Stanley Cup Contender as Constituted?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Stanley Cup Contender as Constituted?

Forwards:
    Bergeron (21), Lucic (20), Savard (20), Ryder (19), Horton (25), Krejci (15) , Sturm (7), Recchi (18), Paille (10), Thornton(2), Seguin (24), Campbell (5), Wheeler (19), Colborne, Sauve, Marchand, Hamill, Caron, Reich

Defense:
    Chara (13), Seidenberg (4), Ference (1), Boychuk (8), Hunwick (6), Stuart (3), McQuaid (1), Alexandrov

Goal:
    Rask, Thomas

The numbers in parenthesis are the goal totals that I project from these players this season.  In total it equals 241 goals for 13 forwards and 7 defense, which would put this team in the top 10 in scoring.  These predictions are essentially their averages.  The big question mark is Seguin's 24.  I feel this team is balanced with size, toughness, playmaking, scoring, defense, special teams and goaltending.  The two tangibles that I question are team speed and depth on defense.  As constituted, this team is a Stanley Cup Contender!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Re: Stanley Cup Contender as Constituted?

No doubt about it! But everybody loves talking about the fantasy trades that are never going to happen, the only thing the bruins are going to have to worry about is health and seguin development 1st yeat as a rookie

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I think thats an honest looking total, I expect ryder to put up more this year, hopefully more from wheeler as well.. I would relaly love to see lucic approach the regular season the way he does the play offs..

I'd give them a shot

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They should contend.  For one thing, they should be in good shape to win a weak NE with Ottawa's goaltending and loss of both Volchenkov and probably Sutton (Gonchar will help their PP, cost them goals 5-on-5), Buffalo losing both Tallinder and Lydman, the Habs relying on Carrie Fisher Price, and the Laffs being the Laffs.  Also in their favour this year, you would hope, is the availability of talented depth players in Providence.  Even if a Colborne or Caron sticks out of camp, Providence ought to be able to send up one or two players with the talent to fill in on a scoring line for a short to medium stretch without sending the team into a tailspin a la last January.

Top 3 seed gives them home ice and a weaker opponent, though we saw how well that theory works this past playoff.  Depth means that, even in the grind of the playoffs, they should be able to weather short to mid-term losses better than in the past.  You probably can't replace a Krejci the way he was playing when he went down, but a 50% upgrade on what Whitfield might bring could be enough to get through to the semis.  If you get to the conference finals, I'd call that contending - it's top four after all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Forwards:
    Bergeron (27), Lucic (25), Savard (22), Ryder (25), Horton (36), Krejci (22) , Sturm (9), Recchi (15), Paille (14), Thornton(1), Seguin (24), Campbell (1), Wheeler (27), Colborne, Sauve, Marchand, Hamill, Caron, Reich-----(All 10)

Defense:
    Chara (15), Seidenberg (6), Ference (1), Boychuk (10), Hunwick (10), Stuart (3), McQuaid (1), Alexandrov(3)

Goal:
    Rask, Thomas

Total 307
    ONLY IF...

Savard stays put, Luc Sav and Hort a line...
    Krej Wheel and Ryd a line...
    Berg, Recc and Seg a line
    the rest is a mixmatch,
    If Pail and Camp pick up the majority of PK, Seg  slides into this role with Wheel, then Berg and Krej can stay better rested for even strength and PP with Sav...
    PP goes back to top 5 in league not bottom 5...
    All the major components stay healthy, Sturm not included, and when he returns if traded, give his extra to Rec Berg and Seg!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Going by that lineup, they still can't score.

Pretender.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

boston if they stay healthy is 1 of top 5 teams in nhl...absolute shot at the cup  3 legit lines...   how can people say not enough off?     svay horton lucic     krejci ryder wheeler (bs best line 2 yrs ago)  rex bergy seguin   throts paille campbell   sturm hurt to dec    thats prob the best 3 top lines in all of nhl

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Contender.  Cannot wait for the season to start!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Contender now and for the next decade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bergeron (24), Lucic (25), Savard (20), Ryder (18), Horton (36), Krejci (35) , Sturm (7), Recchi (20), Paille (17).

I say Krejci really breaks out goal wise this upcoming season. No more pass first anymore well because he's got 2 bags of donuts around him Wheeker and Ryder. Pie Yah is going to pot some of those breakaways this year so much so he gets put on the 2nd PP unit. Rex will continue his chemistry with Bergeron they got better as the playoffs went on and as Kevin Allen from USA Today said Mark just might be the steal of free agency. Horton gets way more than 25 and Lucic looks good because he has Savard and Nathan with him.

Chara (21), Seidenberg (8), Ference (4), Boychuk (15),  Stuart (5), McQuaid (4), Alexandrov (3).

PC with big smiles because he traded nothing for Manchuk and then retained him Chiarelli gets to beat his chest. Johnny starts to really hone that howitzer. Chara needs to get more cause he has to justify his new extension he will. Hunwick gone before camp concludes. Bruins bring in a puckmover in December hopefully McCabe.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

The Black and Gold future is bright, but I have to say pretender for next season with that particular lineup.

More tinkering is required.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

i think if they can somehow pickup another scoring winger definite contenders.
    with the current lineup..it wouldnt suprise me either way.

im excited for the season regardless.  definitely going to be a good season fun season for the B's...CANT WAIT!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

if you really look at the bruins roster as of now and providence you should be very happy that it appears the bruins will be very competative  for many years to come....contender now and for the forseeable future...alot of very young talent that is only going to get better and better including alot of guys that are currently on the big club now

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

#4 - 307 is Washington High, I don't think that is possible, especially in CJ's system.  The B's only had 270 two years ago when they finished 2nd.

SanDog - you're talking a lot of career years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

So much young talent and  the best young goalie since Roy and with a former vienzer winner backing him up.....contender for years to come

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

NAS - Unlike you to not elaborate on your post. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Krejci, Lucic, Manchuk, Paille and Horton have the goods and the surroundings!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Bruins still cannot score, and except for Recchi, have virtually no on ice leadership... 

Coaching is also quite suspect...

Pretender, for sure ! 

Nobody has really put forth any convincing arguments here to change this impression...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Who knew that koolaide also came in Black and Gold ?

The Bruins have to prove that they can actually get to the big show before they can win it...

You, guys, seem to think that 3-0, 3-0, uh-oh ! will be so easily forgotten... 

It doesn't work that way though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I see a couple issues.. One seguins not on half of these lines?
    I think the goals from the D on a couple of these are way to high.. 15 from chara, 10 from boychuk and hunwick, those guys are splitting time in all reality..

17 from paille??  Hes got no finish..

and MeanE, 2 years ago we scored 252, not 270..

I think the bruins will be improved.. but 242 as in the original post is probably accurate (260 high end unless seguin really delivers a 30 goals rookie season)..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Seriously, it's fun to listen to Stanley's musings about how Wheeler will score 50 goals and how the Bruins will win the Cup for the next three years...

But, let's, at least, stay a bit grounded here for Gawd's sake... 

More tinkering is required to be a contender...

Another lottery pick next summer, a new playoff proven head coach, a bit of on ice leadership from a few players, a blockbuster deal for Savard this summer...

And maybe, the Bruins might just make the final four next season... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20092BOSAAAAll&sort=avgGoalsPerGame&viewName=goalsFor

Roler - I got that number on NHL.com

Rmiller - What are your arguments?  Bergeron & Chara aren't on ice leaders?  Sturm was the Captain for Germany in the Olympics.  Krejci was one of the most talked about players at the Olympics for his on ice presence.  Milan Lucic is developing into an on ice leader.  Last Year is last year.  Turn the page.  Show me what you think these players totals will be.  If the B's get 140+ it puts them in the top 10 in the league in scoring.  With Claude's system, #2 in goals allowed last year with 191, and #1 in 08-09 with 190, sure looks convincing to me.  Where's your tangible arguments?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

2 years ago 270 with all youth, Krej, Wheel, Luc, Kess on startout seasons with Berg just back from concussion.

We also carried PJ(6 on top line most of year), Yelle 7, Recchi 10 partial season, Bitz-Sob-Nok-Karsums-St.Pierre-Leht for 7 goals in 114 games and Sturm 7G in 19 games.

With less injuries to star players and the growth we lost due to this and playing with no top line, Hort to replace Kess, Seg to replace the 114 games as noted above, 2 years ago totals should be readily attainable.

Here's hoping anyhow, they are not rose coloured glasses, it is expectations on where I think there players will be with a full team. We actually have players that will be fighting for positions, and it will be nice to see what they can do in Prov-Sauve-Colb-Caron-March-Hamil-Leht-even Riend and Arniel, a better lineup than was there last year and hopefully Riend and Ham have no nagging injuries as this will be Ham's last shot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MassVt. Show MassVt's posts

If they have a chance, it's because they're in a very weak division, and in the weaker conference.

However, it looks like Philly, Pitt and NJ have improved themselves..

They're still going to need TT; lots of goalies have terrible sophomore seasons( Raycroft comes to mind), and Rask hasn't even played a full season yet..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"But, let's, at least, stay a bit grounded here for Gawd's sake... "

Gotta aim high RMiller gotta aim high. Just expectations your acting like some of us jotted down 40 and 50 goals for some of these blokes for gosh sakes...