STATS SUMMARY: Last Year vs. This Year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

STATS SUMMARY: Last Year vs. This Year

Stats for the first 13 games, 2009

Stats for the first 13 games, 2008

Goal scoriing is an issue, though not as significant an issue as we might have thought, taken on its own. Bs are -6 relative to last year in the scoring department (6 fewer) and +2 goals against.

No stats will tell the whole story on their own; such is the nature of stats. Obviously. But taking into account goals for and against, excluding shootout goals, is definitely a good starting point. And it's also a good stopping point for speculation about certain claims that are being made to the effect that the Bs are doing as well or poorly as last year by this time.

These numbers won't tell us anything at all about causes, since correlation doesn't imply causation and doesn't give us any information at all about the interesting stuff. For that we need interpretation and a serious analysis of what's different. But what's different is essentially everything--or almost everything.

The rosters are different and the Bs are not just missing 2 key players--they're missing 2 of the key players, hands down. Looch creates space and opportunity, as we all know very well, and Savy creates offensive opportunities par excellence, and often from nothing.

Good news: Things should get much better once this handicap is gone.
    Bad news: A team that's so dependent on one or two players for offensive production is by its very nature incomplete. That is, depth is important but doesn't only involve scoring.

The notion of depth hangs on whether the team has starters and finishers. It would appear that at present, both are lacking. That's bad news because you need both departments to have real depth. So it will be nice to get the starters back (opportunity creators), Looch & Savy, but the rest of the finishers seem to be quite useless without these 2 key figures. So the depth on this team is an illusion created by a massive reliance on the starters.

More bad news, I suppose. But to make light of misery, it's a positive thing that management figured this out now (assuming they've figured this out at all), with the loss of their backbone (Looch) and their production manager (Savy). Usually, you have to figure these things out with hypotheticals. Well, it's here and it's clear.

Ailment diagnosed. Treatment? Figure it out, and do it fast, boys, because from the stats on my blogs and videos, it's safe to conclude fans are losing interest.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

Re: STATS SUMMARY: Last Year vs. This Year

bottom line after 13 games last yr  17 pts this yr 13  not a big diffeence prticually if u add w rmissingour 1st line

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from littlejack. Show littlejack's posts

Yeah you're right Bruins Unite. The Bruins are well on thier way to 116 points and 1st place in the Eastern Conference!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: STATS SUMMARY: Last Year vs. This Year:
    Yeah you're right Bruins Unite. The Bruins are well on their way to 116 points and 1st place in the Eastern Conference!!!!!
    Posted by littlejack

You might want to actually read the post before ridiculing it:  BU's point is that the nature of their scoring troubles while Savard and Lucic are out suggests that the Bruins' scoring depth is only an illusion, and that if they (be it players or management) don't find a solution to that flaw, the team is in trouble.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

TIn Response to Re: STATS SUMMARY: Last Year vs. This Year:
    In Response to Re: STATS SUMMARY: Last Year vs. This Year : You might want to actually read the post before ridiculing it:  BU's point is that the nature of their scoring troubles while Savard and Lucic are out suggests that the Bruins' scoring depth is only an illusion, and that if they (be it players or management) don't find a solution to that flaw, the team is in trouble.
    Posted by DrCC

There is one great weakness to BU's argument- What about the B's second line?  Last year, they were on fire and had decent numbers.  This year-what is their pace?  He doesn't tell us because they are producing half as much.  Thus, the problem is much more than losing the top line from last year.  Production is down from the entire team.

The B's are in a funk right now-it isn't the end of times but guys have to start playing to their potential.  Problems right now are more than just injuries-it is a lack of consistency PLUS injuries.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Yeah you're right Bruins Unite. The Bruins are well on thier way to 116 points and 1st place in the Eastern Conference!!!!!
    Posted by littlejack

Can you read?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Stinger, good point. Should have thought to add that Looch was circulated quite a bit last season, moving from one line to another, as need dictated.

What would sewttle the point once and for all would be to track who was doing the scoring, and what kind of role Looch & Savy played in game winning goals, as well as momentum changing plays and goals. A superficial analysis tells me they played a big role.

On a similar note, I don't foresee Kessel doing much with the team Toronto's got now. No Looch/Savy backup. He will be darting impressively down to the offensive zone all alone, and he will likely be injured again by the big boys soon enough. Will he even have time to get into the good ol' toronto groove before the playoffs? Dunno. But he's got lots of money!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You can't underestimate the change in roles for guys when the top players go down.  One of two things can happen - a guy or guys can flourish when given a bigger scoring role, or they can wilt facing greater pressure.  Krejci flourished two years back when Savard was out with a Begined back.  Sobotka shows signs of growing into a bigger role.  Bergeron is finding his old game.  But the trickle-down for chemistry has been huge.  "Give it time" will probably get someone searching for images of Polyanna, but given a choice of Poly and Chicken Little, I'll at least stick with my own species.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCan. Show BruinsCan's posts

It's October, the B's were not all that great until November last year.  That peak lasted until January sometime.  
    The two teams that made it to the Eastern final were not even in the playoffs for good stretches of that time. 
    They peaked in late in the season and into the playoffs.  With the Bruins injuries and the way they have needed to make some major improvements could lead the Bruins to Peak later rather then earlier.  If this team is healthy and peaking at the right time, they would be in better shape then last years run.
    I'd take that senario over the record months the Bruins had in Novemeber and December last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealist. Show TheRealist's posts

A superficial analysis tells me they played a big role.

Posted by BruinsUnite

LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from epavao. Show epavao's posts

In Response to STATS SUMMARY: Last Year vs. This Year:
    Stats for the first 13 games, 2009 Stats for the first 13 games, 2008 Goal scoriing is an issue, though not as significant an issue as we might have thought, taken on its own. Bs are -6 relative to last year in the scoring department (6 fewer) and +2 goals against. No stats will tell the whole story on their own; such is the nature of stats. Obviously. But taking into account goals for and against, excluding shootout goals, is definitely a good starting point. And it's also a good stopping point for speculation about certain claims that are being made to the effect that the Bs are doing as well or poorly as last year by this time. These numbers won't tell us anything at all about causes, since correlation doesn't imply causation and doesn't give us any information at all about the interesting stuff. For that we need interpretation and a serious analysis of what's different. But what's different is essentially everything--or almost everything. The rosters are different and the Bs are not just missing 2 key players--they're missing 2 of the key players , hands down. Looch creates space and opportunity, as we all know very well, and Savy creates offensive opportunities par excellence , and often from nothing. Good news: Things should get much better once this handicap is gone. Bad news: A team that's so dependent on one or two players for offensive production is by its very nature incomplete. That is, depth is important but doesn't only involve scoring. The notion of depth hangs on whether the team has starters and finishers. It would appear that at present, both are lacking. That's bad news because you need both departments to have real depth. So it will be nice to get the starters back (opportunity creators), Looch & Savy, but the rest of the finishers seem to be quite useless without these 2 key figures. So the depth on this team is an illusion created by a massive reliance on the starters. More bad news, I suppose. But to make light of misery, it's a positive thing that management figured this out now (assuming they've figured this out at all), with the loss of their backbone (Looch) and their production manager (Savy). Usually, you have to figure these things out with hypotheticals. Well, it's here and it's clear. Ailment diagnosed. Treatment? Figure it out, and do it fast, boys, because from the stats on my blogs and videos, it's safe to conclude fans are losing interest.
    Posted by BruinsUnite

thumbnail

Keep the faith

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Watching the first period against the Red Wings... it's hard to remain positive.

I've already said I think their last 6 games were much better than their first... but I don't ever think I've seen less heart in any game so far this year than these first 20 minutes tonight.

This is mostly good discussion here. Or, at least, helpful to me because I'm having a hard time guessing how to get out of this funk?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

There are no stats that show effort, or in the b's case...lack of.

There are not a hard team to play against and that is the simple fact.

Once they relize they need to put in a effort to win they will.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bru1ns. Show bru1ns's posts

if i remember they went into a tail spin at the end of last year as well and didn't finish first overall because of it. What is there record since feb of last year.

.500??

I want to know who the real bruins are the exciting team from last year. They were a very close knit team that beleived in each other and did everything together. They couldn't score this year if the game depended on it, and we know what happens because of it, they lose!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

To the sheep-accusation people:
    Do you just read my user name or do you read my posts?

Cut that.

Can you read? No reply on your part will be considered a reply in the negative. (I should be accustomed to this kind of ignorance by now, but it never ceases to amaze me.)

To everyone else:

Far from being optimistic--and I'm quite the optimist--I am seeing a massive black hole in this team and I don't know how they're going to fill it.

It can't be filled by a bunch of 20-goal scorers. Sorry. What's needed is a natural goal scorer who's backed by the big guys and a solid defense, as well as a forward like Savy & Looch.

But we all know Savy's not a goal scorer by nature. When Kessel was here, we knew Savy was the play maker. Now that Kess is gone, Julien refers to him as "our top goal scorer". Well, that isn't saying much now, is it? Let's not kid ourselves. Savy isn't going to cause Ryder and Wheeler and Sturm to suddenly start scoring, and he ain't gonna sink those pucks himself 35 times a year.

Black hole.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

It's October, the B's were not all that great until November last year.  That peak lasted until January sometime.   The two teams that made it to the Eastern final were not even in the playoffs for good stretches of that time.  They peaked in late in the season and into the playoffs.  With the Bruins injuries and the way they have needed to make some major improvements could lead the Bruins to Peak later rather then earlier.  If this team is healthy and peaking at the right time, they would be in better shape then last years run. I'd take that senario over the record months the Bruins had in Novemeber and December last year.
    Posted by BruinsCan

BC, I thought the same thing until I looked at the stats, which are posted above in black and white. Not sure where you're getting this because it's false.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ignaceontario. Show ignaceontario's posts

There are no stats that show effort, or in the b's case...lack of. There are not a hard team to play against and that is the simple fact. Once they relize they need to put in a effort to win they will.
    Posted by thefly8

what this team has to do to get into the game is everybody has to be told to go out and break the pucking eggs in there pants if your going to lose at least lose with dignity and be tough about for pucks sake. thats the only beef i have the scoring will come i just want to see this team play tough

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

What the team needs is the attitude that comes with their best shiite disturbers. Namely,

There's no FAKE emotion in that face wash. He'd have broken K's nose if this were a street fight.

Where's that Bruin soul?

Sections
Shortcuts