Bruins ticket seems MUCH more reasonable that a Red Sox ticket. Maybe we shouldn't be asking why the cheapest bruins ticket is $ 30 and be asking why the cheapest Red Sox ticket isn't half as much as it is now. Of course, this doesn't take into account revenue sharing and other sources of income, but I think it's safe to say that the Red Sox recieve just as much money (percentage wise) from the league as the Bruins do.

I know some will argue that using the average ticket price skews the data since the issue at hand is the cheapest ticket, not just ANY ticket. But from the numbers you can tell that dropping the price of the cheaper tickets without a significant increase in the more expensive ticket is asking for trouble. For evidence lets look at the two lowest average ticket prices in the NHL, St. Louis and Phoenix (see where I'm going with this?).

St. Louis is by far the lowest with an average ticket price of $30. The reason for this is that they have one of the largest arenas in the league (21,000 capacity). You may say that Montreal has the same capacity and charges the HIGHEST average of any team (over $ 64), but clearly the St. Louis market does not have the same demand that the Montreal market or even the Boston market has. It is just simply the economics that works best to optimize ticket sales for each individual team and that just happens to be what works for St. Louis (for now). I don't even need to delve into the situation in Phoenix...

The bottom line is that most people would be willing to pay $ 30 a ticket to see good hockey, and until nobody will or until the Garden magically gains 3,500 new seats, it's going to stay that way. It may stink that the Bruins have such high prices as compared to the rest of the league, but at least they have been reasonably competitive for the last, I don't know, 40 years (only missed the playoffs six times since 1968 and just 19 times since their inaugural season in 1927). If you want to have a problem with it go ahead, but comparing the Bruins ticket prices to the Red Sox who are notorious for their exuberant ticket pricing is maybe not the best path to take.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gardensupportor. Show Gardensupportor's posts

The Red Sox and Patriots both have the smallest seating capacity in thier leagues and both compete for World Championships year in and year out.

The new lowest ticket price of $30 for the Bruins is in one corner of the arena and it is the last 2 rows which equate to about 50 tickets per home game, the next cheapest is $38.

Thier is no justification

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Thank you, whateveron3.  Those "Percent of Payroll" numbers are a pretty good way to try to compare what, to my mind, are a peach and a plum.  Sure, they seem similar but the differences are enough that a strait comparison is a bad idea.

The only problem is that you don't factor in operational costs.  The Red Sox playing twice as many home games probably means they have significantly higher costs for maintaining the field, etc.  Of course, the late season electricity bill for the Bruins is probably high.  No idea if those numbers are available anywhere.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Very poor argument.

No matter HOW you slice it, RAISING ticket prices in ONE season by 100% to 200% is POLITICAL INSANITY. 

You WORK your way up to those levels in 2-3-4 seasons..ESPECIALLY the lower priced seats.

Its short term gain inplace of long term gain economically and politically.

Why would the red sox leave aside the equivalent of HALF OF THE GARDEN at $12 and $26 per seat EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE SOLD OUT EVERY GAME IN 4/5 of a DECADE?????????????????????????

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from havelrstarm. Show havelrstarm's posts

1 Playoff round win in a decade = The Stanley Cup to the Jacobs family

"Keep them hungry, feed them crapp, they'll love it." ~ Jeremy Jacobs

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjw2oo4. Show cjw2oo4's posts

This is rediculous any way you look at it. 

1. We are in a recession.
    2. Bruins only won one playoff series.
    3. The ticket prices should not be on par with Red Sox or Celtics tickets, considering the amount of success that the Pats and Sox have had. 

Bottom line as if people didn't know is JJ cares about the $$$$ that is all.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

I wish I was somewhere on the JJ family tree, I wouldn't mind being a small vine or something.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Cheapest Tix:$12, Bruins Cheapest Tix: $30:
    I wish I was somewhere on the JJ family tree, I wouldn't mind being a small vine or something.
    Posted by bluefox70

Maybe you could be some lichen?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I am going to continue to say it until I am blue in the face!  Professional Sports Tickets Prices are Expensive!  I have not been able to afford tickets to any of the local Big 4 for years, I watch on TV, it's what I can afford.  However, we live in the USA and last I checked it was still a free market economy.  It is simple supply and demand.  Some people can afford the tickets and some can't. There is nothing wrong with that.  STOP THE WHINING!  I would love to drive a Mercedes Convertible as well, but I can only afford a 2000 Ford Taurus wagon.  I don't whine to Mercedes that their cars are too expensive! 

Another thing, who paid for the TD BAnk Garden?  The Jacob's did, with their own money!  No tax dollars like many other athletic facilities including $70 million dollars of MA tax payer money to build Gillette Stadium.  I think the Jacob's have all the rights in the world to pay back that note any way they see fit.

Shut up already and just root for the team or become a fan of an AHL club and get your cheep seats!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Fact:
    Good Team = Expensive Seats
    Bad Team = Cheap Seats

This is simple economics people:  given a limited supply: the higher the demand, the higher the price. 

The same people who are complaining about Jacobs jacking up the price of the tickes are the same ones who would be complaining about Jacobs not fielding a good team. If the Bruins didn't have a good team, then people would not want to see them play; therefore the tickes would be cheaper. 

Please get a life and stop complaining about everything. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjlang. Show cjlang's posts

I can only afford to go to a couple games per year anyway.  Prices are high, but I'd live with it and get good seats ($90-$100) without complaining too much.

What really upsets me  is that except for the club-type seats, you have to go onto Stub-Hub or other licensed scalper, and pay double what is already an expensive ticket.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Problem is the Family Section is one setion and apparently none of those seats arer being made available

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from julienrules. Show julienrules's posts

I don't the person is complaining about "everything".

The complaint is--the cheapest Bruins tickets ROSE 200%.

The cheapest tickets are now 150% higher than the cheapest Red Sox tickets.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts