Stay the course - 1 year year of building youth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

The Bruins are assembling a strong core of young players.

The contracts of Murray, Fernandez, Axelsson, and Alberts all expire after this year which will provide cap space and flexibility going forward.

No one will be taking on the Murray / Fernandez contracts.  Buyouts are very punitive for this year which wont create alot of space.

My vote would be to spend one more year developing the young core of the team and then use the cap space next year to fill in the holes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

I agree all these guys talking about buying out Murray and Fernendez are not looking at what that means for next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

I also agree. Murrray and Fernandez can still be useful and we are strapped with them, so we should bite the bullet, hold onto them until there contarcts expire then we could take a run at somebody like Gaborik that is a UFA next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

if they do nothing, I suppose its not the worst thing that could happen, however, are we not falling into a Sinden/O'Connell strategy assuming all of the free agents would sign here in July 2009 because of all the cap space?  Free agents want sign with teams that are progressing.  Money doesnt hurt either.  Hate to see a similar Free agent class like they had post lockout again in '09.  you guys remember, that bumper crop of Zhamnov, Leetch come our way.

granted the team should incrementally improve, but they absolutely need to add to this team via free agency.  While everyone is focused on Hossa,  im ok with adding solid NHL character guys that wont break the bank.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

Yeah I agree maybe sign a d-man like Liles or Hainsey and leave it at that until '09 when the books clear up a little.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

We could add Lyles or Hainsey on defence or add guys like Roloson, Stilman, Ryder or Vrbata on offence.  I would be happy with just increasing our depth agian this year as it leaves us in a great possition next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Doitbruins. Show Doitbruins's posts

In my opinion this type of sentiment is the effect of the Jacobs ownership.  Not making a splash now would be a mistake.  The Bruins have people like me who grew up watching the Bs in the 80s with echoes of the early 70s still very strong paying attention again after years of not caring thanks to that nice run to the playoffs and taking the Habs to 7 games.  If the Bruins can somehow get Hossa that would be by far the best move right now, not reaching for someone right now who could really help would be a mistake.  I don't want another 'wait for next year' approach.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

well said doitbruins!

36 years and counting. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

Unfortunatley in a salary cap era you can't get everybody you want to build an instant winner. Sometimes you have to let youth develop and make a splash when the timing is right. Don't get me wrong I would love to have Hossa and Campbell but simple math says it ain't happening!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

problem with your thinking is they will be maxed out and Hossa alone does not get them to the cup. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveGir. Show DaveGir's posts

There is no guarantee that there will be a top forward available in 2009, teams are really trying to lock stars up early, and not let them hit free agency.

Of course, Hossa has always been about the money, and we need to make sure that in going after him he's not bid to insane heights. He was traded from Ottawa to Atlanta because he cornered them on contract. (He was traded the afternoon he signed the contract) I'm not sure Hossa is worth the 7 years/$49 mil he's already turned down, bidding could get really ugly. By the end of a long term expensive contract, it's possible that it would look like a horrible contract. I hope in 6 years we're not looking at a $9 million guy playing on the 3'rd line. Similar to what the Islanders ended up with in Yashin (only sooner).

I'm still lukewarm about putting all our eggs in 1 basket, any player is 1 hit away from mediocracy. If PC fails to land Hossa, someone will be doing some "I told you so's" over the next few years based on whether he was worth the contract. Personally, I doubt he will be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

come to realize that some fans will complain if they sign Hossa and some fans will complain if they don't.
    the trolls will be the ones bitching no matter what they do. they will either say that the bs are too cheap to sign him or are stupid for over spending. I can already say which "fans" will be the ones bitching even though free agency hasn't started yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Doitbruins. Show Doitbruins's posts

I understand it's a big risk to put all eggs in one basket but this team needs to create some posative equity.  And by the way the 7 year 50 Mil deal reported wasn't reality, it was really a 5 year deal at around 7.5 to 7.9 to match the length of Crosby's deal.  Hossa will be expensive but I will be shocked if he tops much more than 8 mil a year.  Again, I realize that's expensive, but if he's a powerful two way player who scores 30 to 50 goals isn't that worth a bit more than Chara at 7.5 Mil?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Here is the reality.  If we buy out Murray and Manny to sign Hossa that leaves us right against the cap.  Next year we have TT of the books at 1.1 and Kessel and Krejci are RFA.  If we add Rask at a cap hit of 3.2 it covers all three salaries leaving no money to sign either Kessel or Krejci.

I am sorry but I like the future with Kessel and Krejci more than the future with Hossa.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Doitbruins. Show Doitbruins's posts

I'll take Hossa over Kessel and Krejci.  Kessel is Samsanov 2.0 and Krejci's highest upside is 2nd line.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

If you check hockey future they have Krejci as a top line forward.  He will end be a more physical version of Savard and will eventually replace him on the top line

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

Hossa's awsome but i'm with Orr on this one keep the future scorers not the one that will help us for 2 years until Savards gone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tank0r. Show tank0r's posts

Hang onto Murray and Fernandez for now and maybe go after 2 of Ryder, Malone, Bertuzzi, Liles or Redden.  If we can get 2 of those players then buyout one of them when Windeman's arbitration award comes.  Plus with Manny and Muzz expiring next year they could be valuable come trade deadline time if they have a decent start to the season.  Or we could always send them down to Providence which wold wipe out their entire salary.

Why is everyone so impatient in saying we need to spend all of our money right now on Hossa and possibly screw over our future cap?  A 7 year deal for a 29 year old player could be a huge disaster in the later years of the contract.  If he'll play for $7-8 million for 4-5 years he might be worth it but if he's looking for 6-7 years then I say pass.  Adding only Hossa this year does not make this team a Cup contender.  We have other needs too.

Sections
Shortcuts