Start Tim Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

Re: Start Tim Thomas

Fact: Tim Thomas started the season as the bruins #1 goalie.
    He suct. Tuukka took over as the #1 goalie, got the Bruins into the playoffs, beat a higher seeded team, got up 3-0 on this team, had 2 bad games against aformentioned team (with some help from some very shoddy defense) and you people wanna start the 36 year old journeyman goalie that hasn't played in over a month?
    Not a big fan of Clode, but I'm sure glad he's making the call tomorrow.

Yeah I know, Timmy won the Vezina, but Obama won the Nobel prize too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

In Response to Re: Start Tim Thomas:
    You guys are acting like Rask gave up 4 stinkers. Fact is, he only gave up 1 bad goal. Other than that the "defense" hung him out to dry. Ference looked like a JV player, Wideman looked like a deer caught in headlights (again) and Stuart showed signs of rust (understandably so). AND , can someone tell Hunwick he doesn't play left wing? He causes way too many odd man rushes when he gets caught pinching. Anyway, starting Thomas is not the answer. Tuukka got them in the playoffs and past Buffalo, he'll finish the job against Philly.
    Posted by notrolls

Have you watched much of the playoffs? Wideman's been good to great (in 11 games he's mad 2 bad plays) and that has to kill most of the "fans" that have hated him so much all season; Chara has mad a number of errors including getting Krecji killed with a super soft pass oh and the fantastic play that he made to help put the puck on the stick of Gange to win game 4; BTW, Ference and McQuaid have looked like a pair cut from a JV squad in Mexico the entire series, they are AWEFUL. 

I do agree with you on the Stuart and Hunwick calls. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

IMO the time to get Thomas some action was in the last game. He should have been put in after the 3rd goal. It was obvious the B's were flat and Tuukka was getting no support. Putting Timmy in may have sparked the B's and could have made a difference.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda... Hindsight is 20/20.

Rask wasn't the reason the B's lost and he deserves to be back between the pipes for Game 6. As disappointed as I am with the Bruins lack of effort in an important Game 5, I'm not in a panic mode. I believe the B's will regroup and be much more focused tomorrow night. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

In Response to Re: Start Tim Thomas : Have you watched much of the playoffs? Wideman's been good to great (in 11 games he's mad 2 bad plays) and that has to kill most of the "fans" that have hated him so much all season; Chara has mad a number of errors including getting Krecji killed with a super soft pass oh and the fantastic play that he made to help put the puck on the stick of Gange to win game 4; BTW, Ference and McQuaid have looked like a pair cut from a JV squad in Mexico the entire series, they are AWEFUL.  I do agree with you on the Stuart and Hunwick calls. 
    Posted by wil39
    Well, gotta disagree with ya on Wideman. For every 'good' play he makes, he makes 2 bad ones. And yes, I've watched EVERY playoff + reg. season game this year.
    I'll cut McQuade a little slack because he's fresh out of the shute, but Ference...he just got a raise and an extension AND is due for off season surgery....again! He'll probably get hurt on the ride to the hospital. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

IMO the time to get Thomas some action was in the last game. He should have been put in after the 3rd goal. It was obvious the B's were flat and Tuukka was getting no support. Putting Timmy in may have sparked the B's and could have made a difference.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda... Hindsight is 20/20. Rask wasn't the reason the B's lost and he deserves to be back between the pipes for Game 6. As disappointed as I am with the Bruins lack of effort in an important Game 5, I'm not in a panic mode. I believe the B's will regroup and be much more focused tomorrow night. 
    Posted by BruWingFan

Good post, awesome avatar!  lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

In Response to Re: Start Tim Thomas : Well, gotta disagree with ya on Wideman. For every 'good' play he makes, he makes 2 bad ones. And yes, I've watched EVERY playoff + reg. season game this year. I'll cut McQuade a little slack because he's fresh out of the shute, but Ference...he just got a raise and an extension AND is due for off season surgery....again! He'll probably get hurt on the ride to the hospital. 
    Posted by notrolls

I just don't get the Ference thing at all. Extension and a raise, my job, I miss 20% of my work days, I'm fired, not rewarded.

LOL - (He'll probably get hurt on the ride to the hospital and the Potatoes McQuaid).

I also don't get the hatred toward Wideman. He's had 2 great years and 1 down year and honestly, I think he's played very well in the Playoffs. No way he's doubled up on the bad either, not with Hunwick as his mate, if he did, no chance his numbers are where they are - leading all the Bs Dmen.

POSNAMEGPGAPTS+/-PPGSHGGWGPIMSHOTSPCTATOI
    DDennis Wideman11191030004224.5526:09
    DZdeno Chara11235100129277.4128:33
    DJohnny Boychuk1123511004277.4127:03
    DMatt Hunwick1106600002140.0022:51
    DMark Stuart2000-3000400.0012:15
    DAdam McQuaid9000-4000630.0010:11
    DAndrew Ference11011-80001890.0015:12

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from blue17. Show blue17's posts

I really don't care what goalie starts- what will make my night is seeing Mr. Wheeler as a healthy scratch.  Good Christ, what he brings to the table is anyone's guess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmikebruins8. Show mrmikebruins8's posts

they lost a big part of the scoring that is a blow now they got 2 rookies playing that dont have nhl playoff exp and again the def let rask down they got to play harder

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Fact: Tim Thomas started the season as the bruins #1 goalie. He suct. Tuukka took over as the #1 goalie, got the Bruins into the playoffs, beat a higher seeded team, got up 3-0 on this team, had 2 bad games against aformentioned team (with some help from some very shoddy defense) and you people wanna start the 36 year old journeyman goalie that hasn't played in over a month? Not a big fan of Clode, but I'm sure glad he's making the call tomorrow. Yeah I know, Timmy won the Vezina, but Obama won the Nobel prize too.
    Posted by notrolls

I love the way Rask has played this year.Do I think he is better than Thomas?Yes I do.Those two bad games you mention happen to be two games that have killed any momentum that we had.It's all about timing and circumstances.When Thomas struggled the B's didn't hesitate to give Rask his shot why should they act any differently now?You don't play favorites at this point in the season.Like I said those two games he has lost are not some meaningless regular season games at the end of a long road trip,they were two games that we lost that have put the Flyers back in a series in  which they had no business being in after being down 3-0..If it sounds like I am blaming Rask entirely,I am not.Start TT in  games 6 and if he loses we put Rask back in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

yeah good idea just run tuuka confidence going into the biggest game of the season to put mr sieve in...
    Posted by lucicanator17

So we are to prioritze Rask's ''confidence'' over winning the game?Have you watched the last two games?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

as some have said, there was one true shot to give Tim some time, Rask some rest, it was the 3P of last game. Julien's refusal to lift Tuuka was an indictment on TT and a message that this is Tuuka's team. So enough about last year's Vezina Trophy winner. His own team, coach, gm has no confidence in him...None

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

I really don't care what goalie starts- what will make my night is seeing Mr. Wheeler as a healthy scratch.  Good Christ, what he brings to the table is anyone's guess.
    Posted by blue17

Too funny.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Start Tim Thomas : I love the way Rask has played this year.Do I think he is better than Thomas?Yes I do.Those two bad games you mention happen to be two games that have killed any momentum that we had.It's all about timing and circumstances.When Thomas struggled the B's didn't hesitate to give Rask his shot why should they act any differently now?You don't play favorites at this point in the season.Like I said those two games he has lost are not some meaningless regular season games at the end of a long road trip,they were two games that we lost that have put the Flyers back in a series in  which they had no business being in after being down 3-0..If it sounds like I am blaming Rask entirely,I am not.Start TT in  games 6 and if he loses we put Rask back in.
    Posted by DallasSmith

Many people who "work' in the hockey business say the B's have the best goalie tandem in the league.  I'm surprised that TT wasn't given a look after Philly's 3rd goal Monday.  I don't blame Rask for anything.  Yes, the B's need to score.  Yes, I believe Tuuka is the future, but I also know that TT has stolen a few for the home team this year.  Remember those late season games against Toronto?.  The team was a no show, and Thomas stood on his head.
    Putting TT in tonite is a bit risky....at this time of year, anything is risky.  The upside is....it could be the beginning of another surge, it could positively change the dynamic.  Like anything else...it could also be disaster.  It may be wise to consider for game 6.  A change in game seven if necessary, regardless of the score tonite, seems like tactical suicide to me. 
    The one thing I'm pretty sure about is this.
    If the Bruins do in fact lose this series, without ever excercising the option of playing last years best goalie...the professional hockey world will be all over management for not doing so at some point in the series.  Fact is, this teams goalie got lit up pretty good the last couple of games.
    The Bruins horrid offensive(as well as defensive) showing on Monday is a valid point in the defense of Rask.  He's not to blame, however, success, and momentum in hockey is sometimes just about shuffling the deck.  At some point in the future, Thomas will undoubtedly have another outstanding game, whether it's here or somewhere else.
    The question is....could it be tonite?
    I think this option should be looked at long and hard. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

More importantly: Which will do Rask's confidence more damage A) Getting swapped out for a fresh goalie after two games where he did not look good or B) Potenially losing three or even four games in a row and having all summer to stew over it?

In Response to Re: Start Tim Thomas : So we are to prioritze Rask's ''confidence'' over winning the game?Have you watched the last two games?
    Posted by DallasSmith

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

Tough call on this one...I cannot stand Thomas, think he's a flopper & have bashed him for a few years...however this team is flat & needs some fresh energy installed for this game!!!  If Julien does not call upon the youngsters like Marchand-Hamill up front vs. Thornton-Whitfield, then maybe Thomas should start, maybe the guys will play tougher in front of him as they have almost solely relied on Rask bailing out their mistakes the last month or so!!?? 

I am or never will be an nhl coach, these are some of the decisions that make their jobs so difficult!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

More importantly: Which will do Rask's confidence more damage A) Getting swapped out for a fresh goalie after two games where he did not look good or B) Potenially losing three or even four games in a row and having all summer to stew over it? In Response to Re: Start Tim Thomas :
    Posted by bandgbleeder

Pretty sure Rask's confidence isn't an issue at all.  He's our number one, he knows it, and he knows this team wants him here for a long time.  He's also a professional goalie, who understands he's probably not going to play every game, and shouldn't expect to.  If this were the regular season, a change at this point would be a no brainer.  Any goalie understands that, and the great ones come back fresher and stronger.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Tough call on this one...I cannot stand Thomas, think he's a flopper & have bashed him for a few years...however this team is flat & needs some fresh energy installed for this game!!!  If Julien does not call upon the youngsters like Marchand-Hamill up front vs. Thornton-Whitfield, then maybe Thomas should start, maybe the guys will play tougher in front of him as they have almost solely relied on Rask bailing out their mistakes the last month or so!!??  I am or never will be an nhl coach, these are some of the decisions that make their jobs so difficult!!!
    Posted by yep123

I believe you're dead on Yep.  It is a tough call, and tough calls have to at least be considered.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

The reason why I started this post was to bring up the fact that Rask needs a game to recharge his batteries if we want to compete for "THE CUP". After 2 games which he yielded 9 goals against starts to make me wonder if Game 6 is the best time to give this kid a night off.

Rask is still your playoff starter - but maybe this night off sparks the team and the goalie competition. CJ shouldve thrown Thomas in after the 2nd period. that wouldve been smart management.

Thomas could shutout the Flyers in game 6 but you still go back to the Kid in Game 1 of the Wales Conference Finals.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

A goaltending change could work.........it could also backfire miserably. I don't envy the decision that lies ahead for Julien should a game 7 be necessary. However, like someone else said here........he's likely made his bet with Rask, unless he either gets hurt, or absolutely lays an egg in game 6.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfb30. Show sfb30's posts

Was rask outstanding in game 5..No. But no Bruin had a good game
    Was rask a liability in game 4...YES...Some soft goals.
    I think Juilen goes back to Rask for game 6. But if Rask craps the bed your now looking at a goalie that needs to find his game and win a game 7 for you.
    If the bruins loose game 7 and rask is the goalie and he plays poor...Your going to have a lot of people question why your Vezina goalie was on the bench.

Its Rask or Bust for the coach Julien. But if the Bruins do happen to loose this series and Rask is your goalie for game 6 and 7 you need worry about this kids confidence.

He will be your goalie of record if Philly does come back and win this series.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

SFB30 - great points...think youre right on. CJ has the chance to dispell any Rask confidence levels by giving him a rest for Game 6.

Imagine if we lose this series with Rask in net for Game 6 and 7. Bruin fans will have a whole offseason to argue is Rask ready enough to get rid of Tim Thomas.

If we win theres a no brainer on Tim Thomas future...adios.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

At this point it's Rask until the B's are eliminated. Too late to fall back on a goalie who has'nt played in weeks. The B's should of used Thomas in round one to keep him in game shape but chose to ride the hot goalie until he burned out and it might cost them the Philly series but since Rask is young lets hope he has the stamina to close this series out tonight. It would also help greatly if the B's could score first and score at least 4 goals to take the pressure off Rask. The forwards need to step up and start playing physical and I don't mean Savard. Where has Lucic, Ryder, Recchi, Bergeron, Sobotka, Thornton, Begin gone, I think their making vacation plans. And Whitfield is absolutely useless. I know he does'nt play much but when he does it's a waste of space on the roster and ice. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Im telling you, its Carey Price all over again if you leave him in there.  I dont think he can pull the Bruins out of this.  I think you HAVE to play Timmy (he shoulda been put in last game for sure) and even if Timmy has a bad game, it might clear Rasks head and give him a chance in game 7.  If Timmy comes through and plays huge, keep him in for game 7 too.  They have last years vezina goalie riding the bench when Rask started sinking in game 4 and floundered in game 5.  Thats a joke in itself.  If the coach doesnt have the smarts/balls to do whats painfully obvious, the Bruins have no chance and the fans mine as well not watch.  I think its a pretty obvious decision and cant understand why nobody else sees it that cut and dry (well, I do, they are TT haters).  If this was reversed (TT playing like Rask) EVERYONE on here would not only be calling for Rask to be put in place, but theyd be calling for TT's head, CJ to be fired and for TT to be sent to the PB's immediately.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kegarret. Show kegarret's posts

it doesn't matter who starts tonight. B's will win.  pointless argument.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rush2112err. Show rush2112err's posts

timmy woulda won game 4 so let's give timmy the start tonight insted of tuuku rusk.

Sections
Shortcuts