Spooner.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from legolaspinkerton. Show legolaspinkerton's posts

Spooner.

Spooner looks like he has impressed everyone. Fans, management, the coaching staff.

I only saw him at rookie game #2 (where had two goals), but he looked like the real deal. So my questions to you that have watched him more:

1) Does he have a real shot of making the team?

2) I've heard that he could play the first 9 games and then be sent back to juniors. Is this correct? Could this be an option until Savard gets back?

Let me know what you think. Can't wait to watch him tonight.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

Re: Spooner.

I would say that if management thinks that Spooner can A. Bring his weight up during the season, B. compete for a third line center role in which he will be limited in ice time, or C. has such and incredible hockey sense that whatever his size deficiencies he can get by at the NHL level.  Personally, I doubt he will make the NHL roster, but  I would not be suprised if he did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Spooner.:
    [QUOTE]Spooner looks like he has impressed everyone. Fans, management, the coaching staff. I only saw him at rookie game #2 (where had two goals), but he looked like the real deal. So my questions to you that have watched him more: 1) Does he have a real shot of making the team? 2) I've heard that he could play the first 9 games and then be sent back to juniors. Is this correct? Could this be an option until Savard gets back? Let me know what you think. Can't wait to watch him tonight.
    Posted by legolaspinkerton[/QUOTE]

Yes to #2, but I don't think Savard will be back that soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Did not know about that rule the he could possibly play 9 games before being sent back to juniors. Spooner looked really composed tonight but I don't think he has moved past Seguin, Colborne, Sauve or Caron on the depth chart.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Spooner looks like a sure thing, even though he might not make the club this year. He's got some wheels.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Looks like he made great passes before the 3rd period and ot ended. Just the execution didn't follow through after

He does not posses blistering skating speed but his first step is explosive much like Taylor hall and Phil Kessel. Seguin skates smoothly vs being fast than i thought. He needs a step or two before he can get to high speed

Anyways, i think Spooner makes the team. Caron could probably make it but instead of being demoted to the minors he can build his skills in providence and in anytime of the year can be called up. Losing Spooner to the juniors for majority of the year could be a big loss in my opinion. He is ahead of Hamill and Colborne in the centre spot

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Spooner if anything at best for now makes providence because and only because he needs to add some weight and muscle, he is the real deal and along with a couple of others were banking on for the near future. For sure i see either or bartowski or kampfer making the big team pushing hunwick to the trade market, sauve, arniel are close but its that magic # that keeps them in providence for now, caron makes the big club long before xmas..if not now. colbourne is still up in the air, alexandrov goes to the baby Bs. who am i missing ? oh yeah ryder, wheres he been ? hmmm.......applying for a coaching job in providence.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Is it just me, or are all of you seeing what I'm seeing: Spooner is showing flashes of Patrick Kane.

If a rookie plays more than 9 games he can be sent back to junior, but it counts as a year in pro, so he becomes restricted free agent two years down the round.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

Spooner was alot stronger on the puck tonight and  I don't recall him ever getting knocked off of it when he had it.  He squared off against Olesz a few times and, although he is not really that good, Olesz is a big dude, much bigger than Spooner.  A play I saw which embodies his incredible hockey smarts:

About 6/7 seconds before either the 3rd period or the OT period ended, he gets a break down the right side.  He sees only panthers up the middle and up the other side, thus no pass chance.  But he didn't force any pass or shoot it wildly.  He shot the puck, on goal, right into the goalie's glove, thus getting an offensive zone faceoff with a few seconds left.  That is veteran stuff for an 18 year old.

I'd like to see him get at least a 9 game tryout during the regular season.  He has got some unbelieveable quality and is clutch.  Hate to see him in juniors if he can contribute here. Size may be a problem, but based on tonight's performance, it didn't seem to bother him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

You can't send Spooner to providence. He will have to be sent down to peterborough. Which is a shame because you can see he is advanced for that league.

You probably can't compare him to Patrick Kane. Kane is in another level in my opinion offensively. Similiar to Camalleri and Briere that they can single handedly get you goals or easy passes to their teammates. Spooner i see more of the behind the background type of guy but definitely that is effective.

I really like and would be comfortable in having Krejci , Bergeron, Campbell and Spooner play center starting this season. I don't feel comfortable with Hamill, Colborne or Wheeler (shaky passing) playing centre for the parent team

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqIAa7H9T0E

Great first step. He was actually behind Hall before he caught with him in no time. Very smart move to skate to the other side as soon as possible to create a 2 on 1 situation

http://www.nesn.com/2010/09/bruins-rookies-sweep-islanders-with-two-goal-effort-from-ryan-spooner.html

This clip is when he scored the game winner last week. Reading nesn game play by play Spooner tried to do the same thing tonight near the end of the third and OT. Great breakaway speed and plays with energy. Almost did it again

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Well, if Spooner makes the team, you're looking at these lines

Lucic-Krecji-Horton
    Seguin-Bergeron-Recchi
    Wheeler-Spooner-Ryder
    Thornton-Campbell-Paille

That looks fine if the B's are fine with sending Caron down.  In fact, it may make more sense rather than putting Wheeler at Center

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

Flip Thornton and Paille and I think you've got it, titletownfan.  But that is just minor.  If the B's management is truly sold on Spooner (and there is no reason they shouldn't be, he has been awesome), then that is a good opening night lineup.  I still think Ryder will be kept around until either Sturm or Savard come back because they know the guy can score and they need him to become more trade worthy in the beginning of the season.  Caron or Colborne are waiting in the wings and are ready to take his place.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Spooner and Caron will need to score some more points before they can be assured a spot in the lineup. Unlike Marchand who is going to play a goon role , these guys are expected to score points

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Marchand is a gritty guy, but a goon roll? not likely...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Spooner.:
    [QUOTE]Spooner and Caron will need to score some more points before they can be assured a spot in the lineup. Unlike Marchand who is going to play a goon role , these guys are expected to score points
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]

Marchand? Goon role? Brad Marchand?

ROFLMAO. Goon role. Hahahahaa.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

It's been awhile since I've heard all the reasons why this guy or that guy deserve a shot. Things are looking up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

The only thing that ultimately hurts Spooner staying on the team past 9 games is the CBA.  He can't go to the AHL, so if he stays past those 9 games he either is with the B's to stay or Chiarelli sends him back to junior, thus burning a year off of a three-year entry level contract (which he does not have right now). 

When Savard comes back, the third line center must either be moved to a wing or sent to the AHL, depending on who it is.  Thus beyond 9 games it probably won't be Spooner at third line center even if he plays outstandingly. 

Unless Spooner can also play wing effectively.

Sections
Shortcuts